Official Umar Johnson Thread

RustyShackleford RustyShackleford KHUFU KHUFU IATT IATT

I come in Peace. (Seriously)

1. When Umar/Tariq (and others) ask for bills proposed / acts passed for Black Specific affairs, there is often pushback from a certain audience. Can you explain to me why that is the case?
2. What context is usually being left out when people like Umar/Tariq say other groups get preferential treatment over us when it comes to getting laws passed EXCLUSIVELY protecting them?

I know you don't mess with either of them but just interested in what I might be missing.

-Because they often lie, or completely misunderstand what actually happened to help certain groups

-They don't understand the legislative process, or lie about it. So they don't understand why certain things did not pass.

-They don't understand basic civics or lie about them. So they confuse court rulings, EO, laws, and other things.

-They don't understand or lie about how one party systematically dilutes black people's political power, and in turn distorts the political possibilities for the community

-They regurgitate talking points that right-wing racist people use in their arguments

-A general ignorance about economic policy, especially macroeconomics, that would actually help black folk

Like wavycrocket wavycrocket said. They mix some truth, with lies, in close proximity. And it takes a lot for someone to untangle it all. More than the average person would be interested in doing.

They employ the framing that gry60 gry60 called the benevolent Santa Claus. That the President is an all-powerful head of government and if something does or doesn't pass, it is by his will.

I mean, other well-respected academics and writers, who are very critical of the Dems and Biden, view these dudes and their takes and problematic and bad as well.

They rely on keeping their audience semi ignorant about a lot of the political system, which IMO helps no one but themselves.

Last edited:
DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican a good example of how schtick like Umar's can crowd out important nuanced take, is something like the Federal Reserve

If the Umars and Tariq' in the world want to tell black people that the problem with the US Banking system is somehow tied back to the disproportionate amount of representation Jewish Americans have in the executive level of the banking system. Now if that is the main argument, then what lesson should black people be learning from this exactly? That Jews are a problem? And somehow if you change that, things will be solved.

Or should we instead listen to someone like Raphael Bostic that argues the US inflation target has been too low for too long, that full employment is a better macroeconomic state for working-class and poor black people, and that making sure the economy is in expansion for all long as possible with ensuring that effects of a growing economy actually reach those on the lower rungs of the income ladder. A section that black folk disproportionately represent.

It seems to me that would be a better more informed discussion about how America's monetary system can empower or hurt black folk going forward if we actually talked about policy without indulging in constant lies, misinformation, and the conspiratorial nonsense that Umar and Tariq do.

Last edited:
What i have noticed surrounding this interview (or anyone considered conscious/hotep) online is just how much people hold knowledge of anything in close proximity to whiteness.

The same people who find racism in everything from the national anthem to Disney movies often times will dismiss & ridicule any ideologies or concepts that aren't sanctioned by white liberals.

A ton of well-respected, well-educated, black commentators from all over the ideological spectrum don't rock with Umar, and his takes, though.

I mean if you were an avid reader or Coates during his run, and were up on Umar, you could pick up the sneak clowning of Umar he did.

Last edited:
I’m not going pretend I know a ton about dude..
RustyShackleford RustyShackleford KHUFU KHUFU IATT IATT

1. When Umar/Tariq (and others) ask for bills proposed / acts passed for Black Specific affairs, there is often pushback from a certain audience. Can you explain to me why that is the case?
2. What context is usually being left out when people like Umar/Tariq say other groups get preferential treatment over us when it comes to getting laws passed EXCLUSIVELY protecting them?

I know you don't mess with either of them but just interested in what I might be missing.

You think I pay enough attention to this dude to find out how much legit leg work he’s doing trying get this stuff done?

With a lot of people in general they point fingers without doing even the slightest bit of homework

but that’s why you’ll routinely hear people say dumb shhh like Fox News and msnbc are the same.. or comparing AOC to some of the current crazies

I can’t be bothered to go that far with dude outside of a comment or something being used as a joke

"Most of what we learn in college is not economically relevant in the Black community."

What do yall think of think of him saying he would send every Black kid to trade school to make enough money to pay for some higher education as well as having skills to be useful to society.

Is not being able to pay for college the issue? Or the main issue?

While whites and immigrants are pursuing stem degrees we should push black kids into...construction?

Is not being able to pay for college the issue? Or the main issue?

While whites and immigrants are pursuing stem degrees we should push black kids into...construction?

In the interview he stated that kids are going to college with absolutely no idea what they want to do, building up thousands upon thousands in debt & are coming out to a workforce that won't allow them to pay it back.

Both can be done, every kid isn't going to be a stem major tho, some people just aren't skilled in that kind of setting. For those who can't see themselves going down those kind of paths it would be much more helpful as a community if our teens picked up valuable trades while still young.

Yea, I think people have finally gotten over the, "College for Everyone" foolishness that has been pushed over the last 15 years.

In Virginia, there have been local construction companies that have been directly recruiting from some of the schools there, which is a good look.

Here in DC we have practically taken all trades out of the high school that don't involve Barber/Cosmetology. Wood shop/Carpentry is non-existent when compared to what we had 20 years ago.

So maybe things will improve in the next 10 years. (Hopefully)
Same in ny they push the idea of college to all students which is ridiculous to me. They honestly think a 12th grader with a elementary reading level is going to go to college and succeed

Umar's rallying cry is "UNAPOLOGETICALLY" AFRICAN and not "Tepidly African" or "Accidentally African" or "Quietly African".

So when he says anything, his being unapologetically African and championing that cause is the context.

People can pick that apart and discredit him all they want to. But he said unapologetically African and if we're gonna talk about him, the fact that that's his message should probably be kept in mind.

Anybody want to address his point about the Emmet Till Anti-Lynching Bill never being passed? Or was he lying about that too? (Yes he exaggerated when he said Asians have been suffering attacks for 1 year but I'm asking specifically about the anti-lynching bill).

RustyShackleford RustyShackleford

Wow, this thread isn’t a “let’s make jokes thread”, but instead a “black economics thread”

good job brothers

In the interview he stated that kids are going to college with absolutely no idea what they want to do, building up thousands upon thousands in debt & are coming out to a workforce that won't allow them to pay it back.

Both can be done, every kid isn't going to be a stem major tho, some people just aren't skilled in that kind of setting. For those who can't see themselves going down those kind of paths it would be much more helpful as a community if our teens picked up valuable trades while still young.

I think thats true of all high school kids regardless of race yet you dont see this trade school narrative being pushed in affluent suburban schools. The public school system is failing children of color by not promoting and pushing higher education, amongst other things. I understand not every child is equiped to be a stem major but how much of that is due to the indifference to black success prevalent in inner city schools? I would prefer better college prep and curriculum than pushing trade schools. Construction jobs arent going to close the gaps minorities experience across the board.

As someone who started college later in life I can say that you are 100% behind the 8 ball if you choose to put off college long enough to allow a trade job to mitigate the costs of 4 years of college tuition in any meaningful way. I dont see how full time manual labor is going to enlighten the decision making process in terms of choosing a better degree program or career path either. I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure the statistics show you are less likely to pursue a 4 year degree the farther you are removed from an educational setting.

Umar's rallying cry is "UNAPOLOGETICALLY" AFRICAN and not "Tepidly African" or "Accidentally African" or "Quietly African".

So when he says anything, his being unapologetically African and championing that cause is the context.

People can pick that apart and discredit him all they want to. But he said unapologetically African and if we're gonna talk about him, the fact that that's his message should probably be kept in mind.

Anybody want to address his point about the Emmet Till Anti-Lynching Bill never being passed? Or was he lying about that too? (Yes he exaggerated when he said Asians have been suffering attacks for 1 year but I'm asking specifically about the anti-lynching bill).

His anger, his rage, are just. However his misogynist, and homophobic references are a problem from my point of view.

Example, the Dagara has a place for what are considered Gay men and women, as they are considered a go between when there is conflict between men and women of certain tribes. This is indeed African, as everyone has a place in that structure.

Does Umar understand this? Does he feel that the emasculation of young Black men is a result of this belief? To be Unapologetically African, should mean to embrace the origins of this theory as well. His ideas upon Black women being at home are also a problem.

IMO of course.

His anger, his rage, are just. However his misogynist, and homophobic references are a problem from my point of view.

Example, the Dagara has a place for what are considered Gay men and women, as they are considered a go between when there is conflict between men and women of certain tribes. This is indeed African, as everyone has a place in that structure.

Does Umar understand this? Does he feel that the emasculation of young Black men is a result of this belief? To be Unapologetically African, should mean to embrace the origins of this theory as well. His ideas upon Black women being at home are also a problem.

IMO of course.

I mean each person is going to have their own interpretation of what "Unapologetically African" should mean.

Nobody is going to be able to deliver a perfect message that appeals to everyone's palate.

We should push kids wherever we see them able to fit in.

Manual labor shouldn't be looked as "lesser."

Who is we? Who is making the determination of where young brothers and sister "fit in" and is that being determined in good faith? Thats the problem.

Providing substandard education due to substandard funding as a result of racist historical policies and surmising inherent ability isn't something I would support. All else being equal that position would be logical. But we know all else isnt equal.

Who is we? Who is making the determination of where young brothers and sister "fit in" and is that being determined in good faith? Thats the problem.

Providing substandard education due to substandard funding as a result of racist historical policies and surmising inherent ability isn't something I would support. All else being equal that position would be logical. But we know all else isnt equal.

Guidance Counselors get paid to make those decisions.

Parents have input as well.

I just don't believe college is for everyone (not saying you are saying it IS) and some kids that have (for whatever reason) not placed themselves in a position where they and people around them feel college is for THEM should look towards picking up a trade.

I mean each person is going to have their own interpretation of what "Unapologetically African" should mean.

Nobody is going to be able to deliver a perfect message that appeals to everyone's palate.
Yes, I agree, but we should not cut and paste what only makes us comfortable either. In order to claim authenticity, Umar should not play into the macho stereotypes that are prevalent in white supremacist societies.

Guidance Counselors get paid to make those decisions.

Parents have input as well.

I just don't believe college is for everyone (not saying you are saying it IS) and some kids that have (for whatever reason) not placed themselves in a position where they and people around them feel college is for THEM should look towards picking up a trade.

Yes and teachers get paid to educate and prepare students for the next level yet I knew dudes in HIGH SCOOL who could barely read. How can that happen? Inner city public school employees dont care man especially when it comes to children who dont look like them, who they cant connect and relate to. Parents are absent or overburdened. Make funding and the subsequent quality of education equal then we can talk about steering kids into the path they "belong". Otherwise I feel we are just perpetuating wealth gaps, education gaps and the underrepresentation of minorities in al.ost every aspect of American life.

Why am I being mentioned?

Parents are absent or overburdened. Make funding and the subsequent quality of education equal then we can talk about steering kids into the path they "belong". Otherwise I feel we are just perpetuating wealth gaps, education gaps and the underrepresentation of minorities in al.ost every aspect of American life.
Yea, This is a systemic issue man.

BUt to your last point, people have to make money to survive in this world.

Public schooling isn't changing overnight so in the mean time, give kids the tools to be able to flourish in the fields that they CAN flourish.

If that means they need to pick up a trade because they are reading on a 3rd grade level @ the age of 18, that might be the lane for them considering the hand they have been dealt.

Yes and teachers get paid to educate and prepare students for the next level yet I knew dudes in HIGH SCOOL who could barely read. How can that happen? Inner city public school employees dont care man especially when it comes to children who dont look like them, who they cant connect and relate to.
Yea, unfortunately there are many kids reading at elementary levels while in HS.
Childhood (il)literacy is something many poorer folks have to deal with because parents (for many reasons) aren't exposing their kids to words/reading at an early age.

Again, a systemic issue.

I am not blaming anyone nor am I making excuses for anyone but life/surviving gets in the way sometimes.
ALso, sometimes some of these parents simply don't know any better.

Back
Top Bottom