***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I haven’t read anything yet, but this is what I don’t understand. Why drop out two days before Super Tuesday? Why not just let things play out on Tuesday and assess your campaign at that point? What’s the upside of pulling out before then?
either made a deal or some higher figures in the party asked him to drop out.

Nobody said nothing about being “dead in the water” or anything of the sort. Stay focused champ. However black people (rather People Of Color as @rolaholic would say) nationwide just not in South Carolina from a majority standpoint do not support Bernie Sanders. Bless your heart if you think otherwise.

Umm... Black folks aren’t a monolith man.

I haven’t read anything yet, but this is what I don’t understand. Why drop out two days before Super Tuesday? Why not just let things play out on Tuesday and assess your campaign at that point? What’s the upside of pulling out before then?

it helps guys like Biden ..... I will say that

BLM just shut down one of Amy's events...

I don’t like Klobuchar, but she was basically like any other prosecutor in an urban district back in the 1990s and early 2000s: prosecuted tons of poor and working-class people—especially young black men—mostly for petty ****, pursued convictions in high-profile cases using dubious tactics, gave local police departments carte blanche to brutalize people and violate investigatory ethics, etc.

So I’m not mad at the BLM folks for shutting her down. I’m just saying she’s pretty much par for the course for urban prosecutors on the 1990s and early 2000s. Which, to atlsfinest atlsfinest point from the other day, may pretty much preclude the ability to run for president on the Democratic side of the street at this point.

As a Minneapolis native who was in high school during the Myon Burrell case and was embroiled in the local hood politics of that era, I have my own thoughts on that particular case which I’ll share tomorrow since it’s a little too much to get into tonight.

I don’t like Klobuchar, but she was basically like any other prosecutor in an urban district back in the 1990s and early 2000s: prosecuted tons of poor and working-class people—especially young black men—mostly for petty ****, pursued convictions in high-profile cases using dubious tactics, gave local police departments carte blanche to brutalize people and violate investigatory ethics, etc.

So I’m not mad at the BLM folks for shutting her down. I’m just saying she’s pretty much par for the course for urban prosecutors on the 1990s and early 2000s. Which, to atlsfinest atlsfinest point from the other day, may pretty much preclude the ability to run for president on the Democratic side of the street at this point.

As a Minneapolis native who was in high school during the Myon Burrell case and was embroiled in the local hood politics of that era, I have my own thoughts on that particular case which I’ll share tomorrow since it’s a little too much to get into tonight.

My question to the BLM crowd is this: "you guys have ripped Kamala's and Amy's records apart, can you name me a single prosecutor or district attorney (any state, any county, any district) who you approve of?"

I bet you you would get a blank stare.

My question to the BLM crowd is this: "you guys have ripped Kamala's and Amy's records apart, can you name me a single prosecutor or district attorney (any state, any county, any district) who you approve of?"

:lol:

Those two are the only "prosecutor or district attorney (any state, any county, any district) who" decided to run for President of the United States in 2020.

The difference between Kamala and Amy is that Kamala kinda saw the error or her ways.

She had good ideas to reform the criminal justice system, even addressing the issue with prosecutors overcharging individuals.

I am all for everyone's card being pulled, but the race is gonna come down to two old white dudes that have trash records (to different degrees) on criminal justice. And they hardly have had to answer for their actions. Instead they get a pass while peddling ******** excuses.

This is the problem when your movement has no rudder and very little in terms of actual mass organization—protest becomes the end itself instead of the means to an end.

Also damn-near anyone can do anything in the name of the “movement” or “organization” with little to no accountability or strategic consideration beyond reacting to the moment at hand.

The potential for such a movement to actually win meaningful political victories is going to be quite limited, to say the least.

:lol:

Those two are the only "prosecutor or district attorney (any state, any county, any district) who" decided to run for President of the United States in 2020.

I understand that, my point is that you can pick apart the record of literally any DA or AG across the country if you look hard enough (although some have worse records than others obviously).

I'm asking a general question to the BLM crowd: in your view, is there a single district attorney or attorney general doing a good job in this country where is every single one of them awful and unqualified to run for president? Would you vote for any AG or former DA?

The difference between Kamala and Amy is that Kamala kinda saw the error or her ways.

She had good ideas to reform the criminal justice system, even addressing the issue with prosecutors overcharging individuals.

I am all for everyone's card being pulled, but the race is gonna come down to two old white dudes that have trash records (to different degrees) on criminal justice. And they hardly have had to answer for their actions. Instead they get a pass while peddling bull**** excuses.
Or she’s a politician who found herself in a very different political moment and understood it was to her advantage to “see the error of her ways.” I mean, her record is pretty bad, even by the standards of urban prosecutors. Not that she can’t change her views, but when changes in those views—backed up by an extensive record of action—happen to coincide with emergent political expedience, it gives me some pause.

Amy has gotten a relative pass to this point because no one knows who she is or gives a damn and she was never gonna vie for black votes anyway. But don’t you think it’s natural that former urban prosecutors would get more scrutiny in this arena, given the function of their job? Though it is curious to me that Biden hasn’t received more blowback thus far given his record—nor did Hillary in 2016, when she got the endorsement of a bunch of BLM operatives despite her own dubious track record. Bernie’s hands aren’t entirely clean, either, though they’re nowhere as dirty as Kamala’s, Amy’s, Biden’s, or Bloomberg’s.

So yeah, I’m also for everyone’s card being pulled, to the extent commensurate with their respective records.

Since so many people on the left were complicit in creating the system we have now, i would hope we could have a more constructive conversation about the politics of criminal justice in America and on the left. Instead we got hand waving and bull**** like "Kamala is a cop"
Just to clarify, who are all of these people on the left (1) who were complicit in creating the current system, and (2) who don’t want to have a more constructive conversation about the politics of criminal justice?

Or she’s a politician who found herself in a very different political moment and understood it was to her advantage to “see the error of her ways.” I mean, her record is pretty bad, even by the standards of urban prosecutors. Not that she can’t change her views, but when changes in those views—backed up by an extensive record of action—happen to coincide with emergent political expedience, it gives me some pause.

Amy has gotten a relative pass to this point because no one knows who she is or gives a damn and she was never gonna vie for black votes anyway. But don’t you think it’s natural that former urban prosecutors would get more scrutiny in this arena, given the function of their job? Though it is curious to me that Biden hasn’t received more blowback thus far given his record—nor did Hillary in 2016, when she got the endorsement of a bunch of BLM operatives despite her own dubious track record. Bernie’s hands aren’t entirely clean, either, though they’re nowhere as dirty as Kamala’s, Amy’s, Biden’s, or Bloomberg’s.

So yeah, I’m also for everyone’s card being pulled, to the extent commensurate with their respective records.
-I was referring to the fact she actually has been an advocate for criminal justice reform in her time in the Senate. Her criminal justice plan has a ton of great forward thinking ideas and she discussed them even before the whole thing about he record came to light. Maybe it was a poor choice of words but Kamala Harris still tries to slick defend her record, but she at least seemed committed to policy changes.

-Sure, it was a big part of Amy's career so of course it would get scrutiny.

-in 2016 Hillary rightfully had to answer questions about a super predator comments, and BLM ran up on her too. However, she was the only major candidate on the Dem side that made criminal justice reform a major issue for her campaign. Every candidate had dirt on him, Clinton seemingly was the only one that tried to get ahead of things. Sanders and O'Malley seemed to sit on their hands regarding the issue at the beginning of the campaign. Hillary was the least **** out of the bunch by the looks of it.

-Bernie Sanders expressed some racist ******** in regards to crime in the black community up until his run started in 2015. Even after announcing he ignored the issue of criminal justice reform for months and months. BLM ran up on his *** twice. Hell while Biden was pushing **** in the Senate to undo some of the damage, Sanders ignored the problems in his own state. We can debate about who is worst, because some are clearly worse than others, (Bloomberg and Biden being the worst offenders) but Sanders record is trash. No one takes him to task for it, especially not his supporters in media.

Bernie full throated embrace of criminal justice reforms seems to be somewhat born out of the same political expediency we see from other candidates. Hillary cooked his *** over his gun control votes, now he is supposedly the NRA's worst nightmare on the left. But just like Harris, to his credit he has improved greatly in these areas.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, who are all of these people on the left (1) who were complicit in creating the current system, and (2) who don’t want to have a more constructive conversation about the politics of criminal justice?
-The same characters you listed. Biden, Bloomberg, Harris, Amy, Sanders, etc. You touch it you own it.

-Bernie supporters in the media. The fact people actually just accept and defend Bernie's BS defense of his Crime Bill vote is ridiculous to me.

-I am not even saying people are not redeemable for their past mistakes because the Tough on Crime views was rampant in this country, including the black community. But I hate when people want to selectively take folk to task. Harris was the only person to really checking Biden, yet Biden skates by for his trash record, and Harris get squeezed out the paint? C'mon ******* on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom