Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by offbad

Originally Posted by dland24

92 = 80JerryRice80 ???
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
no doubt

who else comes in here typing nonsense

True....and I love how he quotes himself with the off name.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

Originally Posted by offbad

92 = 80JerryRice80 ???
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
no doubt

I am a PRICK

True....and I love how he quotes himself with the off name.
laugh.gif

92 & Jerry Rice have the same Avy
eyes.gif

How's that for giving it away ?!

oh lawl i see what you did thar. HAHAHAHAHAHA
lame attempt at being funny. 0 points for the effort as well. sorry.

by the way i didn't notice the similar avys.
the fallacies which embody your posts gave it away-- not a compliment.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

NikeTalker23 still has hope and faith in Alex Smith for some unknown reason, it's funny but yet very sad at the same time. Give it up champ, the Alex Smith ship has sailed, matter of fact it didn't even make it that far, it just sank. Now hopefully the organization does the right thing and signs Vick, that's who we really need.

What's sad is that your hate for Alex is so deep that you blind yourself from actual facts. If you were to compare Alex's stats with those of Aikmanand Bradshaw then they also would be considered busts at the time. What's even sadder is that you think the "right" thing for the organization isto sing Vick. That's a joke and I can't even take you seriously anymore. Signing a run first QB who can't throw that hasn't played in 3 yearssure is the right thing to do huh? I mean, I'd understand if he was a GOOD QB to begin with but he wasn't.

[h1]Morgan emerging in San Francisco ahead of both Crabtree, Bruce[/h1][table][tr][td]
michael_fabiano_HS_09_SM.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td]By Michael Fabiano | NFL.com
Fantasy Editor
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
j_morgan_wide_0728.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gregg Trott / Getty Images[/td] [/tr][tr][td]49ers wide receiver Josh Morgan posted 20 receptions, 319 yards and three touchdowns in his rookie season.[/td] [/tr][/table]
When the word "wide receiver" is mentioned in the same sentence as the SanFrancisco 49ers, the first name that comes to mind is Jerry Rice. Easily the greatest receiver to ever grace the gridiron, Rice finished his illustriouscareer with numerous NFL records.

Of course, success wasn't immediate even for a player of his caliber.
[table][tr][td]
Follow Fabiano on Twitter

Michael_Fabiano_65x90_headshot.jpg
Fantasy football columnist Michael Fabiano is now on Twitter. Follow along as Fabiano will post daily updates to help you prepare for that championship season. More ...
[/td] [/tr][/table]
As a rookie, Rice posted a respectable 49 receptions for 927 yards and scored four total touchdowns. Those numbers equate to 116 fantasy points in astandard scoring system, or about the same level of production as Muhsin Muhammadand Steve Breaston had last season.

Decent numbers, but certainly nothing to write home about.

Now the 49ers are hoping that Michael Crabtree can pick up where Rice left off so many years ago and give the team a lethal weapon in the pass attack.Crabtree, the No. 10 overall pick in the NFL Draft, was widely considered the most skilled and attractive wideout in the entire 2009 class.

Unfortunately, that talent alone won't be enough to make him a viable fantasy starter this season.

In fact, it could be another young wide receiver that makes the greatest fantasy impact in San Francisco this season.

Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to Josh Morgan.

Morgan, a second-year receiver out of Virginia Tech, has made a name for himself among the team's coaching staff this offseason. He was a top performerthroughout OTAs and is expected to enter training camp as a starter opposite IsaacBruce and ahead of Crabtree on the depth chart. Considering Crabtree's lofty contract demands and the chance for a holdout, Morgan could become thebetter option in fantasy drafts.

While the former Hokie didn't put up impressive overall numbers as a rookie, he did show flashes of potential down the stretch. In his final three gamesof last season, Morgan posted a combined 159 yards and scored two touchdowns. Overall, three of his 20 receptions went for scores.

The nature of the 49ers new offensive under coordinator Jimmy Raye is based on the run, and questions at the quarterback position won't improve thestock of any receiver in maroon and gold. In fact, it's very hard to project a 1,000-yard wideout with Morgan, Bruce, Crabtree, Brandon Jones, Jason Hill and VernonDavis all competing for targets.

But fantasy owners just shouldn't assume that Crabtree will be the team's top wideout because of all the hype around him.

In 2007, Calvin Johnson was considered the best wide receiver to come out of thecollegiate level in more than a decade. The Georgia Tech product would go on to finish his rookie season with a mediocre 48 receptions, 756 yards and fourtouchdowns.

He also scored fewer fantasy points than teammate Shaun McDonald.
[table][tr][td]

[/td] [/tr][/table]
Sure, Johnson went on to meet expectations as an NFL sophomore and is now considered one of the elite receivers in fantasy football, but it took time. Thesame scenario will hold true for Crabtree, who must endure what can be a difficult transition to the pro level.

In the meantime, fantasy leaguers need to keep tabs on Morgan during training camp and the preseason. If he continues to shine between the white lines, hecould be worth more than even Crabtree in seasonal formats.

Nice to see Singletary pushing the team from the start....hopefully this prepares them physically to play 4 quarters of good football. not 2 quarters as theyhave been doing for the last couple of years

after last year's debacle, I have no expectations. Won't buy into the hype again....I'd be satisfied with the team having a undisputed QB at theend of the year...that's all I want

Originally Posted by EZLN1

after last year's debacle, I have no expectations. Won't buy into the hype again....I'd be satisfied with the team having a undisputed QB at the end of the year...that's all I want
??? Elaborate.
How is a 7-9 season a debacle after a starting off 2-5 and going 5-4 w/ singletary?
not to mention we were one play away from winning the division

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

Originally Posted by EZLN1

after last year's debacle, I have no expectations. Won't buy into the hype again....I'd be satisfied with the team having a undisputed QB at the end of the year...that's all I want
??? Elaborate.
How is a 7-9 season a debacle after a starting off 2-5 and going 5-4 w/ singletary?
not to mention we were one play away from winning the division
shoo fly..

Originally Posted by kixofrinic

At this rate Sing is gonna body Crabby when he finally decides to sign.

laugh.gif
Im hoping that Singletary has Crabby doing sprints up that hill in thepractice facility when he signs.

I really have lost all respect for Crabtree. I never wanted him in the first place and this just makes me dislike him even more. Maiocco said "There areno new development in 49ers-Michael Crabtree negotiations. Crabtree hasn't changed contract demands, and 49ers aren't budging." Good, I'm gladthe team isn't budging because they shouldn't. Those longer he holds out the more it will hurt him, not the team. I'm content wth the WRs we have.

Did anybody go to Training Camp this weekend? How were they on checking tickets? Was it like the last couple of years when they just let you walk in?

Some tweets from today's practice:

http://twitter.com/SF_49ers
SF_49ersDuring 7-on-7 work, Josh Morgan pulled in an Alex Smith pass 40 yards down the field with only his right arm. Hands dlown best play of camp.

http://twitter.com/SF_49ers
SF_49ersVernon Davis continues to have a good camp. So far he's hauled in the most passes out of anyone today
MattMaioccoDL Kentwan Balmer pushed the pocket so much it caused concern. Shaun Hill almost got swallowed, but he spun out and stayed on his feet.

You know it's the Niners thread when people are miserable/losing respect for players for completely expected things during training camp
laugh.gif
RELAX.

Originally Posted by Burn916

You know it's the Niners thread when people are miserable/losing respect for players for completely expected things during training camp
laugh.gif
RELAX.
some of these ignorant faithfuls are blaming it on crabtree, saying he's gonna bust just cause hes holding out for training camp?
indifferent.gif
the **$*? you guys know it's manly the agent whos responsible forthis so he can get his own money out of the whole thing.

Originally Posted by 5288

Originally Posted by Burn916

laugh.gif
RELAX.
some of these ignorant faithfuls are blaming it on crabtree, saying he's gonna bust just cause hes holding out for training camp?
indifferent.gif
the **$*? you guys know it's manly the agent whos responsible for this so he can get his own money out of the whole thing.

laugh.gif
soo true ...

Originally Posted by 5288

indifferent.gif
the **$*? you guys know it's manly the agent whos responsible for this so he can get his own money out of the whole thing.
True, but the ball is always on the player's side of the court, if the player wants to take the deal, the agent MUST obey his client'srequest.

Back
Top Bottom