Official PC thread.

Originally Posted by iceman3699

Originally Posted by Periwinkle

These hd prices are ridiculous, I only have about 50gigs left, which isn't enough for me, all my hard drives are in the red, solid state drives are starting to look more affordable now, but I need the space.
Noticed this too, glad I was able to copy my HD's early in Sept.  What happened?
flood in thailand caused a hard drive shortage.
tired.gif

ssd's dont seem to be affected tho
pimp.gif

sidenote: what steps should I take to make sure my ssd lasts more than a couple of months?

Originally Posted by iceman3699

Originally Posted by Periwinkle

These hd prices are ridiculous, I only have about 50gigs left, which isn't enough for me, all my hard drives are in the red, solid state drives are starting to look more affordable now, but I need the space.
Noticed this too, glad I was able to copy my HD's early in Sept.  What happened?
flood in thailand caused a hard drive shortage.
tired.gif

ssd's dont seem to be affected tho
pimp.gif

sidenote: what steps should I take to make sure my ssd lasts more than a couple of months?

Looking at SSDLife, my ssd should last 10 years.

Just don't defrag the drive, reinstall your os multiple times. Don't run the benches a lot. Basically anything that will stress the hd by writing a lot of data on it and you should be fine.

Oh also had my ssd for 2 months already and it's been on for about 700 hours, the estimated lifetime still hasn't changed because of me having it on all the time.

Looking at SSDLife, my ssd should last 10 years.

Just don't defrag the drive, reinstall your os multiple times. Don't run the benches a lot. Basically anything that will stress the hd by writing a lot of data on it and you should be fine.

Oh also had my ssd for 2 months already and it's been on for about 700 hours, the estimated lifetime still hasn't changed because of me having it on all the time.

SSDs still too expensive for me.

Btw, EA Support gave me a 20% off code on the Origin store since my account got hacked by some Russian dude. If GUTTA BOB isn't going to use it (I don't know if they have PS3 games on Origin), it's up for grabs.

Also, BF3 PC guys... there is a 10% off code on the BF3 Limited Edition package as well.

SSDs still too expensive for me.

Btw, EA Support gave me a 20% off code on the Origin store since my account got hacked by some Russian dude. If GUTTA BOB isn't going to use it (I don't know if they have PS3 games on Origin), it's up for grabs.

Also, BF3 PC guys... there is a 10% off code on the BF3 Limited Edition package as well.

I am working on my first build and I wanted to get you opinions on what I have so far. I got some great deals on Black Friday!

- Processor: Intel Core i7-2600k
- Mhttp://www.tomshardware.com/forum/328161-31-first-system-build-opinions-advice#otherboard: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe

- RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

- Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

- Solid State Drivehttp://www.tomshardware.com/forum/328161-31-first-system-build-opinions-advice#: OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

- Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Series EA-750 Green 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Continuous Power Supply

- Optical Drive: LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM SATA 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature IHBS112-04 - OEM

- Computer Case: NZXT Crafted Series Phantom ATX Full Tower Case

All for $1,149.92! (Retail Price for everything: $1,633.88)
pimp.gif

I am working on my first build and I wanted to get you opinions on what I have so far. I got some great deals on Black Friday!

- Mhttp://www.tomshardware.com/forum/328161-31-first-system-build-opinions-advice#otherboard: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe

- RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

- Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

- Solid State Drivehttp://www.tomshardware.com/forum/328161-31-first-system-build-opinions-advice#: OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

- Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Series EA-750 Green 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Continuous Power Supply

- Optical Drive: LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM SATA 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature IHBS112-04 - OEM

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by IJumpmanI

pimp.gif
- RAM should be Kingston
pimp.gif

- SSD maybe too small?

- GPU should be Nvidia
pimp.gif

Other than that, looks solid! Especially the CPU.

Originally Posted by JackieBoy

pimp.gif
- RAM should be Kingston
pimp.gif

- SSD maybe too small?

- GPU should be Nvidia
pimp.gif

Appreciate the feedback!

- There was a great deal on the RAM, $29.99 + Free Shipping
- I have a separate HDD for storage (not listed, from another computer), the SSD is for my O/S
- Any particular reason why you prefer NVIDIA over AMD?

Originally Posted by JackieBoy

pimp.gif
- RAM should be Kingston
pimp.gif

- SSD maybe too small?

- GPU should be Nvidia
pimp.gif

Appreciate the feedback!

- There was a great deal on the RAM, $29.99 + Free Shipping
- I have a separate HDD for storage (not listed, from another computer), the SSD is for my O/S
- Any particular reason why you prefer NVIDIA over AMD?

That SSD is fine, same exact one I have. But you're going to need a larger slave drive because the OS installation is going to take up about 30 gigs.
I haven't checked in a few weeks but last time I did hard drive prices were OD. So unless you can find some for a good price might want to wait.

That SSD is fine, same exact one I have. But you're going to need a larger slave drive because the OS installation is going to take up about 30 gigs.
I haven't checked in a few weeks but last time I did hard drive prices were OD. So unless you can find some for a good price might want to wait.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Thanks for the advice. Right now I plan on using an older HDD until the price comes down but that probably won't be until next year.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Thanks for the advice. Right now I plan on using an older HDD until the price comes down but that probably won't be until next year.

I've only used Nvidia so can't say anything. But apparently Nvidia has better drivers than AMD.
Take that for what it's worth

I've only used Nvidia so can't say anything. But apparently Nvidia has better drivers than AMD.
Take that for what it's worth

Looking at that build and that Antec Earthwatts, make sure you have an extra power cord available, because I bought the 430w and the 380w before and they don't come with it.

Also with the ssd, I have a 64 GB one, All I have installed on there is bf3, maybe 2 other games and I only have 10 gigs left, everything else is on other hds, the the amount of space you have disappears quick.

Back
Top Bottom