Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name one guy who hasn't needed help to win a title in the past 30 years, let alone history..

Westbrook / Harden / Durant / Ibaka / Perkins.

Wade / Allen / Battier / Bron / Bosh.

Nash / Bryant / MWP / Pau / Howard.

:x :x :x

Basketball is a team sport, man. This **** ain't golf :rofl:

It isn't just one dude on the floor. Every NBA championship team has had some complimentary players around all star caliber talent. Some teams more than others.

One thing is for sure though. This season is gonna be bananas.

It's funny to think, that despite everyone saying Lebron needs help to win a title...
Kobe has always needed help to win the title. He was never able to win by himself..

What a STUPID post.

Lebron gets swept in 1st trip to the Finals against the Spurs.

2 years later he leaves for the Heat and joins his buddies.

Kobe proved he can be the leader and main person on a team when he won back to back titles in 2009 & 2010 when after 2004 everyone and their mama's were saying he would never win without Shaq and be able to lead a team to a ring on his own.

Heck even Michael Jordan admitted he wouldn't have won any rings without Scottie Pippen.

Pippen and Rodman = Top 5 defenders of all-time

Ron Harper was pretty good defensively as well. Those Bulls team suffocated teams with defense and won titles. MJ got the legacy because he was the scorer. I mean, MJ had to pluck Rodman because he knew he needed him to get trophies.

Kobe had Shaq, although great, but they had trouble finding the 3rd piece. Glen Rice was underwhelming. They were finally able to find the right mix of vets and win some titles.

Also the league was different then. Celtics, Lakers, Pistons franchises were dormant for most of the decade. There are a lot of variables at play; it goes beyond who played with who.

You could definitely make a good case that 1st Year. I disagree that there were big contributions from some small names, but there's some case...

The second year. Not a case at all.. Hakeem's 32 was accompanied by Clyde 21, Horry 17, Elie 16, Cassell 14ppg

Explosions? If those are explosions then what exactly are Jordan's best games from the 80s and early 90s? Hydrogen bomb detonations? I could easily FILL this thread with youtube videos of Jordan's scoring outbursts, but I don't want to make people scroll too much. Kobe averaged 35 on 45% shooting, Jordan averaged 35 on 54% shooting. He had so many seasons with 50%+ shooting, while Kobe never cracked the 47% shooting barrier. His mediocre shooting percentages will ultimately always separate him from Jordan. And don't get me even started on the playoffs. The record 63 against the Celtics. Drowning Cliff Robinson with treys. Averaging 40 in a finals. Kobe never did anything like this in the playoffs. Not to mention consistency. Jordan has 8-900 games where he scored in double figures. I don't think Kobe's ever made it halfway to this.
The fact that his game is more centered around scoring is far from being the same as him actually being a better scorer/offensive player. Therefore, I can certainly see why you think scoring would be your best shot at having an argument, but again, you have no valid argument what...so...ever.

MJ was more consistent and got hot more consistently but 81>69. A torching hot kobe bryant in his prime>a hot torching MJ. That is only one aspect though and it
only shows how consistently good MJ was compared to bryant. MJ was better in every other facet as well except for ball handling and 3 point shooting.

Last edited:
What center scores best against Howard? Al Jeff? Amare playing out of position? Assuming he is healthy, I think trying to stop him will be relatively futile. I don't know where I stand on the #amnestyPerkins movement now, because sometimes he has played Dwight well defensively, and other times Dwight lit him up for 30+. But beyond that our center depth chart is HORRENDOUS. Perkins, Aldrich, Thabeet, Orton. :x

0810-dwight-howard-getty-lakers-3.jpg

The Thunder are at a crossroads IMO. Now they have to decide if it is more important to win, or to stay with the whole choir boy image, fiscally responsible with our signings thing (haven't seen it confirmed rbrt but as for every FA who is out that we don't pursue, it's commonly presumed that it is because "he got arrested that one time; he smokes weed" or something).

Presti's success rate and decisions as a GM building this team has been amazing going back to 2006 when he got the job and started by dumping salary off the Sonics. But I think his approach has gone as far as it can go. With the pace at which teams are trying to give LA or Brooklyn the title, and the cavalcade of FAs to LA and MIA, plus their willingness to exceed the cap, it's not going to be possible to win cheap. In 4 yrs, KD will be unrestricted.

What a STUPID post.
Kobe proved he can be the leader and main person on a team when he won back to back titles in 2009 & 2010 when after 2004 everyone and their mama's were saying he would never win without Shaq and be able to lead a team to a ring on his own.
Heck even Michael Jordan admitted he wouldn't have won any rings without Scottie Pippen.
Now this is a STUPID post.

No one is denying that you need help to win. It's a tired excuse and flawed critique that people always use to discredit Lebron when in fact everyone else (including Kobe) needs "help" to win a title.

And don't act like Kobe didn't have help in 09 & 10. Sure it wasn't a Shaq but he damn sure didn't win those by himself.

Kobe need to thanks the Orlando Magic?

LOl joke. More like Shaq, Pau need to thanks Kobe and soon will be Dwight

Kobe is a better offensive player than Jordan. Prime Kobe is a thing of beauty. I love MJ but Kobe has a prettier game and is more deadly in clutch moment.

MJ greatest shots was over Craig Ehlo and Byron Russel lol. Those shots were joke. Kobe had hit way more difficult shots it's not even a contest who's the better shooter.

Jordan and the Bulls were the better team in all 6 Finals. The Jazz was the best team MJ played in Finals. Weak lol

04 Piston, 08, 10 Celtics > Any team MJ play in Finals
laugh.gif
yo im dying

What center scores best against Howard? Al Jeff? Amare playing out of position? Assuming he is healthy, I think trying to stop him will be relatively futile. I don't know where I stand on the #amnestyPerkins movement now, because sometimes he has played Dwight well defensively, and other times Dwight lit him up for 30+. But beyond that our center depth chart is HORRENDOUS. Perkins, Aldrich, Thabeet, Orton. :x
The Thunder are at a crossroads IMO. Now they have to decide if it is more important to win, or to stay with the whole choir boy image, fiscally responsible with our signings thing (haven't seen it confirmed rbrt but as for every FA who is out that we don't pursue, it's commonly presumed that it is because "he got arrested that one time; he smokes weed" or something).
Presti's success rate and decisions as a GM building this team has been amazing going back to 2006 when he got the job and started by dumping salary off the Sonics. But I think his approach has gone as far as it can go. With the pace at which teams are trying to give LA or Brooklyn the title, and the cavalcade of FAs to LA and MIA, plus their willingness to exceed the cap, it's not going to be possible to win cheap. In 4 yrs, KD will be unrestricted.

I forgot who it was but he tweeted... "With the addition of Thabeet and Orton, the Thunder have added 12 more fouls against Dwight"

Last edited:
It's funny to think, that despite everyone saying Lebron needs help to win a title...
Kobe has always needed help to win the title. He was never able to win by himself..

What a STUPID post.

It's actually not a stupid post.

* Kobe couldn't win it by himself. His first three rings were with Shaq, the next two rings were with Gasol.

* I'm not saying Kobe isn't arguably top 5 in history, but he still needed help to win the title.

* You should look at the team Lebron had in 07 and then realize why they got swept by the Spurs.

Someone's mad, Kobe hasn't asked anyone to come "join" him. Management is making moves

Jokes on you :rofl:

lol, these guys snatched up howard while magic got the shaft and now snatched up meeks too? :smh:

They are making some strong moves. Can't even front.

Obvious bryant is desperate as hell, basically forcing mitch to make moves so he can get another ring before he retires in two seasons.

On paper, the Thunder still match up pretty well against the new-look Lakers. It all depends on how Dwight comes back, and how well Westbrook/Harden progress as key players.

As it is, they match up pretty well..

Westbrook on Nash
Thabo on Kobe
Durant on MWP
Ibaka on Gasol
Perkins on Dwight

lol, these guys snatched up howard while magic got the shaft and now snatched up meeks too? :smh:
They are making some strong moves. Can't even front.
Obvious bryant is desperate as hell, basically forcing mitch to make moves so he can get another ring before he retires in two seasons.

Wait.... what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom