Official NBA ELITE 11 Thread Vol. Authentic Presentation :

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

laugh.gif
It's a shame, it's so bad. Whatever happened to testing something before you release it?
#*#
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

From an EA Dev:

[table]
OK, so here's the straight goods. I was debating whether or not to post this, but I think the Live fans who are disappointed deserve an explanation as to why we changed direction like we did.

This is for guys like %$%, Pared, Behindshadows, Court_vision, 23 and anyone else who has supported Live over the years and feel let down or betrayed by the changes made in Elite.

This is not an apology, but an explanation, and explanation you deserve.

It's no secret that Live was losing market share to 2K. And despite the fact that Live 10 was critically well received, the market share did not reflect that.

But that was not the reason for the change.

Now this is the part sim fans on this forum are going to have a hard time hearing. But I think you deserve the honest truth.

The basketball category as a whole, ie the number of people who buy either Live OR 2K has been shrinking.

That is the number one reason for the change in direction.

If the market for basketball games was healthy and growing, or even maintaining a healthy number, we'd be battling toe to toe with the market leader trying to win back market share.

But the truth is that people have been leaving basketball games behind. There is certainly a healthy hard core base of fans here, and the community is stronger than ever before.

But the numbers are shrinking. That is an undeniable fact.

Now look at it from EA's standpoint. Live was losing market share in a shrinking market.

That is not a good position to be in. Something had to change. We not only needed to grow market share, but we needed to grow the market.

The hard core sim gamer obviously likes 2K quite a bit. But as successful as they are, what 2K is doing is not enough to grow the market.

So we needed to try something different. Something innovative. Something to bring back fans who'd left, and appeal to basketball fans who don't play video games.

That is where the emphasis on control and a dynamic, unpredictable gameplay experience came from.

Focus on fun and control, to draw in the people who play drop in at the Y and dream about competing in the NBA, but don't play basketball games.

Given the time constraints, we had to let the visuals suffer to accomplish our goals.

We feel we succeeded. The game is a ton of fun to play.

Would we have liked to have beautiful visuals as well? Yes of course, but we had to make some hard choices.

And we stand by them.

What does that mean for the sim gamer? Are we leaving you behind?

No, not at all.

We feel the hardcore sim gamer is vital to the future success of Elite. No question about it. It's the solid foundation the market is built on.

But we had to grow that market and try something new.

The response so far on this forum has been much more negative that I would have liked. I'm not going to lie.

I was hoping to hear people say things like "well it doesn't look as good, but man it really represents the sport well. It feels more like I'm playing real life basketball than any other game, and it's FUN".

I still think that sentiment will prevail, but a lot of long time fans feel let down.

And I understand why.

But hopefully this gives you a better understanding of why we focused on what we did.

Everyone knows that competition is good for everyone, and we're trying as hard as we can to make the basketball market as healthy as possible so you can continue to enjoy competing franchises for years to come.

That may mean we didn't deliver everything you (the sim gamer) wanted in Elite, but we did deliver something fantastic.

And if you take the time to understand and appreciate the depth of the raw basketball skill based gameplay, I can promis you that you'll have a ton of fun testing your skills against your friends and opponents online.
[/table]

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

From an EA Dev:

[table]
OK, so here's the straight goods. I was debating whether or not to post this, but I think the Live fans who are disappointed deserve an explanation as to why we changed direction like we did.

This is for guys like %$%, Pared, Behindshadows, Court_vision, 23 and anyone else who has supported Live over the years and feel let down or betrayed by the changes made in Elite.

It's no secret that Live was losing market share to 2K. And despite the fact that Live 10 was critically well received, the market share did not reflect that.

Now this is the part sim fans on this forum are going to have a hard time hearing. But I think you deserve the honest truth.

The basketball category as a whole, ie the number of people who buy either Live OR 2K has been shrinking.

If the market for basketball games was healthy and growing, or even maintaining a healthy number, we'd be battling toe to toe with the market leader trying to win back market share.

But the truth is that people have been leaving basketball games behind. There is certainly a healthy hard core base of fans here, and the community is stronger than ever before.

Now look at it from EA's standpoint. Live was losing market share in a shrinking market.

That is not a good position to be in. Something had to change. We not only needed to grow market share, but we needed to grow the market.

The hard core sim gamer obviously likes 2K quite a bit. But as successful as they are, what 2K is doing is not enough to grow the market.

So we needed to try something different. Something innovative. Something to bring back fans who'd left, and appeal to basketball fans who don't play video games.

That is where the emphasis on control and a dynamic, unpredictable gameplay experience came from.

Focus on fun and control, to draw in the people who play drop in at the Y and dream about competing in the NBA, but don't play basketball games.

Given the time constraints, we had to let the visuals suffer to accomplish our goals.

Would we have liked to have beautiful visuals as well? Yes of course, but we had to make some hard choices.

And we stand by them.

No, not at all.

We feel the hardcore sim gamer is vital to the future success of Elite. No question about it. It's the solid foundation the market is built on.

The response so far on this forum has been much more negative that I would have liked. I'm not going to lie.

I was hoping to hear people say things like "well it doesn't look as good, but man it really represents the sport well. It feels more like I'm playing real life basketball than any other game, and it's FUN".

I still think that sentiment will prevail, but a lot of long time fans feel let down.

And I understand why.

But hopefully this gives you a better understanding of why we focused on what we did.

Everyone knows that competition is good for everyone, and we're trying as hard as we can to make the basketball market as healthy as possible so you can continue to enjoy competing franchises for years to come.

That may mean we didn't deliver everything you (the sim gamer) wanted in Elite, but we did deliver something fantastic.

And if you take the time to understand and appreciate the depth of the raw basketball skill based gameplay, I can promis you that you'll have a ton of fun testing your skills against your friends and opponents online.
[/table]

roll.gif
\not sure if serious
roll.gif

The game is fun to play. It just isn't as sim as people expected. I think it's something they could really build upon.

If EA buys the exclusive NBA License like they did with Madden, I'm done with bball games for good. They basically did an monopoly with football and didn't open up the opportunity for competition, which is why madden sucks year after year.

Originally Posted by Informerx

If EA buys the exclusive NBA License like they did with Madden, I'm done with bball games for good. They basically did an monopoly with football and didn't open up the opportunity for competition, which is why madden sucks year after year.

sick.gif
dont even mention that.. you know theyre contemplating it 
grin.gif
i still have( & play) NFL2K5 to this day

Originally Posted by windycity7

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

From an EA Dev:

[table]

And we stand by them.

No, not at all.

And I understand why.

[/table]

roll.gif
\ not sure if serious
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
At the "chain letter" style response
laugh.gif

He said all that just to say "We Suck"

its also funny to me that he brings up competition alot.... yet they didnt want competition with 2K, on the NFL tip.

That whole letter is a white flag.... and the game hasnt even came out yet
roll.gif

This game has fail written all over it and it hasn't even dropped yet
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

Developers already making excuses cause they know they put out a %%!# game
30t6p3b.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Informerx

tired.gif

I'm almost positive the NBA said a couple years ago that they aren't going the exclusivity route ala the NFL, but you never know.

I think nba declined on their offer when they tried, and I'm glad they did competition makes video games better...wish the nfl didnt bite on madden...+%%! is trash

i dont even see the reason why 2k needs to get the exclusive contract anyways
im assuming they have most of the nba game sales already, they dont need to spend more money on getting the exclusivity  contract

I mean doesn't the demo get tested at all? ...get real opinions from people outside of EA?

They did it to themselves and i actually feel sad about it.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

The EA pillar of excuses didn't address the gameplay glitches.

im sure it would be something like:

Given the time constraints, we had to let the visuals accuracy and believability suffer to accomplish our goals.

which is why you see kg dunking from the foul line and bynum jumping with him
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom