Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by AssistantSupervisor81

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

Anyone else like a one year deal for Mike Brown if the Bears let him go?

He's an injury risk, but he's one of the best in the NFL when healthy.

I also LOVE Malcolm Jenkins, who seems to be in the Niners' slot on all the mock drafts.

Mike Brown is def an injury risk but he brings so much to the table if he can only stay healthy we wouldnt have to get rid of him
a few years ago we also signed a former bears safety that turned out quite well for us...
nerd.gif

though mike brown is much more fragile than tony parrish.

A new FS would be a good start...Goldson has no choice but to be ready to start. Release Roman and start Brown at CB.

if you're talking about Tarrell, he has the promise to be good, but i firmly believe walt and nate are our best 2 CBs right now..

Around the NFC West: 49ers' big day

December 29, 2008 7:29 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
sfo.gif

John Crumpacker of the San Francisco Chronicle says Joe Nedney's last-second field goal sent the 49ers into a "feel-good offseason" with Mike Singletary as head coach.
Also from Crumpacker: Nedney was prepared for his big chance.
Nancy Gay of the San Francisco Chronicle says the 49ers couldn't wait to announce their plans for Singletary and newly named team president Jed York.

Lowell Cohn of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat cuts through the Singletary hysteria in characterizing the 49ers as an immature franchise. Cohn: "They are reminiscent of a high school kid with the usual acne who asks a girl he's not sold on to the prom because he's insecure and she's the only one who will talk to him. The Niners seem like that kid, holding on for dear life to Singletary, who has no standing around the league, who was not in demand and who would have waited for them no matter what he said about his pride."

Kevin Lynch of Niner Insider gets the feeling Mike Martz could stay as offensive coordinator.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee didn't expect the 49ers to act so quickly in naming Singletary as head coach.

Also from Barrows: Brian Jennings suffered a rare bad snap for the 49ers, but he was on target with the game on the line.

More from Barrows: Singletary was "not 100 percent sure" on Martz's future with the team.

Marcos Breton of the Sacramento Bee says the 49ers defeated one winning team under Singletary, and that team was the fading Jets.

Daniel Brown of the San Jose Mercury News hands out a B-plus grade to the 49ers' pass defense.

Also from Brown: The 49ers' players can't wait for the 2009 season.

Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat says Singletary's four-year, $10 million contract gives him the power to hire and fire assistant coaches.

Also from Maiocco: Many in the 49ers' organization felt Singletary faced an uphill fight for the job because the team wanted an offensive-minded head coach.

More from Maiocco: Frank Gore was excited to reach 1,000 yards for a franchise-record third consecutive season.

More yet from Maiocco: A postgame report card with a B-plus grade for quarterback Shaun Hill and an A-minus grade for coaching.

Chrissy Mauck of 49ers.com says players reacted with excitement when York and general manager Scot McCloughan announced Singletary's fate in the postgame locker room.

of course, you can click on the links for complete articles. just some interesting snippets from contributors.

Originally Posted by offbad

Around the NFC West: 49ers' big day

December 29, 2008 7:29 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
sfo.gif

John Crumpacker of the San Francisco Chronicle says Joe Nedney's last-second field goal sent the 49ers into a "feel-good offseason" with Mike Singletary as head coach.
Also from Crumpacker: Nedney was prepared for his big chance.
Nancy Gay of the San Francisco Chronicle says the 49ers couldn't wait to announce their plans for Singletary and newly named team president Jed York.

Lowell Cohn of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat cuts through the Singletary hysteria in characterizing the 49ers as an immature franchise. Cohn: "They are reminiscent of a high school kid with the usual acne who asks a girl he's not sold on to the prom because he's insecure and she's the only one who will talk to him. The Niners seem like that kid, holding on for dear life to Singletary, who has no standing around the league, who was not in demand and who would have waited for them no matter what he said about his pride."

Kevin Lynch of Niner Insider gets the feeling Mike Martz could stay as offensive coordinator.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee didn't expect the 49ers to act so quickly in naming Singletary as head coach.

Also from Barrows: Brian Jennings suffered a rare bad snap for the 49ers, but he was on target with the game on the line.

More from Barrows: Singletary was "not 100 percent sure" on Martz's future with the team.

Marcos Breton of the Sacramento Bee says the 49ers defeated one winning team under Singletary, and that team was the fading Jets.

Daniel Brown of the San Jose Mercury News hands out a B-plus grade to the 49ers' pass defense.

Also from Brown: The 49ers' players can't wait for the 2009 season.

Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat says Singletary's four-year, $10 million contract gives him the power to hire and fire assistant coaches.

Also from Maiocco: Many in the 49ers' organization felt Singletary faced an uphill fight for the job because the team wanted an offensive-minded head coach.

More from Maiocco: Frank Gore was excited to reach 1,000 yards for a franchise-record third consecutive season.

More yet from Maiocco: A postgame report card with a B-plus grade for quarterback Shaun Hill and an A-minus grade for coaching.

Chrissy Mauck of 49ers.com says players reacted with excitement when York and general manager Scot McCloughan announced Singletary's fate in the postgame locker room.
of course, you can click on the links for complete articles. just some interesting snippets from contributors.

i think mike martz should stay ....he improved the offense w/ one year under his belt, let give him another year or two and see what he can do with our youngplayers ...like VD and our young receivers....changing new OC every year aint the way to develop any young players
tired.gif

yeah i agree. i just don't like the inconsistency. no one will be able to really get comfortable that way.

i really would like to see VD be a fullback, i know hes too tall, but who knows
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

i really would like to see VD be a fullback, i know hes too tall, but who knows
nerd.gif
dude's an athletic phenom..

and i KNOW we didn't just spend a high first rounder on a fullback...
tired.gif

if anything, move delanie walker to fullback. dude has speed and looks like a bruiser out there.

The 49ers list of opponents is as follows for 2009:

Home: Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Atlanta Falcons, Jacksonville Jaguards, Tennessee Titans

Away: Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts

I agree that we should keep Martz for at least 1 more season.

If Singletary decides to give MM the axe who would you guys like to replace him?

Could revolving door at OC doom 49ers' playoff dreams?

Posted by Dan Brown on December 29th, 2008 at 1:29 pm | Categorized as Uncategorized

The 49ers acted swiftly in naming Mike Singletary as coach, but there was still plenty of uncertainty Monday as players packed their belongings and headed into the offseason.

Shaun Hill, for example, had no idea whether he would return to the starting job. And, even if he did, there was no assurance that Mike Martz would still be calling the plays.

"I don't know what to think, to be honest with you. I really don't,'' Hill said. "Whatever they tell me is going on, that's what I'll take."

With Martz's return in question, players were bracing for the possibility of learning yet another offensive system. It would mean seven offensive coordinators in seven years, a cast that has included Greg Knapp, Ted Tollner, Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, Jim Hostler and Martz.

Are they ready for lucky No. 7?

"I like Coach Martz. I think he did a pretty good job,'' running back Frank Gore said. "The season just didn't go right. I feel like we're the ones on the field making mistakes. I guess this week we'll find out if he'll be there or not."

The revolving door at offensive coordinator is a problem (just ask Alex Smith) but how big a setback is it?

For one measure, I looked up the tenure of the offensive coordinators on the playoff teams. Do good teams have continuity in their play-calling? How long does it take for a unit to come together?

Here's the breakdown of how long each offensive coordinator in the postseason has been in his current role (listed in order of tenure):

AFC
Indianapolis: Tom Moore, 11th season
San Diego: Clarence Shelmon, second season (seventh with team overall)
Pittsburgh: Bruce Arians, second season (fifth with team overall)
Baltimore: Cam Cameron, first season
Miami: Dan Henning, first season
Tennessee: Mike Heimerdinger, first season*

NFC
Philadelphia: Marty Mornhinweg, sixth season
Minnesota: Darrell Bevell, third season
N.Y. Giants: Kevin Gilbride, second season (fifth with team overall)
Carolina: Jeff Davidson, second season
Arizona: Todd Haley, second season
Atlanta: Mike Mularkey, first season

* Heimerdinger returned to the role after serving as the Titans offensive coordinator from 2000-04.

Of the 12 teams to qualify for the postseason, four had coordinators in their first year in the job or back on the job: Cameron, Mularkey, Henning and Heimerdinger. Each of those coordinators also had the addition challenge of working in new starting quarterback - Joe Flacco (Ravens), Matt Ryan (Falcons), Chad Pennington (Dolphins) and Kerry Collins (Titans).

Of the 12 playoff teams, only three have held on to their coordinator for at least three years: Moore, Mornhinweg and Bevell.

Martz's departure, of course, could be extra tricky. His schemes are so different from other systems that the 49ers would in many ways be starting from scratch. There is also the potential matter of a new starting quarter

"I feel like if somebody else comes in, we're going to learn the next system just as good,'' receiver Josh Morgan said. "That's our job to go out and execute."

The 49ers own the No. 10 overall pick in the April draft. Their picks in each round will rotate from Nos. 10 to 11 through the seven rounds. (They'll pick 10th in the odd-numbered rounds, and 11th in the even-numbered rounds.) In addition, they're expecting two compensatory picks.

So whom do the 49ers select with the 10[sup]th[/sup] selection? My answer: The best player available.

Here is what other teams have done with the No. 10 pick in the past 10 years:

2008 Patriots, LB Jerod Mayo

2007 Texans, DT Amobi Okoye

2006 Cardinals, QB Matt Leinart

2005 Lions, WR Mike Williams

2004 Texans, CB Dunta Robinson

2003 Ravens, DE Terrell Suggs

2002 Bengals, OT Levi Jones

2001 Packers, DE Jamal Reynolds

2000 Ravens, WR Travis Taylor

1999 Ravens, CB Chris McAlister

The 49ers have used the No. 10 overall pick five times in franchise history. With that selection, they have chosen: WR J.J. Stokes (1995), DT Jimmy Webb (1975), DT Bill Standifer (1974), B Dickie Moegle (1955) and E Tom Stolhanske (1953).

2009 FIRST ROUND DRAFT ORDER

1, Lions

2, Rams

3, Chiefs

4, Seahawks

5, Browns

6, Bengals

7, Raiders

8, Jaguars

9, Packers

10, 49ERS

11, Bills

12, Broncos

13, ********

14, Saints

15, Texans

16, Chargers*

17, Jets

18, Bears

19, Buccaneers

20, Lions (from Cowboys)

21, Cardinals*

22, Eagles*

23, Vikings*

24, Patriots

25, Falcons*

26, Dolphins*

27, Ravens*

28, Eagles (from Panthers)*

29, Colts*

30, Giants*

31, Steelers*

32, Titans*

*-Subject to playoffs

damn i wasn't expecting 10th
sick.gif
but theres always plenty of gems.

The announced the signings of four practice-squad players to contracts for the 2009 season: WR Mark Bradford, T Joe Toledo, LB Justin Roland and TE J.J. Finley.

As far as I've been able to gather, offensive coordinator Mike Martz's status with the 49ers remains in limbo. Nothing has happened today.

This might end up being the biggest decision of Mike Singletary's coaching career. An offensive coordinator can make a huge difference in a head coach's success - or lack thereof. So this decision is taking a lot of thought and deliberation.

I'm getting the feeling that this is not a fait accompli. (I was never able to confirm the initial report last week that Singletary had already decided to fire Martz.) It very well might be that Martz is let go, but it's not going to happen without a lot of discussion and angst.

Singletary has contractual power to hire and fire his assistants. If he wants Martz on his staff, Martz will be back. And if Martz is not back, the pressure is on Singletary to find someone who is better.

Singletary did not have his season-ending press conference today. It might be held Wednesday afternoon, which would seem to suggest he wants more time to arrive at his final decision.

Also, as reported, Singletary's contract is a four-year, $10 million deal. There is also a fifth year on the contract - an option year that is at the club's discretion.

#%@. im probably late, but vd was named an alternate to the pro bowl??
laugh.gif
roll.gif

3rd alternate pro bowl blocker. lol

For the second straight season, Patrick Willis will represent the NFC in the Pro Bowl, the team announced this afternoon. Willis could possibly have company inHonolulu. Return man Allen Rossum was named a second alternate, Michael Robinson was named a second alternate for specialteams, Vernon Davis was named a third alternate at tight end and Andy Lee is a third alternate at punter.

Perhaps the most surprising selection is Davis, who is behind Dallas' Jason Witten, Washington's Chris Cooley and twoother tight ends on the NFC depth chart despite a relatively small number of receptions this season. His selection can be interpreted two ways: One, thatnational notoriety is not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to Pro Bowl voting. Or two, that blocking prowess may not be as underrated as previouslythought. Davis likely received support from the defensive players who have gone up against him. New York's Kevin Boss and Chicago'sGreg Olsen also were ahead of Davis in Pro Bowl voting.

3d535d4e4865a33d421dde53b04a62f961c92a5.jpg

this season was kinda fun, but i don't see the niners improving next year as long as hill is qb and our safeties are poor...

well i guess hill is okay if he can just stay consistent and the o line can keep him upright. we need a #1 receiver, a better pass rush would be nice, anddefinitely some work in the secondary

damn, 10th? i thought we'd be higher than that.
laugh.gif

I would def. like them to retool the secondary and get a DT. A true #1 WR would be nice, but that's not as high on my list as the other two. I like whatmorgan, hill, and bruce* brings to this team.

i hope the way we finished the season isn't fools gold again....

* if he comes back next year.

Originally Posted by vietsta4o8

#%@. im probably late, but vd was named an alternate to the pro bowl??
laugh.gif
roll.gif

3rd alternate pro bowl blocker. lol

For the second straight season, Patrick Willis will represent the NFC in the Pro Bowl, the team announced this afternoon. Willis could possibly have company in Honolulu. Return man Allen Rossum was named a second alternate, Michael Robinson was named a second alternate for special teams, Vernon Davis was named a third alternate at tight end and Andy Lee is a third alternate at punter.

Perhaps the most surprising selection is Davis, who is behind Dallas' Jason Witten, Washington's Chris Cooley and two other tight ends on the NFC depth chart despite a relatively small number of receptions this season. His selection can be interpreted two ways: One, that national notoriety is not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to Pro Bowl voting. Or two, that blocking prowess may not be as underrated as previously thought. Davis likely received support from the defensive players who have gone up against him. New York's Kevin Boss and Chicago's Greg Olsen also were ahead of Davis in Pro Bowl voting.

3d535d4e4865a33d421dde53b04a62f961c92a5.jpg

$*%% yes, hopefully he will stay in SF now, just maybe he will use this as a stepping stone just like Asomugha did before his 1st pro bowl.

Well this season finished better than i thought... Last 5 games we were 4-1, which is good... Like somebody else said I would like to see Shaun Hill play afull season, I think he has the potential... With the looks of the 2009 schedule it seems like I wont be able to make any games, unless I travel out to SF,which Im trying to plan... Hopefully draft day is good for us
pimp.gif

We got to keep Mike Martz as far as I'm concerned. Also, good job by VD for being named to the Pro-Bowl.

[h1]Quarterback Hill gets no assurances on future with 49ers[/h1]
Associated Press

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The 49ers secured the future of coach Mike Singletary with a dramatic postgame flourish. A day later, the quarterback just as responsible for San Francisco's late-season turnaround still didn't know what his own future holds.

Shaun Hill left the team's training complex Monday with no idea whether the 49ers (7-9) expect him to return to the starting job after he led the club to five wins in its final seven games. Singletary promoted Hill at midseason, and the veteran backup was among the NFL's most efficient passers during the surge.

"I don't know what to think, I really don't," said Hill, who's 7-3 as a starter over the last two seasons, including 5-0 at Candlestick Park. "You never really know what the perception is, and that's not for me to decide. I feel like I definitely played hard. Sometimes it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be, but I feel like everyone in this league ... has those moments."

General manager Scot McCloughan was cagey Sunday when asked about Hill, praising his winning percentage as a starter and noting he's under contract for next year.

Even with the uncertainty at their most important position, the 49ers (7-9) were still basking Monday in the excitement of their big finish despite their sixth consecutive losing season. Retaining Singletary was an easy choice for president Jed York and McCloughan, who made the call on their inspirational coach earlier in the week.

"He told us, 'This is the last year we're going to go home early, so be ready for that,"' said running back Frank Gore, who earned his club-record third straight 1,000-yard rushing season Sunday despite a sprained ankle.

Many tougher decisions will come in the next few months, from deciding on an offensive coordinator and a quarterback to navigating the draft and free agency. San Francisco also must decide what to do with Alex Smith, who missed the season on injured reserve.

The 49ers' most prominent free agents are linebacker Takeo Spikes and receiver Bryant Johnson, two veterans who signed one-year deals to prove their worth after failing to get long-term, big-money deals elsewhere. Both played well in San Francisco, but while rookie Josh Morgan's emergence might lead to Johnson's departure, Spikes still fills a need with the Niners -- and he's eager to return.

"It's not like we need a lot," Spikes said. "I feel like this is home, and I feel there is unfinished business."

Spikes has played in Cincinnati, Buffalo and Philadelphia during his career, but he had only positive words about the club he joined in August.

"I would have regrets about leaving this team," he said.

McCloughan has said Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, wouldn't be back under the terms of his current contract, but Smith recently said he'd be willing to adjust his deal to stay with the club. It's still far too early to know whether such an adjustment is possible, or whether Smith would be allowed to compete with Hill or another quarterback for the starting job.

Most of those answers won't be known until the 49ers decide what to do about Mike Martz, the coordinator who resuscitated San Francisco's offense this season. Aside from Gore's solid season and Hill's remarkable late-season performances, Isaac Bruce had 835 yards receiving, the most by a San Francisco pass-catcher since Terrell Owens had 1,102 in 2003.

The 49ers scored 339 points this season after managing just 219 last year, also racking up nearly 74 more offensive yards per game. San Francisco had 35 turnovers, nearly the same number as last season, and the quarterbacks were sacked 55 times.

Singletary, Martz and McCloughan all have downplayed any notions of tension between the two coaches, with McCloughan insisting that Martz greatly aided Singletary's transition. Still, Singletary and McCloughan have refused to back Martz's return next year, which could mean San Francisco will have its seventh offensive coordinator in seven seasons.

Martz is a passing-game specialist, and Singletary prefers a lower-key running attack. Martz's agent, who also represents Singletary, would like to see Martz as a candidate for the coaching job across the Bay in Oakland.

Next season already has begun in the minds of some players who are secure in their spots. Linebacker Patrick Willis, who's headed to his second Pro Bowl in a few weeks, went through his usual morning workout before packing up his locker for the winter.

"It's going to be a lot of fun being a part of this organization as we go through 2009," said kicker Joe Nedney, whose field goal as time expired beat the ********. "There's going to be a buzz right from the start."

looks like its gonna be another OC...

the instability with the direction of the 49ers' offense continues

ADAM SCHEFTER
Martz looking for work again
Posted: December 30th, 2008 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Mike Martz, Mike Singletary, San Francisco 49ers

San Francisco brought back coach Mike Singletary, but it decided Tuesday not to retain offensive coordinator Mike Martz, a league source said.

The two sides - the 49ers and Martz - met Tuesday morning to finalize the arrangement that many expected. They still were finalizing it Tuesday afternoon as another league source said it was "99.9 percent" certain that Martz would be gone. It's not that Singletary didn't like Martz; he did. Others within the organization did not want Martz to coach San Francisco's offense moving forward.

Now Martz is on the street again, for the second straight year. Last year, he and Detroit parted ways, and now he and San Francisco have done the same.

Hopefully Singletary acts swiftly and gets a new OC soon. I don't want to end up with a last minute OC replacement like Hostler.

As soon as it feels like we take 1 step forward, we then take 2 steps backwards.

I hope we don't end up with an offense that Hostler put out on the field.
sick.gif

Well at least the article stated that Singletary wanted to keep Martz, but he was overuled by the front office, SMH. Yet another OC for the offense to get useto, just sad.

Back
Top Bottom