Official Nike Air Yeezy II "Red" Thread NO BOT TALK--NO FAKE/GM TALK-NO BUY/SELL/TRADE TALK-- Ye to

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if Kanye moves to a new company, makes more money, and has more creative reign on his own products how is that not a complete and entire win for Kanye West?

Not to mention the free publicity that's coming out of this bad breakup.

it's a win for him creatively, but Adidas will always be a step down from Nike.

end of the day Kanye won't get to have his own Nikes (although he has 2 already, more then most will ever have) and Nike won't get to have Kanye. can't really generalize it as bad or good for either side tho

But if Kanye moves to a new company, makes more money, and has more creative reign on his own products how is that not a complete and entire win for Kanye West?

Not to mention the free publicity that's coming out of this bad breakup.
Well that's a good point. Kanye can come out of this better off than before. I just can't see how Nike could be better off without Kanye than they are with him... But that's just me recognizing that there are no other artists with his influence on style nor his passion for fashion.

I was trying to be objective. Worst case scenario for Kanye is his product isn't as successful with another sneaker brand and he still makes millions doing music and everything else he's doing.

Worst case scenario for Nike is they don't sell some of their more expensive general released items as well (i.e. Flyknits).

Point being that both parties will continue to thrive. But in the end Kanye loses less.

Great post, but one thing you didn't take into account: "Do as I say, not as I do"

What I mean by that is that with Kanye going out and publicly making statements slamming Nike it looks exponentially worse than him going out and silently wearing one of their products. What he SAYS will certainly have a much bigger influence than what he DOES just based on the simple fact more people will hear about a polarizing statement/rant than the outfit he wears on a daily basis.

I agree that he will probably never stop wearing Nike but if he did/does sign with Adidas, the times he's in the spotlight (public events, interviews, etc) he most likely won't be doing it with a swoosh. That's pure speculation but I am absolutely sure that Kanye is able to understand the business implications of doing so and that it would be in his best interest to not wear them. BUT, this is Kanye, and he's as unpredictable as it gets, so you really can't bank on anything.

That right there is the first truly honest thing anybody has said in this thread...

To put this whole debate into context look at it this way...What did he bring Nike during his short tenure with the company...What did he bring them that he hadn't already brought them prior to signing whatever they're deal was...You can say he brought hype but logically looking at the situation that has little to do with the grand scheme of things...Profit...The sneaker community has little to no overall bearing on the financial bottom line of a massive sneaker company like Nike and Adidas...

This is where Nike dropped the ball...They had, at their disposal, Kanye West...Love him or hate him everybody knows him...Simple as that...Like I laid out in my last post I think the whole thing was more of an afterthought to Nike, or at least I tried to convey that...~The guy already wears all our stuff we may as well be able to use his name while he does it~ kind of deal...Only thing is Kanye saw it differently and started acting like Kanye...

To me what he is capable of bringing to Adidas is substantially more than what he brought to the table with Nike...Especially since Adidas is apparently open to allowing him more creative control...Like it or not Adidas is still the second largest "sneaker" company in the world...That's been debated to ad nauseam but the numbers don't lie...Nike makes more money world wide than Adidas annually...

I don't see this affecting NIke on a catastrophic scale...I do however see it boosting the 3 stripes side of things...

Kanye gets his product control with a large scale manufacturer...

Nike keeps on business as usual as they really don't lose anything in Kanye (Didn't use him substantially in the first place and they can't lose what they didn't have to begin with)...

Adidas gets big boost because they put more of a vested interest in the guy and hopefully decide to use him to what he perceives as his full potential...**I.E. They keep Kanye Happy**

Simply speaking this isn't bad for anybody...

Last edited:

OMFG LMFAO you really are THAT stupid. I was being sarcastic.

Please tell me what I haven't comprehended now. Just stop replying to me, you're really not doing much for yourself here.

EDIT: Just for the record, I only attacked people that tried to make my comments look ridiculous. Why? Because not one single person that disagreed with them has a single shred of evidence to back themselves up.... and they were trying to make me look stupid. Which makes no sense.

BUT I GUESS STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES OH WELL LOL
You did that yourself. I was merely replying to your comments..wasn't intending to make you feel or look stupid.

it's a win for him creatively, but Adidas will always be a step down from Nike.

end of the day Kanye won't get to have his own Nikes (although he has 2 already, more then most will ever have) and Nike won't get to have Kanye. can't really generalize it as bad or good for either side tho
Financially, creatively, everything.

Don't be so short sighted. Adidas is not/will not be/was not ever a step down from Nike. It's preference. In this culture, sure, it's a "step down." And over the last couple decades overall they've been financially a step down, too...

But it's like you guys all forget that MJ wanted to sign with Adidas.... When these two companies' roles were completely flip flopped (Adidas being dominator, Nike looking to make things happen). Or that Kobe was an athlete that they could CUT from their line.

As stated many times before nobody has brought the hype to this level since Jordan... so who's to say Kanye can't be the figure responsible for what we look back on in 20 years as the moment Nike blew it... like we look at them missing Jordan now.

That right there is the first truly honest thing anybody has said in this thread...

To put this whole debate into context look at it this way...What did he bring Nike during his short tenure with the company...What did he bring them that he hadn't already brought them prior to signing whatever they're deal was...You can say he brought hype but logically looking at the situation that has little to do with the grand scheme of things...Profit...The sneaker community has little to no overall bearing on the financial bottom line of a massive sneaker company like Nike and Adidas...

This is where Nike dropped the ball...They had, at their disposal, Kanye West...Love him or hate him everybody knows him...Simple as that...Like I laid out in my last post I think the whole thing was more of an afterthought to Nike, or at least I tried to convey that...~The guy already wears all our stuff we may as well be able to use his name while he does it~ kind of deal...Only thing is Kanye saw it differently and started acting like Kanye...

To me what he is capable of bringing to Adidas is substantially more than what he brought to the table with Nike...Especially since Adidas is apparently open to allowing him more creative control...Like it or not Adidas is still the second largest "sneaker" company in the world...That's been debated to ad nauseam but the numbers don't lie...Nike makes more money world wide than Adidas annually...

I don't see this affecting NIke on a catastrophic scale...I do however see it boosting the 3 stripes side of things...

Nike keeps on business as usual as they really don't lose anything in Kanye (Didn't use him substantially in the first place and they can't lose what they didn't have to begin with)...

Adidas gets big boost because they put more of a vested interest in the guy and hopefully decide to use him to what he perceives as his full potential...**I.E. They keep Kanye Happy**

Another great post. I agree it won't be immediately catastrophic... nobody is taking an overnight loss with this. I'm talking the long road; this could be the moment that Nike starts to slip as the clear-cut dominant footwear retailer in the USA. These moves are chess moves, not checkers, as these companies have way too many moving parts for something this simplistic to indicate any real change.

But that's not to say that Nike's "hungry" culture of the past has gotten "fat and happy" with their spot looking down on the competition. That lack of edge and overconfidence WILL be their downfall.

lmao that Nike would give Kanye West rights to the shoe. Yeezy 2s in themselves made Nike nothing. I bet the new $20 KD socks that dropped made more for Nike than Yeezy 2s. But the thing is Yeezy 2s let Nike price Lebron GR at $200. If a shoe might be worth $2000-$3000, there sure will be a bunch of people okay with paying $200...$300 for NikeID on a shoe. This is really the outrageous thing. 

4 years ago $300 for a pair of sneakers meant you were getting something really hot. Like Sole Collector collab hot. Now $300 is a standard for Nike ID? $200 for a GR? So Nike owes something to Kanye but don't kid yourself that Kanye has any intellectual property rights to the Air Nike Yeezy 2s. Crazy talk y'all.

Yeezys have made nike nothing?

Lets do some simple math.. the production amount I am seeing in this topic about the ROs is around 5000. So $245 x 5000 is 1,225,000 USD. That's just 1 colorway out of a lot more. Nike is a FOR-PROFIT business, any type of profit is appreciated regardless of how trivial it might seem just because Nike is a billion dollar company. (you're comparing apples to oranges) I really don't think its farfetched to think Kanye owning the intellectual rights to the shoe or "yeezy" brand, that just seems like a basic contracting agreement. It's not like Kanye is an athlete where there will be countless demand and advertisements everywhere pushing product.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Well that's a good point. Kanye can come out of this better off than before. I just can't see how Nike could be better off without Kanye than they are with him... But that's just me recognizing that there are no other artists with his influence on style nor his passion for fashion.

I was trying to be objective. Worst case scenario for Kanye is his product isn't as successful with another sneaker brand and he still makes millions doing music and everything else he's doing.

Worst case scenario for Nike is they don't sell some of their more expensive general released items as well (i.e. Flyknits).

Point being that both parties will continue to thrive. But in the end Kanye loses less.
Exactly. Kanye comes out of this as a winner no matter what happens... in effect these companies both want him to IMPROVE their bottom line. Losing him isn't going to HURT either one... but it will certainly give the opposition a chance to give the other a run for their money (particularly in the case of Adidas). If you ask me, Nike has way more to lose than Adidas has to gain... and Adidas has a whole lot to gain.

Kanye is not going to have his creativity compromised. Period. Whether you believe heavily in his creativity or you think that it's 90 percent hype, it doesn't matter, he is not going to compromise himself. Anyone not happy or in disbelief about him leaving Nike, why? If you liked his designs, then you should welcome his move to Adidas. They will give him the backing and freedoms to test himself as a designer. Yes, Nike is bigger and has more influence, but Adidas has proved to put forward quality sneakers and clothing in their higher end fashion lines. 

My only concern would be that Kanye may just be a bit too unrealistic in terms of budgets and affordable production. 

Could Nike have had another "Jordan Brand" type of situation with Kanye...Absolutely...That, however, DOESEN'T seem like what they wanted...

Could Adidas have their first "Jordan Brand" type of situation with Kanye...Absolutely...That DOES seem like what they want...

Won't heavily drop Nike...Will heavily boost Adidas...

That's my stance on this whole thing...

Who wants to go over to "Other Brands" and start the YEEZ~I Adidas Thread...

You did that yourself. I was merely replying to your comments..wasn't intending to make you feel or look stupid.
"How many shoezeums were built around Adidas?

How many IG posts are there showing off Adidas collections?

Ask any kid in America what shoes they like...they'll say Jordans/Nike; not adidas."

That was your first reply to me. So you're really trying to tell me you aren't using sarcasm here to discredit what I said/make me look stupid? Give me a break bro.

the one mike the one mike well I'm not really concerned with Kanye financially or whatever else, I'm just pointing out that Kanye wants his own Nikes cuz Nike is cool. in that way it's a step down. Also he's influenced by Nikes and Jordan's so that's a whole catalog of shoes he can't really use for inspiration (at least not as heavily) for his Adidas kicks.

but mainly I'm trying to point out that no one is losing. Nike would be losing if they decided to utilize Kanye more, but they didn't so it just is what it is. only one doing any thing is Adidas and they super win from this

Could Nike have had another "Jordan Brand" type of situation with Kanye...Absolutely...That, however, DOESEN'T seem like what they wanted...

Could Adidas have their first "Jordan Brand" type of situation with Kanye...Absolutely...That DOES seem like what they want...

Won't heavily drop Nike...Will heavily boost Adidas...

That's my stance on this whole thing...

Who wants to go over to "Other Brands" and start the YEEZ~I Adidas Thread...
See but Nike didn't want a "Jordan Brand" situation when they signed MJ... they just wanted someone to market their product... Juuuuuuuust how they treated Kanye. It just so happens the market was new and Mike stayed with them long enough to stand the test of time... and the line became legendary. Plus Mike never wanted to design anything, he was a basketball player... so he was easy to please in that sense.

And your stance is 100% correct. What that stance implies in 10 years.... WE WILL SEE. Lol

EDIT: Yes, lets head over there, because I think our line of thinking is too big for this thread. And I'll likely be banned from this one soon. LOL

Last edited:
Is that kicksoffcourt story reliable? I mean the writings on the wall already I'm just awaiting the official word from Ye

@the one mike well I'm not really concerned with Kanye financially or whatever else, I'm just pointing out that Kanye wants his own Nikes cuz Nike is cool. in that way it's a step down. Also he's influenced by Nikes and Jordan's so that's a whole catalog of shoes he can't really use for inspiration (at least not as heavily) for his Adidas kicks.

but mainly I'm trying to point out that no one is losing. Nike would be losing if they decided to utilize Kanye more, but they didn't so it just is what it is. only one doing any thing is Adidas and they super win from this
It's not a loss immediately... But it could potentially mean Adidas could beat them in the future... which is a loss.

There was once a time Adidas was the "cool" brand and Nike was up and coming.... The tables turned and now competition is starting to heat up again. Who knows what this leads to in the future. I truly believe at the bare minimum this could open the flood gates for much more parity between the two.

Mart mentioned Maison Martin Margiela Sneakers...Seems to me this would be the same type of design Y-3 / Adidas / Kanye would drop...Speculating now but I'd venture to guess the shoes will be very minimalistic so as to set themselves apart from the overly tech looking NIke models...Just my theory on the future...

Back on topic though...

Who thinks the official announcement of a release for the RO's will come any time now...Nike won't want that release to be overshadowed by the Adidas announcement...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom