Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some great basketball games last night. Nothing better than that. The Monta gamewinner looked a little lucky, but still amazing, nonetheless.

Hoping for some more great games tonight. Minnesota should keep it competitive against LAL, but they've been blowing some games lately. It'll be fun to see Rubio on the national stage though.

Some great basketball games last night. Nothing better than that. The Monta gamewinner looked a little lucky, but still amazing, nonetheless.

Hoping for some more great games tonight. Minnesota should keep it competitive against LAL, but they've been blowing some games lately. It'll be fun to see Rubio on the national stage though.

Past few weeks the Thursday night games have been awful. Hoping for more competitive games tonight.

oh it was lucky, which made it more hurtful lol..Minny gotta help us out and beat LA tonight 
smile.gif

They definitely can. Rubio makes this team so much better even though he shoots for ****. His hustle and effort on defense makes things happen and his vision we already know about. Hopefully ya'll get to see Williams go off tonight. Since Rubio has been getting back into his rhythm, DWill been putting up numbers.

Thinking about all the young talent on this team. :smh: Most don't even know much about Pek or Shved either, but they are both integral parts to a winning team. Sad stuff...I want Minny to be relevant again soo bad. :lol: Stupid Love.

Last edited:
omg i found it! lol @ the pacers announcers?

"and somebodys beating up freddy!!" :rofl:

never knew artest hit fatty twin 1 then jermaine got fatty twin 2 :lol:

:lol: It's still funny to me how Ron put the headsets on and Reggie snatched 'em off. Reggie knew Ron was crazy that's why he was basically guarding him but once dude threw the cup it was a wrap.

That accident is why the league so soft now.

[h1]What went wrong with the 76ers?[/h1]
By Tom Haberstroh

The irony is that 76ers coach Doug Collins loves numbers.

Talk shop with Collins about basketball and you'll be struck by how seamlessly he weaves statistics into his basketball commentary and analysis. He recalls data in almost encyclopedic fashion and it seems as though he finds numerical information absolutely essential to effective coaching.

But only on the most basic, conventional level. He has proudly shunned the analytics movement and its cause to objectively evaluate the game of basketball through research and data analysis. In October before the season, he told reporters "I'd blow my brains out" if he relied on analytics. Instead, he told reporters, he fully trusted his basketball IQ and his gut to make decisions.

How's that working out?

Not so well these days. The Sixers have dropped six straight games, having lost 27 of their past 39 after starting out 10-6. The free fall came to its nadir on Tuesday night after being blown out at the hands of the lowly Orlando Magic. The loss sent Collins into a 10-minute (though it felt like an hour) exasperated rant about how helpless he feels.

"I'm a guy who when I have coached, I've always been able to find some answers," Collins said. "And I have not been able to find answers, and from my standpoint that is very disappointing, because I'm paid to do that. ... I wish I knew [why we're struggling]. I really do."

You want answers? Your wish is our command. Here are what the numbers say about why the Sixers are struggling and why Collins should embrace the analytics.
[h3]1. Philly's shot selection is shot[/h3]
Not all shots are the same. Want an efficient offense? Pound the free throw line, penetrate into the paint and space the floor with a healthy dose of 3-point shooting. When it comes to shot attempts, that's where you'll get the most bang for your buck.

Of course, the 76ers do none of these things. Instead, they have a love affair with the long 2, which is the most inefficient shot in the game because of its low conversion rate and slim payoff. A typical Sixers trip down the floor yields about eight passes around the perimeter and a long 20-footer at the end of the shot clock. Just what the defense wants. The Sixers take the highest percentage of shots in the midrange area according to NBA.com's stats tool, taking 2.5 midrange jumpers for every 3-pointer -- the fourth highest ratio in the league.

Elsewhere, they're on pace to register the worst ratio of free throw attempts per field goal attempt in NBA history (0.145). If the Houston Rockets embody the analytical ideal with their shot selection, the Sixers are a stat-head's nightmare. It's worth pointing out that the unhealthy shot selection has stuck since last season even with an influx of new players. Collins points to a lack of effort, but his players aren't usually in a position to succeed in the first place. That's on him.
[h3]2. Let Arnett Moultrie out of the doghouse[/h3]
Of all the virtues of analytics, perhaps none are as useful as helping to locate diamonds in the rough. By looking beyond per-game statistics and adjusting player production for playing time, advanced stats can identify players who have earned a promotion from garbage time. For the Sixers, that player is rookie power forward and first-round draft pick Arnett Moultrie.

Rest assured, Moultrie is more like a quartz in the rough, but Collins is treating him like a lump of coal. He barely got off the bench in the Orlando blowout despite filling in admirably when a hamstring injury shelved Thaddeus Young for almost three weeks. Through a traditional lens, Moultrie's 2.3 points and 2.3 rebounds per game probably doesn't shout "rotation player" to Collins.

But Moultrie has performed well in what little time he's been given. In a small sample size, the 6-foot-11 Mississippi State product averages 9.8 points and a team-high 10 rebounds per 36 minutes while posting one of three above-average PERs on the roster. There's probably nothing more demoralizing for a rookie than watching Kwame Brown receive random starting nods without merit. Brown should be a sunk cost at this point, while Moultrie is a glimmer of hope.
[h3]3. Why aren't Elton Brand and Lou Williams still on the team?[/h3]
After amnestying Elton Brand in the offseason, the Sixers are paying him $16 million to play for the Dallas Mavericks. That wouldn't be so egregious if Brand weren't still a solid NBA player who was also a dark-horse candidate for Defensive Player of the Year last season. He may have been overpaid, but he was integral to the team's success.

Looking at the advanced stats, Brand was one of the top post defenders in the league last season, according to Synergy Sports data tracking, and the Sixers suffocated opponents when Brand anchored the defense, holding opponents to an insanely low 95.1 points per 100 possessions while on the floor. And they cut him so that they could pay Nick Young and Brown almost $10 million this season?

And that's before we get to the decision to let Lou Williams, their top player by PER and a veritable heartthrob of the analytics community for his penchant for 2-for-1s (a nifty way to earn an extra possession at the end of quarters by taking a quick shot around 36 seconds), walk in the offseason. So to recap, the Sixers let go of their best scorer, best paint defender and decided to throw big money at Young, whose gunning ways make J.R. Smith look like John Stockton.

Collins shouldn't be surprised at all with the results, Andrew Bynum or no Andrew Bynum. They botched the pre-Bynum offseason moves so badly that it seemed they were in full-out tank mode rather than contending for the East crown. Dorell Wright was a solid addition and the Spencer Hawes deal was reasonable, but they don't offset the overall damage done by the Brand-Williams snafu.

For a coach, who by most accounts has as much say in front-office decisions as any in the league, this is the bed that Collins made, and now he has to sleep in it. But analytics could have made that bed a bit more comfortable and that hot seat a little less toasty.

That's a great example of how most people like to use advanced stats in their analysis, and that's how it should be used. Make an observation, back it up with data, form a conclusion. It's not what many critics assume and just punching numbers into formulas, but using both your eyes and the wealth of data available to us.

thinking about implementing a few new rules in here.

- you can only post if...
... your input is about your team.
... you are actively engaged in a discussion with another NTer.

- no repeat posts

- if more than 10 people I like have you on ignore, you're banned.

Whad'ya think? :D

I keed, I keeeeeed. That would be impossible. :lol:

(CP, HTTB, JD, Cake, SHUGES, Pro, JA21, Ace, Antidope, Kev, MrO, L2B, 651, wcf, the Thunder fan whose name I can't remember right now but is good people on here, pretty sure it's OneTrust... Oh! the Cavs fan that remained true post-Bron... dammit, I'm forgetting names... you guys go ahead and send me your ignore lists, just in case Meth likes this idea :lol: )

*waits for the "Wth, ska?" posts that are unavoidable anytime a list is posted*

[h2] [/h2]
[h2] [/h2][h3] [/h3]

[h2] [/h2]
Klay Thompson’s dad is taking his allowance away for getting in a fight [h2] [/h2][h3] [/h3]Posted by Trey Kerby under Golden State Warriors
[h3]on Feb 28, 2013[/h3]

Outside of David West and Lance Stephenson, Tuesday night’s Warriors-Pacers fight was a skirmish between a bunch of the nicest guys in the league. Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Roy Hibbert going at it isn’t really “Gladiator,” you know?

I mean, Klay Thompson is such a sweetheart that on top of the $35,000 fine the NBA levied against him, his dad (former NBAer Mychal Thompson) is going to take his allowance away.
From ESPN Radio, as transcribed by Believe the Hype:
A few things here:

1. Haha to all of this.

2. Parents still get mad when their kids get in fights, even when they’re adults.

3. Getting docked allowance probably won’t help Klay’s reputation as a guy who looks like Cory Matthews on “Boy Meets World.”

4. Klay Thompson’s parents control his bank account?
To that last question, the answer is yup.
Seems like Mychal Thompson is a pretty good dad, except for maybe the part where he tells his son to sit in a car drinking a bottle of wine, which is almost definitely illegal. As a former player who’s been around the league for decades, he knows the struggles that young players often have with their money and he’s taking steps to prevent that from happening to his son. Plus, he seems to realize that if he takes Klay’s allowance away when he gets in fights, he can probably trick him in to not trying to fight guys who are 7-foot-2, weigh nearly 300 pounds and have gone through MMA training. This is just a dad looking out for his son and that’s pretty nice.

And, of course, it’s also hilarious because an NBA player is getting his allowance taken away. Let’s not forget that. TBS Very Funny, even if he’s just playing around.
[size=+0]Its great that his parents are trying to ensure that he doesnt go broke, but hes about to get clowned beyond belief for this. [/size]
[size=+0]Originally Posted by DarthSka  

thinking about implementing a few new rules in here.

- you can only post if...
... your input is about your team.
... you are actively engaged in a discussion with another NTer.

- no repeat posts

- if more than 10 people I like have you on ignore, you're banned.

Whad'ya think?
happy.gif

I keed, I keeeeeed. That would be impossible.
laugh.gif

(CP, HTTB, JD, Cake, SHUGES, Pro, JA21, Ace, Antidope, Kev, MrO, L2B, 651, wcf, the Thunder fan whose name I can't remember right now but is good people on here, pretty sure it's OneTrust... Oh! the Cavs fan that remained true post-Bron... dammit, I'm forgetting names... you guys go ahead and send me your ignore lists, just in case Meth likes this idea
laugh.gif
)

*waits for the "Wth, ska?" posts that are unavoidable anytime a list is posted*[/size]
[size=+0]Am I on this list becuase I would be banned?[/size]

Last edited:
^
laugh.gif
.. and things seemed to be going so well in the draft thread.. it was all good just a week ago..

i mean i get that it's smart that klay is doing that.. but still
mean.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom