Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last couple pages has really exposed to me the critical thinking ability of many on this board.  I'm very disappointed that I'm either speaking with dummies or children.  Props to Jesus Shuttlesworth and JHawk for "getting it". 
there is a huge difference between getting it and agreeing with it. I'm sure everyone gets it, they just don't agree. you giving props to the people who agreed with you only furthers this point

The only reason I see an issue is because it was nationally televised, and when players that people want to see don't play, they will turn the channel. I know you know all of this, but if this became a regularity, if LeBron started resting, if Kobe started resting, views would go down.
I know this isn't the first time it has happened, but it's a slippery slope. On one hand, four games in five nights is tough, and five in seven is even tougher when the fifth is against a Division rival.
And on the other, Stern has to look out for his television deals. If this were April, we'd be a lot more understanding.

I can get that but how often do you really think that will happen? And how often will it have to happen for fans to actually start tuning out of primetime games completely. If you're a fan and THIS makes you turn away from the game, then you're a fool IMO. If you came back from a lockout, you can pull your panties up and deal with a star resting once in a while. The thing that's boggling my mind is that it turned out to be an entertaining game but everyone is still complaining. Stern's TV aren't in any jeopardy. If he was so adamant about this, where was it the past few years where they've had cellar dwellars on ESPN/TNT/ABC in April?

There was a quote Jordan made I can't find it but it was something like "I play my best every night because I know somewhere there's a person who is only getting to see me that one time in their life"

Somewhere in Miami, there's an eleven year old boy crying himself to sleep last night because he couldn't see Danny Green score ten points.

I dont see anything wrong with what Pop did. The Danny Green decision just confuses me. :lol:

Embarassing effort on the Heat, they should have whomped the Spurs 2nd/3rd unit by at least 20 pts.

There was a quote Jordan made I can't find it but it was something like "I play my best every night because I know somewhere there's a person who is only getting to see me that one time in their life"
This is a strawman. Comparing Michael Jordan to Tim Duncan, manu, Tony, and Danny green? talent aside they are not global superstars like MJ was by any stretch of the imagination and the run of the mill fan is not concerned with their activities. This example has no place in this argument.

Last edited:
Somewhere in Miami, there's an eleven year old boy crying himself to sleep last night because he couldn't see Danny Green score ten points.
What about the Spurs fan that doesn't have NBA League Pass?

When you start telling your fans "oh you missed Danny Green" or "oh its just one game" blah blah blah

It shows a lack of respect for the person that pays you. You never want to do that

Another pointless tirade by Adrian Woj. The guy loves to hear himself talk whether it be Nike, LeBron or Stern.
Bottom line, its November. There's no excuse to be doing this at this point in the season. Of all teams to do this against, you do it against Miami? A team that you can actually gauge your potential against? Why not Washington, Orlando or Toronto? Everyone will be playing against Memphis though. If the Spurs have that big of a beef with the scheduling, they need to take it out on the owners of the AT&T Center because its clear they have no clout when it comes to their home games. In addition to the rodeo road games, this will have been the second such streak of games away from home.

IDK what people dont see about this

Of all games in that 5 game span why not play against the Best team, who you may face in the finals, or who you can wind up needing a tie breaker against in the case of having the best record. Why not rest against a bum team that you really think your second unit can handle.

What this boils down too is Greg Pop making himself bigger than the team and gauging for attention, because their is no logical reason to not play them against the heat on primetime but play them against the Raptors, Magic, & Wizards :rolleyes

anytime a player says or does something to sit himself above the team and draw negative energy he's crucified on here so it's only right Popovich gets blame

oh look a strawman. Comparing Michael Jordan to Tim Duncan, manu, Tony, and Danny green? talent aside they are not global superstars like MJ was by any stretch of the imagination and the run of the mill fan is not concerned with their activities. This example has no place in this argument.
Wait so MJ is required to play 82 games but other NBA players arent because they aren't Global superstars?

You get paid MORE than your worth in the NBA. Doing NBA Cares, signing autographs, talking to the media, and ACTUALLY PLAYING when healthy is required of you.

I can get that but how often do you really think that will happen? And how often will it have to happen for fans to actually start tuning out of primetime games completely. If you're a fan and THIS makes you turn away from the game, then you're a fool IMO. If you came back from a lockout, you can pull your panties up and deal with a star resting once in a while. The thing that's boggling my mind is that it turned out to be an entertaining game but everyone is still complaining. Stern's TV aren't in any jeopardy. If he was so adamant about this, where was it the past few years where they've had cellar dwellars on ESPN/TNT/ABC in April?

I didn't necessarily mean to say that, and for most of us on here, it won't matter because we'll be watching regardless (unless there's football on, which there was last night).

But to Stern I'm sure he feels like every viewer counts, and that's money he's letting go. Overall, in the end, people still still end up watching in June, He was posturing and wanted to send a message that everyone would see that would assure that people get to see the players they want to. It won't work, but I can only assume that's what he was trying to do.

The more people watch on a Thursday, the more that people aren't watching football. Stern is probably the unhappiest camper that there's football on every Thursday. Even though more people have TNT than NFL Network, those that want to watch sports will find a way to watch it. The more that people watch regular seasons game, the more TV money there is to make. He's trying to protect his property. I don't necessarily agree with him, but I see what he's doing.

All that said, I'm completely behind Pop and his decision, as you said, it's his team, and he's doing it in the best interest for his players, and to be sharp Saturday against Memphis.

But if this were OJ Mayo, Dirk Nowitzki, and Shawn Marion not playing on ABC/ESPN/TNT, I'd be pretty bummed. :lol:

Last edited:
Powerballin, I was thinking of that exact same line.

It's one one of the videos from the Ultimate Jordan DVD or MJ to the Max.

A reporter says:

"Everynight MJ comes out and gives is all because he knows it is some father out there is taking their son to a game for the first time and he has never seem Michael Jordan play before. He wants to leave a lasting impression everytime he takes that floor."

MJ had that love of the game. Who else would come back and play for the Wizards.

oh look a strawman. Comparing Michael Jordan to Tim Duncan, manu, Tony, and Danny green? talent aside they are not global superstars like MJ was by any stretch of the imagination and the run of the mill fan is not concerned with their activities. This example has no place in this argument.
Wait so MJ is required to play 82 games but other NBA players arent because they aren't Global superstars?

You get paid MORE than your worth in the NBA. Doing NBA Cares, signing autographs, talking to the media, and ACTUALLY PLAYING when healthy is required of you.
Didnt say that, what I said was that your comment isnt comparable to this situation. His situation is different than your run of the mill NBA player lets be honest. Its Michael Jordan. Danny Green, Michael Jordan, Danny Green, Michael Jordan DANNY GREEN, MICHAEL JORDAN. Your point was not missed, but bringing this comment into the conversation is not relevant at all.

Another pointless tirade by Adrian Woj. The guy loves to hear himself talk whether it be Nike, LeBron or Stern.
Bottom line, its November. There's no excuse to be doing this at this point in the season. Of all teams to do this against, you do it against Miami? A team that you can actually gauge your potential against? Why not Washington, Orlando or Toronto? Everyone will be playing against Memphis though. If the Spurs have that big of a beef with the scheduling, they need to take it out on the owners of the AT&T Center because its clear they have no clout when it comes to their home games. In addition to the rodeo road games, this will have been the second such streak of games away from home.
IDK what people dont see about this

Of all games in that 5 game span why not play against the Best team, who you may face in the finals, or who you can wind up needing a tie breaker against in the case of having the best record. Why not rest against a bum team that you really think your second unit can handle.

What this boils down too is Greg Pop making himself bigger than the team and gauging for attention, because their is no logical reason to not play them against the heat on primetime but play them against the Raptors, Magic, & Wizards
eyes.gif

anytime a player says or does something to sit himself above the team and draw negative energy he's crucified on here so it's only right Popovich gets blame
It could have something to do with the fact that he doesnt wnat to show his hand against a team that they will likely face in the finals, maybe he wanted to take the easy Ws and not have to fight for one against the heat, maybe he did want to stick it to the league like you say, the thing is we dont know, and the first two reasons I listed are just as valid as the first and people are just assuming that hes got a vendetta agianst the league. Relying on assumptions isnt something that should be done in a situation like this.

So if Duncan played 82 games and played 30+ minutes a night because he was healthy, then got hurt in the playoffs due to wear and tear - would you be okay with that? Is he paid to play every single regular season game? Or is he paid to take the Spurs deep into the playoffs? Where do you draw the line?

EDIT: Jordan was also a superhuman who could battle fatigue and still play at an elite level. He also took 2 years off and saved himself a ton of wear and tear.

Last edited:
comparing the star power of jordan to duncan/manu/parker ? lets be real here, most casual fans tuned in to watch lebron play.

and you cannot compare the 1990s to the 2010s. We have hdtv and broadband internet, you will be lucky to have 56k back in the days.

and last, we as fans dont know any better. especially here in ny, if decision making were up to the fans, then every gm/coach/players would have gotten fired after 1 bad game. a week from now no one would talk about this incident. more fans are mad about david stern opening his mouth than pop resting his players.

This. This issue aside, I've really grown to dislike Woj. I find him to be pedantic, holier-than-thou and completely humorless. And of course he would bash Stern on this because he clearly hates the guy. There are many reasons to dislike David Stern, even to dislike him a lot, but you also have to recognize the good things he's done. Woj. doesn't do that at all.

So if Duncan played 82 games and played 30+ minutes a night because he was healthy, then got hurt in the playoffs due to wear and tear - would you be okay with that? Is he paid to play every single regular season game? Or is he paid to take the Spurs deep into the playoffs? Where do you draw the line?
EDIT: Jordan was also a superhuman who could battle fatigue and still play at an elite level. He also took 2 years off and saved himself a ton of wear and tear.

Yea actually he is this is the NBA with some of the most Elite players on the planet in a competitive sport. That they also get payed millions to play. Him not playing early in November against a team who just won a chip is ridiculous and horrible for the League. Play him 20 minutes whatever... but to simply sit him out when your suppose to be two premier teams is F'n ridiculous.

Players and coaches are paid to bring in Championships not to put together iron man streaks of consecutive games played.

And it isn't Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli not wanting to play so we can cut this tangent off right now. Popovich was the one who made the decision.

Hold up, Brandon Roy is the second highest paid player in the league? 
roll.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom