Official NBA Finals Game 4: 06/11 Los Angeles Lakers @ Orlando Magic 6:00PM PST ABC

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

Scott Foster was looking like "I'm bout to get my legs broken by Stern and Big Guido"

7501594a66c1e6d427b9b11b9886352c82dc1e0.jpg

im going to quote myself from earlier:

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

damn you see the ref calling all the fouls on the lakers after fishers 3 in ot. *%@*#$%@@$#$ was looking all sad and shaking his head. that piece of $+*+
smh.gif

I wonder if ORL is going to bring the little girl back to sing the national anthem on Sunday?

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by JsindaA

uh....how does three inches play into this???? I'm genuinely confused

WTH do you mean? LeBron is 6'9. If 3 inches wasn't a big deal that would mean that someone who was 7'0 (three inches taller than LeBron) who averaged the same amount assists as LeBron shouldn't be getting any extra recognition for his assists numbers over LeBron??
I'm trying to understand how these 3 inches have anything to do with passing ability...like there is 0 correlation. So....I'm stillconfused

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

I wonder if ORL is going to bring the little girl back to sing the national anthem on Sunday?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
They were just talking about this on ATH. They said the Magic are 7-0 with hersinging. WHT! Bring her back.

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

I just don't get where everyone comes with the hate about Kobe's stat line... No it's not amazing but take a look at this...

98 NBA finals.

Game 6 (MJ's real last game)

[table][tr][th=""]Starters[/th] [th=""]MP[/th] [th=""]FG[/th] [th=""]FGA[/th] [th=""]FG%[/th] [th=""]3P[/th] [th=""]3PA[/th] [th=""]3P%[/th] [th=""]FT[/th] [th=""]FTA[/th] [th=""]FT%[/th] [th=""]ORB[/th] [th=""]DRB[/th] [th=""]TRB[/th] [th=""]AST[/th] [th=""]STL[/th] [th=""]BLK[/th] [th=""]TOV[/th] [th=""]PF[/th] [th=""]PTS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Michael Jordan[/td] [td]44[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]35[/td] [td].429[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]7[/td] [td].429[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]15[/td] [td].800[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]45[/td] [/tr][/table]
Game 5 (Bulls at home)

[table][tr][th=""]Starters[/th] [th=""]MP[/th] [th=""]FG[/th] [th=""]FGA[/th] [th=""]FG%[/th] [th=""]3P[/th] [th=""]3PA[/th] [th=""]3P%[/th] [th=""]FT[/th] [th=""]FTA[/th] [th=""]FT%[/th] [th=""]ORB[/th] [th=""]DRB[/th] [th=""]TRB[/th] [th=""]AST[/th] [th=""]STL[/th] [th=""]BLK[/th] [th=""]TOV[/th] [th=""]PF[/th] [th=""]PTS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Michael Jordan[/td] [td]45[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]26[/td] [td].346[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td].000[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]11[/td] [td].909[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]28
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Game 2 (Bulls Win)

[table][tr][th=""]Starters[/th] [th=""]MP[/th] [th=""]FG[/th] [th=""]FGA[/th] [th=""]FG%[/th] [th=""]3P[/th] [th=""]3PA[/th] [th=""]3P%[/th] [th=""]FT[/th] [th=""]FTA[/th] [th=""]FT%[/th] [th=""]ORB[/th] [th=""]DRB[/th] [th=""]TRB[/th] [th=""]AST[/th] [th=""]STL[/th] [th=""]BLK[/th] [th=""]TOV[/th] [th=""]PF[/th] [th=""]PTS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Michael Jordan[/td] [td]40[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]33[/td] [td].424[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td].000[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]10[/td] [td].900[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]37
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Damn, and thay say Kobe is a ball hog.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FinesseSosa

Why is Lebron still being brought up? i don't even understand anything he has to do with these games?
roll.gif

It was my fault, not any Cavs fans, it was me. My bad.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
They were just talking about this on ATH. They said the Magic are 7-0 with her singing. WHT! Bring her back.

what did they say?

HybridSoldier23 wrote:
I just don't get where everyone comes with the hate about Kobe's stat line... No it's not amazing but take a look at this...

98 NBA finals.

Game 6 (MJ's real last game)

[table][tr][th=""]Starters[/th] [th=""]MP[/th] [th=""]FG[/th] [th=""]FGA[/th] [th=""]FG%[/th] [th=""]3P[/th] [th=""]3PA[/th] [th=""]3P%[/th] [th=""]FT[/th] [th=""]FTA[/th] [th=""]FT%[/th] [th=""]ORB[/th] [th=""]DRB[/th] [th=""]TRB[/th] [th=""]AST[/th] [th=""]STL[/th] [th=""]BLK[/th] [th=""]TOV[/th] [th=""]PF[/th] [th=""]PTS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Michael Jordan[/td] [td]44[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]35[/td] [td].429[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]7[/td] [td].429[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]15[/td] [td].800[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]45[/td] [/tr][/table]
Game 5 (Bulls at home)

[table][tr][th=""]Starters[/th] [th=""]MP[/th] [th=""]FG[/th] [th=""]FGA[/th] [th=""]FG%[/th] [th=""]3P[/th] [th=""]3PA[/th] [th=""]3P%[/th] [th=""]FT[/th] [th=""]FTA[/th] [th=""]FT%[/th] [th=""]ORB[/th] [th=""]DRB[/th] [th=""]TRB[/th] [th=""]AST[/th] [th=""]STL[/th] [th=""]BLK[/th] [th=""]TOV[/th] [th=""]PF[/th] [th=""]PTS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Michael Jordan[/td] [td]45[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]26[/td] [td].346[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td].000[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]11[/td] [td].909[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]28
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Game 2 (Bulls Win)

[table][tr][th=""]Starters[/th] [th=""]MP[/th] [th=""]FG[/th] [th=""]FGA[/th] [th=""]FG%[/th] [th=""]3P[/th] [th=""]3PA[/th] [th=""]3P%[/th] [th=""]FT[/th] [th=""]FTA[/th] [th=""]FT%[/th] [th=""]ORB[/th] [th=""]DRB[/th] [th=""]TRB[/th] [th=""]AST[/th] [th=""]STL[/th] [th=""]BLK[/th] [th=""]TOV[/th] [th=""]PF[/th] [th=""]PTS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Michael Jordan[/td] [td]40[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]33[/td] [td].424[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td].000[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]10[/td] [td].900[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]37
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Well....

The stat line is eye raising but it won't matter to some people. (no names)

They just believe what they want to believe.

No matter what stats you bring in they can find other stats to discredit Kobe and that's their right.

At the end of the day Kobe could be a 4 time champion and get his first finals MVP in 2 days.

If the Lakers win the Chip I don't care what he does out there. We got the win and that's all that matters.

who cares, kobe can go 0-40 for all i care, as long as we win another chip, we can be called the softest, must non-deserving team. i do not give a damn. wewon, we get the trophy and the rings. and all the other teams are salty. that is whats up.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Burns1923:
A deliberate elbow to the face is not part of the play.

Kobe threw it KNOWING they would have the balls to call it and, whaddya know, they didn't.

Laker fans, enjoy your *championship.

*received favorable officiating throughout 2009 NBA playoffs.
Because I know your history on here, I'm going to go ahead and assume that you have NOOOOOO PROOOOBLEM with all of the consistently missed calls on the Magic, like Dwight's endless pushing in the lane, Hedo constantly leading with his off-arm and never getting called for it, or Rafer's traveling.

Now, do I have a problem with those things? Not at all. I'm not bringing them up because I have a problem with them. I'm bringing them up to make the point (for the millionth time) that NBA refs are consistently worthless, so there's no need to use the refs as a reason to discredit teams who win, unless things are REALLY Bad out of hand, like the 2006 Finals.

And if you think this is anything like the 2006, you're delusional. They shot 37 free throws to our 20... ALMOST twice as much as we did.
laugh.gif

Gm. 1: 21-29 vs. 15-18
Gm. 2: 20-27 vs. 24-28
Gm. 3: 23-30 vs. 16-26
Gm. 4: 22-37 vs. 15-20
TOTAL: 86-123 vs. 70-92

If the Magic make ONE of the FIFTEEN FREE THROWS THEY MISSED last night, there is no overtime and we're all tied up 2-2.

Sent to the line for THIRTY-SEVEN freebies and the other team shoots TWENTY... almost half... and you're saying the refs favored the team that shot nearly half as many free throws?

And that's not even mentioning the fact that, in the 4th quarter, the Magic shot 20 free throws; the Lakers shot none.
laugh.gif

But the Lakers received favorable officiating. Because Kobe wasn't called for an offensive foul.
roll.gif
Nevermind the 20-0 free throws in the 4th. Nevermind the 37-20 free throws for the whole game. Nevermind Hedo's off-arm never getting called, Dwight getting away with pushing, or Rafer's walks.

Kobe didn't get called for an offensive, so the Lakers are receiving favorable officiating.

You know, all you Laker haters constantly talking about Laker fans complaining about the refs when we lose, where are you guys at when we win and someone says it's because of the officiating?

Oh wait, you're the ones saying it; that's where you are. Funny how that works out.

And again, just for the record, I have ZERO PROBLEM with the Magic getting away with things. We get shafted on calls, and we get away with calls. It happens.

What history is that? Please share.

My contention that the Lakers receive favorable officiating, even in this age of awful officiating, applies to the entire playoffs. And the argument is not"Well, the Magic got this call and this call so a missed call here or there is ok", by the way. And it's not the "This is comparable to the2006 Finals", either (who said that? Nothing matches that debacle.)

The argument - my argument - is that Kobe got away with an offensive foul with that elbow to Nelson's jaw. Whether or not it was intentional isirrelevant; the contact was made. The reason I bring up this specific foul, and not 1 other foul of the dozens called and not called, is because of theresulting play - Fisher's game-tying 3 - and its impact on the game. Offensive foul called - no Kobe pass - no Fisher 3 - Magic possession.

Now look at the frame around this argument. Why did Kobe not get called for the elbow?

Could it have been the refs just missed it? Unlikely but possible. Could it have been that the refs thought it was a no-call? If they believed it was partof the play (a stretch, in my view), yeah, sure. Could it have been that the refs are not going to make any call against a) Kobe Bryant and b) his Lakerteammates in a playoff game - the Finals, no less - because the Lakers are given the benefit of the doubt on most potentially controversial calls? Hmm...I'll choooose... door number 3!!

Again, the argument is:

Lakers get benefit-of-the doubt calls in late game, potentially-controversial moments more times than not.

In my view, the elbow to Nelson's jaw was one of those times. Now say Fisher ends up missing that game-tying three after the Kobe elbow and the Magic holdon for the win in regulation. You might be tempted to say, "Hey! Nobody would be bringing that elbow up if the Magic hadn't lost!"

Other people might not bring it up. I still would. And I would because that was a terribly missed call that would've been made more easily on any otherplayer not named Kobe Bryant (or LeBron James). It just would've.

Ah, but what's the point of pointing it out anyway, right? The Lakers are up 3-1 and, understandably, Laker fans wish to celebrate and obviously havelittle to no patience for someone questioning a potentially game changing call that potentially would've prevented a Laker win.

Believe me, I know that the refs are awful. I know that calls are wrongly missed and wrongly made at all points throughout the game.

I'm speaking as a basketball fan who doesn't like seeing those wrongly missed and wrongly made calls help decide games. If there's a call, callit. Even if it's on a superduperlooperstar like Kobe Bryant in the final seconds of a Finals game.

That is all.

(Feel free to insert the Haters Gonna Hate gif. I'll laugh, and you'll laugh, and everybody will get a kick out of it.)
Hey, caped crusader, please draw me a picture and tell me how TWENTY FREE THROWS TO ZERO IN THE 4TH AND OT is favorable for the Lakers? And remember, we had the zero, not the 20. image

Oh I know, the refs made it up to us by giving us a call with 3 seconds left in OT. So we're even huh?

For those that call out Laker fans callin out haters, ya'll should be in here tellin Burns to shut the hell up. He is clearly defining "hater" for all those that are rooting against us blind as hell.

If the game was even steven all the way thru and Kobe got away with the elbow, I'd listen to you, but since it was FAAAAAAAAARRRRR from even, any argument about one call is pure hate, and nothing more.

laugh.gif
Come on, CP. *sigh*

There really is no medium setting on your instigating personality, is there? I mean, you're either totally cool or totally overbearing.

I can dig it, though.

Yes, yes, anyone who questions anything remotely related to the Los Angeles Lakers is a "hater". We know.

I'm just saying it'd be nice if you'd, at least every once it awhile, handle a conversation as a civil, even-mannered adult, and not a douche.

I completely understand you love the Lakers. Established. But my goodness, chill with the trying to rip people to shreds whenever they state something youdon't agree with. I can't imagine that works in life away from the computer screen.

^ Your first point was on my comment on your history, which I won't get into, as it's irrelevant to the argument; I shouldn't have brought it up. Iwas referring to yor history of hating the Lakerss, but that's neither here nor there.

One of your final statements to me was about posting a 'Haters Gonna Hate' gif; I hate beig called a Kobe hater when I'm making a valid argument,so I won't patronize you in the same manner by dismissing your argument for a witty gif.

Now on to your argument: it seems that the only way you could have been satisfied in this situation would have been for Kobe to have been called for a foul,mainly because of the resulting play (you said it yourself: "The reason I bring up this specific foul, and not 1 other foul of the dozens called and notcalled, is because of the resulting play - Fisher's game-tying 3 - and its impact on the game. Offensive foul called - no Kobe pass - no Fisher 3 - Magicpossession."). Why would a ref make a call based on the resulting play? Unless he's psychic, he can't know the resulting play in most situations.

A ref can't make a call based on what he knows to be the resulting play; that's my first point.

Second, you said that, more often than not, Lakers weren't getting called for fouls in late-game situations. I can't speak for the history of thefranchise, and that should be irrelevant anyways. I won't speak for the other games of the series, because they're irrelevant to this thread. But inGame 4, only Magic were sent to the FT line in the 4th quarter. The Magic weren't over the foul limit until like a minute left in regulation; theLakers were over the limit somewhere at he beginning of the 4th.

Another point I have is this: you say that you would still have complained about the Kobe elbow even if the Lakers lost ("Other people might not bring itup. I still would."). I have a feeling that what you mean is that if the LAKERS were the recipients of a missed call and still lost, you would still bringit up. If the Magic were the recipient of a missed call (A Hedo push-off with his off-arm, a Dwight shove in th lane leading to an uncontested dunk), I have afeeling you would let that go. If it happened. Which it didn't, so we'll never know. Because that definitely didn't happen. Definitely not. But ifit did... which it definitely didn't... I have a feeling you wouldn't have a problem with that missed call. It's just too bad the Magic weren'tthe recipients of any missed calls late in the game, because I'd love to see what the basketball purist in you would have to say. If only that hadhappened.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Now on to your argument: it seems that the only way you could have been satisfied in this situation would have been for Kobe to have been called for a foul, mainly because of the resulting play (you said it yourself: "The reason I bring up this specific foul, and not 1 other foul of the dozens called and not called, is because of the resulting play - Fisher's game-tying 3 - and its impact on the game. Offensive foul called - no Kobe pass - no Fisher 3 - Magic possession."). Why would a ref make a call based on the resulting play? Unless he's psychic, he can't know the resulting play in most situations.

A ref can't make a call based on what he knows to be the resulting play; that's my first point.

Another point I have is this: you say that you would still have complained about the Kobe elbow even if the Lakers lost ("Other people might not bring it up. I still would."). I have a feeling that what you mean is that if the LAKERS were the recipients of a missed call and still lost, you would still bring it up. If the Magic were the recipient of a missed call (A Hedo push-off with his off-arm, a Dwight shove in th lane leading to an uncontested dunk), I have a feeling you would let that go. If it happened. Which it didn't, so we'll never know. Because that definitely didn't happen. Definitely not. But if it did... which it definitely didn't... I have a feeling you wouldn't have a problem with that missed call. It's just too bad the Magic weren't the recipients of any missed calls late in the game, because I'd love to see what the basketball purist in you would have to say. If only that had happened.

First, I hadn't any idea that I had established some sort of a Laker Hater track record and that as a result of said "track record", I had beentacitly labeled a Laker Hater.

Of course the refs couldn't have known Fisher would be the recipient of the pass and hit that 3. I didn't indicate that. I'm saying that missedcalls can have a great impact on a game. Kobe could've very well thrown the ball into the backcourt for a turnover or been stripped. My point is thatsome missed calls will have a spotlight on them when plays that happen after the missed call - plays that would never happen had the call been made - end upswinging the game in one or the other team's favor. The missed (in my opinion) Kobe call illustrates how a team can be rewarded (via an executed play theyprobably shouldn't have had the opportunity to) when the officiating doesn't do an even job. Furthermore, when the team in question is the LA Lakers -a top 5 sports franchise of all-time worldwide, top 2 in the league itself (w/ Celtics), features arguably greatest player in the world, has millions of fansworldwide, and generates money for various enterprises like no other sports franchise, I tend to think the refs feel the weight of that, voluntarily andpossibly involuntarily, at times.

And yes, in the games I watch, when there are bad calls made, I acknowledge them. I'm a basketball fan first and foremost, and nothing angers me more inthe game of basketball than bad officiating. When a team benefits from a no-call, I don't like it, even if it's my team or teams I would like to seewin.

(I applaud your pedantic tone in your final paragraph. Good show, sir.
wink.gif
)

I definitely didn't mean to come off as anything offensive or obtuse. Sarcastic, in jest? I made an effort, sink or swim. But pedantic?

Actually... I'm going to take the high road here, and say that I'm not completely positive I even know the proper usage of the word.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif
I thinkit's one of those words... at least for this wor, this time, for me... it's like, I thought I new what it meant at firt, then second-guessed myself andthought 'Wait... what is 'pedantic', actually?'

laugh.gif

I always thought it meant... like... almost... 'patronizing', in a sense, like... talking down to a person. An example of what I thought'pedantic' to be would be if I were talking down to someone who I thought should know basic math and he watched me buy something for $.50 that I paidfor with a dollar, then asked how much change I got back. 'Pedantic', I thought, before second-guessing myself, would be if I were to answer him like'Well, I had a dollar... and... the item was fifty cents... soooooo... a dollar minus fifty cents... is... fifty cents... meaning... I have... fiftycents.' Like, sarcasm + patronizing + rude.

If I'm right, my apologies for coming off as rude and patronizing, but I was definitely intending to be sarcastic.
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom