+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

some of y'all need to realize who it is you're debating with :lol:

Got ridiculous seats for the show in San Diego.  Perfect timing with me being down there for work.

"I gave you prophecy on my first joint, and you all lamed out"

"So I stretched the game out......ETCHED your name out.....put J**** on top".....
Before that

"Didn't really appreciate it, till the second one came out"

Jay been saying his first album was slept on. But did folks really get hip to it when vol 1 dropped?

No, most people didn't really check for it until The Blueprint and The Black Album.

I wasn't checking for Jay until the Nas beef. I always knew the hits he had up until that point but I just started buying music at that time.

I was in 7th grade when Blueprint and stillmatic dropped. I remember people arguing about who was better. I couldn't give a ****, I was bumping my Word of Mouf CD lol.

Luckily P2P sharing was a thing so I started downloading freestyles and albums from Kazaa and Morpheus. Found Reasonable Doubt and started rolling with Jay.

i wasn't you b, don't extrapolate my music with what you thought was too young for you.

i got every Source Mag from 1994 to present day.

newflash b, Jay-z wasn't a big deal till 1998.

Hard Knock life Vol. 2 to be exact, and even then he played second fiddle to DMX.

1996 was too crowded for Jay-Z to make a impact, you seen 1996 line up for rap release dates? its probably da best da genre ever had..EVER.

all these albums i had when they first came out.

no one is saying reasonable doubt is trash (its a poor man's Only Built For Cuban Linx but thats another topic) all we're saying is Reasonable Doubt was da Jordan IX olives in 1994 & 2001....no one bought em, and it took years to go by for people to actually respect em. thats all.
This is probably the second time I have ever agreed with you; I feel sick to my stomach now.

I have always said no rap artist benefited from the death of Big & Pac more than Jay. Once they were gone, the field was completely open for him to skyrocket.

Ninja is right that Jayz didn't become a star until Volume 2 in 98, which actually sold more than DMX's albums.  Only thing is by 99 and 2000 Nelly and Eminem had came along and had much higher selling albums than Jay.  That's why he grouped himself with them when he said "only ones moving units is Em, Pimp Juice and us".  It was in that order too

This is probably the second time I have ever agreed with you; I feel sick to my stomach now.

I have always said no rap artist benefited from the death of Big & Pac more than Jay. Once they were gone, the field was completely open for him to skyrocket.

Well hol up cuz DMX was struggling for a while to get on too. A lot of people looked at him as the next Pac.

I don't think Mase woulda took off like that either if Big was still the franchise player for Bad Boy.

Naw they all did, including busta rhymes

Last edited:
Jay just had that drive to be successful.

Knew what he wanted to do and where he wanted to be.

Made a lot of moves to position himself to be where he's at now.

Would have still been successful if Big or Pac would have lived... maybe not to this extent, but he would have still been successful.

Big and Pac would have had falling outs with both of their Bosses in Suge, and Puff over money and royalties.

He was/is smart with his money and his power moves.

Still a snake though...

You could buy Reasonable Doubt at any Wherehouse music store it was always like 5 copies or more in the used section!!!

Same cant be said about Nas, Pac or Outkast etc.. you had to cop those at regular price !

No knock to jayz he was more word of mouth purchases and Nas if i ruled the world was smashing all jayzs singles at that point.

I aint never repped Ninja so many times in one thread in 11 years.
He is absolutely right.
It aint about album sales true, but what he is saying is that people werent checking for his album IN 96.
People were talking about so many OTHER projects MORE than RD.
It doesnt mean that it was trash just that it was ahead of its time.

But you cant tell Magic nothing.
Once he think he knows something you are wasting your time.

You could buy Reasonable Doubt at any Wherehouse music store it was always like 5 copies or more in the used section!!!

Same cant be said about Nas, Pac or Outkast etc.. you had to cop those at regular price !

No knock to jayz he was more word of mouth purchases and Nas if i ruled the world was smashing all jayzs singles at that point.

As much flack that Nas got for sort of going commercial with It was written, I ruled the world was killing it in NYC :x

Let this be a lesson to you dudes out there.......life (rap career's) are a marathon and NOT a race. It's not about how fast you start coming out of the gates but how and where you finish the race at. Safe to say that Jay finished the race at #1 and in a much better position then the rest of his competitors.

"The reason why we lead the pack this a marathon......you start off FAST then you wheezing in the back"

Let this be a lesson to you dudes out there.......life (rap career's) are a marathon and NOT a race. It's not about how fast you start coming out of the gates but how and where you finish the race at. Safe to say that Jay finished the race at #1 and in a much better position then the rest of his competitors.

"The reason why we lead the pack this a marathon......you start off FAST then you wheezing in the back"

Was literally listening to "once again it's on" this morning while getting dressed for work. Random as hell :lol:.

Still can't decide if Hov or Sig had the best verse :lol:. I'm leaning Beanie. Song is just lyrical genius. Bar after bar.

???

LOL 

Nas is still here and expanding his ventures. Puff and 50, same. BIG and Pac died. Mase voluntarily fell back. 50 got Ja.

Who is he in a "much better" position than? That was ever on his level? Only person I can think of that "fell off" and ever was his contemporary is X.

Last edited:

my man Ma$e learned that first hand :lol: :smh:

if you would've told me in 1997-1998 that Jay-Z was gonna lap Ma$e & DMX i would thought you was crazy.

Last edited:

???

LOL 

Nas is still here and expanding his ventures.

You call this "EXPANDING VENTURES" champ??

https://allhiphop.com/2017/06/07/nas-owes-state-california-hundreds-thousands-taxes/

Not sure how you roll but being a wanted man by the IRS is not putting yourself in a good position champ.

Also in regards to Mase.....I wouldn't call getting chased out of New York (literally) voluntarily falling back but if YOU do more power to you.

You call this "EXPANDING VENTURES" champ??

https://allhiphop.com/2017/06/07/nas-owes-state-california-hundreds-thousands-taxes/

Not sure how you roll but being a wanted man by the IRS is not putting yourself in a good position champ.

Also in regards to Mase.....I wouldn't call getting chased out of New York (literally) voluntarily falling back but if YOU do more power to you.
I mean as far as his rap stock that had nothing to do with separate street **** going on but I see what you're saying there.

As far as Nas...I should have known that was the direction you were going 
laugh.gif

I'm not about to Google all of Nas' endeavors to defend his financial honor lol but I do see him making his moves with the Hennessy endorsement, restaurant and venture capitalist firm. He's doing good enough to where it's not like he's a bum compared to Jay.

Last edited:
Man this one of the first time I really gotta agree with Ninja. Everything he said last two pages is spot on about RD. And real talk if it wasn't for "Ain't No N" that thing would have taken years to go gold. That song had females buying the album. That's how you win.

Nas wasn't about da business till waaaay later...i remember his MTV tru life he was still dubbing endorsements as recent as 2002-2003.

Back
Top Bottom