Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by werallequal

Originally Posted by Noskey

What would be disrespectful? Playing for team USA?
well not that its a bad thing but instead of playing for his nationality /country?   i think he would much rather play to represent who he is for his culture/community 
In his interviews, especially earlier when he played for Golden State he didn't seem to like people putting emphasis on his heritage. He wanted to be judged on his performance. However, he does acknowledge that he's had a tough time with discrimination and stereotypes because of his race and is glad to inspire others. Plus he was born and raised in the U.S. He does not relate much to China or Taiwan. With that said it makes more sense for him to play for Team USA. But even if he gets an invite, he will probably turn it down because no matter which country he chooses to represent there will be some controversy.
laugh.gif
Let's be real...

He'll play for Taiwan before he even makes it to Team USA.

well not that its a bad thing but instead of playing for his nationality /country?   i think he would much rather play to represent who he is for his culture/community 
In his interviews, especially earlier when he played for Golden State he didn't seem to like people putting emphasis on his heritage. He wanted to be judged on his performance. However, he does acknowledge that he's had a tough time with discrimination and stereotypes because of his race and is glad to inspire others. Plus he was born and raised in the U.S. He does not relate much to China or Taiwan. With that said it makes more sense for him to play for Team USA. But even if he gets an invite, he will probably turn it down because no matter which country he chooses to represent there will be some controversy.
laugh.gif
Let's be real...

im sure he would love to but come on now ... that would be a disrespectful

What you have to understand is this...the country he represents is USA...and he is American. He was born and raised in California. I think he would rather play to represent who he is for his culture/community as well...and for that, he would rather represent the US over Taiwan/China. He's probably only been to Taiwan a couple times max. He's lived in America all his life.
The point is...just because he's Asian doesn't mean he represents Taiwan and/or China over America. I'm sure most Asian-Americans here feel the exact same way.

im sure he would love to but come on now ... that would be a disrespectful

What you have to understand is this...the country he represents is USA...and he is American. He was born and raised in California. I think he would rather play to represent who he is for his culture/community as well...and for that, he would rather represent the US over Taiwan/China. He's probably only been to Taiwan a couple times max. He's lived in America all his life.
The point is...just because he's Asian doesn't mean he represents Taiwan and/or China over America. I'm sure most Asian-Americans here feel the exact same way.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

laugh.gif
Let's be real...

I mentioned that on the last pages as well. Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet, he needs to perform at this level consistently to even be considered. Taiwan does not have a National Team and most Taiwanese do not consider themselves Chinese. I probably opened another can of worms with that one. So him playing for China is even more of a long shot. He can barely relate to Taiwan, let alone China. Plus he would need to abandon his U.S. citizenship to play for China. But him playing for China will open a great deal of financial rewards.  He definitely won't qualify for the 2012 USA team because the team was selected already. But years down the road it's not out of the realm of possibility especially if D'Antoni is still on the coaching staff and he can pull some strings. Like I said Hakeem Olajawon represented the USA in the Olympics and he was not even born here.

Edit: Nor was Carlos Boozer.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

laugh.gif
Let's be real...

I mentioned that on the last pages as well. Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet, he needs to perform at this level consistently to even be considered. Taiwan does not have a National Team and most Taiwanese do not consider themselves Chinese. I probably opened another can of worms with that one. So him playing for China is even more of a long shot. He can barely relate to Taiwan, let alone China. Plus he would need to abandon his U.S. citizenship to play for China. But him playing for China will open a great deal of financial rewards.  He definitely won't qualify for the 2012 USA team because the team was selected already. But years down the road it's not out of the realm of possibility especially if D'Antoni is still on the coaching staff and he can pull some strings. Like I said Hakeem Olajawon represented the USA in the Olympics and he was not even born here.

Edit: Nor was Carlos Boozer.

Boozer was born on an American base in Germany though....... so kinda counts........ beside the point

Boozer was born on an American base in Germany though....... so kinda counts........ beside the point

Originally Posted by MrONegative

[h2]Anthony Federico (@AntFeds)[/h2]
Posted Wednesday 22nd February 2012 from Twitlonger
I wrote the headline in reference to the tone of the column and not to Jeremy Lin’s race. It was a lapse in judgment and not a racist pun. It was an awful editorial omission and it cost me my job.

I owe an apology to Jeremy Lin and all people offended. I am truly sorry.

Actions speak louder than words. My words may have hurt people in that moment but my actions have always helped people. If those who vilify me would take a deeper look at my life they would see that I am the exact opposite of how some are portraying me.

They would see that on the day of the incident I got a call from a friend – who happens to be homeless – and rushed to his aid. He was collapsed on the side of the road due to exposure and hunger. They would see how I picked him up and got him a hotel room and fed him. They would see I used my vacation time last year to volunteer in the orphanages of Haiti. They would see how I ‘adopted’ an elderly Alzheimer’s patient and visited him every week for a year. They would see that every winter I organize a coat drive for those less fortunate in New Haven. They would see how I raised $10,000 for a friend in need when his kids were born four months premature. They would see how I have worked in soup kitchens and convalescent homes since I was a kid. They would see my actions speak louder than my words. They would see that these acts were not done for my glory, but for God’s. They would see that each day I live and will continue to live a life of joy and service.

It never has been or will be my intention to hurt anyone.

I wrote thousands and thousands and thousands of headlines in my five years at ESPN. There never was a problem with any of them and I was consistently praised as an employee – both personally and professionally. Two weeks prior to the incident I had my first column published on espnW.com. My career was taking off. Why would I throw that all away with a racist pun? This was an honest mistake.

It is also crucial that people know that the writer of the column had nothing to do with the headline. I wrote it and now I take responsibility for it.

I am actually a Knicks fan and an ardent supporter of Jeremy Lin. Not surprisingly, he has handled the entire situation with grace and class.

Now I have to find a new job and move on with my life.

My solace in this is that ‘all things work together for good for those who love the Lord.’ I praise God equally in the good times and the bad times.

-Anthony Federico
[email protected]

eyes.gif

I wrote the headline in reference to the tone of the column and not to Jeremy Lin’s race. It was a lapse in judgment and not a racist pun. It was an awful editorial omission and it cost me my job.

Actions speak louder than words. My words may have hurt people in that moment but my actions have always helped people. If those who vilify me would take a deeper look at my life they would see that I am the exact opposite of how some are portraying me.

They would see that on the day of the incident I got a call from a friend – who happens to be homeless – and rushed to his aid. He was collapsed on the side of the road due to exposure and hunger. They would see how I picked him up and got him a hotel room and fed him. They would see I used my vacation time last year to volunteer in the orphanages of Haiti. They would see how I ‘adopted’ an elderly Alzheimer’s patient and visited him every week for a year. They would see that every winter I organize a coat drive for those less fortunate in New Haven. They would see how I raised $10,000 for a friend in need when his kids were born four months premature. They would see how I have worked in soup kitchens and convalescent homes since I was a kid. They would see my actions speak louder than my words. They would see that these acts were not done for my glory, but for God’s. They would see that each day I live and will continue to live a life of joy and service.

I wrote thousands and thousands and thousands of headlines in my five years at ESPN. There never was a problem with any of them and I was consistently praised as an employee – both personally and professionally. Two weeks prior to the incident I had my first column published on espnW.com. My career was taking off. Why would I throw that all away with a racist pun? This was an honest mistake.

It is also crucial that people know that the writer of the column had nothing to do with the headline. I wrote it and now I take responsibility for it.

I am actually a Knicks fan and an ardent supporter of Jeremy Lin. Not surprisingly, he has handled the entire situation with grace and class.

My solace in this is that ‘all things work together for good for those who love the Lord.’ I praise God equally in the good times and the bad times.

-Anthony Federico
[email protected]

eyes.gif

-Anthony Federico
[email protected]

did this dude just say he just saved a starving homeless man?? 
roll.gif
come on g you trying too hard 
laugh.gif

-Anthony Federico
[email protected]

did this dude just say he just saved a starving homeless man?? 
roll.gif
come on g you trying too hard 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SFC415

werallequal wrote:

His nationality is American. His country is USA. His culture is American with a Taiwanese background. He was born and raised here. He has much more in common with every other American player than players from China and Taiwan. Why exactly would it be disrespectful?

I think you guys i really taking that statement wrong... i think he would play for china ..if had the opportunity .... i'm just saying a lot of people dont understand he is first generation .... yeah he was raised in the US but im sure with in his house hold the chinese influence weighs more ....(not in a bad way) im sure he is very proud to be an american but also very proud to be chinese.....

werallequal wrote:

His nationality is American. His country is USA. His culture is American with a Taiwanese background. He was born and raised here. He has much more in common with every other American player than players from China and Taiwan. Why exactly would it be disrespectful?

I think you guys i really taking that statement wrong... i think he would play for china ..if had the opportunity .... i'm just saying a lot of people dont understand he is first generation .... yeah he was raised in the US but im sure with in his house hold the chinese influence weighs more ....(not in a bad way) im sure he is very proud to be an american but also very proud to be chinese.....

Lmao. Just before his homeless and impoverished friend collapsed on the side of the road, he reached into his pocket and placed a call on his celly to tell his boy to come get him. Trying too hard , this guy.

Lmao. Just before his homeless and impoverished friend collapsed on the side of the road, he reached into his pocket and placed a call on his celly to tell his boy to come get him. Trying too hard , this guy.

werallequal wrote:well not that its a bad thing but instead of playing for his nationality /country?   i think he would much rather play to represent who he is for his culture/community 

He is Taiwanese. Most Taiwanese do not consider themselves as Chinese and vice versa. Add the American part, and Team China is much less likely to accept him. But they might see the fiscal benefit and look past that.  But Lin grew up in the Bay Area and generally race is not an issue here. It is probably the most diverse yet racially equal area in the United States. Hell you see people of every color saying the N word with no racial connotation. It's just not right to assume Lin is more likely to play for China just because he looks like them.

werallequal wrote:well not that its a bad thing but instead of playing for his nationality /country?   i think he would much rather play to represent who he is for his culture/community 

He is Taiwanese. Most Taiwanese do not consider themselves as Chinese and vice versa. Add the American part, and Team China is much less likely to accept him. But they might see the fiscal benefit and look past that.  But Lin grew up in the Bay Area and generally race is not an issue here. It is probably the most diverse yet racially equal area in the United States. Hell you see people of every color saying the N word with no racial connotation. It's just not right to assume Lin is more likely to play for China just because he looks like them.

the whole taiwan vs china beef is purely political. It has nothing to do with ethnicity, language, culture and heritage.
the reason why most taiwanese people dont consider themselves chinese is because they dont want to have that communist label on them.
not to mention their great leader chiang kai shek was a coward and sold out the chinese people

the whole taiwan vs china beef is purely political. It has nothing to do with ethnicity, language, culture and heritage.
the reason why most taiwanese people dont consider themselves chinese is because they dont want to have that communist label on them.
not to mention their great leader chiang kai shek was a coward and sold out the chinese people

Back
Top Bottom