OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Very classy
pimp.gif

i was on a 2 week niketalk vacation but man monday night was crazy watchin the kings win the cup. my boy bought bottles of champegne and everything.

i got some good pics from the parade, wish i coulda got a ticket to the rally but oh well.

never thought i would see the kings win the title. will be nice to see that banner hung in staples.

anyone ever go to that frozen fury preseason game before in vegas?

Just a good article on the Wild and Parise Watch: Kinda sums up the past couple weeks

ST. PAUL, Minn. — New Jersey Devils star Zach Parise's name has been at the tip of the tongues of Minnesota Wild fans for more than a year, in hopes that the Minnesota native would one day return home to be the electrifying scorer Minnesota has missed since Marian Gaborik left town.

As the July 1 start of free agency nears, the Parise watch has only intensified. Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher, unwilling to add any buzz to the speculation, simply deflects the questions as they come.

"It's been a runaway train, for sure, in the media everywhere and not just here," Fletcher said Thursday at his pre-draft press conference. "I think it just speaks to the parity in the league and how much competition there is. And, frankly, it's a year where a lot of teams have money to spend. I've looked. There's a lot of teams with a lot of money to spend. So I think my only statement would be it's probably a good year to be a free agent."

Parise, 27, is a five-time 30-plus goal scorer in six NHL seasons. He's been a playoff hero and has experience on the international stage. He's the pre-eminent goal scorer expected to be available in free agency, and Fletcher has said it's probably time for the Wild to get a "big fish" in free agency as the next step in the organization's development.

The fact that Parise hails from Bloomington and starred at Shattuck-St. Mary's in Faribault adds to the mystique. His dad, J.P., played for the Minnesota North Stars and Zach was born in Minnesota, while J.P. was an assistant coach. 

New Jersey has 17 days left with exclusive negotiating rights, but if the two sides can't come to an agreement, Parise will enter July 1 as an unrestricted free agent, and the Wild are one of several teams rumored to be interested.

Fletcher doesn't need to stoke the flames when it comes to rumors about Parise. There are plenty of others willing to add fuel to the fire.

Lou Nanne, the former North Stars general manager, didn't do Minnesota's current GM any favors this week when he said the Wild's offer is "going to be so substantial that I cannot see Zach Parise turning it down." Speaking on the Dan Barreiro show locally on KFAN radio, Nanne said he had recently had dinner with Minnesota owner Craig Leipold.

"And what Craig told me, how hard he's going to go after him, and the kind of money that he's going after him, I don't see how Parise's not coming here," Nanne said. "I can tell you this, no one is going to outbid the Wild. So if Parise goes somewhere else, you can bet he's going for less money. And what I said, the kind of money that they're going to offer him, he might as well just come here, own the team in his later years and win the Stanley Cup as an owner."

Parise just missed a Stanley Cup this season with the Devils losing to the Los Angeles Kings in the Final. Parise capped a 31-goal, 38-assist regular season with eight goals and seven assists in 24 playoffs games.

Like Fletcher, Parise isn't interested in adding to the speculation. While clearing out his locker on Wednesday, he said he hoped to return to New Jersey. Parise wasn't going to be baited when asked if he would consider playing for New Jersey's rival, the New York Rangers, telling reporters, "No way."

"Don't try to get a headline out of this," Parise said.

Fletcher is cautious not to create headlines as well. There's enough speculation already. In Parise's case, with a lot of money and a lot of interested teams, does Fletcher feel the need to temper the fans' expectations?

"I try not to do anything to the fan base one way or the other," Fletcher said. 

Fletcher doesn't need to when it comes to Parise. The fans know his game well. So does Nanne.

"He's a superb player," Nanne said on KFAN. "He's a player that comes to play with an attitude that's somewhat infectious. He gets other people to play better besides himself, imparting so much to a hockey club. He's the kind of guy you can count on every night. He's the kind of guy that's going to keep himself in condition and will play for a long time. He's the kind of guy that brings fans out of their seats. He excites them. He's got charisma. And he's the kind of guy you want to build a team around."

Just don't ask Fletcher if that's his plan.

I've heard they're willing to go as far as giving him a guaranteed 13 years. I still don't see him in Minnesota but I'll give them a better shot than NJ to get him.

[h1]Top 50 free agent rankings[/h1]
Originally Published: June 18, 2012
By Craig Custance | ESPN Insider

in_parise_suter_576.jpg
Getty ImagesZach Parise and Ryan Suter represent the cream of the 2012 free agent crop.

ESPN Insider's Craig Custance breaks down the top 50 free agents based on the opinions of sources throughout the NHL.

With free agency creeping ever closer, some of the summer's biggest names remain unsigned and their appearance on the open market seems almost inevitable. After chatting with multiple sources throughout the league, I've ranked the likely unrestricted free agent class from 1-50 to provide a sense of what awaits NHL teams on July 1.

As players sign, we will update this list with the contract terms and the players' new teams. However, since NHL free agency is often conducted at the light speed -- particularly on July 1 -- please be patient if a player's capsule is not updated immediately.

That said, here's a look at the top 50 unrestricted free-agents-to-be for 2012.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]Ryan Suter[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 27
Position: D
'11 team: Nashville Predators[/td][td]Status: UFA
Terms: N/A[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
[h4]Ryan Suter[/h4][h5]D
Nashville Predators[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM79
  • G7
  • A39
  • SOG134

Suter edges Zach Parise for the top spot on this list for one simple reason. It's nearly impossible to land a franchise defenseman in free agency. And that's exactly what Suter is. He's been slightly overshadowed in Nashville by partner Shea Weber, but the talent gap between the two is indistinguishable.

"I think Suter makes the team better alone more than Weber makes the team better alone," said one NHL scout. "It's his smarts, puck distribution, getting the play started from his own end, making that last little play, handling it that extra second on the power play."

The lines of communication between Suter and the Predators remain open, so it's possible he stays in Nashville, even if he hits the market. But the Detroit Red Wings have a huge need on defense and plenty of money to spend, making them the favorites. Minnesota will take a run at him too. Suter's personality isn't one that craves the spotlight, so replacing Nicklas Lidstrom could be more pressure than he's comfortable with, but despite that, many see Detroit as the front-runner.

"He wants to win. I think he wants to be the guy," said the scout. "That would fit that situation."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]2[/td][td]Zach Parise[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 27
Position: LW
'11 team: New Jersey Devils[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Zach Parise[/h4][h5]LW
New Jersey Devils[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM82
  • G31
  • A38
  • SOG293

Parise has publicly expressed a desire to remain with New Jersey, and it's not surprising to hear a quality person and captain like Parise feel that sense of loyalty. But as July 1 closes in, it'd still be hard to imagine him not testing the market to see what's out there, especially considering the ownership concerns in New Jersey. The Wild, Red Wings and Kings are the front-runners to land him if he's willing to leave New Jersey.

As good as he is, there's some concern he's not quite at the superstar level in which he's about to get paid. He's best served playing on a team where he can be part of a group of high-end players rather than the focal point of a team's offense, similar in that regard to Marian Hossa. Balancing that minor concern is the fact that his intangibles are off the charts.

"He's our leader out there," said Devils forward Adam Henrique. "Everybody feeds off his energy. He's someone the coach wants you to watch, how hard he works all over the ice with or without the puck. He's the best in the league in getting back on the puck if there's a turnover."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]Jason Garrison[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 27
'11 team: Florida Panthers[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Jason Garrison[/h4][h5]D
Florida Panthers[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM77
  • G16
  • A17
  • SOG168

The biggest priority for Panthers GM Dale Tallon heading into the draft is getting a deal done with Garrison, although Florida already has serious money committed on defense with Brian Campbell earning $7 million per season and Ed Jovanovski $4.25 million.

Tallon liked what he saw with Campbell and Garrison together and wants to continue that growth.

"We obviously have to make sure it's right for both parties," he said.

Garrison's 16 goals trailed only Erik Karlsson and Shea Weber, and his advanced stats (all per behindthenet.ca) were just as impressive. He led the Panthers in both Quality of Competition (0.479) -- which measures the talent of players skating against him -- and Corsi Relative (10.
glasses.gif
-- which measures which team was firing more shots when he was on the ice. He's in for a huge raise from the $700,000 he earned this season. The Canucks are a strong option for Garrison if he can't get a deal done in Florida.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]4[/td][td]Justin Schultz[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 22
'11 team: Wisconsin (NCAA)[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Justin Schultz[/h4][h5]D
Wisconsin Badgers[/h5]
2011-12 STATS (NCAA)
  • GM37
  • G16
  • A28
  • SOG110

Drafted by the Anaheim Ducks in the second round of the 2008 draft, Schultz will hit free agency because he didn't sign with the Ducks during the 30-day window after he declared to the NCAA he was leaving school. He's eligible to sign an entry-level contract with any team on July 1 because of the same loophole that sent Blake Wheeler to the open market. That means the franchise that lands him will have to make a big-time recruiting pitch since entry-level contracts limit how much money he can earn.

He'll have no shortage of aggressive suitors including Vancouver, Toronto, Philadelphia, Detroit, Edmonton and the New York Rangers. Wisconsin continues to develop elite defenseman and Schultz could be the best of a group that includes Jamie McBain, Brendan Smith and Ryan McDonagh.

He's a right-handed shot, great skater and his game is polished enough that he can make the jump to the NHL immediately. There's not a player in this free-agent class who has more upside.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]5[/td][td]http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/839/teemu-selanneTeemu Selanne[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 41
Position: RW
'11 team: Anaheim Ducks[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Teemu Selanne[/h4][h5]RW
Anaheim Ducks[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM82
  • G26
  • A40
  • SOG210

Moments after he skated off the ice in his final home game this season, Selanne told the chanting fans he still had the passion for the game. That's an important part of weighing a retirement decision because once that is gone, it doesn't matter how much skill is remaining.

As he always does, Selanne will take his time in making a decision about his future, but if the passion is still there, the production most certainly is as well. He had 26 goals in 82 games this season and had jump in his game right until the final night, with his icetime managed well by new Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau. He gave every indication that he has one more year left in him. There are plenty of teams that would line up to grab him if he would just give them that chance, but Selanne has remained loyal to the Ducks, and there's no reason to believe that will change next season.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]6[/td][td]Martin Brodeur[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 40
Position: G
[h4]Martin Brodeur[/h4][h5]G
New Jersey Devils[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM59
  • W31
  • L21
  • SV%.908
  • GAA2.41

If he's going to play next year, it's all but a certainty it will be with New Jersey. Now, after a long playoff run in which he re-established himself as one of the game's best big-game goalies, Brodeur has to decide whether or not it's time to retire. He's leaning towards staying but won't rush to a decision.

"I want to make sure I take my time before I do make my decision," Brodeur told ESPN.com colleague Katie Strang. "It's not going to come in the next couple days, that's for sure."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]Alexander Semin[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 28
'11 team: Washington Capitals[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Alexander Semin[/h4][h5]RW
Washington Capitals[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM77
  • G21
  • A33
  • SOG183

Semin might be the most intriguing player on the market. One front-office executive joked that you'll know two weeks after signing him whether or not it was a brilliant move or a train wreck. That won't prevent teams from taking that chance.

"Someone is going to pay him," said an NHL source. "There's nobody else out there."

Semin's camp wants to see his role expand wherever he plays next, including more time on the penalty kill. Since scoring a career-high 40 goals in 2009-10, his goal total has declined each season to just 21 goals in 77 games this season where Dale Hunter limited his ice time. His preference is the NHL, but he will be tempted by big money to play in Russia.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]8[/td][td]P.A. Parenteau[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 29
'11 team: New York Islanders[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]P.A. Parenteau[/h4][h5]RW
New York Islanders[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM80
  • G18
  • A49
  • SOG167

Parenteau finished this season with 67 points, a total higher than guys such as Brad Richards, Patrick Kane and Alex Ovechkin. He's shown a desire to stay with the Islanders, which isn't always the case with potential free agents, but the fact that the two sides have been talking for months and no deal has been struck strongly suggests he's on his way to the market on July 1. It's too bad because John Tavares loved playing with him, as did Matt Moulson.

"Johnny and I obviously had some great chemistry with him," Moulson said. "P.A. was a great playmaker. He has a good mind for the game. He loves giving assists. He's maturing as a player and realizing what you have to do to be a great player in the league."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]9[/td][td]Ray Whitney[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 40
'11 team: Phoenix Coyotes[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Ray Whitney[/h4][h5]LW
Phoenix Coyotes[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM82
  • G24
  • A53
  • SOG185

At 40 years old, Whitney finished second on the Coyotes with 24 goals this season, but that pace slowed in the playoffs in which he scored just twice. He's in a similar situation as teammate Shane Doan in that a decision won't be made in Phoenix until the ownership situation is cleared. If it ever is.

"If we're in Phoenix, he certainly would sign with us," Coyotes GM Don Maloney said. "There's only a couple of places he would sign with, we're one of them. He was a good player for us. If we could sign him, great. I'd certainly do it today if I could do it."

If he doesn't sign with Phoenix, he'd be a good fit for the Carolina Hurricanes who are on the prowl for a top-six forward.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]10[/td][td]Shane Doan[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 35
'11 team: http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/_/name/phx/phoenix-coyotesPhoenix Coyotes[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Shane Doan[/h4][h5]RW
Phoenix Coyotes[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM79
  • G22
  • A28
  • SOG106

If there was no threat of the Coyotes moving and stable ownership in place, chances are Doan would already have a contract in place allowing him to retire in the desert. But that's not the case which means July 1 could arrive with Doan still unsigned, clouding his future a bit.

"I have a really good relationship with Shane," Maloney said. "The only reason I have any hesitation, you just don't know until you really get to that stage."

Even if potential owner Greg Jamison officially closes on a deal that would keep the Coyotes around, Maloney doesn't anticipate a huge increase in his budget, which means a Doan contract still has to be done at the right price.

"We intend to keep Shane, but if you ask me at all costs? It's hard to say," Maloney said. "We're not a team that can overpay. We never have been and we won't be."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]11[/td][td]Matt Carle[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 27
'11 team: Philadelphia Flyers[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Matt Carle[/h4][h5]D
Philadelphia Flyers[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM79
  • G4
  • A34
  • SOG132

For teams that miss out on Suter and Schultz, Carle becomes one of the next best options -- if he even hits free agency. Philadelphia GM Paul Holmgren sounded optimistic that he'd be able to get a deal done with Carle at a reasonable price, and there's been speculation that the Flyers are just waiting until July 1 to announce the deal because of salary cap limitations.

If he hits the market, there will be a line waiting since he's hitting his prime and is a solid two-way option on defense. His 3.2 Corsi Relative trailed only Kimmo Timonen among Flyers defensemen, and he has proven he's safe to pencil in for 40 points each season.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]12[/td][td]Olli Jokinen[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 33
Position: C
'11 team: Calgary Flames[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Olli Jokinen[/h4][h5]C
Calgary Flames[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM82
  • G23
  • A38
  • SOG223

He's the best center available, which says more about the free agent market than it does Jokinen. But he had one of his best seasons in recent memory, posting 61 points in 82 games with the Flames.

His 23 goals were the most he scored since scoring 29 goals while splitting time with the Flames and Coyotes in 2008-09. However, his Corsi Relative was a troubling -6.3, which means he often saw a lot of shots directed against his own net when he was on the ice. Considering the weak market at center, somebody will pay Jokinen, and it won't be cheap either. Chris Kelly earned a deal worth $3 million per season with Bruins and he had 39 points last season. Mikhail Grabovski's new deal averages $5.5 million per season and he had 51 points last season. Jokinen has mileage and limitations but is capable of handling No. 2 center duties.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]13[/td][td]Jiri Hudler[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 28
'11 team: Detroit Red Wings[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Jiri Hudler[/h4][h5]LW
Detroit Red Wings[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM82
  • G25
  • A25
  • SOG127

Hudler scored a career-high 25 goals this season and was one of the few Detroit players to produce offensively during the Red Wings' first-round loss to the Nashville Predators. It was a major bounce-back season from the previous year in which he struggled after spending time in the KHL.

"He's a competitive little guy," said former teammate Chris Osgood. "When people say he can't do something. He'll prove them wrong. He has great hands, a great shot. The puck follows him around. He'll find a way to score, get to the net. He's a gamer and has scored a lot of big goals for us."

In a weak market, the Red Wings don't necessarily want to overpay for him and be stuck with a Ville Leino-like contract on their books, which means there's a strong chance he hits the market where somebody will take a risk on him in a lean free agency class.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]14[/td][td]Josh Harding[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 27
'11 team: Minnesota Wild[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Josh Harding[/h4][h5]G
Minnesota Wild[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM82
  • W13
  • L12
  • SV%.917
  • GAA2.62

He's never played in more than 34 games in a season, but that's likely going to change next season if he doesn't re-sign with the Wild before July 1.

There are potential starting goalie jobs to be had in Toronto, Tampa Bay and Columbus with the Blue Jackets the most likely destination of the three. There's risk though since Harding has never been a starting goalie for an entire season and has trouble staying healthy.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]15[/td][td]Dennis Wideman[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 29
[h4]Dennis Wideman[/h4][h5]D
Washington Capitals[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM82
  • G11
  • A35
  • SOG175

As the Capitals headed into draft week, GM George McPhee said he still hadn't made a decision regarding Wideman's future with the team, which typically isn't a good sign.

A liability on defense at times, Wideman needs to produce offensively to be effective and was held without a goal and had just three assists during the playoffs for the Capitals after scoring 11 goals during the regular season. In 44 playoff games, Wideman has just one goal, which is concerning for contenders looking to add a solid puck mover like Wideman to their defense. If Vancouver doesn't re-sign Sami Salo or land Schultz, Wideman could be a fit for the Canucks. He could also be part of a Plan B in Detroit.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]16[/td][td]Jarret Stoll[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 29
'11 team: Los Angeles Kings[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Jarret Stoll[/h4][h5]C
Los Angeles Kings[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM78
  • G6
  • A15
  • SOG133

Stoll was a crucial member of the Kings' Stanley Cup-winning team, and GM Dean Lombardi will try and get a deal done to bring him back. He's the perfect No. 3 center but ideally not somebody you want in your top-six which means there's a ceiling in how much money can be committed to his spot. There might be more money to be made in free agency if Stoll wants to cash in on an impressive playoff run.

Along with his reliability on defense and in the faceoff circle, he's a great character guy in the dressing room and well liked by teammates.

"He's competitive, he's crazy out there," said Kings forward Colin Fraser. "Always yelling, super intense. You know what you're going to get with Stolli. He's not an up-and-down guy."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]17[/td][td]Barret Jackman[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 31
'11 team: St. Louis Blues[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Barret Jackman[/h4][h5]D
St. Louis Blues[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM81
  • G1
  • A12
  • SOG82

Jackman, Carlo Colaiacovo and Kent Huskins are all scheduled to be unrestricted free agents on July 1 which could wipe out an entire side of the Blues defense.

"We're excited about the right side of our defense," said Blues GM Doug Armstrong. "We have three unrestricted guys on the left side, so we have to make decisions internally or look externally via trade or free agency. We do need to improve the left side of our defense."

As the draft closed in, Armstrong still hadn't ruled out a deal with Jackman for the right price.

"He's a player that we told him we appreciate what he's done here," Armstrong said.

Jackman struggled during the playoffs, which might cost him money at the negotiating table.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]18[/td][td]http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/2984/dustin-pennerDustin Penner[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 29
'11 team: Los Angeles Kings[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Dustin Penner[/h4][h5]LW
Los Angels Kings[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM65
  • G7
  • A10
  • SOG119

There's not a player who benefited more from the Kings' playoff run financially than Penner. If Los Angeles doesn't make the playoffs, it would have been hard to find a team willing to pay much for a player who scored just seven goals in 65 games. But he completed an impressive line with Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, and at some point Lombardi will sit down and talk contract extension once the initial Stanley Cup celebrations are over.

Penner wants to return. If the Kings are going to be serious about pursuing Zach Parise, Penner can't be overpaid even though he impressed teammates with the way he picked up his game in the postseason.

"There's been times in this playoffs where he's taken his game to new levels," said teammate Jarret Stoll. "The one thing everybody notices right away, when he's moving his feet and skating like he is, he's so confident and he can take the puck and hold off guys. He's so big and strong when he gets his feet moving and skating -- that's a pretty tough combination."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]19[/td][td]Hal Gill[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 37
[h4]Hal Gill[/h4][h5]D
Nashville Predators[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM76
  • G1
  • A12
  • SOG49

He was the first of GM David Poile's aggressive moves near the trade deadline and might have been the most effective of all the Predators midseason additions until he was injured. Among Nashville defensemen, only Shea Weber and Ryan Suter consistently faced tougher competition this season than Gill and his addition on the the penalty kill freed up the Predators stars for other duties.

He played hurt during the playoffs with a fractured leg, showing incredible toughness, winning over teammates and the coaching staff. The injury limited him to just 15 minutes per game in five playoff games. He's 6-foot-7, is a great veteran presence in the room and isn't afraid to put his massive body in front of any shot.

"His skating has dropped off," said one scout. "With the size he's got and the reach he's got, he can still be effective in that role."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]20[/td][td]Brad Stuart[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 37
'11 team: Detroit Red Wings[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Brad Stuart[/h4][h5]D
Detroit Red Wings[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM81
  • G6
  • A15
  • SOG96

There's a limited market for Stuart since he prefers to play close to his family in San Jose after commuting to Detroit the last couple years. San Jose traded for his rights, and it's expected that both sides will work out a deal that will keep him in San Jose long-term.

He struggled at times this season with his -8.4 Corsi Relative the lowest among regular Red Wings defensemen. But he's a great character guy, incredible person and a physical presence that the Sharks could use on defense. He's the ideal No. 4 defenseman on a Stanley Cup contender.

"He's underrated offensively," said former teammate Chris Osgood. "He has more offensive talent than people give him credit for. He's tenacious in the defensive zone and he'll do anything to keep the puck out of the net. He's low maintenance. You never have to worry about Brad Stuart."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]21[/td][td]Ryan Smyth[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 36
'11 team: Edmonton Oilers[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Ryan Smyth[/h4][h5]LW
Edmonton Oilers[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM82
  • G19
  • A27
  • SOG194

In a perfect world, Smyth finishes his career and retires with the Edmonton Oilers, a franchise he loves. But there's also reality and finding a salary that works for everybody involved. According to the Edmonton Journal's Jim Matheson, the Oilers have offered Smyth a two-year deal which is fair for a player who is 36 years old and whose production dropped as the season progressed last year. But there's still not a signed contract. If he's willing to leave Edmonton and head East, the Bruins would be a great fit where he'd provide the kind of veteran presence Mark Recchi did during Boston's Stanley Cup run.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]22[/td][td]Bryan Allen[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 31
'11 team: Carolina Hurricanes[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Bryan Allen[/h4][h5]D
Carolina Hurricanes[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM82
  • G1
  • A13
  • SOG87

He finished the season with 188 blocked shots, which put him in the top five among league leaders. He's also one of the toughest defensemen on the market.

"You're getting character," said an Eastern Conference executive. "He's a limited guy but he's a high-character guy who comes to play every night."

He shouldn't crack your top-four on defense but is a strong bottom pair option for a contending team.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]23[/td][td]Jaromir Jagr[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 40
'11 team: Philadelphia Flyers[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Jaromir Jagr[/h4][h5]RW
Philadelphia Flyers[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM73
  • G19
  • A35
  • SOG170

For most of the season he had great chemistry with Claude Giroux.

"They're both give-and-go guys," said GM Paul Holmgren during the season. "They both have good vision and know how to move the puck. Jaro can still shoot a puck."

But Jagr's production dropped off as the season moved forward. He was nearly at a point-per-game pace through December and that production slowly dwindled as the playoffs got closer. He had just one goal in the playoffs for the Flyers and was a minus-5.

The Flyers remain the front-runner to retain his services, and if he stays in Philadelphia they should explore the best ways, besides a lockout, to keep him fresh and healthy for the playoffs.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]24[/td][td]Adrian Aucoin[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 38
[h4]Adrian Aucoin[/h4][h5]D
Phoenix Coyotes[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM64
  • G2
  • A7
  • SOG92

Aucoin was a valuable player for the Coyotes this season, but there's young talent coming on the Phoenix blue line that may squeeze him out of a spot in the desert.

"David Rundblad came in and flashed brilliance," said GM Don Maloney. "Can he take the same step forward that [Oliver] Ekman-Larsson did last year? Mike Stone came in from February on and he muscled his way into our lineup and was a good player."

Coyotes management also regrets not finding more time for defenseman Max Goncharov, a player who will get opportunity next year.

"He has the physical tools," Maloney said. "You will see this guy, he's a force. He's strong, can skate. Next year, we have got to [play him] or else he's long gone."

Aucoin is a strong veteran presence on defense who consistently played the toughest minutes for Coyotes coach Dave Tippett.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]25[/td][td]Steve Sullivan[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 37
'11 team: Pittsburgh Penguins[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Steve Sullivan[/h4][h5]LW
Pittsburgh Penguins[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM79
  • G17
  • A31
  • SOG140

Sullivan ended up being a nice fit for the Penguins, finishing the season with 48 points in 79 games.

There haven't been any substantive contract talks between Sullivan and his agent Stephen Bartlett, but Bartlett hopes to sit down with Penguins GM Ray Shero at the draft and see if there's a deal to be struck.

"He liked it a lot there," Bartlett said. "Obviously, Pittsburgh has a lot on its plate. Ray [Shero] has to work on it in some order. Steve had a real good year. Hopefully, we can find something in Pittsburgh."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]26[/td][td]Bryce Salvador[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 36
[h4]Bryce Salvador[/h4][h5]D
New Jersey Devils[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM82
  • G0
  • A9
  • SOG52

Salvador was one of the best stories of the postseason, in which he was a critical member of the New Jersey defense after missing all of last season with a concussion. He went 82 regular season games without a goal and then scored four goals in the postseason. His 14 playoffs points (five more than his regular season total) trailed only Drew Doughty among defensemen in the playoffs.

Like Dustin Penner, Salvador's playoff performance will equal a bigger deal when it comes time to talk contract.

"It all started with that empty net goal in Philly," said teammate Andy Greene. "You may think it's something small, sometimes that's what it takes for some guys. A little bounce here, and you get rewarded. All of a sudden, it starts to snowball."

And Greene didn't think the performance was a fluke.

"He's the hardest worker there is. He takes care of himself and does everything right," he said.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]27[/td][td]Filip Kuba[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 35
'11 team: Ottawa Senators[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Filip Kuba[/h4][h5]D
Ottawa Senators[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM73
  • G6
  • A26
  • SOG78

Kuba went from early-season trade fodder to a player who helped the Senators make a surprising playoff berth. His turnaround under Paul MacLean was dramatic, doubling his point output from 16 to 32. He went from a minus-26 last season to a plus-26 this season, no doubt aided by partner Erik Karlsson's breakout season.

He was earning $3.7 million per season, and Bryan Murray recently told the Ottawa Citizen that they weren't interested in keeping him at that price. He's likely headed to July 1 and free agency.

"He's going to get his money," Murray told the paper. "I think he's going to get similar money to what he was earning with us. And I'm not going to go there, I don't think."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]28[/td][td]Michal Rozsival[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 33
[h4]Michal Rozsival[/h4][h5]D
Phoenix Coyotes[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM54
  • G1
  • A12
  • SOG49

Internally, the Coyotes have some decisions to make regarding their veteran defense.

"Guys like Adrian Aucoin and Rozsival, they were important players for us," Maloney said, adding that further meetings with coaches were needed before making a final decision on his potential free agent defensemen.

The Coyotes leaned heavily on Rozsival during the playoffs, where he was third on the team in average icetime per game at 22:49 but he didn't register a point in 15 postseason games.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]29[/td][td]Paul Gaustad[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 30
[h4]Paul Gaustad[/h4][h5]C
Nashville Predators[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM70
  • G7
  • A14
  • SOG75

Nashville paid a steep price in acquiring Gaustad from the Sabres at the trade deadline for a first-round pick, but he delivered what you'd expect from him. He finished the season with a faceoff winning percentage of 57.3. That number increased to 60.1 percent in the playoffs.

He's a big body you can trust in the defensive zone who has his limitations offensively. In 24 regular season and playoff games with the Preds, he had one goal. Like most of the Predators unrestricted free agents, Gaustad may want to wait to see what happens with Suter, which puts the Predators in a tough spot.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]30[/td][td]Martin Biron[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 34
'11 team: New York Rangers[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Martin Biron[/h4][h5]G
New York Rangers[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM21
  • W12
  • L6
  • SV%.904
  • GAA2.50

Biron was brought in to manage Henrik Lundqvist's ice time, and the move worked exactly as planned. He's one of the most ideal backup goalies in the league, and according to ESPNNewYork.com's Katie Strang, the two sides are progressing in contract talks that would result in a multi-year deal for the goalie.

One slight concern is that his second half of the season wasn't quite as strong as his first. In 12 games before the All-Star break, Biron was 9-2 with a 1.87 goals against average and .927 save percentage. After the break, those numbers dropped to 3-4-2 with a 3.18 goals against and .874 save percentage.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]31[/td][td]Carlo Colaiacovo[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 29
'11 team: St. Louis Blues[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Carlo Colaiacovo[/h4][h5]D
St. Louis Blues[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM64
  • G2
  • A17
  • SOG68

He's an intriguing option for teams looking for defense. Nobody on the Blues defense consistently played against tougher competition, and his 3.6 Corsi relative was the third-best among St. Louis defensemen who played at least 40 games.

But he has trouble staying healthy and leaves scouts wanting more.

"He's kind of a tease," said one NHL scout. "He's been able to put up some numbers. He's a bit of a fragile defenseman as far as getting banged around."

But there's still potential there.

"He played well this year, said the scout. "He was better in his own zone this year and played a smarter game. He still makes some young reads. He's a bottom-pair defenseman that you bring up."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]32[/td][td]Andrei Kostitsyn[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 27
[h4]Andrei Kostitsyn[/h4][h5]RW
Nashville Predators[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM72
  • G16
  • A20
  • SOG122

GM David Poile took a risk in acquiring Kostitsyn from the Canadiens, and it backfired when Kostitsyn broke curfew during the playoffs, leading to his benching. He has the talent, but if he leaves Nashville, that's now three teams in the last year for a player with a high skill level. He's a big risk.

"No thank you. No thank you," said an NHL source. "He's talented but for years people have been fooled by talent and enamored by skill and blinded by ability. Without the will and the work, boy it just gets wasted. This guy leaves you wanting more. You can't be a part-time player or part-of-the-way player in this league."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]33[/td][td]Travis Moen[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 30
'11 team: Montreal Canadiens[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Travis Moen[/h4][h5]LW
Montreal Canadiens[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM48
  • G9
  • A7
  • SOG45

Moen may be a luxury for a rebuilding team such as Montreal, but he'll draw serious interest from contenders looking to add a 6-foot-2 physical presence and solid defensive forward into the mix.

Teams still remember how instrumental that checking line of Samuel Pahlsson, Rob Niedermayer and Moen were when the Ducks won the Stanley Cup. He's still just 30 years old and probably would have broken his career-high in goals last year if he stayed healthy. He had nine in 48 games, the most he's scored since putting up 11 goals for the 2006-07 Ducks.

The Red Wings will definitely be interested in Moen, and if San Jose parts ways with Daniel Winnik, the Sharks should look hard at him too.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]34[/td][td]Sheldon Souray[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 35
'11 team: Dallas Stars[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Sheldon Souray[/h4][h5]D
Dallas Stars[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM64
  • G6
  • A15
  • SOG179

GM Joe Nieuwendyk got Souray at a discount last year, signing him to a one-year deal worth $1.65 million as Souray worked to re-establish himself as an NHL defenseman. Now the defenseman is in for a raise.

Based on his Corsi Quality of Competition (1.597), he was the defenseman coach Glen Gulutzan trusted most. No other blueliner on the Stars consistently faced better players. At 35 years old, he averaged more than 20 minutes of ice time per game and still has that big shot from the point. One concern is that four of his six goals came in the first two months of the season. It's a strong bet he remains in Dallas where he enjoyed playing.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]35[/td][td]Jaroslav Spacek[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 38
'11 team: Carolina Hurricanes[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Jaroslav Spacek[/h4][h5]D
Carolina Hurricanes[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM46
  • G5
  • A10
  • SOG42

Carolina GM Jim Rutherford has built a nice stable of young defensemen with guys like Justin Faulk, Ryan Murphy and Brian Dumoulin set to populate the Hurricanes defense for years to come. Or at least until one is shipped to Pittsburgh in a Jordan Staal trade.

The stockpile makes Spacek expendable. While Tim Gleason and Bryan Allen saw most of the tough minutes on Carolina's defense, Spacek was effective during his 16:05 per game, finishing with a team-best Corsi Relative of 7.5. He was one of only two Hurricanes defensemen to finish the season as plus players.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]36[/td][td]Mikael Samuelsson[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 35
[h4]Mikael Samuelsson[/h4][h5]RW
Florida Panthers[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM54
  • G14
  • A17
  • SOG138

Garrison is Florida's big-name free agent, but in the conference call after he signed his own contract extension, GM Dale Tallon said that Samuelsson and backup goalie Scott Clemmensen were both players he'd like to retain.

"We like the makeup of our team," Tallon said. "We like the people and the character that they have, and those are two character guys that really played well for us. We are talking to them, and we would like to get something done that makes sense for us."

Samuelsson was acquired in a deal that allowed Tallon to get out of David Booth's long-term contract, and his production picked up in the second half of the season. During the 33 games after the All-Star break, Samuelsson had 11 goals and nine assists.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]37[/td][td]Francis Bouillon[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 36
[h4]Francis Bouillon[/h4][h5]D
Nashville Predators[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM66
  • G4
  • A7
  • SOG38

At one point, Bouillon was leading the playoffs in plus/minus and finished plus-7 in 10 games for the Predators. If Nashville doesn't sign him, don't be surprised if the Canadiens make a push since new coach Michel Therrien knows him well from their time together in the QMJHL.

"My one big regret is that I was not able to coach Francis Bouillon when I was there," Therrien once told the Montreal Gazette of his first tenure with the Canadiens.

He could get the opportunity to correct that.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]38[/td][td]Brett Clark[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 35
'11 team: Tampa Bay Lightning[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Brett Clark[/h4][h5]D
Tampa Bay Lightning[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM82
  • G2
  • A13
  • SOG61

Shot-blocking became a major theme of the playoffs, especially early on in the playoffs, which could be a good thing for Clark. He finished second in the NHL last season with 199 blocked shots, trailing only Josh Gorges, who finished with 250.

His offensive production declined from 31 points in 2010-11 to just 15 last season, and he was a minus-26. He still has that booming slap shot and is capable of bouncing back offensively. He'd be a nice fit in New York where the Rangers' defense could use more depth.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]39[/td][td]Jonas Gustavsson[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 27
'11 team: Toronto Maple Leafs[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Jonas Gustavsson[/h4][h5]G
Toronto Maple Leafs[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM42
  • W17
  • L17
  • SV%.902
  • GAA2.92

He won't come with the hype that accompanied him the last time he was on the market, but there are plenty of teams that remember how highly touted he was coming out of Sweden. He didn't produce in Toronto, but his high skill level will have teams calling on July 1.

One executive thought he had the potential to be next season's version of Mike Smith or Brian Elliott if he was signed by the right team.

"I like him," he said. "He'll be better somewhere else. When he first came over, he was unbelievable and changed his style. He's caught in between. It was like a golfer changing swings. He's going to be really good somewhere else."

With Tampa already trading for Preds' backup Anders Lindback, Gustavsson's best option for playing time is in Columbus.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]40[/td][td]Ryan Carter[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 28
[h4]Ryan Carter[/h4][h5]C
New Jersey Devils[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM72
  • G4
  • A4
  • SOG50

Carter provided the Devils with a physical presence during the playoffs and also scored some crucial goals, including a pair of game-winners during their run to the Stanley Cup finals. After finishing with eight points in 65 regular season games, Carter was nearly as productive in 23 playoff games, putting up seven points.

He's a fourth-line guy but proved to be a valuable one playing with Steve Bernier and Stephen Gionta.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]41[/td][td]Joe Corvo[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 34
'11 team: Boston Bruins[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Joe Corvo[/h4][h5]D
Boston Bruins[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM75
  • G4
  • A21
  • SOG168

He won't be back with the Bruins, partly because GM Peter Chiarelli wants to give impressive prospect Dougie Hamilton a shot at making the team in training camp. The other part is that he wasn't a great fit in Claude Julien's defensive system.

Julien sheltered him from the best opposing players, which helped boost a somewhat misleading plus-10. Still, he's just one year removed from a 40-point season and a decent option for teams looking for an offensive defenseman.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]42[/td][td]Daniel Winnik[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 27
'11 team: San Jose Sharks[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Daniel Winnik[/h4][h5]LW
San Jose Sharks[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM84
  • G8
  • A15
  • SOG184

It took some adjustment time after he was traded from Colorado to San Jose, but by the end of the regular season, Winnik was helping San Jose's fourth line become one of its most effective. He plays tough minutes and, among the Sharks, only Dominic Moore started his shift in the offensive zone less often than Winnik did last season.

He's a physical presence who is capable of reaching double-digit goals each season. The Blackhawks, Predators and Bruins would all be a great fit for Winnik if he doesn't reach a deal with San Jose.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]43[/td][td]Ruslan Fedotenko[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 33
[h4]Ruslan Fedotenko[/h4][h5]LW
New York Rangers[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM73
  • G9
  • A11
  • SOG94

He's not going to light things up offensively, but he's one of the few players on a growing New York team who knows how to win a Stanley Cup. His experience is invaluable in the dressing room, and it's the kind of experience that would help any team on the verge of winning.

"Winning kind of follows him where he goes," said Fedotenko's agent Allan Walsh. "The pedigree, the two Cups already and another pretty strong playoffs according to [John] Tortorella."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]44[/td][td]Sami Salo[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 37
'11 team: Vancouver Canucks[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Sami Salo[/h4][h5]D
Vancouver Canucks[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM69
  • G9
  • A16
  • SOG136

The 37-year-old Salo played in 69 games last season, the most he's appeared in since 2003-04, which is a good sign for a player with a long history of injuries. He also quietly had a very productive season with nine goals, including seven on the power play.

Only Alexander Edler saw more time per game among Canucks defensemen on the Vancouver power play, a hole GM Mike Gillis would have to fill if Salo leaves in free agency. There will be strong interest, even if it's short-term, in Salo if he hits the market.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]45[/td][td]Lee Stempniak[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 29
'11 team: Calgary Flames[/td][td]Status: UFA
[h4]Lee Stempniak[/h4][h5]RW
Calgary Flames[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM61
  • G14
  • A14
  • SOG130

He's a smart offensive player who also is one of the league's streakiest scorers. If he plays a full season, it's safe to pencil him in for 20 goals. Last season under Brent Sutter, he started 49.4 percent of his shifts in the offensive zone and finished there 53.2 percent of the time, a sign that the puck tends to go in the right direction when he's on the ice. Dallas should consider giving him a look if Stempniak hits the market.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]46[/td][td]Johan Hedberg[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 39
[h4]Johan Hedberg[/h4][h5]G
New Jersey Devils[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM27
  • W17
  • L7
  • SV%.918
  • GAA2.22

Hedberg turned in another fine season as Martin Brodeur's backup in New Jersey, lowering his goals-against average for the third consecutive season. The longer he plays, the better he seems to get.

He's loved by teammates and outworked by none of them. If the Devils decide to go younger, he'll have no problem finding another backup job, assuming he wants to continue playing, which he indicated he did during New Jersey's locker cleanout.

"I anticipate Heddy will continue to play as he is coming off another outstanding season and has shown no signs of slowing down," wrote his agent Rick Komarow in an e-mail. "However, he needs to discuss this with his family and decide what he wants to do."

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]47[/td][td]Scott Clemmensen[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 34
[h4]Scott Clemmensen[/h4][h5]G
Florida Panthers[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM30
  • W14
  • L6
  • SV%.913
  • GAA2.57

The Panthers like Clemmensen, who was very solid in relief of Jose Theodore this season, but their goalie situation is a bit cloudy. They have a prospect in Jacob Markstrom who will be pushing for playing time, and GM Dale Tallon will consider the idea of trading for Vancouver goalie Roberto Luongo if it makes sense. That doesn't leave much room for Clemmensen, who would have no trouble finding work elsewhere as a backup.

If the Wild let Josh Harding walk, Clemmensen would be a good option in Minnesota to bridge the gap until Matt Hackett is ready.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]48[/td][td]Brandon Prust[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 28
[h4]Brandon Prust[/h4][h5]RW
New York Rangers[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM82
  • G5
  • A12
  • SOG68

He's physical, he kills penalties, he's not afraid to fight -- he's nearly the ideal John Tortorella forward. He fits the Rangers identity so well that it's easy to forget he ever played with the Flames and Coyotes.

His scoring was down to five goals from 13 a year ago, which is a concern for a team that has trouble scoring to begin with. But if his contract demands aren't too high, it would make a lot of sense for GM Glen Sather to keep him around.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]49[/td][td]Mike Knuble[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 39
[h4]Mike Knuble[/h4][h5]RW
Washington Capitals[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM72
  • G6
  • A12
  • SOG91

Knuble saw his goal total drop dramatically from 24 last season to just six goals in 72 games this season. That's troubling. But he showed in the playoffs he can still be a useful player in providing chaos in front of the net, and that presence helped set up Joel Ward's game-winning goal that eliminated the Bruins in the first round.

Knuble had two goals in 11 playoff games for the Capitals and is a great locker room guy. Knuble spends time in Michigan and expressed interest in returning to Detroit, where he started his career during the 1996-97 season.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][/tr][tr][td]50[/td][td]Samuel Pahlsson[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Age: 34
'11 team: Vancouver Canucks[/td][td]Status: Signed, Modo (SEL)
Terms: 3 yrs[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
[h4]Samuel Pahlsson[/h4][h5]C
Vancouver Canucks[/h5]
2011-12 STATS
  • GM80
  • G4
  • A13
  • SOG93

Acquired at the trade deadline, Pahlsson played a valuable role on Vancouver's third line. He's the kind of center who plays valuable minutes against the toughest competition and led the Canucks in Corsi Quality of Competition at .558. He also consistently wins faceoffs, finishing the season at 52.6 percent. If he doesn't get an NHL deal, he'll have a job waiting for him in Sweden.

Originally Posted by frink85

awesome pics FB23!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
damn the crowd outside staples was deep...did you get to see the players pretty well?
Thanks. �Yeah I did, you would think these guys were from California wearing shorts and sandals�
laugh.gif

Great rally, the tribute video was�
pimp.gif

TSN's 2012 Draft Rankings (1-60):

Spoiler [+]
Ten NHL scouts are surveyed and asked to numerically rank the prospects. The survey results are thrown into the hopper and a consensus ranking, an average of sorts, is arrived at. This process is not to be confused with the many scouting services that subjectively rank the prospects on potential to be NHL players. Ultimately, TSN's list is basically a projection of where in the draft we believe that player will be chosen and over the years it has proven to be a relatively reliable indicator in terms of a range the prospects are taken.

[h3]1. Nail Yakupov[/h3]
yakupov_sm_49285.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Sarnia[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Right Wing[/td] [td]Height: 5'11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 42 GP, 31 G, 69 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 190 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 1 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 1, The Hockey News: No. 1, Button's Ranking: No. 1[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Nail is arguably the best skater in the 2012 draft. It's a blend of speed, power, quickness and agility that threatens and creates opportunities in the blink of an eye. He goes as fast as is necessary; seemingly just far enough ahead that creates desperation in opponents. His mind quickness and IQ is another weapon in his arsenal and he quickly sizes up opportunities for exploitation. He can play at high speed and his hands keep up and with an accurate shot which creates challenges for goaltenders. Excellent sense and can make plays that make him very challenging to keep in check. He competes and is not a one dimensional player and is not averse to initiating physical play. He found ways to be productive for his team despite being closely checked this past season and without his talented team mate Alex Galchenyuk. A blend of skill and desire with a star quality that should make him exciting to watch in the years ahead. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]2. Ryan Murray[/h3]
murray-sm_49384.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Everett[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'0.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 46 GP, 9 G, 31 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 195 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 2 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 3, The Hockey News: No. 4, Button's Ranking: No. 13[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Ryan has a sense and poise that makes it look like the game he is playing is incredibly easy. He never gets rattled and this has a calming effect on the entire team. His skating is effortless and fluid and he uses it to his advantage, especially defensively. His feet work is excellent and is able to handle an opponent's speed and quickness without giving up position. He can beat pressure and this allows his team to get out of their own end and move up ice. His awareness and vision is excellent and he gets the puck to the right people at the right time despite what challenges he may be confronted with. Offensively, he is efficient but he will help the offense because his decision making with the puck allows his team to sustain the attack. He will not race up and down the ice 'catching' your eye but he brings a competitiveness, composure and determination that is incredibly valuable to winning. He helps individuals and teams be better and ultimately he is that player you know you can 'win with.'[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]3. Filip Forsberg[/h3]
forsberg_44784.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Leksand[/td] [td]League: SWE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 43 GP, 8 G, 17 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 181 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 1 ES, International Scouting Services: No. 2, The Hockey News: No. 2, Button's Ranking: No. 7[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Filip is a blend of high end skill and indomitable will. Skill that allows him to produce offensively and a will that makes it very challenging for opponents to stop him. He's a very strong skater with power in his stride and combined with speed, he's capable of opening up ice for himself and backing up defenders. Possessing very good agility, he uses this to maneuver in the 'tight' areas around the net and make himself dangerous. His shot is hard and accurate and he can score from 35-40 feet. His release is outstanding which doesn't allow goalies to get an accurate read on it. He can shoot off the pass as well as being able to shoot in stride. He recognizes opportunities and he has a hunger to score. He's not one-dimensional though and is capable of making plays and creating offensive chances with his passing. He gets involved in the physical game and while he may not be punishing, he's assertive in establishing his presence and gaining valuable space for himself. With a playmaking center, he could be a prolific scorer in the NHL. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]4. Griffin Reinhart[/h3]
griff1_41999.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Edmonton[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 58 GP, 12 G, 36 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 207 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 10 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 6, The Hockey News: No. 8, Button's Ranking: No. 6[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Griffin may be a 'diamond in the rough' but he possesses the 'carats' of a unique player. He has a an excellent understanding of the game with a composure and patience that may suggest a 'lack of urgency' but don't be confused, his competitive waters run deep and he's capable of being aggressive and assertive when necessary. He is a very good skater with strong balance and agility and along with his size, he is extremely difficult to break down 1-1 and gain an advantage on. He uses his body effectively and doesn't lose position and is capable of punishing opponents. His vision is very good, he sees the play unfolding, knows what his options are and is capable of doing this very quickly. He makes very good plays in all areas of the game and ones that gain advantages for his team. His offensive skills continue to evolve and he is increasingly confident creating offense. Griffin has an assuredness in his play and along with his skill and physical attributes, makes him a player who has a chance to be an impact player in the NHL.[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]5. Alex Galchenyuk[/h3]
galchenyuk-sm_49608.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Sarnia[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 2 GP, 0 G, 0 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 198 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 4 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 14, The Hockey News: No. 7, Button's Ranking: No. 4[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Alex is the center who makes everybody around him better and helps teams win. It begins with an excellent understanding of all the essential elements in the game. He plays a complete game and is a competitor in all the critical areas. He doesn't take shortcuts and values the plays that are important to winning. His IQ is terrific and he has the ability to 'size up' a situation and know what must be done to take advantage either offensively or defensively. He helps his line mates take full advantage of their skills by utilizing his understanding and excellent skills to create opportunities. His puck play is outstanding and he has the ability to beat you multiple ways with his hands; either passing, stickhandling or shooting. His skating is strong and while he will not wow you with any 'eye catching' speed, he has skating effectiveness in that he is able to change speeds and keep defenders at bay because of it. Assertive with his body and he plays in traffic well and gains advantages 1-1. Given an injury-free season, he would have been capable of dominating. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]6. Mathew Dumba[/h3]
dumba_sm_58718.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Red Deer[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 69 GP, 20 G, 57 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 183 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 11 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 8, The Hockey News: No. 5, Button's Ranking: No. 2[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Matt has the ability to impact the game in multiple ways. He can do it offensively, defensively and physically which is a rare blend in defensemen. It begins with excellent skating ability that is founded in great balance and agility and he uses these elements in the various areas to make that impact. Whether skating the puck up ice, being able to handle opponents 1-1 or delivering 'bone rattling' hits, his skating foundation is at the root of his game. He has excellent puck skills with a powerful shot that can overwhelm goaltenders. He passes the puck well and sees the play well. He understands the various situations in the game and what may be necessary at any given point to give his team an advantage. He's capable of intimidating opponents with both his skill and his physical presence and does not play with a reckless abandon. He's focused on the ice and can play in all critical situations and be a force of will and skill. A leader who lets his actions do the talking. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]7. Teuvo Teravainen[/h3]
136043851-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Jokerit[/td] [td]League: FIN[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 5'11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 40 GP, 11 G, 18 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 165 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 2 ES, International Scouting Services: No. 9, The Hockey News: No. 12, Button's Ranking: No. 5[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Teuvo possesses the proverbial 'calm in the eye of the storm' patience. When everything around him appears chaotic and without pattern, he is has the uncanny ability to remain calm, poised and fully aware of his options. He has 360 degrees vision and awareness and there is no player or possibility he is not aware of when he has the puck. He is elusive and is like a chess player in that he can anticipate moves 3-4 steps ahead of his opponent. Excellent agility and balance & he maneuvers away from danger and opposing checks very well. Great hands in traffic and he's able to make any type of pass under any circumstance and he has a very good shot that makes him a multiple threat when he's on the ice. There may a tendency to underestimate him based on his size but it's not a deterrent to him in any way because he has the ability to play the game to his strengths regardless of the challenges and obstacles he may be faced with on the ice. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]8. Morgan Rielly[/h3]
rielly_sm_54418.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Moose Jaw[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 18 GP, 3 G, 18 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 190 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 5 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 7, The Hockey News: No. 6, Button's Ranking: No. 3[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Morgan is the defenseman who is ever elusive. When an opponent has him in a seemingly difficult spot, it can quickly become a case of a 'vanishing act' because he is so adept at escaping trouble. He is a superb skater who has the ability to change gears in stride and beat pressure or create an opportunity by beating an opponent 1-1. He is very smart and recognizes very quickly where his skating can be an advantage and then utilizes it. He is always thinking 2 and 3 steps ahead both from an offensive and defensive standpoint. There may not be a better passer in the draft. Combined with excellent vision, his passes are made where you are given an advantage and not where you must deal with complications. He uses his body in such an effective manner and while not a physically imposing player, he is one who is very difficult to gain the upper hand on. He plays the game with a brilliant mind and then with his blend of high end skill and desire, he becomes a player capable of dominating. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]9. Jacob Trouba[/h3]
trouba-sm_69697.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: USNTDP[/td] [td]League: USHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 22 GP, 4 G, 18 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 196 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 9 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 5, The Hockey News: No. 9, Button's Ranking: No. 12[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Jacob is an initiating player who takes charge. It begins with an intense desire to impact the game in some way. He takes charge of situations and if an opponent is not prepared to commit 100% versus him, he will find himself falling short. He is a very strong skater, with excellent balance & this allows him to jump into the attack and move up ice but it also allows him to deliver 'bone jarring' hits as well as fend off opposing checks. With his size and skating combination, he's a very difficult player to break down defensively and to gain the upper hand on. Very good understanding of the game and his awareness and poise allows him to make strong plays under pressure. He moves the puck well and can make plays offensively but his best offensive weapon is a heavy shot that can overwhelm goalies and creates challenges for them in terms of corralling it. He thrives in the competitive moments and the bigger the game, the better he is. He plays to win and there is no sacrifice he won't make in the game to help his team win. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]10. Olli Maatta[/h3]
137652069-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: London[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 58 GP, 5 G, 32 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 202 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 8 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 12, The Hockey News: No. 20, Button's Ranking: No. 28[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Olli plays the game with a 'workmanlike' approach. He has a strong hockey IQ and reads the play and understands what the challenges are and what the appropriate responses should be. He anticipates the play so well and it allows him to get on top of opponents defensively despite not being blessed with 'closing' quickness. He is a 'heads up' player and is finely attuned to the game. He competes in 1-1 battles and doesn't give in at all. He's not punishing but he's physical and assertive. His passing is good and he gets the puck to the right areas and he does it quickly. There is no lingering in his play. Offensively he gained tremendous confidence in the latter part of the season and it became a significant weapon for him and his team. Jumping into the attack and being assertive was a testament to his becoming increasingly confident in his abilities and expanding his game. He is a player who can continue to develop and he shows the desire and determination to do exactly that.[/td][/tr][/table]
[h3]11. Radek Faksa[/h3]
137794406-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Kitchener[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 69 GP, 29 G, 66 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 203 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 7 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 16, The Hockey News: No. 11, Button's Ranking: No. 17[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Radek is cut from the mold of a classic center. He moves around the ice looking for opportunities and ready to exploit the weakness in an opponent. He has an excellent feel for the game and knows how to get himself into advantageous positions without the puck and then when he does have the puck, he is extremely capable of taking advantage and creating chances. He can create offense in multiple ways, with his playmaking, his shot, and his willingness to engage physically. He is still developing physically but his skating base is very good without any noticeable weakness and as he becomes stronger, it will give him more speed and quickness to be that much better. He plays very well in defensive situations because of his IQ but is very adept at transitioning quickly to offense. He gains advantages with physical play and is willing to play in traffic and along the boards. When he matures, he will be a blend of skill and size which is both coveted and important to winning.[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]12. Mikhail Grigorenko[/h3]
grigorenko_sm_47956.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Quebec[/td] [td]League: QMJHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 59 GP, 40 G, 85 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 200 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 3 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 4, The Hockey News: No. 3, Button's Ranking: No. 20[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Mikhail possesses a unique blend of skill and size. He's an excellent skater with a long stride who seemingly just moves past defenders with ease. He carries the puck very well and because he can change gears in stride, it makes him very difficult to deter. A very good passer who makes plays on the move and is able to do it in traffic. He has good sense and vision and sees the potential for offensive opportunities and he creates chances. His shot is good but not threatening at this time but he shows a willingness to make this more of a weapon for himself. Because of his size and wing span, he is extremely effective defensively and he's able to force opponents away from dangerous areas and he is also able to fend off checkers when he's in offensive situations. He plays the game both ways and while he's not a physical presence, he is a player who creates challenges for opponents because of the skill and his size which he knows how to utilize to gain advantages. He possesses qualities and a potential that realized could make him a star. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]13. Zemgus Girgensons[/h3]
121256012-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Dubuque[/td] [td]League: USHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 43 GP, 19 G, 44 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 198 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 18 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 24, The Hockey News: No. 16, Button's Ranking: No. 16[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Zemgus is a hard player. Hard on the puck, hard on the body, hard competitor, hard working and hard to play against. He is industrious and purposeful but one can't underestimate his skills. His skating is strong with excellent balance which makes it very difficult for opponents to deter him, let alone knock him awry. He has very good puck skills and while there may not be a 'deft' touch to his passing, there certainly is an effectiveness and accuracy to it. He has a good shot but has a burning desire to take the puck to the net. He's like the running back who excels in goal line situations, going through the gauntlet has more appeal and satisfaction than making it untouched. His sense is very good and he plays equally well in offensive and defensive situations. He plays with a determination that will overwhelm those who are not up to the challenge. He's the player you love to have on your side and hate to play against. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]14. Cody Ceci[/h3]
106635482-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Ottawa[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 64 GP, 17 G, 60 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 207 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 6 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 10, The Hockey News: No. 10, Button's Ranking: No. 11[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Cody is the prototypical 'work horse' player. He goes about the game playing in all of the important situations and at the critical times, seemingly effortless but with an incredible effectiveness and efficiency that goes unheralded but is ultimately important to winning. He plays a game that is rooted in his razor sharp attention to detail, strong positioning and an awareness of what he can do to shift the balance to his team's favour. He does it in so many ways; eliminating opponents in defensive situations, getting the puck up the ice, either by passing or skating, jumping into the attack when required, running the power play with a combination of passing and shooting and helping kill penalties with whatever sacrifices are necessary. He possesses all of the requisite skills, physical and mental, as well as a determination to make a difference in the game in some way, shape or form. He is a coach's dream in that when he is on the ice, the game is under control and your team has an increased chance of success.[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]15. Hampus Lindholm[/h3]
143304077-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Rogle Jr.[/td] [td]League: SWE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 28 GP, 5 G, 17 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 196 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 4 ES, International Scouting Services: No. 19, The Hockey News: No. 15, Button's Ranking: No. 10[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Hampus is an all-around defenseman who has the capability to play whatever style the game dictates. There are good skaters but Hampus can be referred to as a 'complete' skater with speed, quickness, agility and balance. He uses the strength of his skating to influence the game both defensively and offensively. He can skate the puck out of trouble and is very good at jumping into the attack. He can pivot and handle speed from a defensive standpoint and negate opponents. He has excellent hockey sense and is able to make plays under pressure but more importantly has the ability to quickly adapt to changing circumstances and varying challenges. Very confident with the puck and his plays are strong. He is not hesitant to make plays that may be termed 'risky' but the better term may be calculated risk. Effective with his body and can play a physical game and has the capability to play the heavy and hard minutes because of his stature. A complete defenseman who doesn't leave you short in any area of the game. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]16. Slater Koekkoek[/h3]
koekkoek_sm_44361.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Peterborough[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 26 GP, 5 G, 18 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 184 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 23 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 21, The Hockey News: No. 23, Button's Ranking: No. 34[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Slater plays the game with a combination of competitiveness and determination that helps teams win. He's an excellent skater who can close down the play very quickly and deny offensive chances when they appear inevitable. He uses his body very effectively and along with his skating, he doesn't give opponents much choice or opportunity to go around or through him. He's not punishing but it's not enjoyable to play versus him because he doesn't let up in his determination to stop you. His skating also allows him to get the puck moving ahead very quickly and very effectively and he continues to explore the offensive side of his game and try to contribute in this area as well and become a well-rounded player. His puck skills are good and while there may not be a lot of deception or 'faking' when he has the puck, there is efficiency to his puck play. He has the ability to play lots of minutes and with that type of endurance and his size, he'll be valuable in the areas that require so-called 'heavy lifting' but leads to winning. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]17. Derrick Pouliot[/h3]
pouliot-sm_50196.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Portland[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 5'11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 72 GP, 11 G, 59 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 190 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 12 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 22, The Hockey News: No. 13, Button's Ranking: No. 18[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Derrick is a 'QB Type' defenseman who relies on excellent vision and precision passing. He understands the game so well and sees what is unfolding and then is able to exploit it. He has great poise with the puck and doesn't force things but ensures when you get the puck, that you can do something positive with it. His skating is very good and he has a burst of quickness that allows him to gain a little extra time or space to make a play and he utilizes uses it offensively or defensively. He will jump into the attack and because he knows his options, he can appear to be moving 'untouched' which is due to the opponent having to respect his ability to quickly strike with his passing and thus backing off somewhat. He relies on strong positioning to put himself in the best position to make plays and while he's not a physical player, he's very effective using his body to gain advantages. He has a calm to his play but is competitive and will not succumb to the challenges that come his way. He is a strong puck possession player. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]18. Thomas Wilson[/h3]
133871517-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Plymouth[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Right Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 49 GP, 9 G, 27 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 203 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 15 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 17, The Hockey News: No. 25, Button's Ranking: No. 21[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Tom is a player who makes opponents very uncomfortable when he's on the ice. He has an undeniable determination and desire to impact the game through physical play. Combine that with a body that complements his desire and you have a 'wrecking ball' type player. It's a purposeful style that can be intimidating but is very effective because he creates room, not only for himself, but for his team. He understands how to utilize these attributes whether along the boards, at the offensive net, or by separating opponents from the puck so his team can gain advantages. His skating continues to improve and he gets to the necessary places so as to create the literal and figurative impact in the game. Very good sense and he doesn't run around aimlessly and his puck skills should not be underestimated because with the room he creates, he also can finish. He's a disruptive force and a unique player because he makes the game fun, just so long as you are not an opponent. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]19. Tomas Hertl[/h3]
136383534-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Slavia Praha[/td] [td]League: Czech[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 38 GP, 12 G, 25 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 198 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 5 ES, International Scouting Services: No. 32, The Hockey News: No. 24, Button's Ranking: No. 22[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Tomas is a very effective and efficient center. He takes a cerebral approach which finds him in proper position on the ice but always ready to take advantage of opportunity. He forces opponents into mistakes without the puck and when he gains the puck, his awareness, vision and puck skills allow him to threaten offensively. He is a very good passer but given the opportunity to shoot, he can be dangerous. He may not possess high end speed but he has good quickness and agility and when combined with his very good sense, he's able to play at the higher and quicker pace necessary. He uses his body to protect the puck and he is not easily separated from it because he has a determination in his game that doesn't allow himself to be negated. He's a center that uses his wingers very well and will get their strengths into the game. He's very adaptable and he's able to contribute even when he's not scoring because he values the different areas of the game and understands that contributions of all kinds, help a team win. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]20. Brendan Gaunce[/h3]
121294482-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Belleville[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 68 GP, 28 G, 68 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 215 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 13 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 11, The Hockey News: No. 17, Button's Ranking: No. 38[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Brendan is big, strong two-way center. He is a good skater with a good stride and he moves well. He can improve his quickness and by doing so, he will become more difficult to stop because with his size, when he gains a step, an opponent is faced with a losing proposition. He is smart and plays the game well both with and without the puck. He makes plays and because he's smart he gets scoring chances and an improved shot can make him that much better offensively. He works without the puck and is also capable of playing on the wing which adds a component of versatility to his game. He will assert with his body, hold off defenders and create advantages for himself and the team with his approach but is not going to be the punishing type. He has shown the ability to raise the level of his play when the games become more demanding and important. He's a very effective player and because he can find a way to contribute in multiple ways, this enhances his play and adds value to a team. [/td][/tr][/table]
[h3]21. Matthew Finn[/h3]
finn-sm_51262.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Guelph[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 61 GP, 10 G, 48 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 192 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 16 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 18, The Hockey News: No. 18, Button's Ranking: No. 9[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Matthew is not going to show up in 'highlight' videos on any type of a regular basis. It's not in his game to be flashy but it is his game to be incredibly effective. That effectiveness translates into every area of the game and all of its situations. Simply put, he is a player who completes plays. He does it with the puck. Defensively in getting the puck out of danger. Offensively in reading the play and getting the puck to areas where his team can attack. He is superb in transition and can do it skating with the puck or passing the puck. He does it without the puck. He has very good body positioning and stick position where he can keep opponents at bay. His skating is strong in all regards and he asserts with his body & with excellent lower body strength and balance, he's a hard player to gain an advantage on. He has excellent sense and understands what is unfolding and what the appropriate response should be. He has great poise playing and the challenges of the game do not faze him in any way. He is a player who makes teams stronger. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]22. Brady Skeji[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: USNTDP[/td] [td]League: USHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 24 GP, 3 G, 12 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 203 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 19 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 26, The Hockey News: No. 26, Button's Ranking: No. 26[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Brady is a player who has is very difficult to play against because he has size and weight and is an excellent skater in all regards. He is powerful and with excellent balance, he is able to use his body and keep opponents from gaining an advantage. His agility is very good and he is able to handle 1-1 situations versus speed and quickness effectively and he's also able to move ahead with the puck and escape pressure. He reads the play very well without the puck and with the confidence he has in his skating, he can stop plays before a rush has fully unfolded. His defensive positioning is sound and he doesn't create unnecessary problems for himself. He is a good passer and gets the puck moving from his own zone quickly and efficiently and is very effective transition player. He's not going to punish opponents but he's going to frustrate them because it's no easy task to get around him and gain the upper hand. A good, strong, steady type player who has a strong dependability and consistency in his play. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]23. Stefan Matteau[/h3]
matteau-sm_70017.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: USNTDP[/td] [td]League: USHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 18 GP, 6 G, 10 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 210 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 17 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 31, The Hockey News: No. 30, Button's Ranking: No. 48[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Stefan is capable of wreaking havoc in the game with his combination of skating, skill and size. He has excellent speed and can close on opponents quickly and when you combine this with a desire and willingness to make physical contact, it can be very uncomfortable for opponents. The speed and quickness also allows him to make an impact offensively because he can beat defenders 1-1 and overwhelm them with his size. He can score in multiple ways; with a very good shot or by powering past defenders and taking it to the net. He is a unique player in the sense that he can quickly disrupt an opponent with his approach. While there have been concerns about his 'discipline' on the ice, it can be such an unsettling thing for an opponent that he just needs to find the proper balance with his aggression so that it's of the productive nature not the undisciplined. He is also able to play either wing or center so he becomes a player that can play multiple positions and that versatility is a another positive.[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]24. Andrei Vasilevski[/h3]
136875761-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Ufa Tolpar[/td] [td]League: RUS Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Goaltender[/td] [td]Height: 6'3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 27 GP, 2.23 GAA, .931 SV%[/td] [td]Weight: 204 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 1 EG, International Scouting Services: No. 3 (Goaltender), The Hockey News: No. 21, Button's Ranking: No. 15[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Andrei plays with a combination of skill, sense and poise. There doesn't seem to be any situation in the game that rattles him. His size makes him imposing but his ability to read the play and move to advantageous position can intimidate shooters. He is an excellent skater; agility, side-to-side mobility, quickness and strength in his legs allows him to meet the challenges that all goaltenders face. He does not show you a repeated 'style' but will react to the situation and play it accordingly which is another challenge for shooters in trying to get the better of him. Technically, he is sound and doesn't lose positioning when he moves and he has the ability to 'arrive' at the spot to make save in good position, not a vulnerable one. He reads the play so well and has excellent skill and he moves with an economy that makes it appear effortless but it begins with excellent mental focus and allows him to remain a 'step ahead' of the play. He is dependable, consistent and timely which are important traits of successful goaltenders. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]25. Malcolm Subban[/h3]
140156339-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Belleville[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Goaltender[/td] [td]Height: 6'1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 39 GP, 2.50 GAA, .923 SV%[/td] [td]Weight: 188 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 1 NAG, International Scouting Services: No. 2 (Goaltender), The Hockey News: No. 48, Button's Ranking: No. 8[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Malcolm is an outstanding athlete with great quickness, agility and reflexes. His side-to-side quickness is exceptional and he moves while maintaining strong position and doesn't create vulnerability for himself. While athleticism alone won't allow a goaltender to excel, Malcolm has worked hard to develop the technical aspects of goaltending. Compare it to a pitcher in baseball. There is a big difference between throwing hard and pitching. Malcolm was an athlete playing goal and has developed into a goaltender. He follows the play so well and combined with an excellent ability to anticipate the play and get himself into strong position it utilizes his skills to even greater advantage. He has developed a calm and composure in the net that conveys a sense of security to his team but is borne out of a tremendous confidence in being able to stymie opposition shooters. He is very comfortable playing in close games and doesn't succumb to the pressures. He has what makes exceptional goalies; great physical, technical and mental skills. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]26. Michael Matheson[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Dubuque[/td] [td]League: USHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 47 GP, 9 G, 22 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 178 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 30 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 34, The Hockey News: No. 27, Button's Ranking: No. 23[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Michael's game is predicated on outstanding skating ability. There is not an area of skating in which he doesn't excel, and he's able to contribute in so many different ways because of it. He's very difficult to 'pin' down in his own end because of his quickness and agility which allows him to escape the best checking efforts. He is able to buy precious time and space when he's in offensive situations and with good puck skills, specifically passing ability he can create offensive chances. He has good poise and because he has such strong confidence in his skating, it allows him to take an extra second to potentially look for and make a better play. He plays without the puck in a very responsible manner and as he continues to develop this area of the game, he has the potential to be a very well balanced player who can play in all situations and create a lot of challenges for opposing teams. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]27. Sebastien Collberg[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Frolunda[/td] [td]League: SWE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Right Wing[/td] [td]Height: 5'11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 21 GP, 9 G, 17 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 176 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 3 ES, International Scouting Services: No. 13, The Hockey News: No. 14, Button's Ranking: No. 27[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Sebastien can play in multiple offensive situations and contribute in different ways. He's very versatile and is comfortable in a straight ahead skill game or one that is heavier with more physical play. He is a very good skater who can beat defenders 1-1 because he has a change of pace as well as having a desire to get offensive opportunities. He plays in traffic and maintains a focus despite knowing that he may be entering the 'danger zone.' He has a very good focus offensively and is tenacious with the puck and he has the knack for getting the puck 'settled down' and in position to make a good shot. Despite not being a big player, he battles in traffic and along boards and doesn't defer or take an easier path. He has good awareness and sense and can make plays and while he likes to shoot, he's not one dimensional. He's a reliable player in the sense that you know you will get his best efforts despite what the challenges or obstacles may be. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]28. Scott Laughton[/h3]
can1_49607.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Oshawa[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 64 GP, 21 G, 53 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 180 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 28 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 23, The Hockey News: No. 42, Button's Ranking: No. 24[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Scott is not going to overwhelm you in any one area of the game but he's going to contribute to winning in all areas of the game. He has excellent hockey sense and is capable of playing any situation in the game. He is smart defensively. He is smart offensively. He can adjust to different circumstances and excel. He leaves himself in strong position on the ice so he's always ready to make the appropriate play for the situation. He's a competitor who is tenacious and has an edge to his game and he will assert himself. He's a good skater with strong balance and he has the agility that allows him to move side-to-side and open room for himself which also gives him better options for passing. He has an under rated shot and can beat goaltenders from out because he doesn't telegraph his shot and he's always aware of passing options and that 'holds' goaltenders in the net who have to be aware of the potential for that pass. A very effective, determined player who will do whatever is necessary to help the team win. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]29. Tanner Pearson[/h3]
cann1_57744.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Barrie[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 61 GP, 37 G, 91 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 198 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 25 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 88, The Hockey News: No. 36, Button's Ranking: No. 39[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Tanner is another 'late bloomer.' Players progress and develop at different rates and Tanner is a good example of this. He pushed his candidacy for the World Junior team as well as a potential 1st round pick to the forefront with stellar play. His skating may not be a thing of beauty but it doesn't deter him from excelling. He has excellent sense and understands how to use his skills in combination that makes him an offensive threat. He has excellent hands and makes plays quickly and gives up the puck only to be ready to move to the next dangerous spot to take advantage. He has an excellent release on his shot and is able to shoot off the pass and/or a move so he doesn't give defenders or goalies a chance to be ready. He doesn't attempt to play a game that isn't suited to his strengths and when watching him perform, you see a player who is in command and playing a step ahead of the opposition or a level above and that is far more important than being able to 'race' up the ice. He's a competitor who should not be underestimated. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]30. Phillip Di Giuseppe[/h3]
137130649-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Michigan[/td] [td]League: CCHA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 40 GP, 11 G, 26 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 176 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 22 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 35, The Hockey News: No. 31, Button's Ranking: No. 30[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Phillip is a good sized winger who plays a hard driving game and makes it difficult for defenders. He is a very good skater with quickness, that may be better than his speed, and allows him to create opportunities for himself and his team. His agility and balance is strong and he's very difficult to push away from where he desires to go. He has an assertiveness in his play and doesn't allow himself to be denied. He will drive the net and will 'pay the price' to score. He has very good sense and recognizes opportunities to contribute both with and without the puck and he plays a 'heady' game. He has good puck skills and is multi-faceted in that he can threaten offensively either shooting or passing. He uses his body to gain advantages and while he isn't punishing, he's competitive and he plays with a desire to make difference in all areas of the game. As his confidence grows, his overall should follow as well.

[h3]31. Ville Pokka[/h3]
136704404-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Karpat [/td] [td]League: FIN[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 33 GP, 0 G, 3 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 198 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 7 ES, International Scouting Services: No. 41, The Hockey News: No. 28, Button's Ranking: N/A[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Ville is a player despite what the stats read, should be considered a two-way defenseman. He has very good offensive instincts and makes good plays with the puck. He's capable of jumping into the attack and creating advantages on offense, especially in the offensive zone when he sees offensive opportunities. He has a good shot and the puck gets directed to the net very well. His skating is decent but by improving his quickness, it would give him a better opportunity to impact the game. He finds himself in challenges at times defensively because of the quickness in terms of beating the pressure and fore-check and being able to move the puck out of trouble. To his credit, he uses his body effectively to hold off defenders and he competes in 1-1 situations defensively to force opponents to 'earn' a chance. He plays the game with very good awareness and playing in the Finnish Elite League may have 'hurt' his offensive numbers but it helped him in his overall game knowing and understanding how to play to his strengths. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]32. Martin Frk[/h3]
110826255-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Halifax[/td] [td]League: QMJHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Right Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 34 GP, 16 G, 29 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 204 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 20 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 42, The Hockey News: No. 45, Button's Ranking: No. 59[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Martin is a goal scorer. He wants to score, is hungry to score and is that player who is lurking for the chance to score. He plays a straight ahead game and is more of a shooter. He has a good shot and can beat goaltenders with it down the wing and it's a heavy shot. His skating is good in straight lines and he creates separation between himself and defenders. He has good balance with a low center of gravity and is hard to knock off stride. His agility is adequate but not a necessary requirement for the style of game he plays. He uses his body to push to the scoring area and hold off defenders. He recognizes openings and opportunity and with a playmaking center who can get the puck to him, Martin has the abilities to be a good goal scorer at the NHL level. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]33. Colton Sissons[/h3]
130285524-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Kelowna[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Right Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 58 GP, 26 G, 41 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 198 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 14 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 25, The Hockey News: No. 40, Button's Ranking: N/A[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Colton is a straight ahead up and down winger. There is not one area of his game that stands out but he is consistent in his effort and plays a dependable and responsible game. He works hard and plays with a tenacity that can wear down opponents. His skating is good and along with strong balance, it allows him to play strong along the boards and in 1-1 physical battles. He's not punishing but is hard on the puck and engages physically to create opportunities for his team. Very good sense and feel for the game and he plays within his strengths and understands the 'subtle' plays and how to make them and knows they are plays that help a team be successful. He is not a prolific scorer but he can make the plays that help a team create scoring chances. Going to the net without the puck, winning 1-1 battles along the boards, being strong on the fore check are a few examples of how Colton contributes to a team. He's a leader by example who is not flashy but he makes others around him better and helps his team be successful. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]34. Ludvig Bystrom[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Modo[/td] [td]League: SWE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 34 GP, 7 G, 29 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 208 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 8 ES, International Scouting Services: No. 29, The Hockey News: No. 19, Button's Ranking: No. 19[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Ludvig has the attributes to be a very good two-way defenseman once he has physically matured. His skating is very good, possessing very good mobility and agility which allows him to be elusive when pressured and helps him play defensive situations without being vulnerable. His sense is excellent and he gets to the right spots on the ice to make a play and he has very good poise with the puck. Offensively, he sees the play, passes very well and creates opportunities for his team. Defensively, he competes 1-1 with good positioning and is very adept at not allowing himself to get overwhelmed. He uses his body well, is willing to engage physically and doesn't take a 'backseat' when the game becomes more physical. His willingness exceeds his capabilities in this area because of the lack of strength but once that develops, he has the capability to make this more of a factor in his game. He has shown the ability to raise the level of his game when required and has a lot of growth ahead which should allow him to reach his potential. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]35. Oscar Dansk[/h3]
132367298-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Brynas[/td] [td]League: SWE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Goaltender[/td] [td]Height: 6'3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 28 GP, 2.82 GAA, .910 SV%[/td] [td]Weight: 186 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 2 EG, International Scouting Services: No. 1 (Goaltender), The Hockey News: No. 44, Button's Ranking: No. 31[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Oscar plays the game with an excellent focus. Watching him play, you see a goalie who is very alert following the play and sees what is unfolding and then is able to do what he needs to do to stop the puck. His stance is strong and he maintains solid positioning and doesn't create vulnerability for himself which forces shooters to beat him. His skating is very good with good quickness and agility and he is very effective with his legs in making saves even when he's moving. He plays a little back in the net but he doesn't make himself 'small' when he's back and he will be aggressive when necessary and get out and shut down the play. He plays a 'hybrid' style and allows the situation to dictate what particular approach he will take to make the save. He plays with a calm demeanor and stays focused on the task at hand despite what may be happening around him. Overall, he's a goalie with solid physical skills, not spectacular ones, and technical and mental skills that are very good. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]36. Henrik Samuelsson[/h3]
139147473-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Edmonton[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Right Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 28 GP, 7 G, 23 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 195 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 75 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 27, The Hockey News: No. 50, Button's Ranking: No. 29[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Henrik had an odyssey of sorts this season but once he got himself established in Edmonton, he found a 'launching pad' for his game. He is a big man who is very comfortable asserting with his size and establishing a presence in the game and he's not averse to playing 'chippy' and even nasty at times. By doing this, it gives himself a little more room and makes opponents a little leery, a very good strategy for creating room and time for yourself. His skating is not a hindrance but he needs to improve his quickness and speed because by doing so, it will allow him to impact the game more significantly. He's a smart player who makes good plays and has confidence with the puck. He finds openings in the offensive zone to score but with an improved shot, his goal scoring will increase. He gets involved in the 'guts' of the game and is a player who can unsettle and distract opponents with his play. The type of player you 'hate to play against' but love to have on your team. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]37. Pontus Aberg[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Djurgarden[/td] [td]League: SWE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 5'11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 47 GP, 8 G, 15 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 194 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 6 ES, International Scouting Services: No. 20, The Hockey News: No. 22, Button's Ranking: No. 33[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Pontus is a prototypical goal scoring winger. He has good speed and uses a burst of quickness to 'break free' and get to scoring position either with the puck or to get the puck. He reads the play well and doesn't get himself unnecessarily 'tangled' up in traffic and he gets to scoring position at opportune times to take advantage of his skills. He is able to handle the puck in tight areas and around the net and finds ways to 'free' his stick to make a play on the puck. He's not going to overpower a goalie with his shot but he has an accurate shot and can maneuver his hands to give himself a better opportunity or to open up a part of the net. He will make plays and that allows him to not be a one-dimensional player. He gets involved in the hard areas and will pay a price to score and he competes for his chances. Overall, he is a player who wants to score and can be productive in an offensive role.[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]38. Jordan Schmaltz[/h3]
schmaltz-sm_57471.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Green Bay/Sioux City[/td] [td]League: USHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 48 GP, 9 G, 32 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 189 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 34 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 45, The Hockey News: No. 34, Button's Ranking: N/A[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Jordan is an offensive defenseman who generates offense in multiple ways. He is very attuned to offensive opportunities and combined with very good skating, he can quickly take advantage when those opportunities present themselves. He is not hesitant in any way to jump into the attack or to even lead the attack given an opening. He can beat defenders 1-1 and is very confident in his abilities. He has an excellent shot and has really developed it, not only as a weapon to score but as a weapon to set up the pass because goalies have to respect the shot. It should come as no surprise that he's very good on the power play and he's a QB out there. He can beat pressure in the defensive zone and as a good passer, he can get the puck moving forward very quickly and efficiently. He has improved his defensive play and he has become much more patient in his overall approach and doesn't try to 'make' everything' happen on one shift. Overall, a player who is evolving and developing a well-rounded game. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]39. Dalton Thrower[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Saskatoon[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 5'11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 66 GP, 18 G, 54 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 189 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 26 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 28, The Hockey News: No. 29, Button's Ranking: No. 52[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Dalton is a player who can make his presence felt, literally and figuratively. He's a competitor who will deliver big hits and can be a deterrent to opposing forwards thinking they can move about untouched. He is not hesitant to fight if challenged or if necessary. His game is not limited to rough and tough play though. He has very good offensive skills, with a good shot that he can score with and he makes good plays with the puck. His skating base is solid but to take his game successfully to the NHL level, an improvement in his quickness and agility would prove to be beneficial. His skating base is good and there is no evidence that he can't improve his skating.. He plays a lot of minutes in the game and in all situations and he understands what is required in those situations and how to manage his play given large demands. He has a hunger to his game and gets himself invested in whatever challenges may be presented and he is not a 'shrinking violet' when those challenges are serious. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]40. Nicolas Kerdiles[/h3]
kerdiles-sm_70224.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: USNTDP[/td] [td]League: USHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 18 GP, 4 G, 13 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 200 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 29 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 15, The Hockey News: No. 33, Button's Ranking: No. 51[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Nicolas is a very skilled and talented player. He is a very good skater, effortless with speed, quickness and agility and he uses it to his advantage to create offensive chances. He is a hard player to defend against because he changes speed and keeps defenders off balance but he can quickly strike because he has very good sense and recognizes when an opportunity is there or about to be there. He has very good puck skills and a good release on his shot and passes the puck so well. He has played center and wing and shown not only versatility but the understanding of both of those positions as it relates to his skill set. Showing more goal scoring on the wing and more playmaking as a center. He is not a rugged player but uses his body to protect puck and keep defenders at bay. He is elusive and 'shakes' off checks very effectively and he is that player who appears at the right time to inflict damage. Overall, an undeniable skill set and versatility that is not in abundance. [/td][/tr][/table]
[h3]41. Mark Jankowski[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Stanstead[/td] [td]League: Quebec Prep[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 57 GP, 53 G, 93 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 170 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 43 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 55, The Hockey News: No. 37, Button's Ranking: No. 14[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Mark is a 'late bloomer' but certainly a testament to the adage; 'it doesn't matter where you start but where you finish.' He was not on any scouting radar at the outset of this season but when he did appear, he became a bright, blinking light. He is an excellent skater with a long, efficient stride combined with agility, quickness and balance that allows him to impose himself on the game. He can beat defenders 1-1 and is capable of opening up ice for himself and breaking down opponents for his team's gain. His puck skills are very good, with his playmaking and passing taking the lead but his shot should not be underestimated. His sense and vision is excellent and he's capable of making plays that open up terrific offensive chances. He is unselfish to a fault but when the game is in the balance, he takes charge. He competes and works in all areas of the game and as he continues to physically mature, he has the potential to be that big, skilled center that NHL teams covet. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]42. Patrick Sieloff[/h3]
sieloff-sm_70195.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: USNTDP[/td] [td]League: USHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 24 GP, 0 G, 2 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 198 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 31 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 44, The Hockey News: No. 53, Button's Ranking: No. 42[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Patrick is a competitor who plays with one intention; to help the team win. Often you hear about a player's size but to talk of Patrick's size as a limiting factor would be to underestimate him and his impact on the game. He is a very good skater with quickness, agility and balance and uses it in all situations to his advantage. Defensively, he doesn't get beat 1-1 because of the skating and his positioning is excellent and then you add a determined spirit to stop opponents and nothing is easy versus him. He will engage physically and will deliver big body checks that can leave a lasting impact. He battles opponents for every inch of ice and simply refuses to give in to the greatest challenges and he has that 'rough sandpaper grit' in his game. He has very good sense and he moves the puck quickly and effectively. He won't be an offensive force but he'll ensure a team gets out of the defensive zone and the puck gets to those players who can deliver on the offensive side. He is an 'all in' player who will never leave a team 'short' with his effort and determination. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]43. Scott Kosmachuk[/h3]
scottkosmachuk_3573-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Guelph[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Right Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 67 GP, 30 G, 59 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 185 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 24 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 46, The Hockey News: No. 47, Button's Ranking: N/A[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Scott has the skills to be an offensive player but is developing a game that isn't solely weighted towards offense. He's a very good skater with speed and knows that speed can get him into openings for scoring but is learning that it can also be a disruptive factor to opposing defenses that creates scoring chances in different ways. He has a good shot and will use it but expanding his repertoire of scoring tools would make him more dangerous. He has a tendency to make himself predictable and while chances will come, the results will improve by showing multiple 'looks' to his offense. Passing is a significant part of this and Scott is not selfish but by having defenders and goalies consider this option, it will make him more dangerous not less. He works hard and is tenacious and he gets involved but he's not a player who is going to make an opponent uncomfortable with his physical play. Overall, a player who has offensive skills but could develop into a very solid two-way player. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]44. Mike Winther[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Prince Albert[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 5'11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 71 GP, 32 G, 56 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 175 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 21 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 38, The Hockey News: No. 35, Button's Ranking: No. 49[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Mike may be that proverbial 'Jack of all trades' and it is only meant as a compliment. He's an excellent skater with speed and quickness and because of it, he is able to make an impact in so many different areas. Offensively, he creates a lot of open ice for himself and he is very capable of beating defenders 1-1, getting chances and scoring . Defensively, he is adept at taking away your time and space and forcing you into rushed plays and mistakes. He is particularly effective killing penalties because he can be disruptive and is a threat to score. He can play center or wing and has a really good sense of how to play and how to play to his strengths. He can make plays and is not a player who finds himself watching as he is ready to be in the next play and if an opponent doesn't 'mark' him, he will find a way to be productive. He has a lot of physical maturity ahead of him and with added strength, he will be a very difficult player to handle as it will only add to his arsenal. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]45. Damon Severson[/h3]
130264101-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Kelowna[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 56 GP, 7 G, 37 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 200 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 48 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 50, The Hockey News: No. 65, Button's Ranking: No. 43[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Damon has taken a significant step in his play this past season. He is a very good skater who has an effortless stride, is very agile and has quickness which helps him both defensively and offensively. He has very good vision and poise with the puck and he makes very good plays. He has confidence when he has the puck and because his skating is so good, he doesn't have to 'rush' or force things because the space he has gained, is not in danger of being lost. He has an under rated shot that he uses effectively either for tips and deflections or as a rebound opportunity. He has good positioning defensively and uses his body well but isn't a punishing player but is assertive and he does compete. He doesn't 'shrink' under pressure and he has a steady, calm and efficient approach. His confidence will increase as he matures and he certainly shows the potential to be a good NHL player and there may be even more 'untapped' potential as his development progresses. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]46. Brian Hart[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Exeter Academy[/td] [td]League: USHS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 27 GP, 29 G, 56 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 216 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 54 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 64, The Hockey News: No. 56, Button's Ranking: N/A[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Brian may draw some comparisons to former NHL player Bill Guerin. Bill possessed excellent speed at 18 years of age and it's something that Brian will have to improve upon to be considered in the same skating class. The comparison is apt in the sense that they are both hard driving players who engage physically and have the size to not only gain advantages for themselves, they have temperaments that can make an opponent hesitant to want to engage with them. Brian has a very strong shot and it can be categorized as 'cannon like' in terms of how heavy it is. He's not afraid to shoot and do it a lot but he will take the puck to the net and he does it with determination and he has a hunger to score. He's capable of making plays but he knows the foundation of his game and he plays to those strengths. As he moves up levels, he is smart enough to know that his game will have to become less one-dimensional. Overall, he's a very good athlete who has a hunger to be better and a desire to be an imposing winger.[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]47. Daniil Zharkov[/h3]
daniilzharkov_4745-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Belleville[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 50 GP, 23 G, 36 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 197 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 32 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 33, The Hockey News: No. 49, Button's Ranking: No. 58[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Daniil is a scorer who needs but one chance to make good on it. He has an excellent release and he doesn't 'tip his hand' to the goaltender when he's shooting and that creates problems for a goaltender. He is a very good skater with speed and agility and has the ability to shoot off a move or in stride. Given open ice, he is very dangerous and defenders have to be very cognizant of him on the ice because when he breaks open, it is often too late. His 1-1 skills have improved and the next step for him is to make his skating an advantage in beating defensemen 1-1 with the puck and putting them back on their heels and not relying solely on getting behind them. He is smart and recognizes the offensive opportunities that may be unfolding and is quick to act on them. His size is good and with more strength and confidence, he could be a very difficult player to deal with and combined with his skill, could make him a very prolific scorer. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]48. Jarrod Maidens[/h3]
133943347-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Owen Sound[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 28 GP, 12 G, 23 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 178 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 35 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 58, The Hockey News: No. 38, Button's Ranking: No. 36[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Jarrod had an unfortunate injury that forced him to miss the majority of the season. What shouldn't be missed with Jarrod, is that he's a very good NHL prospect. He is a well rounded player with skill, sense and a competitive spirit. He is a very good skater with good agility and quickness and he uses it to his advantage both offensively and defensively. He is able to create opportunities with his skating and take them away from the opposition. He is a very smart player and he's capable of playing on the wing or center and he understands all of the situations in the game. He has the ability to 'meld' his talents with his line mates to make the trio formidable. He has very good puck skills and he makes strong plays with the puck and has excellent anticipation skills and the ability to play and do things at a high pace. There is not a situation in the game where he can't contribute and help a team be successful and has shown the ability to raise the level of his play when needed. If he doesn't suffer an injury, he is a 1st round selection.[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]49. Adam Pelech[/h3]
137652202-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Erie[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 44 GP, 2 G, 20 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 210 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 120 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 30, The Hockey News: No. 41, Button's Ranking: No. 35[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]It's very simple with Adam. 'Artistic merit' points won't be high but if you want to win, make sure you get Adam on your team. He is a 'bulldog' type player who is not averse to doing whatever it takes to give his team a chance to win. He never, and never is a long time, gives up on a battle. He's fully engaged and he may not punish you but an opponent will not shake him because he is that 'bulldog on the bone.' He reads the play so well and he is able to get into the space of an opponent and close him off. His skating is not pretty but it's effective and he plays versus the fast players and in a quick pace with not a hint of vulnerability. His positioning is excellent and he leaves himself in position to make plays. Offense is not his game but moving the puck so the team can get on offense is a strength. He kills penalties, blocks shots, gets in the way and makes it very hard for opponents to get quality scoring chances. If you judge him outwardly, you are making a big mistake because the heart, passion and guts he plays with, is what winners are made of. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]50. Tim Bozon[/h3]
timbozon_2955-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Kamloops[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 71 GP, 36 G, 71 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 183 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 42 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 40, The Hockey News: No. 43, Button's Ranking: N/A[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Tim is a highly skilled player. He has an ease to his skill and it is parlayed in his skating, puck handling and thought process. He has speed and quickness and he has no problems moving into the areas where he can use his skills and contribute offensively. He has very good poise with the puck and his awareness is good and he makes good plays that lead to scoring chances. He has a good shot and he's able to get to the dangerous spots and take advantage. He's learning how his skill can be of the initiating type in terms of imposing it on opponents and gaining increased chances. He plays a very controlled game in terms of not running around without purpose. He will benefit from maturity and that will help his confidence which can lead to being a very good NHL player. He has the potential to be that player because his skill is evident but he will need some time to pull everything together. [/td][/tr][/table]
[h3]51. Cristoval Nieves[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Kent High[/td] [td]League: USHS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 26 GP, 7 G, 39 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 184 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 27 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 63, The Hockey News: No. 55, Button's Ranking: No. 50[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Cristoval is a very gifted and talented player who may still be exploring the limits of his potential. He does things from an athletic point of view with extreme ease. His skating is almost flawless in terms of stride and feet work. He moves with a confidence and assuredness that makes you take notice of his command. He has very good puck skills and is able to handle the puck under very challenging circumstances and he is an excellent passer. He may be accused of passing too much and being too unselfish but he makes plays that help his team for the most part. He has the size and body that appears to be 'tailor made' for hockey and while he doesn't play a physical game, he uses his size very effectively to gain advantages and hold off defenders which gives him the necessary time and space to make plays. He's a player that may not realize how good he can be. Given his skill, when that part comes to fruition, there may be the case of teams asking 'how did they get him there.' A player with excellent upside and that is a big variable but one that can pay off. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]52. Lukas Sutter[/h3]
lukassutter_4808-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Saskatoon[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 70 GP, 28 G, 59 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 207 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 39 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 68, The Hockey News: No. 63, Button's Ranking: No. 45[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Lukas finds some way, somehow to inject himself into the game. He can do it defensively, offensively or by 'getting under the skin' of opponents and disrupting them. At times there is analysis of skating that really doesn't' matter and it applies with Lukas because he gets to the areas on the ice where he makes an impact and it is better to be timely than pretty. He is so 'dialed in' to the game and understands it's rhythms and momentums and how to keep them for his team and upset them in the opponent. He is smart in all regards and he makes plays in all areas of the game under all situations and there are no shortcuts in his approach. He doesn't allow himself to be denied and he's tenacious and is a player that as an opponent you have to compete against because he's simply not going away until the conclusion of the game. He uses his body effectively and is weighty and pushes himself into areas where he gains advantages. Overall, he's a player who is committed to winning and invests himself fully to do what he can so that winning is the end result. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]53. Jake McCabe[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Wisconsin[/td] [td]League: WCHA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Defence[/td] [td]Height: 6'1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 26 GP, 3 G, 12 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 201 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 47 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 76, The Hockey News: No. 59, Button's Ranking: N/A[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Jake is more of a defending type player but may be able to contribute a measure of offense in time because he has no hesitation in jumping into the play and trying to make a difference offensively. His skating base is decent but his agility and quickness will have to improve to be able to have success at the NHL level. He competes and plays a determined style of game but he doesn't possess a punishing aspect to his game or one that gets the attention of opponents and can keep them off balance. Without an improvement in his skating, he will find himself 'off balance' and challenged vs. speed and in a quick pace. He has good sense and makes plays with the puck that are solid and safe. He isn't hesitant to try to initiate things with the puck but his game is defensive positioning and trying to make it challenging for opponents to get scoring chances. Has time to improve and there isn't any major drawback that indicates he can't improve.[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]54. Matthew Murray[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Sault Ste. Marie[/td] [td]League: Goaltender[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Goaltender[/td] [td]Height: 6'4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 36 GP, 4.08 GAA, .876 SV%[/td] [td]Weight: 162 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 18 NAG, International Scouting Services: No. 4 (Goaltender), The Hockey News: No. 61, Button's Ranking: No. 44[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Matt has shown the capability of playing his best under the spotlight of some big games. Whether at the prospects' game or at the Under 18's, this is always a positive for young goaltenders. He is a big goalie who utilizes his size to great advantage. He plays upright and allows his size to become a real intimidating factor to the opposing shooters. He has a solid stance in the net and he moves very well in the net whether it's across or out to close down an opportunity. He has very good legs and he uses them very effectively to keep an advantage and close off the lower part of the net. He reads the plays very well and along with being a very good competitor, he makes it difficult to get the puck behind him. He makes timely saves and is very adept at 'getting on' to the next play and 'parking' mistakes and not letting them seep into next sequences. He is very composed and his poise under pressure allows him to remain settled. As he matures, he has the talent, physically and mentally to be a very good goalie at the NHL level. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]55. Samuel Kurker[/h3]
draft-sm_80070.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: St. John's Prep[/td] [td]League: USHS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Right Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 24 GP, 32 G, 60 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 198 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 36 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 90, The Hockey News: N/A, Button's Ranking: N/A[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Sam could be characterized as an up and down winger who can skate pretty well and can assert with his body and be that 'weighty' winger who is good along the boards and in the corners. He works hard and battles you but there doesn't appear to be an 'edge' to his game but there is certainly a determination. He skates well and can get on top of defensemen and effectively eliminate them with his body. His offense is adequate and the offense he does produce is a byproduct of his willingness to engage physically and battle. He has good sense and plays a responsible game both with and without the puck. He is a player that can contribute but it will be in the areas that don't show up on the personal stats sheet but is important to winning. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]56. Mitchell Moroz[/h3]
mitchellmoroz_3366-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Edmonton[/td] [td]League: WHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 66 GP, 16 G, 25 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 209 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 72 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 170, The Hockey News: N/A Button's Ranking: N/A[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Mitchell is a player who enjoys the physical game. He will hit and punish opponents but is also willing and able to stand up to the challenges that comes with playing that particular style. He's a very good skater and can close on opponents very quickly and thus there is not a lot of 'wiggle room' to avoid a check when he's on the ice. Because his skating is so good, he can play versus better players and make them uncomfortable. He plays in straight lines and is very effective along the boards. He doesn't 'run around' without purpose and he is very effective in his approach. He has very good awareness playing and is capable of contributing in areas other than physical play. He battles for the puck, will go to the net and is a player who plays with energy and an undeniable spirit and determination. He gives players on the ice a certain comfort but only if you are on the same team. Playing versus him, is a challenge and not fun because he is focused on doing what he can to disrupt you and help his team win.[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]57. Devin Shore[/h3]
devinshore_2536-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Whitby[/td] [td]League: OJHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 41 GP, 29 G, 58 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 184 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 58 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 73, The Hockey News: No. 68, Button's Ranking: No. 37[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Devin is a solid all-around player who is concerned with one thing. 'What can I do, to help the team win.' Incredibly unselfish, when it comes to the critical times in the game, Devin will take the 'bull by the horns' and do whatever is in the best interests of the team. His skating base is good and with improved strength, it will help his speed and help him be that much more difficult to keep in check. He has good quickness and agility and he's able to change pace and make it difficult for defenders to gauge his pace. His sense is excellent and he knows how to play the entire square footage of the rink and how to contribute in every situation. He plays at the critical times and he is a 'learn and adjust' player so he gains valuable experience during the game that can help him later. He is a strong competitor and is not going to allow himself to be denied or deterred form the task at hand. He makes those around him better and is capable of changing the direction of the game to his team's favour because of having his 'finger on the pulse' and believing he can deliver. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]58. Matia Marcantuoni[/h3]
mm-sm_50352.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Kitchener[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Centre[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 24 GP, 9 G, 14 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 174 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 59 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 74, The Hockey News: No. 71, Button's Ranking: N/A[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Matia had a start to his year that set him back and didn't allow him to adequately show what he's capable of. It began with a concussion and then a shoulder injury ended his season and he was never able to 'get his feet underneath him.' He is an excellent skater with speed and quickness and he can close on the fore-check quickly or create open ice and separation for himself. He is a competitor and he gets involved physically and he engages fully in the competitive battles. With his skating he can make a big difference in the game and while he has utilized it mostly for offense to this point, it certainly can be a weapon to play defense and disrupt an opponents' offensive thrust. He has a good shot and he will follow it to the net and pay the price to score. He is more of a player who 'receives' the puck than delivering it and with the right compliment of line mates, his skills could be maximized. He has a very good skill set and being able to stay healthy should help him realize his potential. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]59. Brock McGinn[/h3]
brockmcginn_3511-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Guelph[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 5'11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 33 GP, 12 G, 19 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 174 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 49 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 164, The Hockey News: N/A, Button's Ranking: Watch List[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Brock is a hard edged player who competes with the idea that ' nothing else matters but winning' so I will do whatever is needed to help my team win. He gets involved physically along the boards, in the corners, at the net and he simply doesn't know what the word 'quit' means. He is a smart player and knows what he can bring to help the team win. He skates well and is capable of contributing if the game is tilted towards skill and pace or a 'rumble in the jungle.' He can contribute offensively and he has good awareness and knows how to compliment the efforts of others. When the puck is dropped at the beginning of the game, Brock is not a player a coach needs to worry about. He will size up the game and know what must be done at any particular time and regardless of the challenges that may be faced, he will be ready to meet those challenges. He's a player who finds his way onto winning teams because his contributions are valued. [/td] [/tr][/table][h3]60. Brady Vail[/h3]
109084408-218x150.jpg
[table][tr][th=""]Profile[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Team: Windsor[/td] [td]League: OHL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Position: Left Wing[/td] [td]Height: 6'0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2011-12 Stats: 68 GP, 22 G, 52 PTS[/td] [td]Weight: 195 lbs.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Scouting Rankings[/th] [/tr][tr][td]NHL Central Scouting: 38 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 48, The Hockey News: No. 58, Button's Ranking: No. 40[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]TSN Scout Craig Button:[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Brady is good two-way player who can play in any situation during the game and will find a way to contribute. There is not a lot of fanfare to his play but there's a lot of good, industrious hard work that leads to productivity and ultimately to his team being in a better position to win. Skating is good and he has a good stride but will benefit from improved speed. He isn't behind but with his strong sense, more speed will allow him to impact the game in a far greater way. There is nothing that he isn't willing to do in the game. He's versatile and can make plays, block shots, screen the goalie and pay the price in front of net, be strong on the fore-check, kill penalties, and be a 'Swiss knife' type of player. He has good size and he uses it well to protect the puck and gain position both offensively and defensively. He is a player that is smart and thus can play with any type of player and not only find a way to benefit but also compliment that players' strengths. Has the potential to take his game to another level and perhaps be a 'steal' in the draft. [/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

are you Rangers fans comfortable with this team playing without a healthy Gabby til around February/early March?

[h1]Ryan Suter - Not Worth The Hype [/h1]

Written by Chris | 11 June 2012

bilde

The same two guys have been on our mind for the past few months. Ryan Suter and Zach Parise. Suter and Parise. These are the golden tickets this summer. If we don’t get at least one of those two, puppies will be kicked. Kittens thrown. And turtles flipped. Kenny, think of the turtles.

3971067306_0746cbf7f5.jpg

Now, you don’t have to convince me on Parise. Not only has he lead his team to the Cup final, he’s also a multiple 40 goal scorer and is the definition of clutch (ask Canada). He’s a rich man’s Jonathan Toews. I see shades of Yzerman in him; you know, the kind of leader that Detroit loves.

Plus, I’ve hit on his girlfriend. True story.

Anyways, Parise, yes. But Suter? Well, color me not convinced. I think there’s a serious chance someone is going to horribly overpay for him and I hope it’s not Detroit.

Hit the jump for more on why I think he's horribly overrated.

ryan_suter_olympics.jpg

Now, admittedly, I’ve not studied the guy. But whenever I’ve watched Suter play, I’ve seen a great #2 defenseman, not the great #1 guy that everyone talks about.

Against Detroit, Shea Weber absolutely dominated. He Prongered the Wings by scoring killer goals, hitting everyone in sight, and literally bullying the Wings the entire round. It’s the first defenseman since, well, Pronger that I thought outplayed Lidstrom in a matchup. Maybe the only other one, ever.

But Suter? Barely noticed him. He appeared to be to Weber as Robin was to Batman. Or put another way, he was Lidstrom’s Rafalski. Sure, he didn’t play horribly, but sure didn’t look like a gamechanger. More of a tag-along.

His stat sheet for the series against Detroit backed up my feelings; he finished with 5 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 Pts, 2 PIM, 0 . Not exactly impressive. His career numbers, while good, also aren’t that impressive.

suterstats.jpg

He averages in high 30s, lower 40s, points per season. That’s slightly better than Ian White, but not even close to Rafalski levels.

He’s not a hitter either. He only put up 46 official hits this past season. For comparison, Weber put up 177 hits. Mike Fisher put up 116. Ian White put up 49. Point made.

So what exactly is so special about Suter? I'm not sure. I’m even more worried that his decent point totals are a result of playing with Weber, similar to how Lidstrom made Rafalski almost hit 60 points multiple times. Without Weber is he a 25 point guy?

Parise is worth the asking price and maybe more. Suter? No.

Maybe I’m missing something. Others think so. I hope so, because I don’t want Detroit to get caught up in the hype and pay superstar prices for what certainly appears to be a #2 defenseman to both my eye and the stat sheet.

Still, in Kenny we trust.

Looking at that free agent list,

in Football and Basketball- players retire around 36-37 if they're lucky

Seeing Sellanne at age 41 and Ray Whitney at 40 being at the top of the list baffles me.

is skating more easy on the knees?
it's a physical game so don't their bodies take as much as a toll?

Originally Posted by cruzair13

Seeing Sellanne at age 41 and Ray Whitney at 40 being at the top of the list baffles me.

A couple of factors:

1. Both are finesse players, and thus have absorbed less punishment relative to other players. Like goalies, this type of player tends to be able to extend their career for that reason.
2. GMs value a veteran voice in the room. Enormous commodity for teams looking to take a step-up, especially around the trade deadline.
3. Teemu still has some of the best hands in the league.
4. Whitney, like Recchi for example, is harder to explain. He's playing some of the best hockey his career despite his advanced age. Grit? Intelligence? Conditioning? I'm not sure. I guess that's why they call him The Wizard.

Nevertheless, guys like Selanne, Whitney, Brodeur, Roloson, Thomas and Jagr are outliers in terms of playing past 35.

30t6p3b.gif
Man I hope the rest of the off-season goes better than this week has. From the rumours of Evander Kane not wanting to re-sign here to the report of Ondrej Pavelec going to the KHL if he doesn't get $4 million a year I really don't know what to think.

Those were the only 2 guys we really needed to bring back and if we lose either of them its really going to suck

Congrats to my homie for the new contract with the Sens 7 years!

Anyone in the Ottawa area, I will be hosting Danny Briere's golf tournament afterparty with all the boys in town at my bar! Let me know if you want an invite!

Originally Posted by WitnessMyCalm21

2012 NHL Awards | Tonight (6/20) | Begins @ 7pm EST | on NBC Sports Network

I set the DVR for this.  The only year I'm interested in watching this, wonder why 
laugh.gif

this is one of the many reasons that the NHL > NBA

[h1][/h1]
[h1]NHL Players Mock LeBron James’ Leg Cramps Via Twitter During Game 4 Of NBA Finals[/h1][h6]June 20, 2012 9:11 AM[/h6]http://boston.cbslocal.com/category/sports/bruins/
BOSTON (CBS) — There may be no tougher group of athletes on the planet than hockey players. They regularly block 90 mph shots without so much as grimacing, they are happy when a high stick causes them to bleed so that their teams will get extra power-play time, they lose teeth and don’t miss a shift, and they play through serious injuries in their quest for winning a Stanley Cup.

So when it comes to toughness, hockey players can’t really be questioned. And if they want to have a little fun at the expense of an NBA player being praised for playing through some leg cramps? Well, they’ve kind of earned that right, too.

That NBA player was LeBron James on Tuesday night. The Heat superstar went down in the fourth quarter with leg cramps. At first, he was able to stay in the game, hitting a one-handed bank shot before nailing a crucial 3-pointer minutes later. It wasn’t exactly a Willis Reed moment, but given that he’s the biggest basketball star on the planet, LeBron was receiving a healthy amount of praise for playing through the pain.

But color some NHL players unimpressed.

Thanks to the miracle of Twitter, we were able to see some of their thoughts as they were happening.

“Lebron James is embarrassing himself and the NBA or actually all athletes,

Originally Posted by True Blues

Originally Posted by cruzair13

A couple of factors:

1. Both are finesse players, and thus have absorbed less punishment relative to other players. Like goalies, this type of player tends to be able to extend their career for that reason.
2. GMs value a veteran voice in the room. Enormous commodity for teams looking to take a step-up, especially around the trade deadline.
3. Teemu still has some of the best hands in the league.
4. Whitney, like Recchi for example, is harder to explain. He's playing some of the best hockey his career despite his advanced age. Grit? Intelligence? Conditioning? I'm not sure. I guess that's why they call him The Wizard.

Nevertheless, guys like Selanne, Whitney, Brodeur, Roloson, Thomas and Jagr are outliers in terms of playing past 35.

solid analysis... i wonder this at times too. but in terms of joint impact I can see why guys are able to go longer in Hockey albeit jus as physically demanding as the other major sports.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

this is one of the many reasons that the NHL > NBA
[h1][/h1]
[h1]NHL Players Mock LeBron James’ Leg Cramps Via Twitter During Game 4 Of NBA Finals[/h1][h6]June 20, 2012 9:11 AM[/h6]http://boston.cbslocal.com/category/sports/bruins/
BOSTON (CBS) — There may be no tougher group of athletes on the planet than hockey players. They regularly block 90 mph shots without so much as grimacing, they are happy when a high stick causes them to bleed so that their teams will get extra power-play time, they lose teeth and don’t miss a shift, and they play through serious injuries in their quest for winning a Stanley Cup.

So when it comes to toughness, hockey players can’t really be questioned. And if they want to have a little fun at the expense of an NBA player being praised for playing through some leg cramps? Well, they’ve kind of earned that right, too.

That NBA player was LeBron James on Tuesday night. The Heat superstar went down in the fourth quarter with leg cramps. At first, he was able to stay in the game, hitting a one-handed bank shot before nailing a crucial 3-pointer minutes later. It wasn’t exactly a Willis Reed moment, but given that he’s the biggest basketball star on the planet, LeBron was receiving a healthy amount of praise for playing through the pain.

But color some NHL players unimpressed.

Thanks to the miracle of Twitter, we were able to see some of their thoughts as they were happening.

“Lebron James is embarrassing himself and the NBA or actually all athletes,

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Originally Posted by WitnessMyCalm21

2012 NHL Awards | Tonight (6/20) | Begins @ 7pm EST | on NBC Sports Network

I set the DVR for this.  The only year I'm interested in watching this, wonder why 
laugh.gif

thanks for the reminder. gotta set DVR

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

are you Rangers fans comfortable with this team playing without a healthy Gabby til around February/early March?

He should only be missing the first 2 months or so. I'm fine with that but I'm worried about how he's gonna play when he returns. Certainly can't expect him to score at last year's pace.

Back
Top Bottom