* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

I was in last for the first six weeks while Gasol and a bunch of other dudes missed game after game. 

By the end of the year, I came in second behind Dirk's team. 

Full year of health, my team would have won. 
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

Originally Posted by DubA169

you know how crazy, delusional knicks fans always scream that the media is against them?

go to NBA.com and check out the summer report cards to find the proof. The nets got the same grade as the knicks. CRAZY RUSSIAN. JAY Z!!!!!!!!

most overrated +%%**#% 12 win team in NBA history
How does drafting Damion Jones & hiring Avery Johnson get the Nets a "B" for defense? I know Avery is a defense & hard work preacher, but c'mon... at the end of the '11 season we're really going to say that the Nets were an "above average" team on the defensive side of things? I just don't see it happening with the current roster.

Only teams that recieved lower than a C- were Cleveland & Toronto... and Golden State.
laugh.gif
Golden State - D

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Kenyon Martin, who is recovering from knee surgery, could miss "significant time" this season due to the injury.
Martin is also not thrilled with the Nuggets' offseason move, which was essentially signing Al Harrington, who plays K-Mart's power forward position. "Al is cool, Al's my man, but I can't see how we got better," he said. But with Chris Andersen also recovering from knee surgery, the Nuggets needed another forward, so signing Harrington was probably more important than people think, and Martin, who is on his last legs, probably has some sour grapes about having to compete for a role when he is finally ready to play again. Aug. 19 - 10:39 am et

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Kenyon Martin, who is recovering from knee surgery, could miss "significant time" this season due to the injury.
Martin is also not thrilled with the Nuggets' offseason move, which was essentially signing Al Harrington, who plays K-Mart's power forward position. "Al is cool, Al's my man, but I can't see how we got better," he said. But with Chris Andersen also recovering from knee surgery, the Nuggets needed another forward, so signing Harrington was probably more important than people think, and Martin, who is on his last legs, probably has some sour grapes about having to compete for a role when he is finally ready to play again. Aug. 19 - 10:39 am et
Link?

KMart being KMart
laugh.gif

NBA PM: Best Trade Ever?
Yannis Koutroupis
Hoopsworld

Scola Rubs Salt On The Wound: The San Antonio Spurs typically don't find themselves on the losing side of deals. They've been one of the league's most dominant teams over the past 10 years largely in part to their front office's brilliance and patience. They've managed to win four championships since 1999 all while staying under the luxury tax and making minor tweaks rather than major moves. Limiting spending is a philosophy that has held a lot of franchises back, but rarely affected the Spurs until 2007 when they dealt Luis Scola, the best power forward not in the NBA at the time, to the Houston Rockets. Back then it was something that the Spurs looked at as necessary, but it's something that they really regret now.

After years of failing to reach a buyout agreement with Scola's club overseas the Spurs gave up on trying to add him to the team. They felt with the roster they had in place, which featured a newly re-signed Matt Bonner and Fabricio Oberto along with Ian Mahinmi, that there wasn't room for Scola or forward Jackie Butler. So they traded them to Houston for Vassilis Spanoulis and a second round pick that eventually turned into France's Nando De Colo, who averaged eight points and two assists in the World Championships.

"As an organization we felt responsible to let Luis pursue his dream of the NBA and this was the best opportunity to realize his value," said Buford back in 2007. "With our roster intact it would appear unlikely that neither Butler nor Scola would impact our rotation."

Count that as one of the rare instances where Buford was dead wrong because since finally making his way to the NBA in 2007 Scola has been flat-out productive. Meanwhile De Colo and Spanoulis haven't played a game in the NBA. Scola has yet to miss a game and has steadily improved each and every year. He averaged a career best 16 points and eight rebounds last season and has carried over his strong play to the FIBA World Championships.

Earlier today there was a matchup between Argentina and Brazil that greatly intrigued the Spurs and their fan base. It featured Scola taking on Tiago Splitter, who will be making his NBA debut with San Antonio this season after being drafted by them in 2007. Drafting Splitter also factored into the Spurs decision to trade Scola, so a strong performance by him would have helped ease the pain.

Over the years Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich has made no secret about his anger over how things played out with Scola. He once said that it made him so upset that he wanted to spit and he probably felt just as fired up today after watching the show that Scola put on.

Scola continued on his tournament-MVP pace with 37 points, nine rebounds, and three assists. Splitter put forth 10 points and five rebounds himself, but it was very clear as to who the superior player was. Splitter will ultimately determine his worth to the Spurs during the regular season, but fantasies about how great Scola could have been as Spur live on. He had 14 points in the fourth quarter to help lead Argentina past Brazil, further cementing himself as the best player in the tournament.

While San Antonio thinks about what could have been the Rockets are sitting pretty with one of the best power forwards in the league that they got for an absolute steal. Coach Popovich suggested forming a trade committee that could veto lopsided deals when the Memphis Grizzlies traded All-Star power forward Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers. But in that deal Memphis landed Marc Gasol who has developed into a very solid starting center and the cap space to trade for Zach Randolph, who had an All-Star year for them in 09-10. All the Spurs got for Scola, an ideal player to put alongside Tim Duncan inside, was some cash and two players who will never see the court with Duncan. Looking back there's no question which deal was more uneven and today just helped further illustrate that.

ohwell.gif

I didn't see the game but my sources say Varejao was guarding Scola.
nerd.gif

Sean May was waived by the Nets today...

He suffered a stress fracture to his left foot. It takes 4-8 weeks to recover, which to Billy King, was to much time to heal & didn't provide him a shot at making the team.

CP, you know how I always call you white trash and everything, but you never said what you were... At least I don't recall....

I saw some dude on Wheel of Fortune tonight.
He sounded like an idiot.
He was from Oregon.
He was a Lakers fan, talking about how he goes to Portland games to root for the Lakers.
He's the biggest idiot in the entire world.
He came off as such a moron on TV.

That's you, right?

laugh.gif

56024339.jpg

Kay Kellogg didn't want to climb the Eiffel Tower. Or run a marathon. Or jump out of an airplane. She just wanted to have a nice conversation with her hero.

" Dwight Howard is just such a precious, wonderful kid," she says. "Whenever I watch him play, he just makes me feel good inside."

A few weeks ago, her daughter, Arian Clute, had an idea. She contacted the Magic and told them that her mother had but one wish before she died: She wanted to meet Dwight.

worth the read imo...

Spoiler [+]
Her bucket list included just one item.

Kay Kellogg didn't want to climb the Eiffel Tower. Or run a marathon. Or jump out of an airplane. She just wanted to have a nice conversation with her hero.

" Dwight Howard is just such a precious, wonderful kid," she says. "Whenever I watch him play, he just makes me feel good inside."

And for a woman who feels so bad inside most of the time, this is quite an accomplishment for Dwight.

You think leading the league in rebounding and blocked shots is difficult? Try leading the cancer ward in smiles elicited and hearts warmed.

Kay, 62, is sitting at her apartment Tuesday telling her story.

She's just finished yet another round of chemo. In her younger days, she was a ballet dancer, gracefully spinning and twirling as the Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker. Now, she slowly gets around with a walker.

She has Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma, an aggressive cancer that searches out and destroys the blood plasma in the bone marrow. Her disease is inoperable and incurable, but her demeanor is inspiriting and uplifting.

She lives on a fixed income, but two seasons ago she decided to treat herself to Magic season tickets in the upper level. Watching Dwight play is one of the joys of her life. She showed up at nearly every game that season wearing her blue No. 12 Dwight jersey.

"I was sitting way up in the cheap seats," she says, "but I felt like I was in heaven."

A few weeks ago, her daughter, Arian Clute, had an idea. She contacted the Magic and told them that her mother had but one wish before she died: She wanted to meet Dwight.

And, so, a few days ago, Dwight showed up at her door step. He was supposed to spend 30 minutes and ended up staying nearly two hours.

"He has become my 7- foot-tall bottle of medicine," Kay says

They laughed and talked and talked and laughed.

They talked about love and life — and death and divinity. She told him how she was in show business her whole life and loves basketball. He told her how he's been in basketball his whole life and loves show business.

They compared the sizes of their hands and then Dwight gently grabbed her bare foot from the end of a recliner like Prince Charming grabbing Cinderella's. He looked down and said sweetly, "How can this little foot hold up anyone?"

They busted out laughing.

And then he asked her why — why is he the only one on her bucket list?

She looked at him and said, "Because some people get a choir that sings them into heaven and some people get a chariot that rolls them into heaven. Not me. I want to be slam-dunked smack, dab into the middle of heaven by Dwight Howard."

They busted out laughing again.

By the time the visit was over, Dwight was affectionately calling her "Mama Kay" and she was lovingly calling him "My Dwight."

It was the strangest thing, according to those who were there. Dwight was supposed to inspire her, but she ended up inspiring him, too. Her bucket list turned into the most meaningful bucket he's ever recorded.

When she gingerly stood up to say goodbye, he bent way, way down, hugged her hard and told her something startling. He told this 4-foot-11 woman who is dying of cancer, "You are taller than me."

"That's the silliest thing I've ever heard," she said.

"No," Dwight insisted, "you are taller than me because your spirit lifts you up."

Kay Kellogg was once a dancer and singer who entertained people worldwide. She once danced at Radio City Music Hall and performed with Bing Crosby, who once sang "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas."

Kay got something better last week. She got a Dwight Christmas — four months early.

"I'm not afraid to die," she says. "I've had a great life with great friends, a great job and I raised two great daughters. And now that I've met my Dwight, what more is there?"

Well, there is one thing.

She smiles.

"I told Dwight to say a prayer so that I'm around long enough to see him play on opening night."

http://www.orlandosentine...s)&utm_source=feedburner

and then there is this....

0903-howard-dwight-ex-tmz-01-credit.jpg

Cops Called on NBA Star Over Baby Dispute

Spoiler [+]
It all went down on August 26 when Howard -- who is in an ongoing custody war with baby mama Royce Reed -- went to pick up their 2-year-old son. Reed, we're told, flipped out and called the cops because she claimed the custody agreement didn't give Howard the right to pick the child up that day.

Reed showed up at the day care center for a showdown, but Howard had already left with the kid.

The cops called Howard ... and the NBA star explained he and his ex made a new agreement ... giving him the right to cart his kid away that day. But ... after speaking with lawyers from both sides, the cops handed down their verdict -- a new custody agreement was discussed but never signed.

The cops ordered Howard to return the child to the day care center, stat. Howard's nanny -- the Henry Kissinger character -- took the boy back to school and Reed took him home.

Basketball is so much easier ...

UPDATE: A spokesperson for Reed thanked police and school officials for their quick response. He also said the child "was seriously traumatized by the unlawful actions of Dwight and his staff, and Royce will rely upon the Courts to prevent future incidents from occurring."

http://www.tmz.com/2010/0...stody-baby-dispute-cops/

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

Scola? is that you b?

37? wow
Scola put up a game where he had 44 last year.

The dude is a beast when they get him involved.

Last year here are some of his highlights..

21/11
22/15
20/16
22/12
21/15
27/15
20/11
30/13
25/11
19/18----
25/21
20/15
23/10
44/12
23/11----
22/10
28/10
27/11

The parts where I left "----'s" were all back-to back games.
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

He's always had the talent, but if you got chuckers like McGrady on your team...
grin.gif

It's no wonder he had his highest PPG last year.

He's durable too, three straight NBA seasons of 82 games, that's my kind of NBA player.
pimp.gif

The size disparity of Dwight and Granny is wild.
roll.gif

Dwight's leg is about as tall as she is, and his head is about the size of her torso.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

Scola? is that you b?

37? wow
aep75s.jpg

I'm sure some people would try to write it off to Ginobili & Nocioni sitting out, but Scola has put up these numbers while getting the team to a 5-1 record and the quarter finals.

I'm looking forward to Thursday's match between Lithuania & Argentina.

Back
Top Bottom