**OFFICIAL NBA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (MVP) THREAD**

Originally Posted by Nike God

If it's anyone but this guy, the voters are a complete joke.
top-20-players-in-the-nba-20060428032925044.jpg

good one
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

KG

FTW!!!!

take out pierce and ray allen what do you get?.....Garnett in the timberwolves with the same stats makes sense doesn't it?.....i am a lebron fan butsince its all about "team work" ill have to say chris paul since nash stole it for two years in a row.

Originally Posted by GrizztheBoss

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

KG

FTW!!!!

take out pierce and ray allen what do you get?.....Garnett in the timberwolves with the same stats makes sense doesn't it?.....i am a lebron fan but since its all about "team work" ill have to say chris paul since nash stole it for two years in a row.

Why the hell would you "take out" players?
I never understood this and never will.
Hello, MJ won the MVP with Scottie freakin Pippen on his team.
Pippen is when of the 50 greatest players ever, nobody ever said if you take Pippen out the Bulls wouldn't be as good.

Originally Posted by BaronDavis5

im actually surprised this year, all the people on espn finally ageeing and giving Kobe the award. Hopefully he gets it.

they have no reason not to.

the past couple of years he deserved the award but their excuse was he isnt on a winning team, well now his team (Lakers) have won the west in the mostcompetitive the western conference play-off race ever.So they really have no excuse not to now.

he is well overdue...
pimp.gif

Lakers r the best team in the west....Kobe been doin wat he do all yr....MVP will b commin 2 LA dis yr....and 2 cap off great season Kobe, Ronnie, and Mbengawill pop Bottles in june

Originally Posted by Kidskillz858

Roundtable: Who is the league's 2007-08 MVP?

A season like no other has had an MVP race like no other.
Fans and writers began buzzing about the MVP competition in November, as it became clear that this season could be something special.

The hot names early in the season were Kevin Garnett (for Boston's 29-3 start), Dwight Howard (for Orlando streaking on the road) and LeBron James (for being LeBron).

Then as it dawned on everyone that the Lakers and the Hornets were for real, and might not fade as in seasons past, two more names broke through: Kobe Bryant and Chris Paul.

From there, it became a question of what voters (and fans) valued more:

• Garnett's defense and leadership toward the biggest team improvement in NBA history;
• Howard's impersonation of Shaq … and Superman;
• LeBron's amazing numbers in the face of team turmoil;
• Paul's mastery of the point guard position and firm control of the surprising Hornets;
• Bryant's key role in leading the Lakers while holding the unofficial title of Best Two-Way Player in the Game.

In the end, KB24 prevailed narrowly over CP3 on ESPN.com's ballots, as many expect to happen in the official voting results. Some of Bryant's supporters insisted their vote was not a "lifetime achievement award," but it seemed clear that many believe it's his turn. After all, Paul is just 22 years old, and James is just 23, so presumably their time will come. And Garnett took home his MVP trophy four years ago.

We will remember 2007-08 for many things, including the rebirth of the Celtics (thanks, KG) and the New Orleans renaissance (thanks, CP). And it remains to be seen what dramatic stories are in front of us in the next 10 weeks. But in any case, we won't be able to tell the story of this past season without Kobe, from his heated accusations of last spring and summer to his success with Team USA to his surprising and gratifying star turn as the leader of a potentially great Lakers team.

For those reasons and many more, Kobe Bean Bryant is the ESPN.com choice for NBA MVP.
[table][tr][td]ESPN.com's NBA MVP Ballot[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rank[/td] [td]Player[/td] [td]Stats[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
1.gif
[/td] [td]
3118.jpg

Kobe Bryant
Los Angeles Lakers
Shooting Guard
Team record: 56-25[/td] [td]Points per game: 28.4
Rebounds per game: 6.3
Assists per game: 5.4
Kobe's complete statistics
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
2.gif
[/td] [td]
3930.jpg

Chris Paul
New Orleans Hornets
Point Guard
Team record: 55-25[/td] [td]Points per game: 21.1
Rebounds per game: 4.0
Assists per game: 11.6
Paul's complete statistics
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
3.gif
[/td] [td]
3007.jpg

Kevin Garnett
Boston Celtics
Power Forward
Team record: 64-16[/td] [td]Points per game: 19.0
Rebounds per game: 9.3
Assists per game: 3.5
Garnett's complete statistics
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
4.gif
[/td] [td]
3704.jpg

LeBron James
Cleveland Cavaliers
Small Forward
Team record: 44-36[/td] [td]Points per game: 30.0
Rebounds per game: 7.9
Assists per game: 7.2
Complete stats
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
5.gif
[/td] [td]
3818.jpg

Dwight Howard
Orlando Magic
Center
Team record: 50-30[/td] [td]Points per game: 20.9
Rebounds per game: 14.3
Blocks per game: 2.2
Complete stats
[/td] [/tr][/table][h2]The Tally[/h2]
Kobe Bryant: 64 points (9 first-place votes, 2 second, 3 third, 1 fourth)
Chris Paul: 60 points (4 first-place votes, 8 second, 2 third, 1 fourth)
Kevin Garnett: 44 points (1 first-place vote, 4 second, 5 third, 3 fourth, 2 fifth)
LeBron James: 37 points (1 first-place vote, 1 second, 5 third, 5 second, 3 fifth)
Dwight Howard: 10 points (3 fourth-place votes, 4 fifth)
Amare Stoudemire: 6 points (2 fourth-place votes, 2 fifth)
Tim Duncan: 1 point
Manu Ginobili: 1 point
Tracy McGrady: 1 point
Hedo Turkoglu: 1 point

Five points awarded for first-place votes, four points for second place, and so on.
[h2]The Ballots:[/h2]
Henry Abbott

J.A. Adande

Maurice Brooks

Chris Broussard

Chad Ford

Jemele Hill

John Hollinger

Mark Jackson

Scoop Jackson

Tim Legler

Chris Palmer

Jalen Rose

Chris Sheridan

Marc Stein

David Thorpe

Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=MVP08

indifferent.gif

I understand he is having a breakout year but c'mon now.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by Nike God

If it's anyone but this guy, the voters are a complete joke.
top-20-players-in-the-nba-20060428032925044.jpg
If you really believe that you should be banned....

laugh.gif
Mr. Zodoggy is back
roll.gif

He's gonna flip out if Kobe gets the award. He's gonna be like Michael Douglas in Falling Down.
pimp.gif

news_heading.gif

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
hill_475_080425.jpg

Grant Hill became the first player to win the NBA Sportsmanship Award twice.
(Barry Gossage/NBAE/Getty Images)

[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]

2008 Award Winners
With as much discussion as there has been about the MVP race this year, the anticipation for award announcements is high. Did your choice match the media's pick?
April 25 -- Grant Hill of the Phoenix Suns is the recipient of the Joe Dumars Trophy presented to the 2007-08 NBA Sportsmanship Award winner, the NBA announced today.
Hill, a 12-year veteran and the recipient of the 2004-05 Sportsmanship Award, was one of six divisional winners which included Detroit's Antonio McDyess, Houston's Shane Battier, Portland's Brandon Roy, Toronto's Chris Bosh and Washington's Antawn Jamison. This marks the first time that a player has received the award more than once.

April 22 -- The NBA announced today that Kevin Garnett of the Boston Celtics is the recipient of the 2007-08 NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award presented by Kia Motors. The 6-11 forward led the Celtics in rebounds with a 9.2 average (7.3 defensive rpg), to go along with 18.8 points, 1.2 blocks and 1.4 steals. He recorded a team season-high seven blocks against Chicago on Dec. 12.
April 21 -- Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs is the winner of the NBA Sixth Man Award presented by Kia Motors as the league's best player in a reserve role for the 2007-08 season.
Ginobili led the Spurs in scoring with a career-high average of 19.5 points to go along with 4.8 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.47 steals. He increased his scoring nearly 6.0 points over his career average entering this season (13.7 ppg). He is also the only player in the NBA to average at least 17 points in under 32.0 minutes per game.
April 3 -- Detroit's Antonio McDyess, Houston's Shane Battier, Phoenix's Grant Hill, Portland's Brandon Roy, Toronto's Chris Bosh and Washington's Antawn Jamison have been selected by a five-member panel of former players as divisional winners for the 2007-08 NBA Sportsmanship Award.
The NBA Sportsmanship Award, designed to honor a player who best represents the ideals of sportsmanship on the court, is voted on by NBA players. The winner will be announced after the regular season.
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]
[/td] [td] [table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]
2008 AWARD WINNERS
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Most Valuable Player
presented by Kia Motors

Official:
Peterson: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers
All-NBA Team
Official:
T-Mobile Rookie of the Year
Official:
McMenamin: Kevin Durant, Seattle
T-Mobile All-Rookie Team
Official:
Defensive Player of the Year
presented by Kia Motors

Official: Kevin Garnett, Boston
All-Defensive Team
Official:
Coach of the Year
Official:
Peterson: Byron Scott, New Orleans
Most Improved Player
presented by Kia Motors

Official:
Sixth Man Award
presented by Kia Motors

Official: Manu Ginobili, San Antonio
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]
AWARDS HISTORY
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
dot.gif
Most Valuable Player
dot.gif
Coach of the Year
dot.gif
Rookie of the Year
dot.gif
Defensive Player of the Year
dot.gif
Sixth Man Award
dot.gif
Most Improved Player
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]
NBA TV BROADBAND
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[img]http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/bullet_video.gif[/img]Garnett Top 10
[img]http://www.nba.com/media/video/kg_70_080420.jpg[/img] Watch the top 10 defensive plays of the 2007-08 season from Kevin Garnett of the Celtics.

blank.gif

[img]http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/bullet_video.gif[/img]Ginobili Top 10
[img]http://www.nba.com/media/video/ginobili_70_080420.jpg[/img] Watch top 10 plays from Manu Ginobili, winner of the Kia Sixth Man of the Year Award.

blank.gif

[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

http://www.nba.com/awards2008/

peterson and McMenamin are writers for nba.com...but hey who knows..

"MVP" is misleading, because someone else is probably more valuable to his respective team than Kobe to the Lakers.

CP3 and Kobe are both deserving, if one of those two win it I wont complain

First off the Lakers got the #1 seed no? Weren't people picking the Hornets to be a top seed in the Western Conference? People were saying the Lakersshouldn't make the playoffs and they finished the top seed in the West in THE most intense and difficult race for a conference ever. Kobe has provedhimself over the years also, if he doesn't win it this year.. I don't know what he has to do to get it honestly. KB24 is always mentioned every year inthe MVP race, but everyones argument is always "He doesn't make his team better." He's done that this year. "No team that's an 8seed will have the MVP on it." Doesn't get any better than the #1 seed in the West ESPECIALLY this year. CP3 can't take a game over like KB24 can.Don't get me wrong, CP3 is an amazing, amazing, player but I just don't think he is the MVP. I know you guys will be like "Oh he has a Lakersaffiliated signature, so he's just being a homer." But is anything I said not true?

Kobe will with the MVP award. If you think differently, you're lost.

...and to say he isn't deserving of it is comedy.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Originally Posted by 22 Deuces 22

Chris Paul HAS to be MVP. He's on a team that wasn't even supposed to make the playoffs, and didn't make any significant trade to better their roster....and this team MIGHT FINISH FIRST??? Like somebody else said, if they finish with a top 3 seed, it has to be Paul.
But wait, the Lakers weren't supposed to make the playoffs either and they might finish 1st as well.
Nobody had the Lakers finishing higher than a 7/8 seed. The majority had LA not even making the playoffs.
Don't give me that BS that the Lakers traded for Pau, the Lakers got to 1st place in the West before Bynum was hurt, so that arguement is null and void.

Not only Pau Gasol but also DERRICK FISHER, and Bynum (even he's injured, he improved alot since last year), Sasha is shooting better than Kobe and sois Jordan Farmar. Lakers fans lack brain cells like that guy Kidzskillz.

Originally Posted by zdiddy5

First off the Lakers got the #1 seed no? Weren't people picking the Hornets to be a top seed in the Western Conference? People were saying the Lakers shouldn't make the playoffs and they finished the top seed in the West in THE most intense and difficult race for a conference ever. Kobe has proved himself over the years also, if he doesn't win it this year.. I don't know what he has to do to get it honestly. KB24 is always mentioned every year in the MVP race, but everyones argument is always "He doesn't make his team better." He's done that this year. "No team that's an 8 seed will have the MVP on it." Doesn't get any better than the #1 seed in the West ESPECIALLY this year. CP3 can't take a game over like KB24 can. Don't get me wrong, CP3 is an amazing, amazing, player but I just don't think he is the MVP. I know you guys will be like "Oh he has a Lakers affiliated signature, so he's just being a homer." But is anything I said not true?

There were people picking the Hornets to make the playoff???????????????? KB24 shot 5-20 and his team still leads in double digit points. I've seen somany games when Kobe shoots horribly and stink up the joint but his team still have 10+ points.

^ Yes, people were picking the Hornets to make the playoffs. Legler had the Hornets coming out of the West in preseason.
rocboys:
Not only Pau Gasol but also DERRICK FISHER, and Bynum (even he's injured, he improved alot since last year), Sasha is shooting better than Kobe and so is Jordan Farmar. Lakers fans lack brain cells like that guy Kidzskillz.
Do you know how many games Bynum played for us this season? 35

How about Gasol? 27

Do you know how many games they played together? 0

How about Kobe? Guess how many games he played for us. All 82, including the 22 games where neither Gasol or Bynum played.

And according to you, our team is surrounded by phenomenal talent. I mean, Pau, Bynum, Sasha, Farmar, Fisher... that's just AMAZING, right? Who do youthink leads the Lakers in assists?

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ Yes, people were picking the Hornets to make the playoffs. Legler had the Hornets coming out of the West in preseason.
rocboys:
Not only Pau Gasol but also DERRICK FISHER, and Bynum (even he's injured, he improved alot since last year), Sasha is shooting better than Kobe and so is Jordan Farmar. Lakers fans lack brain cells like that guy Kidzskillz.

How about Gasol? 27

How about Kobe? Guess how many games he played for us. All 82, including the 22 games where neither Gasol or Bynum played.

And according to you, our team is surrounded by phenomenal talent. I mean, Pau, Bynum, Sasha, Farmar, Fisher... that's just AMAZING, right? Who do you think leads the Lakers in assists?

you forgot Lamar Odom. I'm just saying CP3 is robbed if Kobe wins, this ain't the lifetime achievement award. That's when they retired yourjersey on the ceiling.

Lakers fans lack brain cells like that guy Kidzskillz.
roll.gif
at the pot calling the kettle black
what i said is not true?

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

rocboys:

How about Gasol? 27

And according to you, our team is surrounded by phenomenal talent. I mean, Pau, Bynum, Sasha, Farmar, Fisher... that's just AMAZING, right? Who do you think leads the Lakers in assists?
To top that off Kwame Brown was on the team and even he was injured
laugh.gif

rocboys:
you forgot Lamar Odom. I'm just saying CP3 is robbed if Kobe wins, this ain't the lifetime achievement award. That's when they retired your jersey on the ceiling.
And anyone can do the same thing about CP3.

"He shouldn't win it, because he has Peja, Chandler, and West. If he wins it with those guys on his team, Kobe was robbed."

Who the heck do you think Jordan had on his team when he was winning MVPs? You think it was Jordan and 11 Dickie Simpkins?
laugh.gif

Me? I don't care who wins it. I hope that it's either Paul or Kobe, because those two are far more deservingthan anyone else, in my opinion.

But to say that if Kobe wins it, Paul is being robbed is freaking ridiculous. And to say that if Paul wins it, Kobe is being robbed is freaking ridiculous.

I didnt know you could change your vote during the playoffs. I was watching nba tv and peter vescey said he voted for kobe but then he saw the hornets playoffgame 1 and called the league and changed his vote.

^ You better have seen wrong, or he better have been joking.

If that's true, then THAT is a freaking shame. How is he going to... man, if you heard right, then add that to the list of reason why the award is not asrevered as it once was.

The MVP is for the regular season....

Lord...if that man chaged his vote over a playoff game this award is a joke.

The players need to vote.

How about the past mvp's for the last 50 years vote?

Back
Top Bottom