:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers vs. Detroit Lions @ Candlestick 09/16:::

which is what? Passing to Megatron? they did, he got "corralled" even though he had 90+Yds but still he had no impact in the game. the only time the passing game was going for the lions was late in the 4th. i must admit they did try to run more than the packers did with the 9ers on week 1 so they wont be one sided but to no avail. but don't say yall got outplayed. yall got outclass by a better team.
Not just passing to Calvin but effectively spreading the ball around to all of our pass catchers, which did not happen IMO because they were trying so hard to force the run which is obviously not going to work with little Kevin Smith and Joique Bell running up the middle. Yes, the pass game did come alive at the end of the 4th when they abandoned the run, which is my point, so thanks for making it for me.

The passing game opened up in the 4th? You mean when we were up by multiple scores? Or do you mean the 3rd and 17 dump off that we inexplicably relaxed on to allow a 50 yard gain?

You guys were trying to pass all game.....just couldnt do it.

The passing game opened up in the 4th? You mean when we were up by multiple scores? Or do you mean the 3rd and 17 dump off that we inexplicably relaxed on to allow a 50 yard gain?

Its part of the game stop making excuses. I guess the Saints Defense "relaxed" when Alex Smith won that game in playoffs last year.

The better team at this point in time won. However the 9ers were given at least 4 points possible 7 when the play clock expired yet the play was allowed to be ran which resulted in the pass interference to happen.

Stafford leaving plays on the field and the Lions having non-NFL caliber talent starting 3 of 4 secondary positions and at running is why the game was won.

The 9ers won the game but let these dudes in this thread tell it they won by 30

Its part of the game stop making excuses. I guess the Saints Defense "relaxed" when Alex Smith won that game in playoffs last year.

Excuses? I was responding to the claim that the passing game was "opened up" in the 4th quarter. I was simply stating that apart from a fluke 3rd and 17 dump off pass, there is absolutely no truth to the claim that the passing game was opened up more in the 4th than at any point in the game.

And your comparison to the Saints defense is completely laughable. I have seen you post before, and frankly I am surprised to see you make such a childish comparison.

Last edited:

Excuses? I was responding to the claim that the passing game was "opened up" in the 4th quarter. I was simply stating that apart from a fluke 3rd and 17 dump off pass, there is absolutely no truth to the claim that the passing game was opened up more in the 4th than at any point in the game.

And your comparison to the Saints defense is completely laughable. I have seen you post before, and frankly I am surprised to see you make such a childish comparison.

Matt Stafford tripled his output in the second half man.

The Lions scored every single time they had the ball in the second half in comparison to two punts and an interception in the first. They damn sure weren't running it.

Last edited:
are we serious right now?

why wouldn't stafford's #s improve in the 2nd half? The lions were trailing the whole game. Of COURSE they are going to try and attempt more passing plays rather than running. If you guys are saying that's what they should have done from the start....than i dont know what to tell you, but laugh.

^ and there you have it(2nd post up) I don't know what you guys are getting so defensive for. No one is trying to downplay the 9ers or say they didn't play a great game, because they did. Its simple commentary on the failure of the Lions gameplan and that they didn't play as well as they should have.

Last edited:
[quote naers me="NothingToL0se" url="/t/506646/officiale-san-francisco-49ers-vs-detroit-lions-candlestick-09-16/100_20#post_16313053"]are we serious right now?

why wouldn't stafford's #s improve in the 2nd half? The lions were trailing the whole game. Of COURSE they are going to try and attempt more passing plays rather than running. If you guys are saying that's what they should have done from the start....than i dont know what to tell you, but laugh.[/quote]

This whole conversation started because JJ said the Lions passing game got going in the second half. By every single statistical measure it the Lions moved the ball and scored EVERY SINGLE TIME they had the ball in the second half.

Now the 9ers never gave up the big play and they locked down in the red zone which they deserve credit for but apparently if you don't think the Lions never moved the ball despite evidence to the contrary you are crazy.

The Lions lost this game because they couldn't stop 9ers at all.

Last edited:
are we serious right now?
why wouldn't stafford's #s improve in the 2nd half? The lions were trailing the whole game. Of COURSE they are going to try and attempt more passing plays rather than running. If you guys are saying that's what they should have done from the start....than i dont know what to tell you, but laugh.
you have no idea what you're talking about. Have you ever even seen a Lions game before Sunday? The Lions are not built around the run like the 49ers are. They are a pass first team that played like a run first team for the first three quarters against a team that excels at run defense. We started passing in the 4th and surprise surprise, started moving the ball well scored our first TD but by then we were so buried by poor gameplanning and playcalling that it was too late. That's it.

i guess this is really happening.

first off, i'm not denying the lions moving the ball (especially in the 2nd half), but to say they should've gone guns blazing from the start is ******ed. I will agree with you guys that the fact the Lions tried to run the ball as much as they did is puzzling, but that is what the niners WANTED them to do. They were basically in the nickle the whole game, daring the lions to run on their 6 man box. Lions thought they could, but failed.

As for all this 2nd half, offensive explosion...you guys do realize you were trailing in the game, right? After the 2nd half, it's game over. So to say Stafford improved XX amount in the 2nd half compared to the 1st half is void. Ya'll were playing catch-up the whole time and now you guys have 'time' against you. Yes, the lions scored every time they had the ball, but lets not forget the niners matched each and every time yall did.

Like dland said...look at that 3&17 where yall were able to gain like 50yards on the play. Who's to say if niners played it right...and say the gain was only for 5-7 yards...who's to say the lions would have converted on 4&whatever? All this really is..is hindsight

Also, your 'fierce' Dline got dominated. On paper, it says 3 sacks, but that Dline got owned.

I just don't agree with how you guys are saying "If the Lions just aired it out from the start, this game would have been won by the Lions." Yes, you guys didn't have all your starters on Def, but when the niners needed yards, they got it.

Last edited:
Confession: You guys are the best looking and most balanced team in the NFC, probably entire league, after two weeks. Can Alex Smith keep it up?

Aldon Smith is a grown man.

The Lions did what the 49ers allowed them to do. It's easy to say throw the ball 40 times, thinking Megatron is going to rape the secondary. Late in the the game he had 6 catches for like 40 something yards. He couldn't get open down the field so they had him running crossing routes all game and there 2 of best backers in the league waiting for him every time. The fact that the Lions were forced to throw the ball in the 4th and and had success is solely due to the fact that the game was pretty much well in hand.

Cliff Notes:

Detroit had to run more than usual 'cause their ACE in the whole (megatron) couldn't get open deep.

Our D turned Megatron's numbers into those of a back catching the ball in the flat (4 and 5 yard gains).

As expected Detroit wasn't going to be successful running.

Teams move the ball when the defense is in a prevent like defense.

P.S. You can't score 15 points on one drive.

Nowhere in this thread did I or anyone else say the Lions would have won. I said they could have won, as in they never even had a chance given the plays they ran but might have been able to if they played like they should have. You guys act like were coming in here saying the game was a fluke and the 49ers are a garbage team which is completely not the case. The lack of comprehension in here is disgusting.

I need to know how the hell the game was ever well in hand for the 9ers when if they don't convert 3 different 3rd and longs they punting back to Detroit for a game tying drive?

Last edited:
You guys already played to your strengths against us....Last year.........oh and you lost that game too..We are the better team and we shut you guys down..Twice...So move on.

You people realize yall are making no got damn sense right?

According to yall Detroit couldn't pass because yall dared us to run playing two deep safeties right?

Now when we had to pass and did we moved the ball because yall let us?

The game was never more than a two score game one score and one stop. You really really really think Jim Harbaugh changed his defensive scheme to allow a team with Calvin Johnson on it to have a chance to tie to the game with one stop.

I need to know how the hell the game was ever well in hand for the 9ers when if they don't convert 3 different 3rd and longs they punting back to Detroit for a game tying drive?
Going into the 4th...
9-17 niners
Akers fg 9-20
Hanson fg 12-20
VD td 12-27
Petti td 19-27
Lions try onside..fail..game.
However you want to slice it, the game was in hand. Even if you want to tell me that the lions were going to recover that onside and score to "tie' the game.

Nowhere in this thread did I or anyone else say the Lions would have won. I said they could have won, as in they never even had a chance given the plays they ran but might have been able to if they played like they should have. You guys act like were coming in here saying the game was a fluke and the 49ers are a garbage team which is completely not the case. The lack of comprehension in here is disgusting.

I can appreciate this convo we're having, especially w/o having to resort to namecalling and all :pimp:

but dude, you were saying how...Lions weren't even on top of their game and they ONLY lost by 8 points. That in itself is implying that given what you know now and if the Lions had aired it out, the outcome of the score would have been different. And we are basically saying. no. no it wouldn't have. You can't expectto throw it 50 times and expect great results from it. The Lions played into the Niners gameplan and it is what it is. You can keep going on and on about how the passing game would have worked better, but look at the packers. They tried that and they lost.

Last edited:
No hate on the Lions or their fans but did yall even watch the entire game? Your first FG was scored on a phantom PI call on Culliver (which was on third down). And Detroits only TD came after a missed penalty on one of the lions receivers on 4th and 17 that caused megatron to run free. That's 2 bad calls that led to 10 pts on the board. Lions second score came off a hunter kick off fumble at our 20. Our defense still causes a 3 and out even on that short field. Our Defense took away any strength the Lions had. The game wasnt nearly as close as the final score depicted. Theres a reason the Lions couldnt play to their strength - The Niners D wouldnt let them.

Last edited:
No hate on the Lions or their fans but did yall even watch the entire game? Your first FG was scored on a phantom PI call on Culliver (which was on third down). And Detroits only TD came after a missed penalty on one of the lions receivers on 4th and 17 that caused megatron to run free. That's 2 bad calls that led to 10 pts on the board. Lions second score came off a hunter kick off fumble at our 20. Our defense still causes a 3 and out even on that short field. Our Defense took away any strength the Lions had. The game wasnt nearly as close as the final score depicted. Theres a reason the Lions couldnt play to their strength - The Niners D wouldnt let them.
Didn't read your post, but love the SN :lol:...

Back
Top Bottom