Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by petozham

What do you guys think of Fedor and Mousasi? I love Mousasi and would be thrilled if he joined the UFC. I know Fedor is awesome and all, but I think the guy is really overrated. What real fighter has this guy fought lately? Frankly I'm getting sick of his BS and I'm tired of him giving the UFC the run around. The best need the fight the best and it just seems the guy's afraid to take on real fighters anymore.

I hpoe Dan fights Mousasi, kills him, and holds the SF ttitle at MW and LHW.
pimp.gif

JDS VS Gonzaga on for UFC on Versus 1.
pimp.gif
Im callin JDS to show off an underrated ground game and TKO GG.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by New Wu

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
We've seen what Gabe Gonzaga does when he fights elite level talent.

And yes, I went there. I am saying that JDS is an elite level HW. I think if you give the dude a couple more fights to tighten up his game, he may have ashot of taking down the Brockmonster. Not saying he's gonna steamroll Brock or anything remotely close to that. But I think he has more than a puncherschance. Probably a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 shot of pulling off the upset.

I want to see JDS beat the tar out of Mir first. Revenge for his boy Nog.

bj penn is the best lightweight mma fighter. theres really no one left for him to fight in the ufc or any other lw in all of mma. the ufc can bring aoki but imsure bj will demolish him. ben henderson can leave wec and move up to the ufc but he also amongst everyone else doesnt have a chance.

fedor is the best mma fighter. best p4p. best everything. saying he is "overrated" is getting old and frankly straight up disrespect.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

And yes, I went there. I am saying that JDS is an elite level HW. I think if you give the dude a couple more fights to tighten up his game, he may have a shot of taking down the Brockmonster. Not saying he's gonna steamroll Brock or anything remotely close to that. But I think he has more than a punchers chance. Probably a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 shot of pulling off the upset.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

And yes, I went there. I am saying that JDS is an elite level HW. I think if you give the dude a couple more fights to tighten up his game, he may have a shot of taking down the Brockmonster. Not saying he's gonna steamroll Brock or anything remotely close to that. But I think he has more than a punchers chance. Probably a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 shot of pulling off the upset.

So whos catching the Best of Pride? Im real excited for it. I think ill tune in every week
smile.gif
im so happy ufc did somethin good to bring back a little taste ofpride.

So whos catching the Best of Pride? Im real excited for it. I think ill tune in every week
smile.gif
im so happy ufc did somethin good to bring back a little taste ofpride.

What do you guys think of Fedor and Mousasi? I love Mousasi and would be thrilled if he joined the UFC. I know Fedor is awesome and all, but I think the guy is really overrated. What real fighter has this guy fought lately? Frankly I'm getting sick of his BS and I'm tired of him giving the UFC the run around. The best need the fight the best and it just seems the guy's afraid to take on real fighters anymore.

The "Fedor is overrated" stuff has been recycled more than anyone can count. I dont know how anyone can make this argument when the man has never really lost. Dude fights who is put in front of him. You wanna blame someone, blame Zuffa or Finckelstein.

It's not stuff, it's an opinion and a valid one. There's a reason it's been said so often, he hasn't truly done anything to stop the talk,he just makes his usual "I have nothing to prove" statement and moves on. I love how you try to debase the thought by insisting it's"recycled". As far as him losing, that's the thing, his record has made him so glorified.

Yeah yeah, he fights who he's put in front of, but who really gets put in front of him? You're telling me you've been fighting for 10 years andhave had over 30 fights, and are a multiple Judo, Sambo, and world champion but you've never had one single fight in the UFC yet you're considered thebest heavyweight MMA fighter in the world and arguably the best MMA fighter of all time? Zuffa is a business at the end of the day and Finkelstein is hismanager who looks out for his best interest and it's clear they're both trying to sustain his image and legacy and feel there is contrary to benefit inhim joining the UFC, he's already highly praised without it.

I refuse to blame anyone but him, at the end of the day he is the person fighting and he chooses the level of competition he will surround himself with and hehas chose not to partake in the best of the best but I guess rather coast the rest of his career, regardless of the fact that there's nothing more fanswould want to see and that Dana has been generous and persistent with him.
pimp.gif

Wont happen
pimp.gif

It's not stuff, it's an opinion and a valid one. There's a reason it's been said so often, he hasn't truly done anything to stop the talk, he just makes his usual "I have nothing to prove" statement and moves on. I love how you try to debase the thought by insisting it's "recycled". As far as him losing, that's the thing, his record has made him so glorified.

Yeah yeah, he fights who he's put in front of, but who really gets put in front of him? You're telling me you've been fighting for 10 years and have had over 30 fights, and are a multiple Judo, Sambo, and world champion but you've never had one single fight in the UFC yet you're considered the best heavyweight MMA fighter in the world and arguably the best MMA fighter of all time? Zuffa is a business at the end of the day and Finkelstein is his manager who looks out for his best interest and it's clear they're both trying to sustain his image and legacy and feel there is contrary to benefit in him joining the UFC, he's already highly praised without it.

I refuse to blame anyone but him, at the end of the day he is the person fighting and he chooses the level of competition he will surround himself with and he has chose not to partake in the best of the best but I guess rather coast the rest of his career, regardless of the fact that there's nothing more fans would want to see and that Dana has been generous and persistent with him.

Of course the UFC is definitely the organization with the most talent right now, but you act as though Pride's heavyweight division didn't exist. I ampissed that Fedor didn't sign to the UFC and fight Lesnar, but you can't write off his accomplishments in Pride when its HW division had a far greaterdepth than the UFC's trash HW division at that time. You know what they say about Fedor, he's never getting beaten by his opponents, he's justtemporarily not winning
laugh.gif

The "Fedor is overrated" stuff has been recycled more than anyone can count. I dont know how anyone can make this argument when the man has never really lost. Dude fights who is put in front of him. You wanna blame someone, blame Zuffa or Finckelstein.

It's not stuff, it's an opinion and a valid one. There's a reason it's been said so often, he hasn't truly done anything to stop the talk, he just makes his usual "I have nothing to prove" statement and moves on. I love how you try to debase the thought by insisting it's "recycled". As far as him losing, that's the thing, his record has made him so glorified.

Yeah yeah, he fights who he's put in front of, but who really gets put in front of him? You're telling me you've been fighting for 10 years and have had over 30 fights, and are a multiple Judo, Sambo, and world champion but you've never had one single fight in the UFC yet you're considered the best heavyweight MMA fighter in the world and arguably the best MMA fighter of all time? Zuffa is a business at the end of the day and Finkelstein is his manager who looks out for his best interest and it's clear they're both trying to sustain his image and legacy and feel there is contrary to benefit in him joining the UFC, he's already highly praised without it.

I refuse to blame anyone but him, at the end of the day he is the person fighting and he chooses the level of competition he will surround himself with and he has chose not to partake in the best of the best but I guess rather coast the rest of his career, regardless of the fact that there's nothing more fans would want to see and that Dana has been generous and persistent with him.
pimp.gif
Wont happen
pimp.gif

Dan VS Mousasi could be Fight Of The Year. "Won't happen"??? You sound like I said Dan killing Fedor. Hendo has a ton of expierincein the UFC and Pride, has fought whos who in MMA, held two belts in Pride at the same time, and couldve been UFC MW and LHW champ at same time, but didnt,because Rampage barely beat him, and he lost to the best fighter in the world, Anderson Silva.
sick.gif

Originally Posted by PrideFan

smile.gif
im so happy ufc did somethin good to bring back a little taste of pride.

I watched the whole thing, but im not excited...Ive prob seen every fight they gonna show. Atleast my friends can watch some Pride.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Munoz is gonna kill Kendall Grove, btw, and Why is Sherk backed out of like 3 fights in a row now?

IDK about you guys but I really believe tyson griffin is up there and deserves a shot @ the LW belt. he should fight either maynard or florian next.

EDIT:

i just remembered that maynard and tyson have the same coach
grin.gif
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by PrideFan

smile.gif
im so happy ufc did somethin good to bring back a little taste of pride.

I watched the whole thing, but im not excited...Ive prob seen every fight they gonna show. Atleast my friends can watch some Pride.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Ryda421

IDK about you guys but I really believe tyson griffin is up there and deserves a shot @ the LW belt. he should fight either maynard or florian next.

EDIT:

i just remembered that maynard and tyson have the same coach
grin.gif
ohwell.gif

Tyson is awesome.
pimp.gif
I think Maynard would match up great with Tyson,though.
grin.gif
Oh, and Kenflo would beat Tyson. My LW rankings:

1.Penn
2.Diego
3.Kenflo
4.Maynard
5.Tyson

Originally Posted by sNc magic

Of course the UFC is definitely the organization with the most talent right now, but you act as though Pride's heavyweight division didn't exist. I am pissed that Fedor didn't sign to the UFC and fight Lesnar, but you can't write off his accomplishments in Pride when its HW division had a far greater depth than the UFC's trash HW division at that time. You know what they say about Fedor, he's never getting beaten by his opponents, he's just temporarily not winning
laugh.gif
Point taken, and don't get me wrong Pride was the %*@%! I appreciate the guy's achievements and I agree with Pride HW's > UFCHW's back then, but Pride is no more, and it's 2010 now, what the hell is Fedor doing?

Here's what gets to me....Pride is done, you have a huge fan base, you're considered one of the best if not best MMA fighter in the world, you needsome where to sign to, the UFC currently is home to all the best, so what do you do? Of course sign with the UFC...Oh wait, nevermind, you go with M-1...Thenyou flirt with a starter company Dream, and eventually fight in Affliction...Affliction then falls apart, so you go with Strikeforce .

I dunno man, I guess I'm just
mad.gif
that he hasn't signed with theUFC, just imagine the possibilities.
Dan VS Mousasi could be Fight Of The Year. "Won't happen"??? You sound like I said Dan killing Fedor. Hendo has a ton of expierince in the UFC and Pride, has fought whos who in MMA, held two belts in Pride at the same time, and couldve been UFC MW and LHW champ at same time, but didnt, because Rampage barely beat him, and he lost to the best fighter in the world, Anderson Silva.
sick.gif

Relax kid. Notice the little dapper looking man with the hat and shades smoking a stogy right after my statement? It's supposed to help youindicate my lightness and more shows you who I want to win, no need to give me recaps and biographies of Dan Henderson, I know the man's a G.

Point taken, and don't get me wrong Pride was the %*@%! I appreciate the guy's achievements and I agree with Pride HW's > UFC HW's back then, but Pride is no more, and it's 2010 now, what the hell is Fedor doing?

Here's what gets to me....Pride is done, you have a huge fan base, you're considered one of the best if not best MMA fighter in the world, you need some where to sign to, the UFC currently is home to all the best, so what do you do? Of course sign with the UFC...Oh wait, nevermind, you go with M-1...Then you flirt with a starter company Dream, and eventually fight in Affliction...Affliction then falls apart, so you go with Strikeforce .

I dunno man, I guess I'm just
mad.gif
that he hasn't signed with the UFC, just imagine the possibilities.
I understand your frustration with Fedor not signing with the UFC. Trust me, as a Fedor fan I would love nothing more than to see him fightBrock, JDS, Carwin, Velasquez, etc.. etc...

I'm not Fedor so I can't say with certainty what the reasoning is behind his actions, but if he there is anything he has shown, its that he marches toa different drum. In one sense you are right and at the end of the day only Fedor is the one ultimately responsible for Fedor. (this is just me making ablind assumption) Maybe Fedor wants to fight the best there is out there, but not at the expense of signing away all his rights and interests to the UFC. Theres a reason top level fighters (ie. Dan Henderson) leave the UFC. Dana White makes no bones about it. If you sign with the UFC you will be effectivelysigning away all of your rights. I mean heck, there was that issue between Dana and the guys at AKA. I dont remember what the ultimate resolution was, but Ibelieve they wanted Fitch, Kos, and the rest of the dudes to sign away their LIFETIME likeness rights (for toys, games, etc.. etc...). As much of a competitoras Fedor is, maybe he is just too prideful to sell his soul to the UFC just to prove a point. Again... I don't know about the mans private life, but Idoubt he's hurting for money. He doesn't need the truckfull of money the UFC is willing to drop off at his doorstep. It seems like he has no problemgenerating that income on his own, while maintaining all of his own licensing rights.

Not that it will ever happen, but if Dana White ever offered Fedor a contract where they did not required him to relinquish his exclusive rights (a la theOriginal Randy Couture settlement offer) and Fedor still refused to sign... I will be the first to agree with you that Fedor is a fight dodger and is scared ofthe comp and is not the P4P #1 on the planet.

^I agree Dana's a little prick and very demanding, but in the same sense, Dana has shown to be a smart business man. I would think he realizes the money hecould make and the interest he could generate just by having Fedor fight even a bum in the UFC, so I doubt that he has so much pride and greed where hewouldn't meet Fedor halfway and compromise to Fedor's needs.

For Dana there is 0 negative to Fedor coming to the UFC, only positives. If he comes to the UFC and is successful, he's making a killing off him and isseen as a genius for the signing, if Fedor comes to the UFC and blows, it shows how elite the UFC is, it's just a beautiful win-win for Dana. Fedor'sthe one with all the pressure and has all to lose and little to gain. Dan Henderson with all due respect, top level fighter or not, doesn't have the allureas Fedor, so Dana has no problem not compromising with him and letting him go. I will say this I do respect Fedor's values and his passion to be flexiblein that aspect.

From all that's been addressed about the issue, Fedor's only gone as far as to say he has "nothing to prove" to anyone, regarding the matter,in which I feel a little cheated and snubbed at a real reason. If it was the case where Dana was being too unreasonable, simply say that and I will no longerquestion you. Meanwhile Dana has emphatically said they have done nothing but accommodate to them but that in fact they have been the unreasonable ones withcontract discussions and that "they did not step into this meeting to sign a deal" (I'm paraphrasing). But judging from all the issues he'shad with fighters and greed issues with many companies, I wouldn't trust Dana as far as I could throw him either, so who knows.

UFC champ Lesnar slated for summer return
Dave Doyle

By Dave Doyle, Yahoo! Sports 37 minutes ago

UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is ready to make his return to the Octagon.

The 32-year-old Minnesotan, who has been sidelined since the fall with diverticulitis, is slated to face the winner of the Frank Mir-Shane Carwin match at UFC 113 in Newark, N.J. on March 27.

No date has been set for Lesnar's return, but speaking on ESPN on Wednesday morning, UFC president Dana White said that Lesnar's return will take place over the summer.

"The winner of that fight [Mir-Carwin] will be the interim champion and will face Brock Lesnar this summer," White said. "We're hoping Carwin or Mir wins the fight and will face Brock, champion vs. champion."

Lesnar successfully defended his UFC title against Mir on July 11 at UFC 100 in Las Vegas, the biggest event in North American MMA history, and was slated to meet the undefeated Carwin on Nov. 21. But Lesnar fell ill in training for the fight and had to pull out of the date.

The former NCAA heavyweight wrestling champ and pro wrestling star was originally diagnosed with mononucleosis. But after a series of complications, he was finally diagnosed with a severe case of diverticulitis, an intestinal disorder, at a hospital in Bismarck, N.D., and had the diagnosis confirmed at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

Lesnar was told he'd need surgery to remove his colon, which would have kept him on the sidelines a minimum of 18 months and could have ended his career.

"I prepared for surgery and started to heal myself," said Lesnar. "I was in the hospital for 11 days, no food, no water, fed intravenously, lost 40 pounds."

Since the January diagnosis, Lesnar opted against the surgery, regained 30 pounds, and claims he is symptom-free.

"It was a miracle," said Lesnar. "[The doctors] were dumbfounded. They couldn't find any signs of any problem in my stomach. It's a miracle to me."

If the winner of Mir-Carwin is unable to return to action in a reasonable amount of time, Lesnar will instead defend his title against the winner of a Feb. 21 match in Sydney, Australia, between top contenders Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez.

"It's been a crazy ride," said White. "Forget about the career side, this guy was looking at a different quality of life if he would have needed the surgery. The doctor said, this is unbelievable, you got a lottery ticket, you don't need the surgery.'"

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_y...?slug=dd-lesnarback011910&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

As much as I hate Brock, I think its great hes coming back. It'll be interesting to see Brock vs Mir 3 with all the weight Mirs been gaining specificallyjust for that fight.

^I agree Dana's a little prick and very demanding, but in the same sense, Dana has shown to be a smart business man. I would think he realizes the money he could make and the interest he could generate just by having Fedor fight even a bum in the UFC, so I doubt that he has so much pride and greed where he wouldn't meet Fedor halfway and compromise to Fedor's needs.

For Dana there is 0 negative to Fedor coming to the UFC, only positives. If he comes to the UFC and is successful, he's making a killing off him and is seen as a genius for the signing, if Fedor comes to the UFC and blows, it shows how elite the UFC is, it's just a beautiful win-win for Dana. Fedor's the one with all the pressure and has all to lose and little to gain. Dan Henderson with all due respect, top level fighter or not, doesn't have the allure as Fedor, so Dana has no problem not compromising with him and letting him go. I will say this I do respect Fedor's values and his passion to be flexible in that aspect.

From all that's been addressed about the issue, Fedor's only gone as far as to say he has "nothing to prove" to anyone, regarding the matter, in which I feel a little cheated and snubbed at a real reason. If it was the case where Dana was being too unreasonable, simply say that and I will no longer question you. Meanwhile Dana has emphatically said they have done nothing but accommodate to them but that in fact they have been the unreasonable ones with contract discussions and that "they did not step into this meeting to sign a deal" (I'm paraphrasing). But judging from all the issues he's had with fighters and greed issues with many companies, I wouldn't trust Dana as far as I could throw him either, so who knows.

As far as I know, the main sticking point in the negotiations was not money (well in terms of salary) but it was more about retaining rights and co-promotion. Fedor's camp wanted M-1 to be brought on as a co-promoter which would entitle them to some control over how Fedor was marketed and used, but also entitlesthem to a piece of the pie. Zuffa told them to kick rocks cause that was NEVER going to happen (not that I blame them). I wouldnt say that Dana was being toounreasonable here. He obviously has to protect his interests at all times. The same goes for Fedor, Finckelstein, and the rest of his camp. They need to dowhat is best for Fedor. In their eyes, they feel that it is in Fedor's best interest not to give up any control over how he is marketed, use of hislikeness, and of course... they dont want to give up any revenue that they believe may be directly or indirectly attributed to Fedor fighting in that Octagon.

I want to see GSP move up to MW after beating Hardy, and Anderson move up to LHW if Shogun beats Lyoto.

Back
Top Bottom