Official Pizza Appreciation!

I gotta try Margherita Pizza on the ave...hear good things. Gabby's isn't terrible in my opinion reason being they don't skimp on cheese & ingredients. You get what you pay for. Sauce isn't that sweet in comparison to Dani's in Metropolitan...now thats some sweet sauce and I love it lol. You ever hit up New Park Pizza in Howard Beach? Softest and delicious dough I've tried in a long time
Grabbed a couple slices from New Park Pizza on my way home from the US Open last year. Was really good.

As far as Sicilian slices go, I preferred Prince St to Spumoni Gardens.

Dani’s is good nice sweet sauce but always a line and you might be waiting a half hour plus.

Also New Park Pizza in Howard Beach on Crossbay BLVD. Lines aren’t that bad and they move quickly. Never really liked Howard Beach growing up so I grab and go.

There’s this other spot in Forest Hills around where I moved to I just tried out not too long ago that wasn’t that bad called D’Angelos on 108 street in Forest Hills.
Dani's always has a line lol. I guess it's set-up takeout style. If they had more space in the entrance it would def help. New Park was dope...one of the best doughs I've ever had. What's the wait like for D'Angelos?

Go to Di Fara.

Don’t listen to the people saying it is overrated. It is a piece of American pizza history. Take the subway out to Midwood. Wait in line for an hour. Order the square pie with sausage and a slice of the round pie (just to say you tried it). Wait for your pizza for an hour. Enjoy one of the world’s greatest pizzas. Savor the crust for its complex of evoo, butter, and fire. Then go sit outside the public library while you prepare for the ride back to Manhattan. You won’t regret it.

Dom or no Dom, Avenue J is Mecca to pizza fans. It’s not trendy. It’s not fancy (more of a dump). But it is the pizza from which all of your future pizzas can be judged. Forget the haters. Find out for yourself.
I get why they are a piece of American pizza history & rightfully so. Absolutely no denying that. Dom was magic with his pizza, the man knew the business. However, at this point in time in my opinion it is no longer the legendary Di Fara's it once was. With Dom no longer running the show, that legendary taste/skill/perfection he bought is gone & will never be replicated. The kids don't care about the business half how Dom did. Agreed Avenue J is rich in its history to pizza fans and not fancy but saying Di Fara is still worth a train ride out or driving from any boroughs I think is nothing more than just holding onto nostalgia. Used to be one of the worlds greatest, def no longer is.

Might be some truth to this, and Di Fara is my #1 ever.

Last time I had it which was in December, the kids made it, and I agree it was pretty bad actually. The last time I had it before then was maybe June of last year? During that time he made my pizza, and it was still best in nyc. If its true he never makes the pizzas anymore, there may be truth to it being trash.
Exactly. Plenty of my friends rated it their #1 like you. I sincerely believe it was NYC's #1 during Dom's era, but sadly all great things come to an end. And that is true for Di Fara as well because Dom has hung up his apron.

Why'd you always steer clear of Howard Beach area? Genuinely curious
I had no business out there (knew nobody out there & had no particular reasoning for going out there) ....plus growing up everybody knew howard beach as a spot for racist italians (no black zone...even though in reality its some blacks out there) it was just a area alotta us just steered from....that area got its rep for several blacks getting whooped on out there during 90s by italians

I am mixed on Margherita. First , for Jamaica, its expensive, like nothing on Jamaica ave should be that expensive. Now, for a "non-gourmet" pizza, its one of the better ones. The problem really is, the insane amount of cheese. I only order whole pies, never slices, and after we eat a whole pie, you feel gross as hell with all that cheese. If they cut down the amount of cheese it could be it would be a great pie. Overall Id give it maybe a a 7 as it currently stands, if they reduced the cheese, it would be a 8.5 in my mind. It has potential for sure.
I hear ya, nothing on the ave. should be expensive. Agreed too much cheese could get overwhelming. A 7-8.5 is good enough for me to check it out.

New Park has a sweet sauce. It's a solid slice, just "out of the way" as far as location goes for most. Same can be argued for Di Fara because it's really just one train that goes in that area (otherwise ya need to drive) but it really is a classic spot that should be on any pizza fans must-go list.

Lucali tho :emoji_goat:

I had no business out there (knew nobody out there & had no particular reasoning for going out there) ....plus growing up everybody knew howard beach as a spot for racist italians (no black zone...even though in reality its some blacks out there) it was just a area alotta us just steered from....that area got its rep for several blacks getting whooped on out there during 90s by italians
I hear ya. The pizza shop was my 1st time actually hanging in the area. I've heard plenty of stories through my sis-in-law about the racism, seemed chill when we went couple months back but obviously that's way too small of a sample size to compare. Sad stuff man, why can't we all just get along?

I hear ya. The pizza shop was my 1st time actually hanging in the area. I've heard plenty of stories through my sis-in-law about the racism, seemed chill when we went couple months back but obviously that's way too small of a sample size to compare. Sad stuff man, why can't we all just get along?
I have no idea @get along comment

I guess you had to grow up in Queens or that part of Queens or just southside Queens.

I don't care how many different types of people I see living in Howard Beach these days it will always be the racist part that I remember growing up. A good few years ago I was giving my girl driving/parking lessons and we ended up out there around where the jogger girl got killed because it was a break from the normal Laurelton for us and it was spacious for her. I was surprised to see indian's, asians, blacks, punjabi's, etc. living around there my eyes almost rolled to my back of my head I was in such disbelief and some other's I knew I asked about it and they said it changed now and all the old racists moved or what not.

I never had good memories from out there when growing up it was always issues everytime we went there be it basketball, trying to fish, etc. Forget it if you were messing with one of those italian chicks oh man, problems and those bastards were hating hard. It was always tough though because just like towns in Long Island if you get into problems you're outnumbered, you're taking a L, they all roll deep, and they all band together when outsiders come around and there are issues. When cops roll around you're automatically at fault because you're looked at as if you shouldn't even be around those parts to begin with.

To this day I don't feel comfortable going to New Park Pizza because I feel they might spit in my food or something. I don't feel like that with coldstone right across the street though I guess because it's minorities in there serving you ice cream.

I guess it's being a minority be it black, brown, hispanic, asian whatever we see things differently compared to others and especially if we encountered racism. Some say oh you guys just make this stuff up in your head or you go looking to be singled out, but it's not man I/we just know about the BS from experience and we all deal with it in different ways.

Dani's always has a line lol. I guess it's set-up takeout style. If they had more space in the entrance it would def help. New Park was dope...one of the best doughs I've ever had. What's the wait like for D'Angelos?

Lines wasn't long for D'Angelos and to be honest there was no lines :lol:

Not saying it's top notch, but it was okay for around this area where I moved to coming from Jamaica Queens.

As someone not really familiar with NYC, Howard Beach seemed random as hell when I went through for New Park Pizza. Didn't seem like anything else I had seen on my trip.

I guess you had to grow up in Queens or that part of Queens or just southside Queens.

I don't care how many different types of people I see living in Howard Beach these days it will always be the racist part that I remember growing up. A good few years ago I was giving my girl driving/parking lessons and we ended up out there around where the jogger girl got killed because it was a break from the normal Laurelton for us and it was spacious for her. I was surprised to see indian's, asians, blacks, punjabi's, etc. living around there my eyes almost rolled to my back of my head I was in such disbelief and some other's I knew I asked about it and they said it changed now and all the old racists moved or what not.

I never had good memories from out there when growing up it was always issues everytime we went there be it basketball, trying to fish, etc. Forget it if you were messing with one of those italian chicks oh man, problems and those bastards were hating hard. It was always tough though because just like towns in Long Island if you get into problems you're outnumbered, you're taking a L, they all roll deep, and they all band together when outsiders come around and there are issues. When cops roll around you're automatically at fault because you're looked at as if you shouldn't even be around those parts to begin with.

To this day I don't feel comfortable going to New Park Pizza because I feel they might spit in my food or something. I don't feel like that with coldstone right across the street though I guess because it's minorities in there serving you ice cream.

I guess it's being a minority be it black, brown, hispanic, asian whatever we see things differently compared to others and especially if we encountered racism. Some say oh you guys just make this stuff up in your head or you go looking to be singled out, but it's not man I/we just know about the BS from experience and we all deal with it in different ways.
Yeah it's tough to get rid of the bad memories growing up. When I went to New Park I didn't see much diversity at all tbh. People just need any excuse to start beefing, sad thing man. If you got with one of their girls they straight up hate on ya. F em. Smh at some of them police officers. And definitely agree it's not just in your head. It needs to happen to yourself personally for anyone to understand.

As someone not really familiar with NYC, Howard Beach seemed random as hell when I went through for New Park Pizza. Didn't seem like anything else I had seen on my trip.
What did you see that made it seem random? I myself have only been through once or twice & agree its got weird vibes

I am mixed on Margherita. First , for Jamaica, its expensive, like nothing on Jamaica ave should be that expensive. Now, for a "non-gourmet" pizza, its one of the better ones. The problem really is, the insane amount of cheese. I only order whole pies, never slices, and after we eat a whole pie, you feel gross as hell with all that cheese. If they cut down the amount of cheese it could be it would be a great pie. Overall Id give it maybe a a 7 as it currently stands, if they reduced the cheese, it would be a 8.5 in my mind. It has potential for sure.
Ask for......light cheese.

Whenever I go sonewhere that serves Deep Dish, I ask for 50% of the cheese because I know it will be a sickening amount of it put on the pizza.

Last edited:
Has anyone been to Lucali's? Very curious your experience and if you thought it was worth the extensive wait. I've been twice, and both times it was well worth it.

Far rockaway (which is nearby howard beach) has strange vibes too idk whats sup with all that

Far Rockaway is a dump to be quite honest. It's close to HB, but certainly not walking distance.

I only go to far rockaway to drop someone off at the train. They used to have a white castle and kfc but those closed down. They have a little caeser's and someone recently brought one of their meat lover's pizzas over and I was surprised that it was actually kinda good.

What did you see that made it seem random? I myself have only been through once or twice & agree its got weird vibes
I think it just visually looks different. Strip malls and stuff. Not what I was used to seeing in other parts of the city. I was only there for like 30 min, but I did see folks of all races walking around. I have no clue what the background of the neighborhood is like other than the couple posts above.

Back
Top Bottom