Official Warriors Off Season Thread

Just got done watching some Youtube mixes.... and dude is definitely a Brandan Wright 2.0, but can pass the ball.

I think the Warriors will keep him. Unless they pack him w/ some filler pieces for a trade.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by franchise3

POB part 2.

6'10 1/2 and 197LBS??

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
No. POB was a BUST from the beginning. Yeah I know he didn't get playing time but honestly, I expected him to be trash.

Yeah, from what i've seen Randolph looks like he has a little bit more of a perimeter game than Wright. Future front line of Randolph, Wright, andBiedrins?:8:8:8:8 Good luck getting shots up over that group. Besides, gotta look for someone to replace S-Jax in a couple years, or help at the 4 once we canfinally get Al the hell outta there.

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

Yeah, from what i've seen Randolph looks like he has a little bit more of a perimeter game than Wright. Future front line of Randolph, Wright, and Biedrins?:8:8:8:8 Good luck getting shots up over that group. Besides, gotta look for someone to replace S-Jax in a couple years, or help at the 4 once we can finally get Al the hell outta there.

neither randolph, wright, nor biedrins possess the skill set to even capably perform at 3

gotta be kidding me. damn por. i was talking to my brother and saying how ind could've wanted rush, especially with his brother on there; only problem wasyou couldn't pass on bayless that low. and if rush fell to us we could've been making this damn trade.

[h2]Warriors take Anthony Randolph… hey, sometimes it's NOT a smokescreen[/h2]
Posted by Tim Kawakami on June 26th, 2008 at 5:55 pm | Categorized as NBA, Warriors

* 6:08 p.m. update: Just saw Don Nelson, who was smoking cigars with his coaches and they had big smiles. I popped over and just asked him if he got his guy with Anthony Randolph. "That's the guy I wanted," Nelson said. There ya go.

OK, Nellie, let's see what you do with an 18-year-old skinny forward who isn't named Brandan Wright.

Yep, it wasn't a smokescreen: The Warriors hinted for days that if Anthony Randolph was there at 14, they were taking him. He was just too good a prospect to pass, even if he's raw and might take some time to develop.

I'm curious. I think he's a tremendous talent. I don't know where Don Nelson plays him, but you have to take a player like that if the next-best choice is JaVale McGee or Kosta Koufos.

This is a good pick. The Warriors got some luck with Jason Thompson popping in there at 12 and Portland going with Brandon Rush (if they keep him).

But Anthony Randolph, teamed in the future with Wright and Andris Biedrins and Monta Ellis at guard… that's a future I can write about.

Randolph or Wright can play the 3 MAYBE...it's not likely but I wouldn't write it off. If either one can develop a perimeter game it's not out ofthe question.

really like the pick for the future. imo out of everyone left none of them would play this year just like randolph, but he has the most potential.

ellis, randolph, bwright, belli and ab is a good crop of young players all under 22.

Such a raw talent. I could see him being a bust or turning into a solid starter. Hopefully it pans out...

[h2]Another Skinny Kid?[/h2]

Is there a more fun time to be a fan than draft night?
The Warriors probably didn't have the kind of pick (14th overall) that can change a franchise.

NBA_Draft_basketball_NYJJ12300x347.JPG

Anthony Randolph hugs his mom after getting picked by the Warriors.
And with that pick, they took 6-11 freshman Anthony Randolph, who was asked immediately by ESPN's Stephen A. Smith when he planned to hit the weights. He weighs less than 200 pounds.

Golden State already has slim young frontcourt players in Brandan Wright and Patrick O'Bryant on milkshake diets. Such is the NBA these days.
We may not know much about this draft, dominated by freshmen, for two or three years.

Giving Chris Washburn the nod as worst overall pick in team history, who are your favorites for worst, or best, draft picks?

What does anyone think of Randolph, providing you know anything about him?

[h2]Flash Mullin quotes on the Randolph pick[/h2]
Posted by Tim Kawakami on June 26th, 2008 at 6:52 pm | Categorized as NBA, Warriors

Tim Roye did a quickee interview with Chris Mullin right after the Anthony Randolph pick and the Warriors played it for us while we wait for live stuff from Randolph and Mullin.

(Don Nelson isn't officially available today, but I did speak very briefly with him about the selection.)

Here's a transcript from Mullin's quickee:

* Why did you take Randolphy?

-MULLIN: We're excited about it. He's long, athletic and can make plays. We feel he's got star quality. We feel real fortunate to have him. We were sitting there kind of amazed he was still there. But the way we play and his length, he can handle the ball… his shot will improve, his strength will improve.

* Length seems to be something you've been gunning for lately…

-MULLIN: The way we play, we like to interchange positions. He's a 6-10 player who can go up and down at 2, 3, 4. the length we always feel is important, not only in rebounding and blocking shots but just getting to the ball.

We've got a few long lefties on the team now.

* What's his position, small forward, big forward?

-MULLIN: He's probably more of a 3 now just because he's only about 200 pounds. As he puts weight on, he can be a real nightmare mismatch type of guy.

* Were you surprised that he was there?

-MULLIN: You never know. We had him rated higher. As of yesterday, we coveted him but didn't think it was realistic.

* Now you wait until the 49th pick?

-MULLIN: Maybe something before that.

Mullin hinting a move in the 2nd round?

[h1]Warriors pick LSU's Randolph at No. 14[/h1]
By Janie McCauley
Associated Press

Article Launched: 06/26/2008 06:45:59 PM PDT

The Warriors went for youth, height and versatility with their top pick in the NBA draft, selecting LSU forward Anthony Randolph 14th overall in the first round tonight.

The Warriors hope the 6-foot-10 Randolph, one of several talented freshmen in this year's draft, will complement their up-tempo game.

"He's long, athletic, he's ready to play and has star quality," said Chris Mullin, the Warriors' executive vice president of basketball operations. "We were sitting there kind of amazed he was still there."

Randolph, who turns 19 on July 15, is left-handed and earned third-team all-Southeastern Conference honors during his lone college season after averaging 15.6 points and 8.5 rebounds. He worked out for the Warriors in the Bay Area this past Saturday.

"He could be a real nightmare, mismatch kind of guy," Mullin said.

Golden State, the first 48-victory NBA team not to make the playoffs, is coming off consecutive winning seasons for the first time in 16 years. Yet the Warriors' best season in 14 years wasn't enough to make it to the postseason in the power-packed Western Conference after the team advanced to the second round of the 2007 playoffs.

With many basketball experts saying Randolph's first move should be getting in the weight room, the player himself is ready to show he can hang with the top big men at the professional level.

"I'm stronger than what you think," he told ESPN in his TV interview. "If you watch any
of my games, I guarded the biggest, strongest player on every team. I held my own with each and every one of them."

Back
Top Bottom