***Official Political Discussion Thread***

With how much of a **** show the US has been with COVID, I think he’s done an ok job. He really didn’t help himself by being at that party. Religious people have been pissed, though.

That’s the issue. If you are going to tell people to do something, abide by those same ideas, don’t be a hypocrite. If we as left leaning people want to tell people what to do, we need to live and do the same we preach. Because we will be crucified if we are hypocritical.

To me, his going to the fanciest restaurant in the world during a lockdown is more than just a bad look, it’s harmful. Law enforcement in CA is, correctly in this case, not handing out lots of tickets to individuals who don’t abide by State lockdown guidelines. That’s good since this is a health crisis and should not be handled like a criminal-legal matter. The downside of that is that these lockdown guidelines rely entirely upon their perception of legitimacy and having the Governor, who issued those orders, flouting these orders will cause people, on the margin, to not follow those orders and more people will die. The conservatives, who go to anti-mask rallies or illegal mega church rallies, wouldn’t be swayed but plenty of people, who don’t have major ideological commitments have gone to small gatherings and met friend for outdoor dining and of that, cumulatively, makes the death toll rise.

As far as the recall goes, it’s a right wing gambit. Even if they get enough signatures to proceed it’s unlikely that the “yes” will clear 50% in a special election. Moreover, there’s not a moderate already popular-to-non-political-people Republican candidate, who could play the role that Arnold Schwarzenegger played in 2003. Since the right wing won’t gain anything, I hope this recall process advances to the special election phase. It’ll be like 2003 but better in that basically anyone can concurrently run for Governor and hundreds of cranks from across the Golden State will get their 15 seconds of fame.

With how much of a **** show the US has been with COVID, I think he’s done an ok job. He really didn’t help himself by being at that party. Religious people have been pissed, though.
I agree.
These folks really about to waste our time and make us vote, just for him to stay in office. I only see recall Newsom signs in orange county.

“Let these investigations go forward,” Rudy Giuliani told the presidential headquarters in Kyiv, Ukraine, his voice turning impatient. “Get someone to investigate this.” On the other end of the line, hunched over a speakerphone, two Ukrainian officials listened in disbelief as Giuliani demanded probes that could help his client, then-President Donald Trump, win another term in office.

The 40-minute call, a transcript of which was obtained by TIME, provides the clearest picture yet of Giuliani’s attempts to pressure the Ukrainians on Trump’s behalf. The President’s personal lawyer toggled between veiled threats—“Be careful,” he warned repeatedly—and promises to help improve Ukraine’s relations with Trump. “My only motive—it isn’t to get anybody in trouble who doesn’t deserve to be in trouble,” Giuliani said. “For our country’s sake and your country’s sake, we [need to] get all these facts straight,” he added. “We fix them and we put it behind us.”

The conversation on July 22, 2019, kicked off the campaign of intimidation that resulted in Trump’s first impeachment. For a year and half, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and his aides said little about their interactions with Giuliani, not wanting to anger an emissary of the U.S. President. But now, as the Trump era ends with a historic second impeachment trial, the Ukrainians have begun to speak up about the circumstances that led to the first. They are also taking steps that could imperil Giuliani and his Ukrainian allies.

Igor Novikov, who served as a close adviser to Zelensky during Trump’s first impeachment, says he is willing to assist an ongoing federal investigation of Giuliani that is reportedly underway in New York, as well as a separate effort to strip Giuliani of his license to practice law. Zelensky’s government has taken legal action against Giuliani’s Ukrainian associates. And they have opened up to the media about the pressure campaign mounted by Trump and his allies. On Feb. 3, Novikov sent TIME a transcript of the Giuliani call, whose accuracy TIME has independently verified.

Giuliani did not respond to a detailed list of questions about the transcript of his call with the Ukrainian officials, the Ukrainian support for his disbarment and the federal investigation.

I don’t even understand the angle of lying about the vaccination like that.

The states they cater to are operating like normal and think it's a hoax. To them, the vaccine is meaningless. Fox has to drive that point home.

That's certainly a strange experience, especially as a Ukrainian official who presumably doesn't know a whole lot about Rudy's background. He flies over there to incriminate Rudy ("there I am to give testimony against Giuliani"), or at best express his disdain, but there's pictures of Rudy hanging in the building.
440de0f6dbb5fb8c443c42aa82dc3191.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom