***Official Political Discussion Thread***

The comparison between Bernie's most hardcore supporters and the MAGA crowd is not off base imo.

If that is too harsh for people to handle. Then Ron Paul is a good comparison too.

Except that one side wants to lock babies up in cages and create a theocracy. The other side, doesn't want to lock up babies and seeks, uncompromisingly, social democracy.

One of these things is not like the others.

my only issue with Bernie bros is their readiness to take their ball and go home if they don’t get their way

whoever the nominee is should get everyone all the way in

especially when who knows what the stupidity will be this go around cause #neverforget harambe got over 15000 votes

Except that one side wants to lock babies up in cages and create a theocracy. The other side, doesn't want to lock up babies and seeks, uncompromisingly, social democracy.

One of these things is not like the others.
No one is making the argument that Bernie supporters want a level of cruelty like Trump supporters.

People are saying when it comes to rabid commitment to the person, there are similarities. There are other similarities with online discourse too. I mean just looking at yesterday should illuminate the point. Hillary Clinton says something critical of Bernie, and Bernie world goes nuts. Kinda like how MAGA world goes nuts when she shaded Trump.

And it must be repeated. People only take issue with a subclass of Bernie supporters, not the entire coalition. And clearly the rot is much more pervasive in the MAGA Klan.

It would be like someone saying Drake stans are just as rabid and Taylor Shift stans. And you pushing back with they don't like the same genre of music, so they are not a like.

The key comparison is not being made on musical taste, or preferred politicial ideology.

Petulance for a good cause is still petulance. It may be less offensive than petulance for a vile cause, but again, still petulance.

Last edited:
No one is making the argument that Bernie supporters want a level of cruelty like Trump supporters.

People are saying when it comes to rabbit commitment to the person, there are similarities. There are other similarities with online discourse too. I mean just looking at yesterday should illuminate the point. Hillary Clinton says something critical of Bernie, and Bernie world goes nuts. Kinda like how MAGA world goes nuts when she shaded Trump.

And it must be repeated. People only take issue with a subclass of Bernie supporters, not the entire coalition. And clearly the rot is much more pervasive in the MAGA Klan.

It would be like someone saying Drake stans are just as rabbit and Taylor Shift stans. And you pushing back with they don't like the same genre of music, so they are not a like.

The key comparison is not being made on musical taste, or preferred politicial ideology.

Petulance for a good cause is still petulance. It may be less offensive than petulance for a vile cause, but again, still petulance.

I largely agree with you. Peep the edits to my earlier response to M Mark Antony about the cult of personality as a 20th-21st century phenomena.

And at the same time, I see a fundamental difference between online harassment among Sanders supporters and the hardcore of the MAGA crowd who would mail bombs to elected representatives. The propensity to physical violence is what separates the latter from the former.

America's hardest places to grow up

In a new report, researchers at Brandeis University used several factors — such as poverty rate, employment statistics and acres of green space — to assign opportunity scores (ranging from 1 to 100) to all 72,000 neighborhoods in the country.
  • The hardest place to grow up is Bakersfield, California, where more than half of residents under 18 live in low-opportunity neighborhoods. The best is Madison, Wisconsin.
  • Cities in the South generally have lower scores than those in the Northeast.
  • Of the close to 10 million kids living in low opportunity neighborhoods, 4.5 million are Hispanic and 3.6 million are black.

I largely agree with you. Peep the edits to my earlier response to M Mark Antony about the cult of personality as a 20th-21st century phenomena.

And at the same time, I see a fundamental difference between online harassment among Sanders supporters and the hardcore of the MAGA crowd who would mail bombs to elected representatives. The propensity to physical violence is what separates the latter from the former.
Yes of course. Trump's coalition is much more prone to violence and way more dangerous. No questionn.There are legit white supremacists and domestic terrorist that want to keep it MAGA at all cost.

However, since you opened the door, I must point out that there is a tiny hole in your argument...
https://www.npr.org/2017/06/14/5329...-shooter-violence-of-any-kind-is-unacceptable

:lol: :lol:

I can't tell if the questions about why Sanders could beat Trump in 2020 when he lost to Clinton in the 2016 primary and then she lost to Trump in the 2016 general are serious or not. But assuming that they are serious, here are a few reasons off the top of my head where Bernie in 2020 clearly contrasts favorably with Clinton in 2016:
  • Bernie is one of the most well-liked political figures in the country and one of the least disliked. The opposite was true of Hillary.
  • Bernie has been perhaps the most consistent national political figure in terms of his politics over the course of decades. There's been remarkably little rhetorical or substantive policy flip-flopping that an opponent might exploit. Hillary was basically the opposite of that.
  • Bernie's platform is clearly and very firmly grounded in his political consistency. There's no reason to distrust his platform or his commitment to it. Hillary faced the opposite problem.
I could go on. This is also to say nothing of things that may not have been directly in Clinton's "control," like Bernie's not being subject to an open federal investigation like Clinton was, Bernie not having a spouse whose presidency is now rightfully seen as disastrous for working people especially people of color, etc.

As to why Bernie lost the 2016 primary to Clinton, I listed a half-dozen or so reasons in my posts yesterday. On the most basic level, hopefully everyone understands that a primary is different from a general election, that 2020 is different than 2016, that starting from scratch in terms of national name recognition is different than having four years under your belt, and that the specific candidate match-ups in an election helps shape the outcome.

To be clear, there's no guarantee he would have won the 2016 general election, and there's no guarantee he'll win the 2020 general if he gets the nomination. But I like his chances, especially since the other front-runner, Joe Biden, is a walking ******* disaster on nearly every conceivable level.

Why do you quote me every time her name gets mentioned, my g?

Is this stemming from Clinton’s boneheaded assertions on her?

Other than that, I said I agree w/ her foreign policy... is that why she’s “my girl”? Because I agree w/ her on one facet?
Because you have her main defender.

I can't tell if the questions about why Sanders could beat Trump in 2020 when he lost to Clinton in the 2016 primary and then she lost to Trump in the 2016 general are serious or not. But assuming that they are serious, here are a few reasons off the top of my head where Bernie in 2020 clearly contrasts favorably with Clinton in 2016:
  • Bernie is one of the most well-liked political figures in the country and one of the least disliked. The opposite was true of Hillary.
  • Bernie has been perhaps the most consistent national political figure in terms of his politics over the course of decades. There's been remarkably little rhetorical or substantive policy flip-flopping that an opponent might exploit. Hillary was basically the opposite of that.
  • Bernie's platform is clearly and very firmly grounded in his political consistency. There's no reason to distrust his platform or his commitment to it. Hillary faced the opposite problem.
I could go on. This is also to say nothing of things that may not have been directly in Clinton's "control," like Bernie's not being subject to an open federal investigation like Clinton was, Bernie not having a spouse whose presidency is now rightfully seen as disastrous for working people especially people of color, etc.

As to why Bernie lost the 2016 primary to Clinton, I listed a half-dozen or so reasons in my posts yesterday. On the most basic level, hopefully everyone understands that a primary is different from a general election, that 2020 is different than 2016, that starting from scratch in terms of national name recognition is different than having four years under your belt, and that the specific candidate match-ups in an election helps shape the outcome.

To be clear, there's no guarantee he would have won the 2016 general election, and there's no guarantee he'll win the 2020 general if he gets the nomination. But I like his chances, especially since the other front-runner, Joe Biden, is a walking ****ing disaster on nearly every conceivable level.
My comments were more to attacking the assertions of Clinton's incompetence.

Not like it is impossible to defeat Hillary in a primary.

So if she is so incompetent, why put our faith in a guy that could not beat her. Especially since his own incompetence was one of the reasons he got washed.

That is why I followed up asking if you Bernie supporters would be ok with Russian interference and a Comey level bomb at the last minute. If campaigning more in the Midwest would make such a difference.

Secondly, you can point to all the things working against Bernie, but there were things working for him. Because the field was so thin, the entire "not Clinton" coalition lined up behind him because there was no other decent choice. All the media coverage that would go to non Clinton primary challengers just went to him.

Clinton treated him with kid gloves as to not try to piss off his hardcore supporters.

Sure what Bernie did was impressive on some level. But on another level, it really isn't.

Of course there is a case for case to be the nominee, however I just don't find it as compelling as his supporters think it is.

Like when Bernie says **** like he is gonna flip Mississippi and the rest of the deep South, by flipping white GOP voters, I'm I really suppose to take that **** seriously?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom