OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

hey guys, this thread is pretty cool and very interesting. anyways, i am half-free this summer and feel like dedicating myself to trying to learn as much about the stock market as I can. I consider myself pretty smart (I go to a top-10 school), and I was wondering if you guys could tell me which books and websites to go to that are intensive on stock market education. Yes, I will check out stockcharts.com as much as possible. However, which books should I read? I want to read at least 3 in the next month. I have heard Benjamin Graham's The Intelligent Investor is a good start. Should I read this? Thanks for the help.

Here's a good place to start if you really want to get serious (Graham is good too).

http://shop.ebay.com/item...nvestments&_osacat=0

Be advised, most advice in this thread is nonsense btw. Lots of decisions being based on technicals and short-term speculation.

Thanks for the response, Andycrazn. Correct me if I am wrong, but the "Market cap" is the same volume that you are talking about, right?

^ I got ya.

Market cap = share price * shares outstanding
Volume = # of contracts/securities being traded in a given time period.

If you want to learn about basic definitions, go to www.investopedia.com. They have a dictionary of terms with explanations.

Originally Posted by thaisativa1

Originally Posted by bijald0331

hey guys, this thread is pretty cool and very interesting. anyways, i am half-free this summer and feel like dedicating myself to trying to learn as much about the stock market as I can. I consider myself pretty smart (I go to a top-10 school), and I was wondering if you guys could tell me which books and websites to go to that are intensive on stock market education. Yes, I will check out stockcharts.com as much as possible. However, which books should I read? I want to read at least 3 in the next month. I have heard Benjamin Graham's The Intelligent Investor is a good start. Should I read this? Thanks for the help.
SAME THING... any help?

investopedia.com will be your best friend ..

also, 651..Andycrazn basically hit the nail on the head. I was looking at getting into gold around the$850/ounce mark. Decided not to because A) the amount of $ i was going to put into gold was a pretty big number, B) because that money i was going to use topurchase the gold was used to make bigger gains in the market than just 'sitting' on gold C) because gold isnt a good investment to MAKE money, it is agood investment to MAINTAIN wealth and BEAT inflation

hope this helps some

-J23C

well people have suggested in putting between 5-10 percent into gold while others have suggested 10-25 percent. gold is a solid investment and looks good onyour portfolio. imo in times when you think inflation is gonna hit hard. increase the percentage you have in gold and in times of deflation, decrease it. itsall about adapting to whats going to happen/already happened.

^ No one knows. I'd stay out of HEB until news comes out. Try catch it on the run if it gets approval. It'll trade sideways like this until there issome news.

I got hit hard the last few days holding my swing trades. Was down almost $8K. Made it all back and some more with FITB. It seems like asafe play. Also, FEED is looking good.

Originally Posted by andycrazn

well people have suggested in putting between 5-10 percent into gold while others have suggested 10-25 percent. gold is a solid investment and looks good on your portfolio. imo in times when you think inflation is gonna hit hard. increase the percentage you have in gold and in times of deflation, decrease it. its all about adapting to whats going to happen/already happened.

real gold > paper gold. my parents have some bullion stashed in their bank box, and i know i should've done the same a couple years back...5-10% seemsreasonable. If it goes back down to the 900-910 range ill scoop a couple bars.

Are there any really legit sites that you guys use to buy bars?

Originally Posted by iEternalv

Originally Posted by andycrazn

well people have suggested in putting between 5-10 percent into gold while others have suggested 10-25 percent. gold is a solid investment and looks good on your portfolio. imo in times when you think inflation is gonna hit hard. increase the percentage you have in gold and in times of deflation, decrease it. its all about adapting to whats going to happen/already happened.

real gold > paper gold. my parents have some bullion stashed in their bank box, and i know i should've done the same a couple years back...5-10% seems reasonable. If it goes back down to the 900-910 range ill scoop a couple bars.

Are there any really legit sites that you guys use to buy bars?
definitely. i cop krugerrands because you can get more than spot price for it when you sell. but it comes with a higher premium than bars. isuggest copping from kitco since its reliable. if you want i can sell you an oz for a good price since im trying to get rid of a few.

My mom has a good chunk in real gold. It's really all jewelry though that she wears on a daily basis and nothing below 22 Karat. Probably over $180K worth.

how are you measuring the price of the gold? by the value of the gold alone or the jewelry itself?

because my chain is worth 1800 by the karat and weight of the gold. but my chain is worth around 6 grand because of the work done on it and the fact that its24k its alot harder to work with something like that since its so soft.

That is for the gold itself. Plus she has diamonds, rubies, emeralds...u name it.

Here is a nice play...looking very bullish: SWHC

ok i have some questions about this that i never really thought about until now.

what happens if a stock is near its 52 week high/low?
im thinking there is heavy resistance/support on it but once its broken its going to skyrocket/freefall. can someone put in their take on this issue cause DLMis near its 52 week high and im not sure if i got in at the wrong time.

^^

if you do your homework you should have a decent view of what the stock will do. Usually people see the stock around the 52 week low and buy, and sell forthe high or dont get in it at all..

the only problem is that if there is good news coming out, then buy regardless of where the stock is compared to the 52 week high/low, if there is bad newscoming then i would stay out of it/sell all that i can. you basically have to see where you THINK the stock is going, based on the research that you shouldhave done before buying....i hope this helps a little andycrazn

-J23C

no plays for today fellas? VRED is up another 20% today, so far 50% in total for just 2 weeks... i hope to see it hit .004-.006 very soon

-J23C

how do people feel about jamba juice, ticker: jmba

and how about CTIC?

im an econ major and worked in equity operations at merrill lynch for an internship in 2007, and have a good idea of the equity business, and would typicallyhave read every post on this thread but its kinda deep lol.

yeah, i dont know how i exactly feel about Citi stock.
i wouldn't be surprised if you saw them somewhere in the $1 range before year end.

wow... $1 range is far from my 2.50/share

i personally stay away from bank stocks BUT i did happen to get into BAC around the $6/share and sold recently when it hit $11/share

-J23C

Originally Posted by jordan23collecta

wow... $1 range is far from my 2.50/share

i personally stay away from bank stocks BUT i did happen to get into BAC around the $6/share and sold recently when it hit $11/share

-J23C

I'm in BAC right now. Holding for the long term though.

Originally Posted by jordan23collecta

^^

where would that be? 2.50/share?

-J23C
Watch for the 2.55-2.60 level and then the 2.30 level.
There's pretty good strength at around the 2.55-2.60 level.

One more thing.
The 200 and 50 dma's are either about to cross or diverge again. They are right up against each other as of now.
If the 50 crosses over the 200 that's usually a pretty bullish sign.

We're eaither going to have a huge sell off or a huge buying day pretty soon ( melt up or melt down of 3%+ at least)

Back
Top Bottom