Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gasol was not a throw in.

He had been known within the Grizzlies organization and was the ACB MVP (second best league in the world behind the NBA) that year.

Someday, people will get this.
i want to believe you.... But I feel like you are saying this after the fact, if you know what I mean.

so Richard Jefferson is a great player and deserves to be traded for a star? :rolleyes
almost as whack as the folks saying Avery Bradley and sully for DMC :rofl:

I get what you sayin, but just think in complete general terms. You takin a 20 year old 7 footer, knowing first damn well how skilled his brother was, as he was your player, one would assume they saw some Marc, don'tcha think?

Lemme ask you this, if the Grizz didn't know nothin about him, like everyone else, why would they ask for him? Just to get Pau's brother, so they can recycle Gasol jersey's in Memphis? They got a rookie PG, they got an expiring contract, they got additional draft picks, WHY would they ask for the 20 year old 7 footer? You don't think they knew? They had no idea? You really believe that? We just happened to say here, you can have a free 7 footer?

They knew damn well who Marc Gasol was. Certainly they got a little lucky at how good he has gotten. I'm not saying he was blue chip by any means, but every team should feel "they" can coach a player up, or tap into his skillset, etc. In this case, they were right. But just to go out on a limb, given our record with 7 footer in our history, Ima say that the Lakers may have developed Mr. Gasol as well had we kept him. Call that a hunch.

After the fact, of course. :wink:

He had been known within the Grizzlies organization and was the ACB MVP (second best league in the world behind the NBA) that year.

:rolleyes

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD8IvHMtB2w

$tern KNOWS. :smh:
Just curious, what are your thoughts on the Richard Jefferson trade? You know the trade that saw the Spurs take advantage of the small market Bucks with the Kurt Thomas, Bruce Bowen and Fab Oberto poo-poo platter?

Happy New Years everyone.

Aye, you can't ask him basketball questions, he don't know the answer. You have to ask him troll questions, or speak in gifs. Those things he can speak on, not anything about the actual game or how things work in the NBA. Notice how he plow thru here quick to talk **** about something, but ask him a legit question and can't find him for miles. Like when you asked about the Spurs runnin the Suns system, not a word. He ain't speak a word. Nothing. Cuz he ain't know. But he know this real good. go spurs go!!!!!! That's the extent of his knowledge, that and gifs. :lol:

I hated the RJ trade cause I hated RJ.

What's funny however was that even after he failed horribly with you guys, and still got paid by you, you then dumped him on another small market squad, effectively bending over 2 different teams with the same guy. Kudos. :lol:

Wish the Rockets would just roll with their alternates instead of those crappy dated uniforms

Last edited:
I hated the RJ trade cause I hated RJ.

What's funny however was that even after he failed horribly with you guys, and still got paid by you, you then dumped him on another small market squad, effectively bending over 2 different teams with the same guy. Kudos.
laugh.gif
Yeah IDK what Golden State was thinking, I'm just glad we got rid of him. I hated seeing him on the floor, absolutely clueless out there. The worst is when theres a guy on your team that you hate, you have to cheer for him cause the team is more important but everytime he touches the ball you get mad

I actually think Conley is fine as is. By the eye test, it's the Z-Bo and Gay dynamic. They can play together, but it's just not really optimal for the Grizzlies.
]

I came in here to talk about this offense.

There are two things hurting our offense. The fact that we like to pound it in the paint ALL THE TIME and we don't have any other game plan if it doesn't work. The offense needs an overhaul. We have one of the quickest PG's in the league, one of the most athletic finishers in the game and a bunch of other athletes. If Rudy is our max guy, why not create an offense that benefits him rather than hinder him? Create an offense that takes advantage of his transition abilities and more spacing that allows slashing lanes to the basket.

Hollins is a good coach, but I'm not sure if the team needs to move ZBO for another dynamic wing player and an athletic shot blocking big (something like Ellis and Sanders) to FORCE Hollins to change the offense or what. I don't think firing Hollins is the smart thing to do, which some Grizz fans think it is. I just think we need more of an uptempo offense. Grit n Grind is fine and we seem to be holding teams in the 80's, low 90's and even 70's sometime. But, got damn, we need to start putting up some shots and stop playing ZBO ball.

Conley isn't the problem. Conley is doing what he's told. I don't know why people find this so hard to believe. Right now, Conley isn't playing well and that's his problem. The offense is a coaching problem that directly relates to pounding it in the paint all game long.

Last edited:
I actually think Conley is fine as is. By the eye test, it's the Z-Bo and Gay dynamic. They can play together, but it's just not really optimal for the Grizzlies.
]

I came in here to talk about this offense.

There are two things hurting our offense. The fact that we like to pound it in the paint ALL THE TIME and we don't have any other game plan if it doesn't work. The offense needs an overhaul. We have one of the quickest PG's in the league, one of the most athletic finishers in the game and a bunch of other athletes. If Rudy is our max guy, why not create an offense that benefits him rather than hinder him? Create an offense that takes advantage of his transition abilities and more spacing that allows slashing lanes to the basket.

Hollins is a good coach, but I'm not sure if the team needs to move ZBO for another dynamic wing player and an athletic shot blocking big (something like Ellis and Sanders) to FORCE Hollins to change the offense or what. I don't think firing Hollins is the smart thing to do, which some Grizz fans think it is. I just think we need more of an uptempo offense. Grit n Grind is fine and we seem to be holding teams in the 80's, low 90's and even 70's sometime. But, got damn, we need to start putting up some shots and stop playing ZBO ball.

Conley isn't the problem. Conley is doing what he's told. I don't know why people find this so hard to believe. Right now, Conley isn't playing well and that's his problem. The offense is a coaching problem that directly relates to pounding it in the paint all game long.
That would be the greatest move theyve made since the Pau trade. Cant be too sure how Monta and Gay would co exist seeing as how theyre the same type of player but my gut tells me that they would flourish next to each other

just remember skip capping off the lakers victory with a dribbling exhibition on sasha vujacic and they were getting in one anothers face LOL
was it the Celtics that ended it?

Yup, the C's ended the streak.

They DEMOLISHED them might I add. I was pretty upset lol.

The clippers might be able to pass their record. Their somewhat healthier, definitely deeper, However they play Golden State twice, which is more of a threat than the Lakers to the LACs.

That would be the greatest move theyve made since the Pau trade. Cant be too sure how Monta and Gay would co exist seeing as how theyre the same type of player but my gut tells me that they would flourish next to each other

Gay is a player thats better suited on the block. Moving ZBO and TA out of the starting lineup would allow him to operate with more spacing. That's all he needs. The reason why the offense didn't change much last season with ZBO out was due to the fact we got another big man that likes to score the basketball and is slow in Speights. We need more athleticism, defense and shot blocking in our frontcourt and more scoring in our backcourt.

Monta would give us a guy that create his own shot on the perimeter and can relieve Conley of some of the ball handling duties. Conley is too good of a 3 point shooter to not spot up more often. I just don't know if Milwaukee would be willing to give up Sanders.

BTW, Milwaukee did call the Grizz about ZBO earlier this season. :nerd: I'm sure they put Monta in the deal and one of their thousands of PF's. I'm just not sure which one it was (maybe Udoh or Sanders).

My ideal move would be:

Ellis, Sanders & Dunleavy or LRMA for ZBO, TA, Selby.

We get under the tax, forces Lionel to let the guys play more uptempo, keep our some defensive mentality, but not as predictable offensively, and we get something for TA before we let him walk away for nothing in the offseason.

And P, I don't understand why you don't think adding more perimeter scoring and athleticism/shot blocking in the frontcourt won't help this team out. The team can win with a lot of games with either Rudy or ZBO. The Grizzlies need better playmaking/shooting and athleticism up front. If you trade Zach for someone like Ellis, Tyreke or some available SG, we know the offense will change and we would have better scoring.

Trading Rudy away for something like a shooter or a defender, the offense will remain the same because its featured for ZBO to shine. Someone like Iguodala, Evans, Ellis next to Rudy without two bigs clogging the lane would do this team some good. They've been debating this on the Grizz forums for a while and most people realize this. Its not that ZBO isn't doing his job, its that Hollins isn't doing his by going away from the ZBO isolation ball so much and putting Rudy on the block more.

So, at the end of the day, do you trade ZBO for a more dynamic SG or do you fire the coach that has improved the teams record every single season he's been here? Our offense as is will not help us win a championship.

Last edited:
Horrendous is more like it.
You think? It's the more likely of the scenarios but I feel like it could work for some reason, especially if they play small and move Rudy to the 4. Conley, Ellis, Allen, Gay, and Gasol

Gay is a player thats better suited on the block. Moving ZBO and TA out of the starting lineup would allow him to operate with more spacing. That's all he needs. The reason why the offense didn't change much last season with ZBO out was due to the fact we got another big man that likes to score the basketball and is slow in Speights. We need more athleticism, defense and shot blocking in our frontcourt and more scoring in our backcourt.

Monta would give us a guy that create his own shot on the perimeter and can relieve Conley of some of the ball handling duties. Conley is too good of a 3 point shooter to not spot up more often. I just don't know if Milwaukee would be willing to give up Sanders.

BTW, Milwaukee did call the Grizz about ZBO earlier this season. :nerd: I'm sure they put Monta in the deal and one of their thousands of PF's. I'm just not sure which one it was (maybe Udoh or Sanders).

My ideal move would be:

Ellis, Sanders & Dunleavy or LRMA for ZBO, TA, Selby.

We get under the tax, forces Lionel to let the guys play more uptempo, keep our some defensive mentality, but not as predictable offensively, and we get something for TA before we let him walk away for nothing in the offseason.
I would start Allen more than likely, definitely finish with him but other than that I am in total agreement.

Last edited:

Someday, people will get this.
i want to believe you.... But I feel like you are saying this after the fact, if you know what I mean.
I get what you sayin, but just think in complete general terms. You takin a 20 year old 7 footer, knowing first damn well how skilled his brother was, as he was your player, one would assume they saw some Marc, don'tcha think?

Lemme ask you this, if the Grizz didn't know nothin about him, like everyone else, why would they ask for him? Just to get Pau's brother, so they can recycle Gasol jersey's in Memphis? They got a rookie PG, they got an expiring contract, they got additional draft picks, WHY would they ask for the 20 year old 7 footer? You don't think they knew? They had no idea? You really believe that? We just happened to say here, you can have a free 7 footer?

They knew damn well who Marc Gasol was. Certainly they got a little lucky at how good he has gotten. I'm not saying he was blue chip by any means, but every team should feel "they" can coach a player up, or tap into his skillset, etc. In this case, they were right. But just to go out on a limb, given our record with 7 footer in our history, Ima say that the Lakers may have developed Mr. Gasol as well had we kept him. Call that a hunch.

After the fact, of course.
wink.gif
I feel you, he had all the accolades and was on the scene in the Espanola league, plus he grew up in Memphis and played HS ball there; so I'm sure the Grizz already had their eye on him at an early age. I think the Lakers picking him late in the 2nd round was more of a flier than anything, and him being thrown into the Pau deal was more of the Grizz wanting to take a stab at him.

I don't know, maybe P hasn't watched as many Grizz games this season as he use to :lol: .

Hollins is a good coach, stubborn, but good. The only way to force his hand into changing the offense up a little is by moving the guy he features in the current offense that stops movement and makes your most dynamic player less useful. We run the offense through Gasol anyway and that's why our play doesn't miss a beat when ZBO or Rudy goes out.

On top of the fact, I really would like to see what Marc could do with Sanders.

Also, I'm not saying that the inside/out attack doesn't work. But, scouts and teams are really catching on to this. We are running the exact same players, same iso's, etc. Players know how to get ZBO out of his position now on the block and athletic bigs know they can just block ZBO's shot when needed :lol: . Hollins doesn't know how to adjust and balance the attack of going inside, then maybe using his perimeter players more. Its inside,inside,inside,inside..

If we used ZBO more in the garbage man role like we were using earlier in the season (when we had our best start), things would be ok. ZBO was averaging around 12 shots a game during the month of November (12-1 record). During December (7-7), his shot attempts went up to 15 a game.

We have probably the best passing big man in the game, but he has no dynamic perimeter players to work with outside of Rudy to make plays for.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even know where to begin with the Grizzlies. They're just in a corundum that could lead to basketball purgatory.

I'm sure it'll be posted soon.

Who will represent the Mavs in Secaucus? Cuban or Dirk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom