* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

[h2]Walsh: 'I'll second-guess myself forever'[/h2][h3]Team president knows the T-Mac trade could cost Knicks a shot at Carmelo Anthony[/h3]
nba_g_dantoni_walsh_576.jpg
Mike Stobe/Getty ImagesMike D'Antoni and Donnie Walsh came up empty in the LeBron hunt. Now they're stalking Carmelo.

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- If Donnie Walsh hadn't traded a 2012 first-round draft pick to Houston last February when he was in salary-dump mode, he might have possessed enough assets to acquire Carmelo Anthony before the start of training camp.

But that pick is gone, and the president of the New York Knicks can't stop wondering whether he made a monumental mistake.

"I'll second-guess myself forever on that," Walsh said Wednesday in a sitdown with reporters who regularly cover the team.

Walsh sent the Knicks' 2012 first-round pick, plus the right to swap first-round picks in 2011, to the Rockets along with Jared Jeffries and Jordan Hill in the deal that brought Tracy McGrady to the Knicks.

Walsh made the trade to clear enough cap space to make a run at two max-salary free agents, but the Knicks struck out in their attempts to land LeBron James and Chris Bosh, settling instead for Amare Stoudemire and Raymond Felton.

With Anthony now on the trade market, and with the Knicks one of his preferred destinations as ESPN.com's Mark Stein and Chad Ford are reporting, Walsh has all the assets the Nuggets are seeking -- a large, expiring contract, belonging to Eddy Curry, and young talent such as Anthony Randolph, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Toney Douglas -- except for the future No. 1 pick(s) that Denver desires.

(New York cannot trade its 2011 or 2013 picks because of an NBA rule prohibiting teams from going consecutive years without a first-rounder, so the best Walsh can offer right now is a 2014 first-round pick.)

"I think we got something out of it that allowed us to bring in 10 new players. But I didn't like it when I did it. I don't like doing financial trades. They're not basketball trades," Walsh said.

"I was going back and forth on that deal, and I guess I thought the ability to have enough money to get two stars, or get one star and one or two other players, that worked. We got Amare and Felton, so that worked," Walsh said.

"But you always want to keep first-round picks. The '12 pick I didn't like doing. I remember the night before we did it, thinking, 'I don't like doing this, but we're going to do it.' And I'll second-guess myself forever on that."

Walsh was upbeat on most other fronts, with the notable exception of Curry -- and the mystery of what kind of shape he'll be in when he shows up for his physical Thursday. (All the other members of the Knicks already have been taking part in informal practice sessions.)

Walsh said he had not had contact of any kind with Curry over the summer, but had been told through third-party sources that Curry was working out. Walsh then made the following comparison, one that very well might infuriate a certain member of TNT's national broadcast team:

"Players don't have to come in. It's their choice. And what I've tried to do over the years is not make any kind of judgment on that. Don't get mad at them because they don't come, but when they come they've got to be in shape. So we'll see when Eddy comes. I'm going to be optimistic and think he'll be ready to play," Walsh said. "I know this, when I was in Indiana, Reggie Miller never came back in the summer. He came back the day before training camp, got his physical, but he was in shape ready to go. He had worked out all summer."

Walsh and D'Antoni were most effusive in their praise for Anthony Randolph, raving about his ability to rebound the ball and bring it up court with the skills of a point guard, as well as his ability to defend any position on the court (or so D'Antoni claimed), 1 through 5.

D'Antoni also came up with a mouthful when he said incoming rookie free-agent center Timofey Mozgov is "maybe our most athletic guy," and Walsh said he signed free agent Patrick Ewing Jr. in large part because of his ability to defend opposing shooting guards.

Walsh and D'Antoni said guard Kelenna Azubuike will miss the start of training camp as he continues to rehab a patella tendon knee injury, but he could be ready for the beginning of the regular season.

Both men set expectations somewhat low, saying making the playoffs will be the team's No. 1 goal this season.

But throughout the 30-minute meeting, the underlying current was whether the Knicks were confident of their chances of landing Carmelo Anthony.

"Part of my job is looking out there to see if there can be a deal in order to get a player like that, [a top-10 player] who you know can fit with your team. And not give up too much. You don't want to basically bring the team back where it was by making a big trade that takes the majority of the players you have," Walsh said.

"There's trades you'd make and there's trades you wouldn't make. That's about as good as I can do. I've traded people that were very good and I've traded people who weren't so good. It just depends on how you see your team and what they need, and if that player is available and you don't have to destroy the whole team, then you consider it."

And if you have a first-round pick to throw into the deal, it makes it that much easier. Hence, the regrets over including the 2012 pick in the McGrady deal, and the ensuing conundrum of figuring out how one can be obtained.
"So I need to go out and see if I can get one, and I don't know how to do that yet," Walsh said

By Chris Sheridan

‘Melo’s future dominates preseason intrigue

The Denver Nuggets have a young, inexperienced and unsure front office now, and they’ll likely make an immense mistake by trading Carmelo Anthony before the start of the season.

What’s the rush to make yourself a garbage team? Why cave to agents Worldwide Wes and Leon Rose so quickly?

If they do, it’s a self-imposed panic,

I really hope Melo gets traded to another team before the start of the season... I don't wanna hear about this up until the trade deadline.
grin.gif

Joking aside, Magic's Howard returning with new, necessary 'tude
Spoiler [+]
It all started out innocently enough, with Dwight Howard  doing what he does best. Not dunking or blocking shots or searching far and wide for his killer instinct. Instead, Howard was holding court at the NBA Store Wednesday, bringing the house down with his smile and his personality.

Dwight Howard is still simmering from his team's ugly Eastern Conference finals loss to Boston. (US Presswire)      
But after he was done modeling the NBA's new, lighter, sweat-proof, revolutionary adidas uniforms -- available for only $350 at your local retailer -- Howard spoke with the kind of edge and tenacity you long to see him play with on a nightly basis. After he was finished delighting the crowd with Frank Caliendo-like impressions of Stan Van Gundy and Charles Barkley, Howard turned his attention toward the two enormous challenges in his path with training camp about to open: Avenging the Magic's embarrassing loss to the Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals, and proving that the Heat didn't win the NBA title with a few free-agent signings in July.

"We heard it all summer: 'The Miami Heat are going to win. They're going to do this and do that,'" Howard said. "In our minds we're like, 'Hey, they haven't played a game yet so what makes them champions?'"

And so there you have it -- but only part of it. Is Howard, trying to shake the label of being the guy who puts the gentle in giant, aggravated by all the attention being showered upon division rival Miami? Damn right he is. Is that all? Nope.

What has stung Howard all summer -- from the weight room to the practice court, where he's been known to shoot 1,000 jumpers a day -- is the humiliation he experienced at the hands of the Celtics at the end of May. That, more than anything, had Howard vowing Wednesday that his days of playing Mr. Nice Guy are over.

"Losing the way we did to Boston, I think it kind of pissed me off to the point that I didn't want our team to be looked at as the team that lost to Boston the way we did," Howard said. "[It was] the way we were viewed by the media, the way I was viewed.

"I went from this nice guy to this goon or something like that. And I'm like, 'Hey, I'm playing basketball. If they're going to be physical, we're going to be physical.' People were saying our team wasn't physical and I didn't like that. I'm a physical player and I want my teammates to be the same way. If people are calling us a team that doesn't like to be physical, I don't like that."

Howard said the turning point was after Orlando fell behind 3-0 to Boston in the conference finals, having been eviscerated at every turn by the Celtics' smothering defense and the dominant play of Rajon Rondo. It took that kind of embarrassment, that kind of wakeup call for something to click.

"I wasn't about to lie down in front of my teammates," Howard said. "I just had to figure out a way to do whatever I can to try to get our team back in the series."

It was too late to come back and win the series, but Howard believes he planted the seeds for the season that is upon him now. In the consecutive games Orlando won when facing elimination, Howard was unstoppable with 53 points, 26 rebounds and nine blocks. ("I found out I had another gear in me," he said.) And that wasn't the only place where Howard changed. He changed in the locker room, too.

"I really learned how to talk to my teammates, be a better leader, be more vocal," Howard said. "But also in the locker room, show my teammates a different side of me. The side that most people always see is me smiling and having fun, which is great. But I showed my teammates that when it's time to get serious, then it's time to get serious. And I'm going to expect them to do the same."

Howard won't report to training camp next week surrounded by newly acquired All-Stars or dynamic duos. Through intermediaries, Howard let it be known to management that he wanted every effort to be made to acquire an All Star-caliber running mate, with Chris Paul and Carlos Boozer at the top of his list. Neither came to fruition, and the best Orlando could do was acquire a backup point guard (Chris Duhon) and another 3-point shooter (Quentin Richardson). The Bulls' efforts to land restricted free agent J.J. Redick were thwarted when the Magic matched Chicago's offer sheet.

Howard thinks Duhon's pick-and-roll game will help the offense, and Richardson's defense will make Orlando one of the few teams that can send waves of capable defenders at LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. But to suggest that Duhon and Richardson will make the difference when Orlando runs into Boston or Miami in the conference finals is silly talk -- sillier than Howard's impressions. This is about No. 12, plain and simple. If his demeanor has changed as much as he insists it has, then the road to the championship may not be paved with marquee free agents, after all.

There are precious few teams and even fewer individuals who have a legitimate chance of thwarting Miami's championship coronation. One of those teams is the Celtics, who will remain Orlando's nemesis until Howard figures out how to beat them. One of those individuals is Kobe Bryant, whose competitive fire has been burning unusually hot this summer after Miami's signings, announcements and televised decisions were over.

"I don't think there's any question," teammate Derek Fisher said Wednesday. "Those are the type of things at this point in his career that are exciting. He's constantly searching for those opportunities to basically make himself mad. Even though he likes all three of those guys, I think he loves the challenge and the competition that lies ahead."

The other individual is Howard, without a doubt. His reaction when Miami landed LeBron and Chris Bosh to join Dwyane Wade was a step in the right direction for the man who should dominate the NBA every night he steps onto the floor.

"My first reaction was, 'I cannot wait for this season to start,'" Howard said. "Not, 'Oh, they're going to be so good.' I don't think anybody's afraid of those guys. Everybody's looking forward to playing them. They're looking forward to playing everybody else. They still have to dress up and play."

We will find out if the sting of losing to Boston and the insult he's felt with all eyes focused on Miami can actually be channeled on the court. Howard sounds serious, and I believe him. I've never been in the Howard-Hater camp, but I have to be fair: For someone that big, that strong, with that many physical gifts, he's underachieved to this point in his career.

Listening to Howard Wednesday convinced me that's about to change. Even if Miami signs free-agent center Erick Dampier, Howard is the one player in the league capable of exploiting the Heat inside and making their flashy free agents wish they'd never united. If he can play every game, every quarter, every minute with the memory of the Boston loss and all this premature celebration in Miami on his mind, no one will be able to stop him.

"They have good players," Howard said of the Heat. "Every team has good players. I think what that did for a lot of guys on my team is, it kind of motivated our guys: 'Hey, we're going to show people what we're made of.' And it's good. It's good for guys who needed that extra motivation to get them where they want to get to."

Such as, you know, Howard himself. He didn't say it, but he understood that he was part of the problem. That's why this summer, Howard sought out some of the greatest ever to play -- Hakeem Olajuwon, Karl Malone, and a mystery mentor he refused to name -- to get advice on how to get past this hurdle.

"Their big thing to me was," Howard said, "you've got to be able to fail before you succeed."

And he said that in a serious voice. The time for joking around is over.

He needs to work on his free throws.
Getting all mad because the SPURS were pulling the old "hack-a-shaq" on him last year.
30t6p3b.gif

EDIT: also can we keep ALL articles in a spoiler.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Saw The Town last night, dope movie. 
pimp.gif

Too bad for them Heat came out first, but still, all in all a great flick. 
I enjoyed it, it was fun.

I heard comparisons that this movie was a mix of Heat and The Departed. Fair I'd say.

Affleck was awesome in what I believe is his directorial debut.

Stick to these kinds of movies though, if he starts making rom-coms, it'll make me sick.

Some of us browse on our phones and we can't click spoilers, is it that big of a deal to just scroll a little extra.

Glad to hear Dwight has some intensity and a point to prove coming into this season, now it's a matter of if his game backs up his words. I've said it for a couple years, but this is the last year I give Dwight real room to grow, after this year... he is who he is. A defensive monster but you can't consistently count on him to be an offensive threat.

Originally Posted by rjayrolln

blazers and thunder will be better than lakers this upcoming season....mark my words

wow just looked at your twitter....your last name is jefferson......make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

oh and
laugh.gif
@ blazers and thunder being better than the lakers

thats like sayin the bucks are better than the heat

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Some of us browse on our phones and we can't click spoilers, is it that big of a deal to just scroll a little extra.

\

Oh yeah I forgot about that.
30t6p3b.gif

[h1]Carmelo Anthony trade facing some hurdles[/h1]
By Benjamin Hochman
The Denver Post

Posted: 09/23/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

While a league source confirmed that Carmelo Anthony's representatives are pushing for the Nuggets to trade him to New York or Chicago, the Nuggets aren't wowed by what they've been offered, meaning Melo could be on Denver's roster when training camp starts next week.

A deal with the Knicks seems unlikely, because they have little to offer in terms of young talent. Chicago, meanwhile, seems determined to keep young post player Joakim Noah, which might hinder a potential deal between the teams.

Houston and New Jersey are known to be interested in acquiring Anthony and have much more to offer than New York.

Noah is a key asset to the Bulls. Chicago does have budding big man Taj Gibson and the hefty contract of Luol Deng to move, but Noah would have much more interest for the Nuggets.

"(Trade rumors are) something that happens in sports," Noah told ESPNChicago.com Wednesday. "And right now I just got to get ready and control the things that I can control as a player, and that's getting ready for the season. As far as I know I'm still a (member) of the Bulls today.

"I understand what kind of caliber of player Carmelo Anthony is. I'm trying to stay positive . . . I'm really excited about the upcoming season."
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_16149364#ixzz10M8Vn4qo

JB23- I dont think Melo is coming here. Avery is very high on Favors. He has a lot of say so with the Nets.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Saw The Town last night, dope movie. 
pimp.gif

Too bad for them Heat came out first, but still, all in all a great flick. 
I enjoyed it, it was fun.

I heard comparisons that this movie was a mix of Heat and The Departed. Fair I'd say.

Affleck was awesome in what I believe is his directorial debut.

Stick to these kinds of movies though, if he starts making rom-coms, it'll make me sick.

Naw, his first was Gone Baby Gone, which was INCREDIBLE. 
pimp.gif

So in my book, this dude is 2 for 2 directing great movies. 

One of the things I really liked was the way he showed the area there in Boston.  "The Town" obviously.  He filmed it really well, almost as if I knew the area myself, which I don't at all. 
And you know he has some clout when they let him shoot at Fenway like that. 

Interested to see what he does for a third movie to direct.  Maybe he'll put something together with Damon again, that'd be a solid start., I think it's time again for them to do something. 

Originally Posted by Big J 33

- they too busy trying to be cute. i have the same problem when im on my ipod........

Originally Posted by krazy88s

JB23- I dont think Melo is coming here. Avery is very high on Favors. He has a lot of say so with the Nets.

i just read the same thing. I thought they would have gotten Favors out of Jersey, but with Favors and Noah appearing to be out the picture Denver might have to take the best of the worst offer

Im also hearing a lot of praising for Favors by the organization... We'll see what happens though, I know we're trying to get a 3rd team involved.

Welcome back to Eddie Gill coming to the Nets... Again... For the 7th time.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Damn, I misread, when I saw Eddie Gill, I thought you was saying Kendall Gill. 
laugh.gif

I was like
eek.gif
  Kendall Gill is still alive?!!???!!! 

Ok, continue.... 

Eddie gill will wear number 8 again for any body who keeps track of the Eddie gill returning to the nets front like me and JB 23 do..........

Blueprint of success

SLAM: So what brought you here today?

Jeff Van Gundy: Well, we’re doing the ESPN commercial that we do every year. Never been to this part of Queens, I don’t believe, so it’s good.

SLAM: We know you from coaching, and now broadcasting, but how do you like the acting?

JVG: As long as I keep it to one word or less, I’m alright. You gotta know who you are as player, and you have to know who you are as an actor. And I’m not much of an actor.

SLAM: No acting aspirations?

JVG: [Laughs.] No, no.

SLAM: Who’s the funniest ESPN personality you’ve worked with?

JVG: The funniest ESPN personality? [Pauses.] Mark Jackson has a sly, sarcastic way that’s funny—but the people around him, unless you know him, don’t even know he’s trying to be funny.

SLAM: Yeah, you guys are always going back and forth.

JVG: He’s a funny guy.

SLAM: You ruffled a couple feathers earlier this offseason when you said the Heat could topple the 72-win mark. Now that all the offseason movement’s done, do you stand behind that? Think it’ll happen?

JVG: Well, I think this: I don’t think it’ll be talent nor coaching that stops them. I think what you can’t predict is how important records like that are to their team and their players. So I can’t predict that. But if that’s something that they’re intent on—being a dominating team—I absolutely stand by that. And I’m surprised others think any differently.

SLAM: You coached during an extremely competitive era in basketball in the 90s when the Knicks were battling the Heat. When you saw that move—three top players joining up on the same team—how’d you feel about it?

JVG: Frankly, I didn’t care. I didn’t care, but I understand why people do, and why some took offense. I don’t think very many took offense to the decisions that were made; it was probably more so a backlash to how they decided to announce the decisions, and then the aftermath to that, more so than the decisions. But frankly, as an announcer, I’d rather see Wade go head-to-head against James, because I like to see greatness go against greatness, but it doesn’t matter to me.

SLAM: Everybody’s talking about the Heat and the Lakers. Is there a sleeper team that’s gonna come mess everything up?

JVG: Well, I think there are three teams that can win a championship: the Heat, the Celtics and the Lakers. And I think the Celtics have made some really good moves—Jermaine O’Neal, Shaquille O’Neal, and Delonte West to me is a wildcard depending on his mindset, because he’s a very good player.

SLAM: Did you get to watch any of the World Championship?

JVG: I watched some, not much.

SLAM: What was your impression of the team?

JVG: Oh, they were by far the best team, [with] the most talent. I think the other teams did some good things, but I always think it’s very clear when we go to these games that we have by the most [talent]. Even if that’s our B-team, our B-team is much better than the other teams’ A-teams, by a lot. This notion that it’s all very close—I couldn’t disagree more.

SLAM: How do you like your schedule now, doing broadcasting as opposed to the coaching days?

JVG: Yeah, you’d have to take my blood pressure, ‘cause some days I’m dead. The schedule from broadcasting is like [really easy], plus I don’t internalize the broadcasting like I did the results of coaching.

SLAM: Do you miss it at all?

JVG: Coaching?

SLAM: Yeah.

JVG: Absolutely. Yeah, I miss the competition, the camaraderie. Those two things probably the most, on an everyday basis. You can’t replicate those in broadcasting—you’re not going up against anybody else.

SLAM: Would a certain situation drive you back to it, or is it behind you?

JVG: No, no, I am coaching again. I hope so. But, you know, it has to be somebody else too, who wants you to have [the position], and I’ve had some good opportunities. But [there’s] nothing right now that I think is the best fit for me.

SLAM: The whole world found out you were exploring your Jewish roots this summer, so I guess I gotta wish you a happy new year.

Amar’e Stoudemire: [Laughs.] Thanks, man.

SLAM: Tell me about your trip to Israel.

AS: It was a great trip. Obviously it was a historic adventure for me. It was a beautiful turnout.

SLAM: Is it difficult to maintain religion during the NBA season?

AS: That’s something that I try to keep discrete, so I wouldn’t really wanna talk more about it.

SLAM: OK, well we know all about your basketball skills. What are your acting skills like?

AS: My acting skills are being worked on. Had a couple opportunities in some movies, so still looking to upgrade my acting skills a little bit.

SLAM: Any inspirations?

AS: Oh man, I got a lot of actors I look up to, as far as their craft and what they do. Will Smith is my favorite actor out right now. Johnny Depp is probably my second. I love Denzel’s movies. There’s my top three.

SLAM: You settle down in New York City yet?

AS: Not quite, I haven’t found a place in New York City yet. I’m still looking.

SLAM: How do you like hanging out in the city?

AS: Oh, it’s great, man. Best city in the world. It was fashion week last week. There’s so much entertainment here, it’s crazy. Best city in the world. I don’t understand why players wouldn’t wanna come here.

SLAM: How big of a factor was linking back up with Coach D’Antoni in your decision?

AS: That actually helped my decision in signing with the Knicks, because I’m familiar with his coaching style. I had great success playing with him back in Phoenix, so it’s a great chance for us to reunite and try to have that same success.

SLAM: The big complaint the past few years in New York has been the team’s defense. Many think there’s an indifference toward defense; you gonna help change that mentality?

AS: I just think the personnel the past few years was what’s been holding the Knicks back. I think now we’ve got great personnel [and] we have great character in our players, so we’re definitely gonna have a better year.

SLAM: You guys gonna be able to put up points like back in the Phoenix days?

AS: That’s what Mike D’Antoni does best. He’s great [on offense], so it’s gonna help the team.

SLAM: So I should draft you in the first round of my fantasy basketball league?

AS: [Laughs.] That’s not a bad idea.

SLAM: What have you been focusing on this summer, specifically, as far as your game goes?

AS: Oh man, everything. I’ve been focusing on my perimeter game, actually, for the most part.

SLAM: Previously [for the Knicks], David Lee would often come off the pick and roll and pop the mid-range jumper. Will you be able to do that similarly?

AS: Yeah. I’ve been shooting mid-range jumpers now for the past five years, so now I’m trying to expand from the mid-range to the long-range.

SLAM: OK, tell me something about Amar’e Stoudemire that nobody knows.

AS: Something about me nobody knows… [drifts into Madden team selection]

SLAM: Who’s your favorite team to play with in Madden?

Amar’e’s manager: Whoever he’s about to lose with right now.

AS: I like playing with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

SLAM: Yeah?

AS: That’s my favorite team.

SLAM: Cool. So you’ve got New York on your back right now. Any pressure?

AS: There’s no pressure, man. It’s all about playing your hardest, dedicating yourself to the game of basketball. That’s what it’s about. That’s what the goal is.

!$! ....craig brackins isn't the one who could shoot well is it?

i always get him and the other 1st rounder mixed up....if so i'm !%#!**# pissed.....god damn cp3 leave the hornets so i can finally stop being a fan

I KNEW i saw that espn basketball bus at forest park yesterday. I wanted to get out and see who was there but I had to be somewhere. It woulda been nice to see Jeff Van Gundy and the rest of the espn analysts.

Who is going to start the season thread this year?  Can we start it next week or do we need to wait til opening day? 

Blazers, can we get that thread stickied too like this one?  You know we'll clear 300-400 pages again.  In fact, I'm surprised you haven't done that for the college thread.  That bad boy bout to hit 2K pages. 
eek.gif

Who is going to start the season thread this year?  Can we start it next week or do we need to wait til opening day? 

Blazers, can we get that thread stickied too like this one?  You know we'll clear 300-400 pages again.  In fact, I'm surprised you haven't done that for the college thread.  That bad boy bout to hit 2K pages. 
eek.gif
Whoever starts it should be a regular (JPZ or JA
nerd.gif
). I'd prefer to wait until the end of pre-season to start it, since the players who matter won't be playing or doing much and all the bums that have training camp contracts are weeded out. Shouldn't be much to talk about performance wise from pre-season, but it is NT, so you never know. (Word to Melo dropping 45 on the Pacers last year
laugh.gif
)

Sticky most definitely.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom