Official USA Mens Basketball Thread *~ U.S. defeated Tuniasia 92-57 Thursday (Next up: Angola) ~*

You guys are looking at putting together the team too much from an offensive standpoint than a defensive standpoint.  Westbrook would be, with Rondo, the best player the USA has to put pressure on the ball. 

Maybe Westbrook did too much during the showcase but that's uncharacteristic of him.  He usually plays more under control.  I'm sure once he knows he's not auditioning and he's just playing he'll play more within himself in the offense.  Against the lakers in the playoffs I remember that he was the more efficient offensive player during the series, not Durant. 

Westbrook just has to make this team.  I believe that. 

Originally Posted by amel223

You guys are looking at putting together the team too much from an offensive standpoint than a defensive standpoint.  Westbrook would be, with Rondo, the best player the USA has to put pressure on the ball. 

Maybe Westbrook did too much during the showcase but that's uncharacteristic of him.  He usually plays more under control.  I'm sure once he knows he's not auditioning and he's just playing he'll play more within himself in the offense.  Against the lakers in the playoffs I remember that he was the more efficient offensive player during the series, not Durant. 

laugh.gif
 westbrook had old !@% fisher on him while the Lakers keyed in to stop Durant but I just don't see what he can bring to the table that Gordon, Mayo or Curry can't while all 3 can kill a zone.

laugh.gif
 westbrook had old !@% fisher on him while the Lakers keyed in to stop Durant but I just don't see what he can bring to the table that Gordon, Mayo or Curry can't while all 3 can kill a zone.

Westbrook is a better defender than Curry, Rudy or Mayo. That said, Curry should make the team too because I like his playmaking and shooting.

Westbrook is a better defender than Curry, Rudy or Mayo. That said, Curry should make the team too because I like his playmaking and shooting.

I believe there's a difference between him playing in OKC and him playing for Team USA.

It seems like he is trying to be more of a scorer with this team and that shouldn't be his role. All those damn pull-ups won't cut it. I would love to him if he's committed to defense and finishing on the break, but he's trying to dominant the ball too much. That's why guys like Gordon, Curry and OJ looked better because they realize their role. None of them forced the action at all. If we need a perimeter defense, Rondo and Iguodala will make it. Rose/Curry/OJ  got some D too. If he's not willing to play within' his role, then I don't see him making the team.

My thing with Rudy is that he's not willing to take over when needed. There were times when he had the ball and he was being too passive and he fell in love with the outside shot. They were going in, but that won't always be the case. He does it with the Grizz too. Then, you saw Durant getting the ball within' 5 ft of the basket because he was moving well without the ball.

I believe there's a difference between him playing in OKC and him playing for Team USA.

It seems like he is trying to be more of a scorer with this team and that shouldn't be his role. All those damn pull-ups won't cut it. I would love to him if he's committed to defense and finishing on the break, but he's trying to dominant the ball too much. That's why guys like Gordon, Curry and OJ looked better because they realize their role. None of them forced the action at all. If we need a perimeter defense, Rondo and Iguodala will make it. Rose/Curry/OJ  got some D too. If he's not willing to play within' his role, then I don't see him making the team.

My thing with Rudy is that he's not willing to take over when needed. There were times when he had the ball and he was being too passive and he fell in love with the outside shot. They were going in, but that won't always be the case. He does it with the Grizz too. Then, you saw Durant getting the ball within' 5 ft of the basket because he was moving well without the ball.

One reason why he should be on the team, other 3 lack defense. Curry should make just because he is the best shooter and his play making. If Rudy had that aggressiveness like Durant, he could easily be 2nd leading scorer on the team

One reason why he should be on the team, other 3 lack defense. Curry should make just because he is the best shooter and his play making. If Rudy had that aggressiveness like Durant, he could easily be 2nd leading scorer on the team

Actually now that I think about it, Iguodala is probably slated to start at SG. It can't be a coincidence that he was starting with the four players (Durant, Odom, Billups and Chandler) that everybody views as near locks to start. His inconsistent shooting should be hidden with Billups and Durant on the floor, and even Odom to a lesser extent. He'll just be asked to play defense and run the floor.

Actually now that I think about it, Iguodala is probably slated to start at SG. It can't be a coincidence that he was starting with the four players (Durant, Odom, Billups and Chandler) that everybody views as near locks to start. His inconsistent shooting should be hidden with Billups and Durant on the floor, and even Odom to a lesser extent. He'll just be asked to play defense and run the floor.

LAS VEGAS - Team USA will cut four players by Monday, and I am going to give you my best educated guess as to who those four players will be.

A couple are easy to predict, a couple are not. So I'll give you a list of six, with my top cut choices are listed 1 through 4.

Tyreke Evans: Missed final two days of practice and Saturday night's public scrimmage with a sore ankle, making for an easy decision as to which of Team USA's many talented point guards can be trimmed from the mix.

Danny Granger: Was good, not great, among a field of wing players in which someone needed to standout. The player who did that was Andre Iguodala.

Gerald Wallace: If anyone Saturday night played himself off the 15-man roster for training camp in New York, it was him. No rebounds, no blocks, no steals, 0-for-4 on 3s in 12:27 of playing time.

Eric Gordon: On the opposite end of the spectrum, Gordon may have bought himself some time. Was a sparkplug, made 4-of-7 3s and had two steals. Brings a toughness that is difficult to discard.

O.J. Mayo: Like Gordon, he played as though he knew his job was on the line: 18 points, seven boards, 3-for-6 on 3s. Fits the way this team wants to play, but hard to see him making final 12.

JaVale McGee: The hard part about cutting him is they don't have anyone else like him - a jumping-jack 7-footer who can spell Tyson Chandler at center. And with Brook Lopez playing poorly while still recovering from mononucleosis, it's difficult to discard a big with a unique skill set.

Team USA managing director Jerry Colangelo said the team was leaning toward bringing as many as 15 players to Europe after playing an exhibition game against France at Madison Square Garden on Aug. 15 and a closed scrimmage against China sometime in the second week of August.

The thinking on bringing 15 across the pond is this: The final 12-man roster for the World Championship in Turkey does not have to be submitted until Aug. 26, and the U.S. federation will want to have a longer look at some of the bubble guys (and have extra players on hand in case of injuries) during a tough three-game exhibition tour -- a back-to-back against Lithuania and Spain on Aug. 21-22 in Madrid, and a game against Greece in Athens on Aug. 25.

Team USA opens the Worlds with three games in three nights Aug. 28-30 against Croatia, Slovenia and Brazil. The schedule then gets super-easy, with an off day Aug. 31, a back-to-back against Iran and Tunisia Sept. 1-2 to close out the first round, then four consecutive days off (if they win Group B) before their Round of 16 single-elimination game Sept. 6. (If the Americans finish 2nd in Group B, they'd play Sept. 5. If they finish 3rd, they'd play Sept. 7).

LAS VEGAS - Team USA will cut four players by Monday, and I am going to give you my best educated guess as to who those four players will be.

A couple are easy to predict, a couple are not. So I'll give you a list of six, with my top cut choices are listed 1 through 4.

Tyreke Evans: Missed final two days of practice and Saturday night's public scrimmage with a sore ankle, making for an easy decision as to which of Team USA's many talented point guards can be trimmed from the mix.

Danny Granger: Was good, not great, among a field of wing players in which someone needed to standout. The player who did that was Andre Iguodala.

Gerald Wallace: If anyone Saturday night played himself off the 15-man roster for training camp in New York, it was him. No rebounds, no blocks, no steals, 0-for-4 on 3s in 12:27 of playing time.

Eric Gordon: On the opposite end of the spectrum, Gordon may have bought himself some time. Was a sparkplug, made 4-of-7 3s and had two steals. Brings a toughness that is difficult to discard.

O.J. Mayo: Like Gordon, he played as though he knew his job was on the line: 18 points, seven boards, 3-for-6 on 3s. Fits the way this team wants to play, but hard to see him making final 12.

JaVale McGee: The hard part about cutting him is they don't have anyone else like him - a jumping-jack 7-footer who can spell Tyson Chandler at center. And with Brook Lopez playing poorly while still recovering from mononucleosis, it's difficult to discard a big with a unique skill set.

Team USA managing director Jerry Colangelo said the team was leaning toward bringing as many as 15 players to Europe after playing an exhibition game against France at Madison Square Garden on Aug. 15 and a closed scrimmage against China sometime in the second week of August.

The thinking on bringing 15 across the pond is this: The final 12-man roster for the World Championship in Turkey does not have to be submitted until Aug. 26, and the U.S. federation will want to have a longer look at some of the bubble guys (and have extra players on hand in case of injuries) during a tough three-game exhibition tour -- a back-to-back against Lithuania and Spain on Aug. 21-22 in Madrid, and a game against Greece in Athens on Aug. 25.

Team USA opens the Worlds with three games in three nights Aug. 28-30 against Croatia, Slovenia and Brazil. The schedule then gets super-easy, with an off day Aug. 31, a back-to-back against Iran and Tunisia Sept. 1-2 to close out the first round, then four consecutive days off (if they win Group B) before their Round of 16 single-elimination game Sept. 6. (If the Americans finish 2nd in Group B, they'd play Sept. 5. If they finish 3rd, they'd play Sept. 7).

Rose/Billups/Rondo
Iggy/Curry

KD/Gay/Granger

Love/Odom

Chandler/Lopez

I'm sure Billups and Odom will get the starting nods but that's the lineup I'd like to see. I'm not sure who to put as the 13th player but it's going to come down to either Westbrook or Jeff Green. You know KD is going to want atleast one of them on his team. The player I'd most like to see out there though would actually be McGee. Lopez looked like a damn clutz out there last night.

Rose/Billups/Rondo
Iggy/Curry

KD/Gay/Granger

Love/Odom

Chandler/Lopez

I'm sure Billups and Odom will get the starting nods but that's the lineup I'd like to see. I'm not sure who to put as the 13th player but it's going to come down to either Westbrook or Jeff Green. You know KD is going to want atleast one of them on his team. The player I'd most like to see out there though would actually be McGee. Lopez looked like a damn clutz out there last night.

They can only carry 12, no?

Switch Granger with Westbrook and you'll have the official roster.

Apparently staff have been raving about Westbrook in camp, and he played OK in the game where Granger really played awful. The game probably won't weigh that much but with Durant, Iggy, Gay they don't really need Granger.

Westbrook can have a bigger impact in transition and his on ball defense.

They can only carry 12, no?

Switch Granger with Westbrook and you'll have the official roster.

Apparently staff have been raving about Westbrook in camp, and he played OK in the game where Granger really played awful. The game probably won't weigh that much but with Durant, Iggy, Gay they don't really need Granger.

Westbrook can have a bigger impact in transition and his on ball defense.

Originally Posted by friscostylez

I really hope Rondo and Westbrook both don't make it since they pretty much play in a similar way. I think it either comes down to Big Shot, Mayo, Curry or Gordon for the 2 spot and I really hope Mayo makes the team since it looks like he knows and accepts his role.

Na those two have to make it.  They would probably be team USA's best perimeter defenders.

Hell yeah, considering the speed and quickness possessed by those European guards.

They have really nice footwork. But don't discount Iguodala. That man is still locking people up so I hear. I haven't seen a Philly game on tv in forever.

Originally Posted by friscostylez

I really hope Rondo and Westbrook both don't make it since they pretty much play in a similar way. I think it either comes down to Big Shot, Mayo, Curry or Gordon for the 2 spot and I really hope Mayo makes the team since it looks like he knows and accepts his role.

Na those two have to make it.  They would probably be team USA's best perimeter defenders.

Hell yeah, considering the speed and quickness possessed by those European guards.

They have really nice footwork. But don't discount Iguodala. That man is still locking people up so I hear. I haven't seen a Philly game on tv in forever.

Back
Top Bottom