:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

Originally Posted by Mikeisoriginal

dont care ghana better win i swear ima gonna be very dissapointed n my whole family back in home in ghana 2
we coming for revenge, man. sorry...
nah it should be a good game. i was hoping for some craziness and somehow serbia filling up that second spot in the group. would rather play them than ghana.

better not be any of this this time around

Spoiler [+]
jenksWCblog22300x336.jpeg
_41799420_dramani416.jpg

ive always thought Bradleys game was suited for the Premier League..i think he would have a decent shot playing with a lower tier side

hes been probably their best field player this tournament

Rossi & Subotic
pimp.gif

U.S.A. got very lucky that Germany won and passed its group first, now they have a relatively easy route to semi-finals because they don't have to face any elite teams on the way. If they beat Ghana they face the winner of the Uruguay/Korea match in quarter-finals. They could very possibly make a historic run in this Cup, the only thing I'm weary of is them facing an African team. The idea of having this World Cup hosted in Africa was to see an African team reach semi-finals for the first time and seeing that Ghana is the only one left there could be instances similar to the 2002 World Cup in Korea and Japan when Korea got substantial help from the referees to make it far in the tournament, but we'll just have to see.

well i worked today but managed to see the last half hour or so of the game on my break ( took a longer one, no one noticed
laugh.gif
) but anyway, if you know nothing about a sport PLEASE shut the *#+* up while watching the game, i had to listen to all these people in the break room who knew NOTHING about the game. Every single time someone got fouled this one guy would shout out "RED CARD RED CARD RED CARD!!!" every time
indifferent.gif
and then this other guy would complain about how the field needs to be shorter so they can score more, and so on and so forth.

sorry for the rant 
laugh.gif
with that being said that was an amazing finish, way too many missed opportunities, got the W though, all that matters, cant wait for saturday 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Damn, even though this has been a relatively low scoring, semi-lackadaisical world cup, I gotta say I still love the feeling this %$*@ gives you when you watch it. Such a great month.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

people always say that but you can't really attribute a team's successes or failure based on teams of years past.

if brazil wins it all this year, it'll be because of their excellent team chock full of talent, not because the 2002 team won it, nor the 1994 team, nor the 1970 team, etc.

this is the best squad spain has had maybe ever, full of proven winners with recent success (not only of euro 2008, but of la liga, champions league, super cup, etc.)

i'm not buying it
Making deep runs doesn't always mean that the team is fielding a great squad or even wins it all. Teams that constantly run deep have lost in the semi-finals or finished 2nd and 1 game doesn't mean much either way (in terms of the quality of the squad). It's a great spectacle for fans.

Some teams make deep runs on a consistent basis even when fielding so so squads (relative to other years) or when they field a solid squad but don't play at their best (i.e. Germany).I don't know what it is. Maybe a certain style is more suited to run deep in a tourney such as the world cup or the organization of the national team at home, incentives to win, etc.

If I was a Spain or Portugal fan I'd expect history to repeat itself. It's not a given but that's all we ahve to go on. Spain's best showing was 4th in the WC and that was in 1950 which is hard to believe considering the quality of the teams they put out there.

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

Damn, even though this has been a relatively low scoring, semi-lackadaisical world cup, I gotta say I still love the feeling this %$*@ gives you when you watch it. Such a great month.
First round has been kind of weak but that only means that there's a higher chance for great matches moving forward.
I just look at it as a variance thing.

Damn man.....I still haven't calmed down since the goal.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

LD. I LOVE THAT GUY!!!!!!! USA USA USA USA ..

Bring on them Africans from GHANA.

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

U.S.A. got very lucky that Germany won and passed its group first, now they have a relatively easy route to semi-finals because they don't have to face any elite teams on the way. If they beat Ghana they face the winner of the Uruguay/Korea match in quarter-finals. They could very possibly make a historic run in this Cup, the only thing I'm weary of is them facing an African team. The idea of having this World Cup hosted in Africa was to see an African team reach semi-finals for the first time and seeing that Ghana is the only one left there could be instances similar to the 2002 World Cup in Korea and Japan when Korea got substantial help from the referees to make it far in the tournament, but we'll just have to see.
Whoever makes it out of this quarter of the bracket will have had a really easy path to the semifinals. If you ranked the teams before the tournament, I don't think you'd have put any of these teams in the top 10. Uruguay has definitely stepped up, Korea overachieved as always, Ghana stepped up without Essien, and the US didn't quit when other teams would have; still, I don't know if any of these teams would get to the semifinals in any other part of the bracket. But no one's gonna remember that in 10 years when they look back at who made the semis, and maybe it doesn't really matter how you got there. 

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by TheGift23

The haters ball will be in full effect if USA is out...lead by a Canadian/"Argentine".
laugh.gif
grin.gif

The bandwagoners will be in full effect now that USA is in...lead by a Salvadorian/"American"
laugh.gif
grin.gif

a little late but

10 AM - Paraguay vs N.Zealand
               Italy vs Slovakia
2:30 PM - Holland vs Cameroon
            Denmark vs Japan

My Predictions :

Paraguay 2 N.Zealand 0
Italy 1 Slovakia 0
Holland 3 Cameroon 1
Denmark 2 Japan 1

Algeria soccer player Rafik Saifi slapped a female journalist across the face as the aftermath of the United States’ dramatic World Cup victory turned ugly at Loftus Versfeld Stadium on Wednesday night. While walking through the interview zone, Saifi spotted writer Asma Halimi, who works for Algerian newspaper Competition, and struck her with his open hand in front of dozens of witnesses. Halimi responded by striking the player in the mouth.

Link

roll.gif

Lol, when was the last time the defending champions didn't make it out of the group-stage!?

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Lol, when was the last time the defending champions didn't make it out of the group-stage!?
France in 2002, and they didn't even score a goal.

Many saw this coming from the Italians. Their defense is a shell of what it used to be, and Cannavaro is beyond washed up. Once Pirlo went down it was basically curtains. I thought they'd advance in second, but even that might have been optimistic.

I still think they might come back and finish second and get thrashed by Holland again like in Euro 2008.

Back
Top Bottom