Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by werallequal

Originally Posted by dyyhard

Originally Posted by Nawzlew

If anything I think Lin would like to play for Chinese Taipei before China  Team USA.
im sure he would love to but come on now ... that would be a disrespectful

What would be disrespectful? Playing for team USA?

Originally Posted by Noskey

Some people still don't realize he's American and was born on U.S. soil
eyes.gif
.  Hakeem Olajawon was not even born in the U.S. and he played.

Some people still don't realize he's American and was born on U.S. soil
eyes.gif
.  Hakeem Olajawon was not even born in the U.S. and he played.

Originally Posted by amel223

I'm pretty sure son doesn't even know how to speak Chinese... so why would he play for China/Taiwan?

I think he does, but probably not fluently.

I'm pretty sure son doesn't even know how to speak Chinese... so why would he play for China/Taiwan?

If anything I think Lin would like to play for Chinese Taipei before China  Team USA.
I 100% agree with this- and he should only play if he actually reaches that level. As a Taiwanese-American myself, I really don't think he should play for either China or Taiwan (aka Chinese Taipei). No matter what he does it will cause international controversy and stir up some bitterness. And since he was born here in the first place, he should choose to represent America no matter what- and if he's good enough to make the roster, he'll earn the spot. That's just how I feel about it. I'm sure it'd be nice to play in the Olympics, but I just don't think it's a wise move for him to represent any country other than the US.

I 100% agree with this- and he should only play if he actually reaches that level. As a Taiwanese-American myself, I really don't think he should play for either China or Taiwan (aka Chinese Taipei). No matter what he does it will cause international controversy and stir up some bitterness. And since he was born here in the first place, he should choose to represent America no matter what- and if he's good enough to make the roster, he'll earn the spot. That's just how I feel about it. I'm sure it'd be nice to play in the Olympics, but I just don't think it's a wise move for him to represent any country other than the US.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

he understands mandarin, but can't speak it well. when lin was in TW in 2010 doing Christian Charities, he was on many tv interviews. they would talk to him in mandarin and he would reply back in awful broken mandarin 
laugh.gif
 and mostly english.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

he understands mandarin, but can't speak it well. when lin was in TW in 2010 doing Christian Charities, he was on many tv interviews. they would talk to him in mandarin and he would reply back in awful broken mandarin 
laugh.gif
 and mostly english.

Originally Posted by acidicality

i agree with acidicality.

Originally Posted by acidicality

i agree with acidicality.

It's going to stir some shhh no matter which country he plays for. Sad, but true. 
tired.gif
But let's not go there until he get's to that level. 

It's going to stir some shhh no matter which country he plays for. Sad, but true. 
tired.gif
But let's not go there until he get's to that level. 

well not that its a bad thing but instead of playing for his nationality /country?   i think he would much rather play to represent who he is for his culture/community 

well not that its a bad thing but instead of playing for his nationality /country?   i think he would much rather play to represent who he is for his culture/community 

[h2]Anthony Federico (@AntFeds)[/h2]
Posted Wednesday 22nd February 2012 from Twitlonger
I wrote the headline in reference to the tone of the column and not to Jeremy Lin’s race. It was a lapse in judgment and not a racist pun. It was an awful editorial omission and it cost me my job.

I owe an apology to Jeremy Lin and all people offended. I am truly sorry.

Actions speak louder than words. My words may have hurt people in that moment but my actions have always helped people. If those who vilify me would take a deeper look at my life they would see that I am the exact opposite of how some are portraying me.

They would see that on the day of the incident I got a call from a friend – who happens to be homeless – and rushed to his aid. He was collapsed on the side of the road due to exposure and hunger. They would see how I picked him up and got him a hotel room and fed him. They would see I used my vacation time last year to volunteer in the orphanages of Haiti. They would see how I ‘adopted’ an elderly Alzheimer’s patient and visited him every week for a year. They would see that every winter I organize a coat drive for those less fortunate in New Haven. They would see how I raised $10,000 for a friend in need when his kids were born four months premature. They would see how I have worked in soup kitchens and convalescent homes since I was a kid. They would see my actions speak louder than my words. They would see that these acts were not done for my glory, but for God’s. They would see that each day I live and will continue to live a life of joy and service.

It never has been or will be my intention to hurt anyone.

I wrote thousands and thousands and thousands of headlines in my five years at ESPN. There never was a problem with any of them and I was consistently praised as an employee – both personally and professionally. Two weeks prior to the incident I had my first column published on espnW.com. My career was taking off. Why would I throw that all away with a racist pun? This was an honest mistake.

It is also crucial that people know that the writer of the column had nothing to do with the headline. I wrote it and now I take responsibility for it.

I am actually a Knicks fan and an ardent supporter of Jeremy Lin. Not surprisingly, he has handled the entire situation with grace and class.

Now I have to find a new job and move on with my life.

My solace in this is that ‘all things work together for good for those who love the Lord.’ I praise God equally in the good times and the bad times.

-Anthony Federico
[email protected]

[h2]Anthony Federico (@AntFeds)[/h2]
Posted Wednesday 22nd February 2012 from Twitlonger
I wrote the headline in reference to the tone of the column and not to Jeremy Lin’s race. It was a lapse in judgment and not a racist pun. It was an awful editorial omission and it cost me my job.

I owe an apology to Jeremy Lin and all people offended. I am truly sorry.

Actions speak louder than words. My words may have hurt people in that moment but my actions have always helped people. If those who vilify me would take a deeper look at my life they would see that I am the exact opposite of how some are portraying me.

They would see that on the day of the incident I got a call from a friend – who happens to be homeless – and rushed to his aid. He was collapsed on the side of the road due to exposure and hunger. They would see how I picked him up and got him a hotel room and fed him. They would see I used my vacation time last year to volunteer in the orphanages of Haiti. They would see how I ‘adopted’ an elderly Alzheimer’s patient and visited him every week for a year. They would see that every winter I organize a coat drive for those less fortunate in New Haven. They would see how I raised $10,000 for a friend in need when his kids were born four months premature. They would see how I have worked in soup kitchens and convalescent homes since I was a kid. They would see my actions speak louder than my words. They would see that these acts were not done for my glory, but for God’s. They would see that each day I live and will continue to live a life of joy and service.

It never has been or will be my intention to hurt anyone.

I wrote thousands and thousands and thousands of headlines in my five years at ESPN. There never was a problem with any of them and I was consistently praised as an employee – both personally and professionally. Two weeks prior to the incident I had my first column published on espnW.com. My career was taking off. Why would I throw that all away with a racist pun? This was an honest mistake.

It is also crucial that people know that the writer of the column had nothing to do with the headline. I wrote it and now I take responsibility for it.

I am actually a Knicks fan and an ardent supporter of Jeremy Lin. Not surprisingly, he has handled the entire situation with grace and class.

Now I have to find a new job and move on with my life.

My solace in this is that ‘all things work together for good for those who love the Lord.’ I praise God equally in the good times and the bad times.

-Anthony Federico
[email protected]

werallequal wrote:

His nationality is American. His country is USA. His culture is American with a Taiwanese background. He was born and raised here. He has much more in common with every other American player than players from China and Taiwan. Why exactly would it be disrespectful?

werallequal wrote:

His nationality is American. His country is USA. His culture is American with a Taiwanese background. He was born and raised here. He has much more in common with every other American player than players from China and Taiwan. Why exactly would it be disrespectful?

In his interviews, especially earlier when he played for Golden State he didn't seem to like people putting emphasis on his heritage. He wanted to be judged on his performance. However, he does acknowledge that he's had a tough time with discrimination and stereotypes because of his race and is glad to inspire others. Plus he was born and raised in the U.S. He does not relate much to China or Taiwan. With that said it makes more sense for him to play for Team USA. But even if he gets an invite, he will probably turn it down because no matter which country he chooses to represent there will be some controversy.

In his interviews, especially earlier when he played for Golden State he didn't seem to like people putting emphasis on his heritage. He wanted to be judged on his performance. However, he does acknowledge that he's had a tough time with discrimination and stereotypes because of his race and is glad to inspire others. Plus he was born and raised in the U.S. He does not relate much to China or Taiwan. With that said it makes more sense for him to play for Team USA. But even if he gets an invite, he will probably turn it down because no matter which country he chooses to represent there will be some controversy.

Back
Top Bottom