Official Umar Johnson Thread

When I was first introduced to the doctor I was given this approach to him and I do agree with it for the most part. whether two black parents or two Mexican parents etc I get the growth of a family structure from a history or culture.

I later learn statistically that no matter what a two parent household is better for the child regardless of ethnicity, race, income level, same sex etc. bar none

When I was first introduced to the doctor I was given this approach to him and I do agree with it for the most part. whether two black parents or two Mexican parents etc I get the growth of a family structure from a history or culture.

I later learn statistically that no matter what a two parent household is better for the child regardless of ethnicity, race, income level, same sex etc. bar none

I do not doubt the facts of the 2nd paragraph. I do ask though if a commitment to black families would be better for black people? I guess, to a point, it ain't about the kids. It's about the culture as a whole? Or should so much weight not be put into "the culture" and thus it should be about the kids?

Honest questions above. Not implying anything one way or the other.

No I got you.

I would like it to be kids first which leads to prosperous future as a whole in the community with everything else to follow. “Kids are the future”

while I think that Umar is pushing for culture first at all cost.

He beats around the parent household question in the first few secs of this one. I don’t know where the whole interview is tho

Personally I don't like the casual way he associates single mothers with incarcerated fathers as if black men going to jail is the reason for single motherhood.

Fact of the matter:

Black Male incarceration rates have been going down for years.

Black Single Motherhood rates have been going up for years.

Whole argument is a false premise but I understand Dr. Umar gotta keep his core audience / supporters happy.

Personally I don't like the casual way he associates single mothers with incarcerated fathers as if black men going to jail is the reason for single motherhood.

Fact of the matter:

Black Male incarceration rates have been going down for years.

Black Single Motherhood rates have been going up for years.

Whole argument is a false premise but I understand Dr. Umar gotta keep his core audience / supporters happy.
I never liked that both my daughters/their mothers would be considered single mothers, because I am not married to their moms, and such stat would only be used in "black men are deadbeats, etc." context conversations as if I am not fully there for the 4 of them and see them everyday as much or more as married fathers.

I never liked that both my daughters/their mothers would be considered single mothers, because I am not married to their moms, and such stat would only be used in "black men are deadbeats, etc." context conversations as if I am not fully there for the 4 of them and see them everyday as much or more as married fathers.

Look man as long as you're there for your kids. I know plenty of men not married to the mother of their children who are always with their kids. Where things go awry is when the break up isn't clean and amicable. That's why society needs to reformulate how we view parenthood and keep it completely separate from marriage. Marriage is between you and your spouse. It should never get interfere with caring for your children.

Back
Top Bottom