OFFICIAL Oakland Raiders Off-Season Thread update as of 3/15/2008 D.Hall is a Raider

Originally Posted by BeatJunkie5

I still wouldn't count out the Raiders getting McFadden...having a 1-2 punch will always be a great thing to have, especially since the Raiders are very much a run oriented team...and although Fargas did do a great job for us this season, he does run very hard for a little RB and isn't as reliable as you'd think...he gets banged up a lot and i'm sure having McFadden take some of that load will help...

Now, I know we got Rhodes and Jordan too...but Jordan I doubt will be back next season, and although Rhodes did put some spark the last games of the season I don't know what the plans are with him either...we'll just have to wait and see...I'd love to see Dorsey or Long as a Raider though
pimp.gif

Yeah but they also will have Michael Bush, and Rhodes as you mentioned. They will probably just cut Jordan but that still leaves us with 3 running backs.So I really don't seem them drafting a RB, a DT is their biggest need. Along with WR and Safety because Schweigert is a bum
laugh.gif

Rhodes & Jordan are cut... Bush is unproven.. And the Raiders WILL be interested in mcfadden if hes available

With the 4th pick in the draft, we're sitting pretty IMO.

Of the top players, Chris Long, Darren McFadden, Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey, someone is going to be at #4.

If both Long's and Dorsey are off the board when we pick, I could see us taking McFadden. I could also see us taking Gholston to go opposite of Burgess(that might be nasty).

With our Zone Blocking Scheme, we don't need a first round O-lineman. We could wait until the 2nd or 3rd round for that. Along with a DT such as TrevorLaws in the 2nd.

We need a WR though, maybe two. Whether we draft one or acquire one in free agency, we need someone for Russell to throw the ball to.

Our Draft will be dictated by what we will be able to do in free agency. So far, we've only re-signed players.

BTW, did we really cut Rhodes? I thought he was under contract until the end of next year and is scheduled to receive a lil over 3 mill this year.

I was hoping we could trade him for a 3rd round pick.

....W T F....

[h1]Kelly signs seven-year, $50.5 million contract with Raiders[/h1]
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)

The Oakland Raiders stepped forward Thursday on the eve of free agency and signed Tommy Kelly to the largest contract even given to a defensive tackle.

Kelly, a defensive end scheduled to move to defensive tackle this season, signed a seven-year, $50.5 million contract Thursday that has $18.125 million in guarantees. Over the first three years of the deal, he will make $25.125 million.
The Raiders' plan is for the 300-pound Kelly to replace the retiring Warren Sapp as the three-technique defensive tackle in the Raiders' 4-3 defense. The move is similar to the one made last year by the Detroit Lions' Cory Redding, a franchise player who signed a seven-year, $47.5 million deal last summer, the highest among defensive tackles at the time. Like Kelly, Redding was an effective run-stopping end with some pass-rush ability so the Lions felt he could move to tackle, work next to Shaun Rogers and create a solid 1-2 interior defensive tackle punch. The Raiders believe Kelly can emerge as one of the league's best interior defenders. Kelly gained the confidence of the Raiders coaches by averaging five tackles a game as a starter at defensive end. He's had 13 career sacks, and the Raiders believe he can be a pass-rushing force at defensive tackle because of his quickness. First, though, Kelly has to get healthy. He's coming off a torn ACL that limited him to seven games last year. He had 30 tackles and a sack in those games. Kelly was going to be a highly coveted defender in free agency because he could play defensive tackle in a 4-3 or defensive end in a 3-4. He came to the Raiders in 2004 as an undrafted free agent out of Mississippi State.

I dont' agree with this move at all...if anything they should've put the money into Asomugha...I mean Kelly is aiight, but he's not worth no $50million for 7 years...atleast he hasn't proven it yet.
smh.gif

can the raiders even afford another top 10 pick on their cap?

joking aside. I'm serious

^^Raiders have a lot of cap money bro... around 25million

anyway.. when I seen that deal that Tommy Kelly got.. it made me real frustrated.. hes unproven! we could have gotten brian young or ethan kelley for wayyyycheaper.. and they guy I think thats gonna have a breakout year.. Randy Starks from the titans whos a FA.. I really got to question al davis and his logic..that big money could have been spent on a DE such as odom from the titans and to resign chris clemons

BTW, did we really cut Rhodes? I thought he was under contract until the end of next year and is scheduled to receive a lil over 3 mill this year.

Rhodes is still on the team but should get cut.. the 3 mil dont matter bc its not a guarenteed 3 mil.. and no 1s gonna give up a 3rd rd pick forhim.. esp when you loook at how deep the RB draft class is this year

If they cut Rhodes and LaMont Jordan then I'd think they are leaning towards drafting McFadden since they just signed Tommy Kelly to a long termdeal...possibly Tommy Kelly + Glenn Dorsey/Sedrick Ellis?

Originally Posted by S Dizzel

Rhodes is still on the team but should get cut.. the 3 mil dont matter bc its not a guarenteed 3 mil.. and no 1s gonna give up a 3rd rd pick for
him.. esp when you loook at how deep the RB draft class is this year

Maybe I'm too optimistic with a 3rd round, but dude is a baller and is PROVEN. Superbowl MVP has to say something to somebody. Maybe not a 3rd round,
but some sort of draft compensation i would hope

^^a 5th rd pick would be the best possible thing we can get.. but more than likely it would be a conditional 6th

So it looks like Raiders are the favorite to sign S Gibril Wilson.. hopefully he is more than just a one year wonder bc Hes probably gonna get more than $15mgaurenteed

Gibril Wilson is a Bay Area boy too.
Very good pick-up for the Raiders
Huff+wilson will be fun to watch.

Raiders are still bringing in FA's.. they got money to spend this year.. Hopefully the DE from titans,, odom signs with us and we resign chris clemons

Originally Posted by S Dizzel

Raiders are still bringing in FA's.. they got money to spend this year.. Hopefully the DE from titans,, odom signs with us and we resign chris clemons

Naw, I don't want Clemons back. He's a little light in the shorts to help solve our run defense woes. He's a situational pass rusher who'll belooking for a big pay day as well. Last I heard he was talking to the Eagles so we'll see. I'd rather have us draft Chris Long (if available) or VernonGholston. I think we could have a very solid defensive unit with drafting one of those guys.

Berkeley, if Oakland is looking to go defensive tackle in the 2nd round, Kentwan Balmer and Pat Sims would both be better choices than Trevor Laws. Laws wouldbe somewhat of a reach at that point anyway.

Looks like Philly is gonna land Clemons.

Tommy Kelly has potential, but that deal is a MAJOR gamble. I know he can play end and tackle but you gotta factor in that Kelly just suffered a pretty seriousknee injury this past season.

I like the pairing of Gibril Wilson with Huff at the safety positions. Oakland has solidified a young and talented secondary.

pimp.gif
Our secondary is lookin pretty damn good right now....Fabian Washington needs to step his game up a bit, I know we play a lot of man coverage but I thinkif he can be a little better then our defense will be right up there in the top 10 again..Hell, most of our D is rising stars in Thomas Howard, Kirk Morrison,Asomugha, Huff and Wilson now...some you can already argue are some pretty good stars...

Edit:: ^^ Barry Sims was cut?? Its about damn time...Jerry Porter signed with the Jags earlier today...so now we are really without a true #1 WR...

Back
Top Bottom