OFFICIAL THE WIRE THREAD.. ''The game is the game"

I thought season 2 was good. Can someone express why they hated or disliked it?

Before I watched the wire, various people in the wire threads were saying that season 2 was weak.

I didn't find that to be the case.

On another note:

Season 4 was my fav. season. So many feels.

The feels I felt when you see that corner boy turned scholar giving a speech.

Son...

"Did he have hands? Did he have a face??? Then it wasn't us.."
I cringed every time that Russian dude spoke. Accent was so damn horrible.
He's from Virginia.
laugh.gif

I thought season 2 was good. Can someone express why they hated or disliked it?
Before I watched the wire, various people in the wire threads were saying that season 2 was weak.
I didn't find that to be the case.

On another note:
Season 4 was my fav. season. So many feels.
The feels I felt when you see that corner boy turned scholar giving a speech.
Son...
From the way I see it ppl don't like S2 cuz of what they got in S1. You watch S1 at the time and you're waiting for S2 looking up info I don't think there was anything letting fans know they'd be largely focusing on a whole different group of ppl in Bmore. So from there once the season starts it's at a negative for a grip of ppl. Then you see the focus isn't on a culture of ppl so to speak but just a different way of life of blue collar workers, being a bit crooked trying to get by. I bet a lot of ppl didn't like Ziggy, Nick wasn't that great of a character. So who else is there? You basically gotta then readjust and get to know the detectives in the detail better and I guess root for them.

It caught me off guard too but since one thing I caught on to before watching an ep of The Wire was a lot of fans didn't like S2 for some reason I kept that in mind and I ended up liking it. I just think ppl were expecting more of a half police show half drug game. S2 stray away from that but once S3 comes in with the focus on politics you realize the show is exploring different areas of Bmore pretty in depth. IMO S2 was better than parts of S5 (I hated the focus on the journalists).

As for your other note, **** Namond.

Season 2 is absolutely brilliant.

I mentioned it before, but after a few more viewings I appreciated season 2 much more. This is why the Wire is so brilliant...its depth and the decline of the port industry's contribution to the overall decay of Baltimore.

Not to nitpick but David Simon could've gotten a more believable guy to play Boris the Russian :lol:

Season 2 was so damn whack.

I didn't care much for any of it. All of it could've been summed up in an episode. No need for an entire season.

I didn't care for the dock workers, the Russians/Greeks/Israelis, or how prop joe's dope was coming in.

Season 2 was so damn whack.

I didn't care much for any of it. All of it could've been summed up in an episode. No need for an entire season.

I didn't care for the dock workers, the Russians/Greeks/Israelis, or how prop joe's dope was coming in.
You must've watched it wrong
laugh.gif

The series is completely incomplete without season 2.

How is it incomplete without season 2?

It can't all be about the street perspective...sure that's the exciting part for most folks but season 2 is essential to the entire story. No conduit to bring the drugs in, then the entire series ends much quicker.

If you don't like season 2 you don't like The Wire.

Or at least you don't "get" it.

229532.gif

What exactly don't I get?

It can't all be about the street perspective...sure that's the exciting part for most folks but season 2 is essential to the entire story. No conduit to bring the drugs in, then the entire series ends much quicker.

They could've deleted the entire season, and no one would've said anything about "man, this story is so incomplete".

I'm convinced people just gas that season up because they think it's the "cool" thing to do.

I think you need to watch the series again homie. Sounds like you're viewing it from a purely "entertainment" POV. There's more to the Wire than meets the eye.

Last edited:
Master Zik hit it on the head.

The focus of season 2 just threw me off, and IMO,the majority of those characters werent nearly as entertaining as String, Omar & co. Ziggy was straight up annoying. Nick was forgettable.

I've grown to appreciate Season 2 on subsequent viewings, but I couldn't wait for them to put the primary focus back on the streets when I saw it the first time

Last edited:
I just finished watching the wire for the first time.

I watched season 1, then the first 2 episodes of season 2, skipped the rest and went straight 3-5.

Enjoyed it, don't think I missed much in season 2 either.

I think you need to watch the series again homie. Sounds like you're viewing it from a purely "entertainment" POV. There's more to the Wire than meets the eye.

Lol. This sounds like a cop out.

You said the series is incomplete without it, and I'm asking you how.

Like I said, they could've scrapped the whole season, and there wouldn't be a peep about how "incomplete" the show is.

Season 2 is the backbone to whole series.

You see where the drugs come from, you see who REALLY controls the drug trade, how in the big picture The Greek was pulling all the strings on these street folk.

It is one of the underlining themes of the show, that what the people do doesn't matter there is always someone who can derail everything.

Carcetti tried to be the good guy, then got caught up with the game and needing funding, so he had to play the game.

Stringer tried to make the drug trade as business like as possible, Marlo and Avon wanted the gangster way, but none of it mattered without the drugs which was controlled by the Greek.

Prez tried to teach the kids and was doing it until he learned that he had juke the numbers and teach the kids how to pass the test, because they needed the funding from the government.

I agree entertainment wise, it wasn't the best season, however importance wise it right up there as the most.

Without this season, you have a show about gangsters fighting for territory and the right to sell their yellow tops, because of Season 2 the whole show is given context and shows that in the end the working man can't do anything the change the world. Season 2 is the reason why the Wire is being taught in colleges and why the show gets such great acclaim as a great Drama and not just as some Mob/Thug show.

And for the record....S4>S3>S2>S1>S5

Last edited:
^

Thanks brah.

Not saying I agree with it, but at least you gave a reason as to why you liked it and not some bs "you just don't get it" response. :lol:

Season 2 still sucked tho.

Like I said, they could've scrapped the whole season, and there wouldn't be a peep about how "incomplete" the show is.
Season 2 brings the whole series full circle.

The more of the series you watch, the more you refer back to season 2 (or at least I did). That's the beautiful thing about the show. Certain aspects of the present aren't revealed until you've watched the future. That's why I love it.

What did you make of the union (or anti-union) angle as it pertains to the rest of the series?

Last edited:

Season 2 brings the whole series full circle.

What did you make of the union (or anti-union) angle as it pertains to the rest of the series?
at first i didnt like season 2
but the more i got into the season and series as a whole
i appreciated it and enjoyed it

Last edited:
I think that's a pretty common theme. I didn't like it as much as the other seasons, but upon rewatching, it became one of my favorites.

Without this season, you have a show about gangsters fighting for territory and the right to sell their yellow tops, because of Season 2 the whole show is given context and shows that in the end the working man can't do anything the change the world.
the game is the game yo.

Back
Top Bottom