[::Official Lakers Offseason Thread | Vol. Watch out world...we might sign Othello Hunter::]

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

Originally Posted by mrdieselfuel09

Originally Posted by LiCeNseD To BaLL

Well I mean it's funny and kind of counter-productive at the same time. I mean, the whole point of my list was to spread positivity and turn around our grumpy, whiny, arrogant Laker-fan attitudes...and the Team Fire Brown list basically just contradicts everything i was trying to do...
its not that serious I know...but I mean, why is it so funny to be so blatantly pessimistic about everything this off-season? I get it, he looks like a joke...but why not TRY to have a little faith?

Ehh...whatever, to each his own. 
ohwell.gif
LTB, its all jokes around here, bro. We all want to see Mike Brown succeed with the Lakers. I honestly hope this guy is motivated like hell during this off-season, especially with the bad-press of him being the new Lakers coach. I guess it stings a lot of Lakers fans in here that out of all the candidates, we chose Mike Brown. I honestly didn't even know about the Lakers eying this guy.  Doesn't help when Kobe had nothing to say about him either.

Last update for the night for Team Fire Mike Brown.

Team Fire Mike Brown!

1.mrdieselfuel09
2.westcoastfinest
3.CP1708

4. Furrell
5. Mamba MVP
6. kvsm23vs24
7.laker4lifeman
8.badboyf0life420
9. Menacin Methods
10. DimesLikeHefner
11. Moneylicious
12. xsalvioutlawx
 13. CAFinest23
Brown makes us Frown!
eyes.gif
 I'm apart of this.
PICK ME! PICK ME!

Fudge Mike Brown..
mad.gif

Originally Posted by xsalvioutlawx

I hope our new coach can figure out how to get Odom to show up for the playoffs, him and his mid series vacations never fails.

In every long series we've had that goes over 5 games, had he of played "Decent" we would of won some of those series in less games.

I hope we can move LO for a pg or something.  Without running the triangle, he will be less useful/important.  We just need a regular PF, not one who is a playmaker and can run the offense.

Originally Posted by xsalvioutlawx

I hope our new coach can figure out how to get Odom to show up for the playoffs, him and his mid series vacations never fails.

In every long series we've had that goes over 5 games, had he of played "Decent" we would of won some of those series in less games.

I hope we can move LO for a pg or something.  Without running the triangle, he will be less useful/important.  We just need a regular PF, not one who is a playmaker and can run the offense.

At least Brown has been active in recruiting a staff

I like what I'm reading so far:

*Interview with top Hornets' assistant Michael Brown, apparently he's well respected for his defense
The Hornets are mulling their options with Malone, the official said, because he is the No.1 assistant in New Orleans. But the official said the Hornets don't want to keep anybody around who doesn't want to be there.

Brown and Malone worked together in Cleveland for five years before the Cavaliers fired Brown after the 2009-10 season, and Malone joined the Hornets for the 2010-11 season.

Malone was given the defensive reins in Cleveland. His reputation as a defensive-minded coach continued in New Orleans because he helped the Hornets become the fifth-ranked defensive team in the NBA last season, allowing 94 points per game.
*"Mike Brown expected to make bid for well-regarded Dallas assistant Tim Grgurich to join Lakers staff, sources say. They're close friends." -Woj
*Brown is also after one of the top Euro-coaches named Ettore Messina, a savvy coach as Eric Pincus of Hoopsworld explains:

Messina coached Virtus Bologna to two Euroleague titles (1998 & 2001, the latter with star Manu Ginobili). He also ran Benetton Treviso and CSKA Moscow (winner of Euroleague title in 2006 and 2008). Most recently he was the head coach for Real Madrid. Messina is a tough coach with a strong personality. He likes to call his team’s plays and has a successful history developing players, especially in the post. Sources say Brown has asked Messina to join him with the Lakers but a decision has yet to be made.
*Now that Kuester has been fired by Detroit, his name is being thrown around too. Some coaches are meant to be assistants, maybe Brown is one of them, but I can't be mad if LA gets all these guys on their staff

At least Brown has been active in recruiting a staff

I like what I'm reading so far:

*Interview with top Hornets' assistant Michael Brown, apparently he's well respected for his defense
The Hornets are mulling their options with Malone, the official said, because he is the No.1 assistant in New Orleans. But the official said the Hornets don't want to keep anybody around who doesn't want to be there.

Brown and Malone worked together in Cleveland for five years before the Cavaliers fired Brown after the 2009-10 season, and Malone joined the Hornets for the 2010-11 season.

Malone was given the defensive reins in Cleveland. His reputation as a defensive-minded coach continued in New Orleans because he helped the Hornets become the fifth-ranked defensive team in the NBA last season, allowing 94 points per game.
*"Mike Brown expected to make bid for well-regarded Dallas assistant Tim Grgurich to join Lakers staff, sources say. They're close friends." -Woj
*Brown is also after one of the top Euro-coaches named Ettore Messina, a savvy coach as Eric Pincus of Hoopsworld explains:

Messina coached Virtus Bologna to two Euroleague titles (1998 & 2001, the latter with star Manu Ginobili). He also ran Benetton Treviso and CSKA Moscow (winner of Euroleague title in 2006 and 2008). Most recently he was the head coach for Real Madrid. Messina is a tough coach with a strong personality. He likes to call his team’s plays and has a successful history developing players, especially in the post. Sources say Brown has asked Messina to join him with the Lakers but a decision has yet to be made.
*Now that Kuester has been fired by Detroit, his name is being thrown around too. Some coaches are meant to be assistants, maybe Brown is one of them, but I can't be mad if LA gets all these guys on their staff

^This is good news. I'm all for defensive minded staff. We saw what Chicago did with intense defense and ONE legit scorer.

Not to mention that Miami plays smothering defense and Dallas' D is not too bad either.

Bottom line is, we need to emphasize stopping people and it looks like we're targeting the right people to get that done.

^This is good news. I'm all for defensive minded staff. We saw what Chicago did with intense defense and ONE legit scorer.

Not to mention that Miami plays smothering defense and Dallas' D is not too bad either.

Bottom line is, we need to emphasize stopping people and it looks like we're targeting the right people to get that done.

So Brown wasn't even the defensive coach that coordinated the Cavs Defense
30t6p3b.gif

hopefully we land this guy. If he even made Hornets defense that good
eek.gif

30t6p3b.gif

eek.gif

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

30t6p3b.gif

eek.gif
Not true bruh. Think back to Brown's previous assistant positions with what teams he helped and what kind of defenses he helped shape.

Brown is one of the better defensive minds in the league.

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

30t6p3b.gif

eek.gif
Not true bruh. Think back to Brown's previous assistant positions with what teams he helped and what kind of defenses he helped shape.

Brown is one of the better defensive minds in the league.

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

Im 31 yrs old. Ive witnessed eras rise and fall.
I witnessed Randy Pfund. Horrible.
Lets see what Mike Brown can do first. Add me to the list.

I'm the same age and honestly I'll give Mike Brown a chance. So yeah add me to the list.

In a way I kind of view him as how when Del Harris came in to coach the Lakers in the mid 90's.

Randy Pfund was horrible and only got a chance to coach the Lakers because he was a under study and a left over from Pat Riley's coaching staff.

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

Im 31 yrs old. Ive witnessed eras rise and fall.
I witnessed Randy Pfund. Horrible.
Lets see what Mike Brown can do first. Add me to the list.

I'm the same age and honestly I'll give Mike Brown a chance. So yeah add me to the list.

In a way I kind of view him as how when Del Harris came in to coach the Lakers in the mid 90's.

Randy Pfund was horrible and only got a chance to coach the Lakers because he was a under study and a left over from Pat Riley's coaching staff.

Sounds like the Pistons are firing John Kuester. I'm sure Mike Brown will contact him about a position on the staff.

Sounds like the Pistons are firing John Kuester. I'm sure Mike Brown will contact him about a position on the staff.

I dont know why yall are worried about mike brown if its not working out Kobe will run him out of the City before the allstar break, trust me

tomjanovich_370_040710.jpg

I dont know why yall are worried about mike brown if its not working out Kobe will run him out of the City before the allstar break, trust me

tomjanovich_370_040710.jpg

Question to Laker fans:

From an outside Ron hasn't looked like he has gelled with yall the last 2 years on offense. How do you think he will do now that the Triangle is gone?

Question to Laker fans:

From an outside Ron hasn't looked like he has gelled with yall the last 2 years on offense. How do you think he will do now that the Triangle is gone?

[h2]Kobe Bryant has 'cartilage problem' in knee[/h2]The trainer for the Los Angeles Lakers describes the condition of Kobe Bryant's knee. Posted by Ben Golliver. 
kobe-bryant2.jpg

Back in January, Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant sent some shockwaves through the basketball universe when he described his surgically repaired right knee as "almost bone on bone." Those words can be a death sentence for an NBA player's athleticism and future prospects.

In a wide-ranging interview on Lakers.com, Gary Vitti, longtime trainer for the franchise, provides a bit more depth in his description of the condition of Bryant's knee. 
What happens with older players -- and this isn’t Kobe’s situation – is that tendinitis turns into tendinosis, and the tendon doesn’t have the same properties that it used to have. As a result it slows them down, and once you become a step slow in this league, it’s very, very difficult to compete.

That’s not Kobe’s problem, however. His is an articulating cartilage problem. The way I describe that to people is that if you look at the end of chicken bone where it’s nice and white, well, that’s not bone, it’s cartilage. Sort of like a Teflon surface that when two bones come together, that cartilage is there so that bones don’t rub on each other. Now, the fact that it’s nice and white tells you it doesn’t have a good blood flow to it, and that means it cannot heal or regenerate. So, over time, as that cartilage wears away, you end up with osteoarthritis.

Kobe doesn’t have an arthritic knee, but he has a knee that has some joint degeneration to it. His issues and his age are such that it eliminates some procedures, like microfracture and that type of things. But he is a candidate for certain other things, and we know all the procedures all around the world that are available to him, and the appropriate decisions will be made, he’ll have the best care.
To boil that down: Bryant has little cartilage, the state of the cartilage is problematic, he has joint degeneration but not arthritis and "procedures" have been explored.

A few takeaway points. First of all, kudos to the Lakers for providing as much transparency as possible on the medical condition of their star player. No one is forcing them to do this and it's always better to stress about what you do know rather than stressing about what you're guessing or things that you don't know. For those worried about Bryant's future, you now know exactly where he stands. That's saying a lot.

Second: It's clear that the condition of Bryant's knee is not going to reverse course. The miles have clearly added up, the situation requires constant management and future eventualities have been explored and weighed. None of that is particularly shocking, but it's still a tad depressing, especially for his fans. On the flipside, nothing revealed in the interview suggests that Bryant can't be a major, major contributor to a title contender over the next few years. His knee is problematic, but it's not critical.

[h2]Kobe Bryant has 'cartilage problem' in knee[/h2]The trainer for the Los Angeles Lakers describes the condition of Kobe Bryant's knee. Posted by Ben Golliver. 
kobe-bryant2.jpg

Back in January, Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant sent some shockwaves through the basketball universe when he described his surgically repaired right knee as "almost bone on bone." Those words can be a death sentence for an NBA player's athleticism and future prospects.

In a wide-ranging interview on Lakers.com, Gary Vitti, longtime trainer for the franchise, provides a bit more depth in his description of the condition of Bryant's knee. 
What happens with older players -- and this isn’t Kobe’s situation – is that tendinitis turns into tendinosis, and the tendon doesn’t have the same properties that it used to have. As a result it slows them down, and once you become a step slow in this league, it’s very, very difficult to compete.

That’s not Kobe’s problem, however. His is an articulating cartilage problem. The way I describe that to people is that if you look at the end of chicken bone where it’s nice and white, well, that’s not bone, it’s cartilage. Sort of like a Teflon surface that when two bones come together, that cartilage is there so that bones don’t rub on each other. Now, the fact that it’s nice and white tells you it doesn’t have a good blood flow to it, and that means it cannot heal or regenerate. So, over time, as that cartilage wears away, you end up with osteoarthritis.

Kobe doesn’t have an arthritic knee, but he has a knee that has some joint degeneration to it. His issues and his age are such that it eliminates some procedures, like microfracture and that type of things. But he is a candidate for certain other things, and we know all the procedures all around the world that are available to him, and the appropriate decisions will be made, he’ll have the best care.
To boil that down: Bryant has little cartilage, the state of the cartilage is problematic, he has joint degeneration but not arthritis and "procedures" have been explored.

A few takeaway points. First of all, kudos to the Lakers for providing as much transparency as possible on the medical condition of their star player. No one is forcing them to do this and it's always better to stress about what you do know rather than stressing about what you're guessing or things that you don't know. For those worried about Bryant's future, you now know exactly where he stands. That's saying a lot.

Second: It's clear that the condition of Bryant's knee is not going to reverse course. The miles have clearly added up, the situation requires constant management and future eventualities have been explored and weighed. None of that is particularly shocking, but it's still a tad depressing, especially for his fans. On the flipside, nothing revealed in the interview suggests that Bryant can't be a major, major contributor to a title contender over the next few years. His knee is problematic, but it's not critical.

Back
Top Bottom