Official PC thread.

psu id go with seasonic or corsair.

i believe they are made by the same OEM and are of excellent quality

psu id go with seasonic or corsair.

i believe they are made by the same OEM and are of excellent quality

Been waiting on this
[h4]Kinect for Windows SDK beta launches, wants PC users to get a move on

[/h4]We've been waiting for confirmation on yesterday's rumor, about Microsoft's motion-sensing Xbox 360 peripheral coming to PCs, and now we have it. MS has just now released a software development kit (SDK) for Windows that will allow .Net developers to write Kinecting apps in C++, C#, or VB. We spoke with some developer representatives from the company to get the full details, including just what you can and can't do with this big bundle of libraries. Follow us after the break for all the info.

At this point the SDK is effectively a straight-port of the same libs that are currently available to Xbox 360 developers. Built on XNA, the Kinect library is standalone, so you won't necessarily need to rely on DirectX being present. The SDK gives full access to everything the peripheral has to offer, including both cameras (VGA and depth-sensing) and the full microphone array. The former can identify up to six individuals or track the full skeletons for two, while the latter can handle advanced echo-cancellation and even sound triangulation.

To get the full skeleton tracking you're going to need the same sort of setup as on the Xbox 360 -- namely a largeish space in front of your computer for you to stand in and plenty of light. But, developers will be able to extract raw data from both cameras should they like, so in theory someone should be able to write an app that works with a Kinect sitting on your desk and looks for simple gestures from you, even if you're seated in a chair. That's our ideal scenario: hand-waving recognition in productivity apps to bridge the gap between mousing and multitouching.

To that end, Microsoft isn't confirming any plans to integrate Kinect compatibility with any of its major apps (alas, no jazz-hand formula creation in Excel), but the company's own coders are said to have their "juices flowing" thinking of ways to integrate the tech. Hopefully those creative fluids ooze their way right into the heart of Windows 8.

Been waiting on this
[h4]Kinect for Windows SDK beta launches, wants PC users to get a move on

[/h4]We've been waiting for confirmation on yesterday's rumor, about Microsoft's motion-sensing Xbox 360 peripheral coming to PCs, and now we have it. MS has just now released a software development kit (SDK) for Windows that will allow .Net developers to write Kinecting apps in C++, C#, or VB. We spoke with some developer representatives from the company to get the full details, including just what you can and can't do with this big bundle of libraries. Follow us after the break for all the info.

At this point the SDK is effectively a straight-port of the same libs that are currently available to Xbox 360 developers. Built on XNA, the Kinect library is standalone, so you won't necessarily need to rely on DirectX being present. The SDK gives full access to everything the peripheral has to offer, including both cameras (VGA and depth-sensing) and the full microphone array. The former can identify up to six individuals or track the full skeletons for two, while the latter can handle advanced echo-cancellation and even sound triangulation.

To get the full skeleton tracking you're going to need the same sort of setup as on the Xbox 360 -- namely a largeish space in front of your computer for you to stand in and plenty of light. But, developers will be able to extract raw data from both cameras should they like, so in theory someone should be able to write an app that works with a Kinect sitting on your desk and looks for simple gestures from you, even if you're seated in a chair. That's our ideal scenario: hand-waving recognition in productivity apps to bridge the gap between mousing and multitouching.

To that end, Microsoft isn't confirming any plans to integrate Kinect compatibility with any of its major apps (alas, no jazz-hand formula creation in Excel), but the company's own coders are said to have their "juices flowing" thinking of ways to integrate the tech. Hopefully those creative fluids ooze their way right into the heart of Windows 8.

what would be a noticeable performance upgrade from the evga gts 250?
im willing to spend 200-250 canadian dollars.

screen resolution I play at is 1600x900

mostly starcraft 2, hoping to run new games in the future.

just recently updated the mobo, cpu and ram.
here's the specs:

Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
AMD Phenom[emoji]8482[/emoji] II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz w/ 8MB Cache(AMD3)
Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division Viper 2 Edition DDR3 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3-12800
EVGA Geforce 1GB GTS250
OCZ StealthXSteam 600W
Seagate 500GB Sata3

here's the specs:

Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division Viper 2 Edition DDR3 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3-12800
EVGA Geforce 1GB GTS250
OCZ StealthXSteam 600W
Seagate 500GB Sata3

Browsing this thread makes me want to start a mid-range build with a i5-750 or an i5-2400. your thoughts?

Browsing this thread makes me want to start a mid-range build with a i5-750 or an i5-2400. your thoughts?

thanks for the replies. i went with 2133 MHz gskill ripjaws for the hell of it since it was only 5 bucks more. got a corsair enthusiast 650W power supply......hope im good with that.

ordered everything minus the CPU from newegg for convenience.....cost me just over $700 without the CPU
frown.gif
i didnt even get everything i wanted, most of the parts were on the low end. was trying to get the free 2 day shipping thing but they wont let you use debit
mad.gif
so i said fork it and paid 20 bucks shipping for the 3 day. hopefully they get it to me on saturday

thanks for the replies. i went with 2133 MHz gskill ripjaws for the hell of it since it was only 5 bucks more. got a corsair enthusiast 650W power supply......hope im good with that.

ordered everything minus the CPU from newegg for convenience.....cost me just over $700 without the CPU
frown.gif
i didnt even get everything i wanted, most of the parts were on the low end. was trying to get the free 2 day shipping thing but they wont let you use debit
mad.gif
so i said fork it and paid 20 bucks shipping for the 3 day. hopefully they get it to me on saturday

Originally Posted by 2o4

here's the specs:

Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
EVGA Geforce 1GB GTS250
OCZ StealthXSteam 600W
Seagate 500GB Sata3
get a hd 6950 or a gtx 560 ti

Originally Posted by 2o4

here's the specs:

Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
EVGA Geforce 1GB GTS250
OCZ StealthXSteam 600W
Seagate 500GB Sata3
get a hd 6950 or a gtx 560 ti

Just finished my first build.

Cooler Master HAF 912
Corsair TX 650
Phenom II X4 955BE overclocked to 3.6 GHZ
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Wintec DDR3 1333 2X2gb
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H rev 3.1
WD 500gb 7200 SATA
Seagate 160gb 7200 SATA
LG Optical Drive
Rosewill Card reader
Win 7 Pro

I will be doing some photo editing and light video editing for now. Saving up for a 6950 for before Battlefield 3 releases. Overall I must say it is an awesome experience. I will never buy prebuilt again.

Just finished my first build.

Cooler Master HAF 912
Corsair TX 650
Phenom II X4 955BE overclocked to 3.6 GHZ
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Wintec DDR3 1333 2X2gb
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H rev 3.1
WD 500gb 7200 SATA
Seagate 160gb 7200 SATA
LG Optical Drive
Rosewill Card reader
Win 7 Pro

I will be doing some photo editing and light video editing for now. Saving up for a 6950 for before Battlefield 3 releases. Overall I must say it is an awesome experience. I will never buy prebuilt again.

Back
Top Bottom