Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread . First (preseason) game in 2 days! Season Thread is up!

big guy with a great shot and runs the floor...5 for 50 ain't bad. plus dude's value could skyrocket this year.. if the second half of last year is aprecursor to this year i think bc made a good decision. he's locked up for basically his prime.

Originally Posted by BrOwNiN187

big guy with a great shot and runs the floor...5 for 50 ain't bad. plus dude's value could skyrocket this year.. if the second half of last year is a precursor to this year i think bc made a good decision. he's locked up for basically his prime.
Yup. Lets hope its a bigger window than others think it will be.

IMO he just hasn't shown he's worth double digits just yet. I do agree that if he can be consistent throughout an entire season and play like he didthe last half of the year, then we're good $$$

That contract isn't that bad for the team considering that Bargnani would be due to make $9 million+ next season (thanks to the #1 overall pick payscale).

One dude i really wanna see play this season is Roko Ukic..

If dude improves his jumpshot this year and his ball handling a bit, theirs no telling what damage this guy can do this year
plus he will be a good backup for Jose. Dude is just lacking a jumpshot and other little things, I think he needs to drive to the hole (Pause) more
but it is nun a lil training and summer league action cant fix.

Originally Posted by cquan05

THE TORONTO RAPTORS HAVE SIGNED ANDREA BARGNANI TO A 5 YEAR $50 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT EXTENSION.
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
**** he is making less than Hedo and he is a better player. Whats theproblem?

Originally Posted by cquan05

THE TORONTO RAPTORS HAVE SIGNED ANDREA BARGNANI TO A 5 YEAR $50 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT EXTENSION.
indifferent.gif

whats there to stoneface about 50mil over 5yrs? if he improves on the 2nd half of last season's performance that money will be more thanearned during the 5yr span.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

laugh.gif
**** he is making less than Hedo and he is a better player. Whats the problem?

i am being entirely objective about this based on on court production

but i seriously dont have a clue as to how you would go about arriving at this conclusion.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

laugh.gif

but i seriously dont have a clue as to how you would go about arriving at this conclusion.
Seriously. He has had spurts of nice play..but he isn't even worth the $50 mili. He's lucky to be a big. That's the only reason he gotpaid.

And don't get it twisted..I like the guy. But he has tons to improve on.

Originally Posted by starbury03

laugh.gif

Seriously. He has had spurts of nice play..but he isn't even worth the $50 mili. He's lucky to be a big. That's the only reason he got paid.

And don't get it twisted..I like the guy. But he has tons to improve on.

i mean he played quite well at times last year. even that was only for the 2nd half of the season.

and he still pulled down a paltry 15 and 5 . there's obviously potential there but whether it's ever tapped remains to be seen.

hedo dropped 19, 5, and 5 a season ago and 17, 5, 4 this year. grabbing the same amount of boards at 3 inches shorter and 30 lbs less, while scoring anddishing more.

the extension could have waited. he's not looking to leave so it's not as if he would have leveraged that against the franchise.

it's not out of order to expect 19 and 7 from bargs this year, and that's being generous as it should be more,

the experience is there and the oppurtunity is there.

now it's time for him to step into the spotlight and show and prove.

Hedo is na inefficient offensive player, I believe the variety of skills he posses have cause people to over look his actual production, the fact of the matterthis is a guy who shot 42% from the field last year and though is a good passer his turn over rate isn't exactly stellar. It's one of those cases whereI think he was far more valuable to the magic than to anyone else.

When he Bargnani started he proved he could an effective and efficient offensive player and his defense made huge strides other than passing he does everythingelse that Hedo does, just as well excpet more efficiently.

You really think Hedo is the second bast player on the Raptors, for me he might not even be the third best.
grin.gif

Bargnani's salary is actually very modest when you put things into perspective. Here's a guy who's made $6-$8 mill a season thanks to the NBArookie pay scale. He's only going to get a $2 million/yr raise over the next 5 years (after 2010) in what'll probably be the prime of his career.

If he improves and fulfills his potential, this contract will be a steal for the Raptors and Bargnani will likely fire his agent. If he plays poorly, hiscontract will be modest enough to trade and as the cap increases beyond the current economic crisis, $10 mill/season will be peanuts relative to increasingteam payrolls.

As a comparison, Bynum got a 4 yr/$58 million extension after he had a nice 35 game stretch in the 2008 season
smh.gif
. Bogut (#1 overall in 05) got a 5 yr/$60 million extension last summer while averaging12 and 9 at that point in his career.

Listen guys, if Stack actually plays for the Raptors you have to pay him 7.5 million. The only way his contract drops to 2 mil is if you cut him before themiddle of August.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Bargnani's salary is actually very modest when you put things into perspective. Here's a guy who's made $6-$8 mill a season thanks to the NBA rookie pay scale. He's only going to get a $2 million/yr raise over the next 5 years (after 2010) in what'll probably be the prime of his career.

If he improves and fulfills his potential, this contract will be a steal for the Raptors and Bargnani will likely fire his agent. If he plays poorly, his contract will be modest enough to trade and as the cap increases beyond the current economic crisis, $10 mill/season will be peanuts relative to increasing team payrolls.

As a comparison, Bynum got a 4 yr/$58 million extension after he had a nice 35 game stretch in the 2008 season
smh.gif
. Bogut (#1 overall in 05) got a 5 yr/$60 million extension last summer while averaging 12 and 9 at that point in his career.
Exactly. Young NBA centers get paid, this has always been the case, and in comparison to some of the other crazy contract that has been handed outto centers we got him for a nice price, and if he gives us 21, 7, and 2 for 5/50? That is a bargain.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Listen guys, if Stack actually plays for the Raptors you have to pay him 7.5 million. The only way his contract drops to 2 mil is if you cut him before the middle of August.
Stackhous will be traded to a 3rd team and they will be compensated, stackhouse will never be in a raptors uniform.

I expect Bargnani to storm out of the gates. He's going to get 35 mpg and with the addition of Turk, this is the best supporting cast he's had as aRaptor. Turk is going to command a lot of shots which may prevent Bargs from scoring 20 ppg but if Bargs can get 18+ ppg and 7+ rpg, then we should be happy.Hopefully he reaches a point in his career where he can average 20 and 10 easily. The points will come easy to him but he'll need to work on his defensivepositioning in order to grab more rebounds and truly be a star in this league.

Bosh will likely average 22 and 10 again, Turk should get around 16/5/5 while Jose should get 12 and 8 assists. Our SG wont be asked to do much, maybe they endup averaging 8 ppg. Despite getting solid production from 4 starters, our bench will be our achilles heal and it'll be the #1 impediment to a 50-winseason. You have to have bench production in the NBA, there is no question about it.

Congrats to Marion I guess...he'll get a bigger contract as a result of this sign-and-trade rather than signing an unrestricted free agent contract.Raptors get nothing out of this deal, BC was just doing Marion a favor.

http://sports.yahoo.com/n...;prov=yhoo&type=lgns

[h1]Mavericks near deal for Marion[/h1]
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 6 hours, 22 minutes ago

More From Adrian Wojnarowski

The Dallas Mavericks are close to acquiring Shawn Marion(notes)in a sign-and-trade deal with the Toronto Raptors, league sources saidWednesday.

Jerry Stackhouse(notes)will be dealt to the Raptors, who will ship his contract to another team for considerations.

The Memphis Grizzlies or Oklahoma City Thunder are believed to be the possible third team involved because they can absorb contracts without having to giveany salary back to Toronto.

If Stackhouse is waived before Aug. 10, only $2 million of his $7 million salary for next season is guaranteed.
The Dallas Morning News first reportedthat the Mavericks are nearing a deal for Marion, describing the trade as "on the lip of the cup.

Well considering the economy I think we will be able to find some minimum salary players to fill out our bench.

raptors signed bargs for 50 mill LOL

%##* me, this team isn't going anywhere for another 6-8 years

Originally Posted by teddy jam

raptors signed bargs for 50 mill LOL

%##* me, this team isn't going anywhere for another 6-8 years
I have been a huge critic of Bargnani over the last few years but there is little to complain about regarding this extension. The raise is minimal(Bargnani was due to make $9 million next season) and once the cap eventually goes over $60 million in 2-3 yrs time, a $10 mill/yr contract will be consideredpeanuts. Let me pose this question to naysayers of this extension...what other alternatives are there? Let Bargnani become a Restricted Free Agent and engagein a bidding war with other teams? Let him walk as an unrestricted free agent?

I cant wait for people to react negatively to Chris Bosh's new contract next summer (wherever he may go). "OMFGZZZZZ...Bosh is SOOoooooooooverpaid...he isn't worth $20 million/yr". Ofcourse these are the same people who fail to realize under his current contract he was getting an annualraise of $2-3 million and will make $17 million in 2011 if he chooses not to opt out in 2010.

Face it...everyone in the NBA makes a lot of money. Although it seems like a lot of money to us, player salaries are proportionate to the amount of money beinggenerated by the NBA (a multi-billion dollar corporation). There's no reason to dispute the amount of money a player signs for. It makes more sense tocompare salaries with other players who play the same position, have the same amount of NBA experience, have similar stat lines etc. Bargnani is not over-paidcompared to other 7-foot NBA Centers.

I swear the Stack deal was supposed to come to us!

Any word on what Stack is going to do once bought out in Memphis?

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

I swear the Stack deal was supposed to come to us!

Any word on what Stack is going to do once bought out in Memphis?
We dont have the cap room to keep Stackhouse. Once he gets bought out he'll likely sign with a contender for a small and short term contract(perhaps the veterans minimum $1+ million/season).

Anderson Varejeo just got a 6 yr/$50 million deal and you guys are telling me that Bargnani is overpaid?
roll.gif
roll.gif

raptors need to sign:

nate huffman
eric montross
michael bradley
loren woods
rafael araujo (shouldnt even joke about this one ) .

raptors need to sign:

nate huffman
eric montross
michael bradley
loren woods
rafael araujo (shouldnt even joke about this one ) .
Thats almost Winnipeg Blue Bomber esque. I mean, things worked out with Armstrong, right?

I kid, I kid Clutch.

What the hell happened with that situation anyway?

Back
Top Bottom