+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

it also mattered in in da 90's cuz da label would drop you and your career was over.
on 1996 standards that joint was a dud, just keep it real b.

no one here slandering da body of work, what & alot of folks is concurring is Reasonable doubt got lost in da sauce in 1996.

Fugees, 2pac, It Was Written, Iron man, Hell on Earth, muddy waterz, etc. all lapped reasonable Doubt in critical Acclaim & album sales.

There you go with the album sales again :lol:

Stop talking about an era you obviously know nothing about, because you were to young or didn't have interest.

i wasn't you b, don't extrapolate my music with what you thought was too young for you.

i got every Source Mag from 1994 to present day.

newflash b, Jay-z wasn't a big deal till 1998.

Hard Knock life Vol. 2 to be exact, and even then he played second fiddle to DMX.

1996 was too crowded for Jay-Z to make a impact, you seen 1996 line up for rap release dates? its probably da best da genre ever had..EVER.

all these albums i had when they first came out.

no one is saying reasonable doubt is trash (its a poor man's Only Built For Cuban Linx but thats another topic) all we're saying is Reasonable Doubt was da Jordan IX olives in 1994 & 2001....no one bought em, and it took years to go by for people to actually respect em. thats all.

I think we need to really look at the gap between AG and TBA... for the 3rd spot in his catalog.

With AG turning 10 years old... i think enough time has passed to place it above the TBA. TBA was great and all, but the weakest joints on there(Justify my thug and Moment of Clarity) vs the weakest joint on AG(Hello Brooklyn) is what gives AG the edge.

Top 4.
RD
BP1
AG
TBA

and 4:44 has NO SKIPS...can we say that about any other Top 4 Jay album besides RD?? Even BP1 has "J****thatN" which is basically filler... When its all said and done 4:44 could really be his 2nd greatest album.

i wasn't you b, don't extrapolate my music with what you thought was too young for you.

Hard Knock life Vol. 2 to be exact, and even then he played second fiddle to DMX.

1996 was too crowded for Jay-Z to make a impact, you seen 1996 line up for rap release dates? its probably da best da genre ever had..EVER.

no one is saying reasonable doubt is trash (its a poor man's Only Built For Cuban Linx but thats another topic) all we're saying is Reasonable Doubt was da Jordan IX olives in 1994 & 2001....no one bought em, and it took years to go by for people to actually respect em. thats all.

Reasonable Doubt, too crowded to make an impact :lol: but he damn near went gold by the end of 1996.

Vol 1 went platinum by your "sales" standards and debuted at number 3 :stoneface:

Ninja is right on this one.....

Hell, Hov himself said the same think on the reasonable doubt Doc iirc

There's a huge in between a huge star and a nobody

He was far from a nobody, and people took that line too literal like a lot of Jay lines.

There's a huge in between a huge star and a nobody

He was far from a nobody, and people took that line too literal like a lot of Jay lines.

Oh...ain't know he called Jay a "nobody" :lol:. Hov had his lane. Any ****** that can get Prime BIG and DJ Premier on their debut album is far from a "nobody".

He only responds to part of statements.

Nobody lauded over Reasonable Doubt in 96?

Yet, it almost went gold by the end of 96 and he was on a soundtrack while not being on Def Jam

So the 400,000 people who bought the album....?

I know albums that nobody bought. I know albums that few knew about, like All City or Cru. But I know if you were in to hip hop you know how good Da Dirty 30 was. Sales didn't determine that. But I would never say crap like people didn't know about Reasonable Doubt if you're from that era and were actually in to New York hip hop.

That sales **** dudes throw out is some revisionist stuff by people who don't know the culture.

So nobody must have really known about MF Doom, because he didn't sell :lol: But the dude who was on Def Jam, videos on Rap City appearing on soundtracks nobody knew about him :lol:

Last edited:

Reasonable Doubt, too crowded to make an impact :lol: but he damn near went gold by the end of 1996.

Vol 1 went platinum by your "sales" standards and debuted at number 3 :stoneface:

*sigh*

Reasonable Doubt

Released: June 25, 1996

]Reached Platinum: February 7, 2002

https://revolt.tv/stories/2017/07/05/fast-jayzs-albums-platinum-years-07001c5197

it got slept on b...why are you resisting reality? [emoji]129300[/emoji]

and to add to Reasonable Doubt being slept on..

JAY-Z
Title: REASONABLE DOUBT
Certification Date: February 7, 2002
Label: ROC-A-FELLA / PRIORITY
Format: ALBUM
SHARE MORE DETAILS
Release Date.June 1, 1996
Category: SOLO
Type: Standard
Certified Units: 1 Million
Genre: None
Previous Certification:
Platinum | February 7, 2002
Gold | September 18, 1996

3 months in da 90's to go gold....

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab_active=default-award&ar=JAY-Z&ti=REASONABLE+DOUBT

compare da same amount of time to Nas in 1996

with It Was Written.

NAS
Title: IT WAS WRITTEN
Certification Date: September 6, 1996
Label: COLUMBIA
SHARE MORE DETAILS
Release Date.June 28, 1996
Category: SOLO
Certified Units: 2 Million
Previous Certification:
2x Multi-Platinum | September 6, 1996
Platinum | September 6, 1996
Gold | September 6, 1996

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab_active=default-award&ar=NAS&ti=IT+WAS+WRITTEN

Last edited:
Reasonable doubt was definitely slept on upon its initial release. Hov himself has said it time and time again. Idk what's so hard to concede about that :lol:.

He was still a known rapper....but the project was retconned in terms of critical acclaim....and sold modestly. Thought this was widely accepted.

One of the greatest albums I've ever heard btw. The older you get...the more relatable and better it gets.

and just for good measure...

FUGEES
Title: THE SCORE
Certification Date: October 3, 1997
Label: RUFFHOUSE / COLUMBIA
SHARE MORE DETAILS
Release Date.January 31, 1996
Category: GROUP
Certified Units: 6 Million
Previous Certification:
6x Multi-Platinum | October 3, 1997
5x Multi-Platinum | September 17, 1996
4x Multi-Platinum | June 13, 1996
3x Multi-Platinum | May 17, 1996
2x Multi-Platinum | April 17, 1996
Platinum | April 17, 1996
Gold | April 17, 1996

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab_active=default-award&ar=FUGEES&ti=THE+SCORE

Last edited:
Debut a classic first album four mics
Shoulda gotta five but _'s lack foresight
But I don't give a **** I ain't do it for the hype
I do it for the hustlas for the ghetto for their plight
For the struggle for those who bubble white
For fly four by fours, roofless cars, flawless ice
For the pain for y'all to know what its like

:pimp:

Last edited:
Reasonable doubt was definitely slept on upon its initial release. Hov himself has said it time and time again. Idk what's so hard to concede about that :lol:.

He was still a known rapper....but the project was retconned in terms of critical acclaim....and sold modestly. Thought this was widely accepted.

that's all im sayin.

"I gave you prophecy on my first joint, and you all lamed out"

bingo.

One of the greatest albums I've ever heard btw. The older you get...the more relatable and better it gets.
bruh is Magic ... Dude is always 100% wrong but somehow be naked himself to be a knowledgeable person that's always right. Then he moves the pole.

Back
Top Bottom