***Official Political Discussion Thread***

The concept of tv ads like those is still strange to me, especially considering it's barely been 100 days. Over here you never really see political ads on tv outside of campaign season, and even then you can easily miss them. And the campaign time is pretty short, usually around 1 month. Our campaign finance system has a number of restrictions on advertising and the parties have to rely on government funding and party members' membership fees. Donations, or gift payments as they are referred to here, also have a lot of restrictions and as a result only make up a tiny percentage of party funding. Less than 5%.

A member of a political party can only receive €500 annually from the same individual, however that can be bypassed by donating to various individuals or departments of the party. Donating to a party has an annual limit of €2000 per individual, so you can give the maximum of €500 to 4 different party candidates. Every person donating more than €125 must be electronically registered by the party and forwarded to the parliamentary party financing committee.

Those regulations do a good job of preventing massive donations from corporations, wealthy individuals, ... and limiting that revenue to only make up a tiny percentage of the parties' funding.

Doesn't stop most of our government from being corporate shills as there are plenty of others ways to personally enrich yourself as a politician but it would be a whole lot worse without those funding restrictions. A common example of enriching yourself is that many politicians are hired as "consultants" for companies like Telenet, our largest internet provider, ... Then the politicians get paid large bonuses in "consulting fees" that can range up to thousands of euros for a single meeting. Nobody really knows what exactly they discuss in there but a while back the press released info on a lot of politicians' obscene consultant fees. It showed that that problem is nationwide and a huge amount of politicians partake in it.

Last edited:
Libbies just don't have a clue man. Da Don was using Da life of Andrew Jackson as an example of what type of person he is B. Study up on Da 44585747474D Candy Land that Da Don plays Libbies. You might learn something B.

Oh boy there's audio.
[QUOTE url="[URL]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump[/URL]"]
"Had Andrew Jackson been a little bit later, you wouldn’t have had the Civil War" @realDonaldTrump told @SalenaZito. Full intv at 2pE, Ch124 pic.twitter.com/d7PuRRm7Md
— SiriusXMPolitics (@SXMPolitics)

May 1, 2017

Interviewer should have said that Jackson died before the Civil War began. This is part of the problem too.

Gotta call the BS out.

When they do, he just ends the interview :lol:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/us/politics/trump-cbs-interview.html[/quote]

He spittin that alternative fax, B

I hate when people harp on about free speech like it means anyone can say anything, anywhere they want to, to whomever.

Free speech protects you from the government, not people and institutions who don't wanna hear what's coming out of your mouth.

If I'm a Dean or Principal and don't want someone to give a speech to my students I'm not infringing on their free speech.

If I have a podcast or show and rescind an invitation to someone, I'm not infringing on their free speech.

If I go to someone's house and call them a BAN and they kick me out they're not infringing on my free speech.

UC Berkeley, in no way at all has violated or threatened the authority of the first amendment, by telling Ann to kick rocks. 

Last edited:

I hate when people harp on about free speech like it means anyone can say anything, anywhere they want to, to whomever.

Free speech protects you from the government, not people and institutions who don't wanna hear what's coming out of your mouth.

If I'm a Dean or Principal and don't want someone to give a speech to my students I'm not infringing on their free speech.

If I have a podcast or show and rescind an invitation to someone, I'm not infringing on their free speech.

If I go to someone's house and call them a BAN and they kick me out they're not infringing on my free speech.

UC Berkeley, in no way at all has violated or threatened the authority of the first amendment, by telling Ann to kick rocks. 
There's plenty of other universities that would these clowns speak, but they choose Berkeley because they see it as a low-hanging fruit for them given the school's longtime reputation.

They think freedom of speech means that there should be no consequences for the things they say

So this dude really is gearing himself up for a run in 2020 huh? :rolleyes

Not sure about you guys but I'm over billionaires throwing their hat in the ring with little to no public policy experience

Last edited:
I am not opposed to Zuck running for president one day, just not in 2020. He seems like a good enough dude that wants to make a positive impact.

The thing is that in 2020 people might be looking for the anti-Trump. The candidate that is most unlike the sitting President always has an advantage because they can run on a "change" platform. Zuck's money and celebrity status will hurt him, especially among Dems.

Last edited:
I don't doubt his intentions might be noble but I think dudes should hold off on electing another inexperienced billionaire just cause for a bit.

In a few ways,he kinda is an anti-Trump Billionaire given what he stands for but there needs to be a 2020 nominee who can govern diligently and would be able to clean up a lot of the orange mess that'll be left behind. Can't have another Commander in Chief learning all of the complexities and the machinations of the job on the spot again...

Granted,I'm 200% sure that Zuck would do his homework infinite times better and more thoroughly than tiny hands :lol:

Last edited:
Good lord if that dude runs.. then you possibly add Cuban to the mix

Going be a shh show

Jimmy Dore is probably the lunatic progressive in its final form.

I watched dude show about him ranting Obama and the money, and I have caught snippets before, dude seriously argues that no politicians has sold out black people more than Obama and that Obama's civil rights record means little because of a) Flint and b) he didn't support Bernie (who is the politicians that would help black people the most)

Cheetolini wants to restore Glass-Steagall?!?

https://media.giphy.com/media/CDJo4EgHwbaPS/giphy.gif[/quote]

:lol
that would be the first good move made[/quote]

Agreed just surprised as hell :lol,came straight out of left field.

I'll believe it when I see it but man,I won't ever be able to get over the irony if tiny appendages ends up being the president to break up the big banks :lol

Wait people actually take Jimmy Dore seriously? :lol:
Guy is like a "liberal" Rush Limbaugh

Back
Top Bottom