Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

I think Maclin projects better in the NFL than Harvin. If we go defense, I'd rather see the pass rush addressed rather than a corner.

A lot of people are projecting us to pick a quarterback with the first pick. I really think we need to pick up a defensive player with that 10th pick.

I dont think Scott Linehan will be bad for the Niner ...he will use Frank Gore and that what Coach Singletary wanted...and as for Alex smith ..he did mentionhe willing to renegotiate his contract to stay with the team ...i still got a little bit of faith on Alex Smith because i feel bad for him with all thebull@!# he been through....we need a big NT/DT and safety ...all the offensive need can be done in later rounds ...Josh Morgan and Jason Hill step up a bittoward the end of the season at the WR position i dont think WR is a really big need, but we do need to work on the O-Line tho...

Originally Posted by thetruth03

Crab tree will be on the board before and after the 10th overall selection.. He's not goin top 10.. Def not top 5.. I'm praying for percy harvin or matthew Stafford.. I'd like to get mike jenkins but I highly doubt he's on the board at 10
roll.gif

I really don't want a QB with the 1st rounder, we should wait til 3rd, maybe 2nd if someone falls. There are other places that are a bigger priority

So with this news that Peppers wants out of Carolina.......A) do you think he would be down to come to SF? B) What do you think it would take to get him?

would love pepp in SF...

i think we would have to give up a couple of picks for him

acid, you are correct. it would be foolish to get a QB in the first round, the next thing we need is another project quarterbakc earning major loot ... nah wecan get a qb through FA or even 3rd or 4th round.

& dland i'd love peppers, but why does he want out of carolina? id hate to say it but if he wants to win, san francisco wont be the place for anotheryear or so - but id love him and justin smith on the ends
eek.gif
(is this his final yr?)

if we can get crabtree or malulga with 10 i'll be happy.

^^I dont know how to post articles, but here is a piece of it:

Peppers is making it known that he doesn't want to remain with the team.

"The front office has been informed of my desire to explore opportunities with other NFL teams following the expiration of my contract next month,"Peppers said in a statement e-mailed by his agent to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, and possibly others. "At this point in my NFL career, I am seeking newchallenges that will allow me to grow, develop and reach my personal potential on the football field.

"I strongly feel that making a move at this time is in my best interest. I appreciate the entire Panthers organization and am thankful for the sevenseasons I've spent with the team."

"Julius is firm in his decision that he needs a change," agent Carl Carey said, per Mortensen. "He feels that he can thrive in another system.While he has been selected to four Pro Bowls and designated as an All-Pro during his career, he feels that he has yet to develop to his full potential. This isthe case of a great player who seeks to become an elite one."

(Apparently, Carolina's plan is to franchise him. I think that would be the only real shot to get him, as I dont really think he would outright sign withus as a free agent.)

..Carey wouldn't say what teams Peppers, who turns 29 Sunday, would like to play for. He also declined to address speculation the Panthers could place the franchise tag on Peppers and then trade him. Kansas City dealt defensive end Jared Allen to Minnesota last year in exchange for a first-round pick and two third-round choices.

Peppers won't sign long-term deal with Panthers

I think our best shot at landing JP is if the Panthers don't franchise him. I think we have too many holes to fill to be trading multiple draft picks forone player.

but malulga and patrick willis as the future of the squad
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i get what you mean though bro ... we do have more needs - but i think malulga would still be a solid pick

[h5]January 17, 2009[/h5]
Q&A: Splashing into the free-agency pool

Question: The wonderful thing about the positions which Singletary is looking to fill is that there are plenty of free agents to fill them. I was mainly looking at Terrell Suggs who already has experience with a 3-4 defense and has been the Ravens' dominant pass rusher. Very durable and the Ravens can't hold on to all their linebackers so I think he'll be available. Another player is Jordan Gross from Carolina. If we could put him at right tackle we could move Snyder in at guard where i think he'll succeed. What do you think of free agency this season?
KC, Fair Oaks

Answer: The thing about the free-agent oasis is that it dries up rapidly in advance of free agency. That is, some of these would-be free agents will be crossed off the list by 9 p.m. Feb. 26. I think Gross will be tough to snag because the 49ers will be hesitant to pay left-tackle money to someone they would put at right tackle. If he hits the market, Gross will have many suitors. Suggs seems more realistic given Singletary's history with him. But remember, Suggs had eights sacks this season. Parys Haralson had the same total and, unlike Suggs, he did not start every game and did not have as good a surrounding cast.
- Matt

Question: It seems that it would be a mistake to hire Linehan. I understand that he had a wholesale revolution on his hands in St. Louis along with a very poor win-loss record. The 49ers would be right back where they have been for the past 5 or 6 years. I have been excited about the roll they have been on under Singletary and I fear that would be reversed under Linehan.
Dean, Rancho Murieta

Answer: Some guys are great tacticians but not great managers of men. But since that's where Mike Singletary excels, I don't see any locker-room revolts in the 49ers' future. Isaac Bruce? Now that may be a different story ...
- Matt

Question: hey matt, just wondering if youve heard any rumblings regarding russ grimm as a possible oc. i know he dosnt have any play calling experience but from what ive read he would bring a pretty tough physical presence to the offense. he also has alot of playoff experience that would be great for a young team.
Chris, Dallas

Answer: hey chris, what happened to capitalization and apostrophes? ... I think Russ Grimm's next move would be as head coach, especially if his Cardinals make it past Philly tomorrow.
- Matt

Question: Mr. Barrows: With all the new coaching moves & interviews, is there a chance coach Singletary would entertain the notion of bringing in some old 49ers (such as Ronnie Lott) to coach the players. Maybe if this crop of players could hear what it was like to win they might catch on. Thanks.
Jimbo, Sacramento

Answer: It seems that ex-Bears, not ex-49ers, have Singletary's ear. However, I wonder if Bryant Young will join the staff as an assistant at some point.
- Matt

Question: Yo Matt, I feel as if being a 49ers faithful is starting to pay off! On that note what do you think is Singletary's highest priority this offseason? (Franchise qb, OC position, Good Draft, Free Agents......etc..)
Matt, San Diego

Answer: The biggest priority for the franchise is finding continuity on offense. That starts with the OC. Once that's set, I see Singletary, Scot McCloughan and the OC - ostensibly Linehan - sitting down and talking about the quarterback. Are they happy with Shaun Hill? Do they make a play for Jeff Garcia? Do they keep Alex Smith? Do they target a quarterback in the draft? When they settle that, then they start to look at the offensive line, beginning with right tackle.
- Matt

Question: Matt, thanks for all the hard work buddy. I keep hearing people say that the 49ers offensive line is a perfect fit for Singletary's hard-nose running attack. Just wondering, did anyone bother to watch the games this year? The line couldn't convert on third and short all year long, and were even worse trying to run in the red zone (even under Singletary's rule). Can Rathman, Foerster and the new OC solve this problem? The majority of that same line will be back next year.
Marc, Tempe, AZ

Answer: I hear what you're saying - even though the 49ers will have new coaches and a new attitude, their personnel at the most critical spot, the o line, will be virtually the same. The bottom line is that we'll have to wait and see, but there are few things that should give fans hope. One is that Chilo Rachal ought to really take off in 2009. He has the potential to be the best run blocker - both plow-ahead blocking and pulling - on the team. Two, there promises to be an upgrade at right tackle. And three, the 49ers certainly will have a legitimate fullback leading the way.
- Matt

Question: Hey Matt, Huge Niner fan on the east coast. What are the prospects for niners drafting a QB, specifically Chase Daniels? He runs a complex offense and seems to have the arm and release needed by an NFL QB. Thanks!
John, Plainville, CT

Answer: Daniels definitely seems to have the brains for the next level. But he plays in that s-p-r-e-a-d offense and is usually in the shotgun. He also seems a bit Flutiesque in terms of stature. That being said, he could be a mid-round selection the 49ers would have to develop. And if they take Jeremy Maclin at No. 10, who knows ...
- Matt

Question: What on earth makes you think the 49ers would even consider using the 10th pick in the draft on Rey Maualuga? Don't you think that they have so many more pressing needs than a 2nd inside linebacker, especially considering how well Spikes played this year?
Jason, Stockton

Answer: Spikes isn't a long-term answer and the 49ers have no one waiting in the wings at that position. And remember, the 49ers nearly drafted Curtis Lofton in the first round last year. If McCloughan thinks Maualuga is the best player on the board at 10, he'll grab him.
- Matt
& That is why I think Rey would be a solid pickup @ 10, Spikes isn't getting any younger - who else do we have waiting with PatrickWillis?

If we were able to get Peppers in FA that would open up so many options for our 10th pick. We could get B.J. Raji who will secure the NT position and trulymake our DLine solid, or we could get a playmaker like Maclin. However if we were unable to get Peppers we'd have to address the pass rush and get someonelike Everette Brown.

If I'm not mistaken ... J. Peppers isn't a FA?

Meaning he'll need to be had for a couple draft picks
frown.gif

But, don't quote me.

Also, ReliantJ is doing the NT NFL Mock Draft
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

If I'm not mistaken ... J. Peppers isn't a FA?

Meaning he'll need to be had for a couple draft picks
frown.gif

But, don't quote me.

Also, ReliantJ is doing the NT NFL Mock Draft
nerd.gif
From what I understand he is a FA and has stated he doesn't want to return to Carolina which will hopefully make them reluctant to apply theFranchise tag on him. That's where trouble would start and anyone who wants him would have to give up two first round draft picks.

Good looks on the clarification.

Also its been said, he would like to play in a 3-4 as an OLB.

But first two draft picks? Ahhh - i'd rather keep them and build within the draft.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Good looks on the clarification.

Also its been said, he would like to play in a 3-4 as an OLB.

But first two draft picks? Ahhh - i'd rather keep them and build within the draft.
Yeah but Carolina I would guess would rather use the Franchise tag on someone like Gross who won't hold out on them. They probablywouldn't be able to sign both of them because of all the salary cap issues.

Originally Posted by i3allistic

I dont think Scott Linehan will be bad for the Niner ...he will use Frank Gore and that what Coach Singletary wanted...and as for Alex smith ..he did mention he willing to renegotiate his contract to stay with the team ...i still got a little bit of faith on Alex Smith because i feel bad for him with all the bull@!# he been through....we need a big NT/DT and safety ...all the offensive need can be done in later rounds ...Josh Morgan and Jason Hill step up a bit toward the end of the season at the WR position i dont think WR is a really big need, but we do need to work on the O-Line tho...
Yo Alex Smith had his chance, dude failed. He got outplayed by JTO in preseason
f4c251ce24ba7af448b2d8e7fe85f0b59840654.gif
thats BUM status right there.Plus he was STILL hurt from lthe yearbefore. He needs to go somewhere else and get a fresh start sit on a bench and LEARN. I dont feel bad for a guy who got 24 mil to do a job and couldnt do it.We need Hill, a seasoned VET and a Project QB of the future(3rd round or later) going into next season.

As for alex smith...

Alex_Smith.jpg

I'd love to get crabtree but theres no way he drops to 10, so I'm hoping they go NT or SAFETY

I don't know about yall but this is GREAT NEWS for me!!!!

Scott Linehan turned down the 49ers' offer today to become the team's offensive coordinator. It was a decision he described as "excruciating."

"I wish in so many ways that I hadn't liked the people so much," Linehan said in a phone interview. "I really think the franchise is going in the right direction."

Linehan, the former Rams coach, was a successful offensive coordinator with the Vikings and Dolphins. He said he wants to remain in coaching, but he said he was not ready to make a decision about joining the 49ers. He did not want to hold up the organization, he said.

"I had two great visits with the organization and with coach (Mike) Singletary," Linehan said. "The timing is such a crucial thing for me. I was unable to make a commitment at this point, and I felt like I could not do that to him (Singletary).

"It was basically a really tough phone call to make. There is not a better guy in the business than Mike Singletary."

Linehan said his reasons for declining the job offer were "all personal." Linehan and his wife, Kristen, have three young boys, the oldest of whom will be entering high school. The family has never lived in the same place for more than three years since Linehan broke into coaching in 1989.

"When I was 25, these decisions were made and I'd grab my luggage and go," he said. "Now, at 45, with three kids, trying to figure out the right thing is different. It was a lot easier when I was 25 - it was not so complicated."

Linehan said everything about the 49ers, from a professional standpoint, seemed right for him. He mentioned the background he has with quarterbacks Shaun Hill and Alex Smith. He said he is conflicted as he tries to figure out the next move, and he did not think it was fair to let the process drag on any further. Linehan said Singletary did not pressure him into making a fast decision.

I asked Linehan why he went through two interviews if he was not fully committed to joining the 49ers' staff.

"I hadn't been offered the job until the end of the process," Linehan said. "Being interviewed is a two-way street, so we were looking at each other. Everything from a professional side was a really good fit for me.

"Maybe it's because of where I was the last three seasons (head coach of the Rams) . . . It doesn't mean that a week from now I won't be kicking myself. But it's just not fair to the 49ers to hold up the process."

Linehan said he will probably attend the Senior Bowl in Mobile. He said he has not been offered any other jobs, though he said he has received "some interest" for other positions. "That all weighs into it," Linehan said.

"I don't know where this is going to go," he said. "This was really an excruciating decision for me."

Nice!!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

This could be a blessing in disguise.

I wouldn't mind Chudzinki (sp)?

Back
Top Bottom