OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Pathetic PP's by the Rangers tonight, look out of it which is uncharacteristic how well they play on the road.

They look like they just want to go home for Game 7
sick.gif

My nerves.
30t6p3b.gif

The win
pimp.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We're going 7.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

These guys have 10000% bought in to Dale Hunter. And so have I.

They absolutely bought it. Sometimes i think u are the rangers on steroids because u block shots play d but have a legit offense

But we got destiny on our side

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

My nerves.
30t6p3b.gif

The win
pimp.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We're going 7.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I haven't, the dude is doufous, how many leads have they lost in the playoffs they are simply being bailed out by holtby and luck.

Everything I hear from the Canadian media is he's going back to the london knights so enjoy it while it lasts. 

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

My nerves.
30t6p3b.gif

The win
pimp.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We're going 7.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I haven't, the dude is doufous, how many leads have they lost in the playoffs they are simply being bailed out by holtby and luck.

Everything I hear from the Canadian media is he's going back to the london knights so enjoy it while it lasts. 

He probably will go back to London and that's OK. He's shown what it takes to win in the playoffs. The high-flying stuff of years past didnt work. Hunter's system has yielded the best playoff results in the Ovechkin era. No matter what happens on Sat, there is a lot to look forward to if you're a Caps fan. Biggest thing to take away is Ovechkin showing some semblance of defensive responsibility. Folks want him to make a steve yzerman transformation....well, this is a great first step. I was critical of Hunter. I thought they were winning in spite of what he was trying to teach. However, as the playoffs have gone on, i realized that their winning is due to their commitment to TEAM defense and doing what it takes to win. Hunter deserves a lot of the credit here and i'll happily admit I was wrong about him.

idk....I like Hunter as a coach, a lot. Sure Holtby has bailed them out, but you need that stuff in playoffs and compared to their past playoff performances....

To say its been just Holtby is a stretch IMO. He's played great, don't get me wrong. But Hunter has them playing defense for once. Blown leads, sure. It has happened. Game five was shorthanded though, one thing to keep in mind. We'll see how it goes in game 7. The fact of the matter is Hunter has led this team and knocked off the two seed, and has now pushed the one seed to the brink. I realize people say seeding doesn't matter and any team can win it all, but no one thought the Caps would be one win from the ECF. You have to give Hunter credit. I don't even like him, but he's got their attention and theyre playing great hockey.

I think it's honestly just luck combined with a very good goalie. I don't think he's got the Caps playing better, the Caps are the same, the only reason the caps appear to be blocking more shots and is because they have the puck less, because of hunters system. Winning 1 goal games has been prove and time and time again is not a repeatable skill, it's luck. They were lucky to beat the bruins, who were a better team, and they should have one this series by now if not for hunter.

Has Hunter done somethings right? sure Ovi, who gets killed for his defense all the time by the Canadian media (which is #@%@!#*@ BTW, he's not a liability in his own end and gives you value with his checking abilities in the neutral zone. ) he's stopped him from taking those marathon shifts that leave him too gassed to play d if he can't change.

I'm not one to get blinded by results, it's the process, and Dale Hunters process hasn't been great, he's simply been bailed out by luck and good goal tending.

EDIT:

The Capitals had one-goal leads in the third period of 12 playoff games under Boudreau. They held on to seven of them. After the loss to the Rangers on Monday, those same Capitals have had six one-goal leads in the same situation under Hunter. They've lost four of those leads. This, we remind you, has all occurred over the past two weeks.

Doesn't it seem like they've been better than that in close games? Well, if it does, you've been tricked by independent outcomes. The Capitals blew third-period leads in games 2 and 5 of the Bruins series before doing so again in Game 2 of the Rangers series. In each case, the Capitals scored the next goal of the game and won the contest. It's great that they won, but "knowing how to win" in the context of Olczyk's statement and the new Capitals style doesn't mean "allow a goal and then score another one." If anything, that's Bruce Boudreau's style! The Capitals had been a little lucky to win all three games in which they had blown leads, and it had masked their struggles in doing so before now

bingo. How can we call you a better oach if the caps keeping giving up leads...

There is a fallacy that playing in your end all the time, blocking shots, is what win you playoff games with, excluding factors like hot goalies it's really all about puck possession. And this whole thing where the caps get a lead on the rangers and then dale hunter lets the opponent, keep the rest of the game in the caps end is dumb, it basically leavs the game to luck, it was somewhat defensible against a team with significantly more talent and depth like Boston, but NYR? Nah man I think it's stupid.

OKB, the problem with the Barnwell article you cited is sample size. As you are well aware, it's difficult to glean anything from so few games.

As far as Hunter as a coach, despite his personal faults, I've heard very few negative comments from guys that played for him in London.

I'm still not sure where I stand on the Caps' run.

EDIT: Posting from my phone... The formatting is a little wonky.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I think it's honestly just luck combined with a very good goalie. I don't think he's got the Caps playing better, the Caps are the same, the only reason the caps appear to be blocking more shots and is because they have the puck less, because of hunters system. Winning 1 goal games has been prove and time and time again is not a repeatable skill, it's luck. They were lucky to beat the bruins, who were a better team, and they should have one this series by now if not for hunter.

Has Hunter done somethings right? sure Ovi, who gets killed for his defense all the time by the Canadian media (which is #@%@!#*@ BTW, he's not a liability in his own end and gives you value with his checking abilities in the neutral zone. ) he's stopped him from taking those marathon shifts that leave him too gassed to play d if he can't change.

I'm not one to get blinded by results, it's the process, and Dale Hunters process hasn't been great, he's simply been bailed out by luck and good goal tending.

EDIT:

The Capitals had one-goal leads in the third period of 12 playoff games under Boudreau. They held on to seven of them. After the loss to the Rangers on Monday, those same Capitals have had six one-goal leads in the same situation under Hunter. They've lost four of those leads. This, we remind you, has all occurred over the past two weeks.

Doesn't it seem like they've been better than that in close games? Well, if it does, you've been tricked by independent outcomes. The Capitals blew third-period leads in games 2 and 5 of the Bruins series before doing so again in Game 2 of the Rangers series. In each case, the Capitals scored the next goal of the game and won the contest. It's great that they won, but "knowing how to win" in the context of Olczyk's statement and the new Capitals style doesn't mean "allow a goal and then score another one." If anything, that's Bruce Boudreau's style! The Capitals had been a little lucky to win all three games in which they had blown leads, and it had masked their struggles in doing so before now
bingo. How can we call you a better oach if the caps keeping giving up leads...

There is a fallacy that playing in your end all the time, blocking shots, is what win you playoff games with, excluding factors like hot goalies it's really all about puck possession. And this whole thing where the caps get a lead on the rangers and then dale hunter lets the opponent, keep the rest of the game in the caps end is dumb, it basically leavs the game to luck, it was somewhat defensible against a team with significantly more talent and depth like Boston, but NYR? Nah man I think it's stupid.

There are three things you need in order to win in the playoffs...and in case you haven't noticed, it's a COMPLETELY different game than what you see during the regular season.

1.  Commitment to defense
2.  Good goaltending
3.  Luck, aka. Hockey Gods swinging things your way. 

To win the cup, you do need a certain amount of luck to swing in your favor.  I won't deny it.  However, when a team like the Caps look DRASTICALLY different than they have in years past due to #1 reason I listed, credit HAS to be given to the coach. 

Things didn't work under Boudreau in the playoffs because he would rely heavily on AO, Semin, Backstrom, etc...and these guys would play 1:30 shifts at a time.  Now, when you're asked to backcheck or do the little things in the defensive end that make a difference, how much do you think tired legs play a factor?  It's huge.  This is part of the reason why they had no success in the 2nd season after winning the Prez trophy or coming away w. a SE Title or 100 points. 

Hunter has these guys play short EFFICIENT shifts.  Reason being, he wants fresh legs from all 4 lines.  Not just relying on your top-6 like Boudreau did.  I have watched probably 99% of Ovechkin's games since he's come to DC.  This is either in person or watching on TV.  He's NEVER been good defensively and even last year when Boudreau made the drastic system change, he didn't buy in. 

Since the playoffs started, Dale Hunter has gotten through to Ovechkin.  If you can't see that #8 now KNOWS what it takes to win, then I don't know what to tell you.  When was the last time you can remember Ovechkin sprawling out to block a shot or actually STOPPING in his own end (instead of circling) to make the proper defensive play? 

It's now happening.  I don't know what to expect for game 7, but no matter the outcome I'm excited for the caps going forward.  This is the first year in the Ovechkin-era where the team actually looks like they belong in playoffs. 

I agree with that notion...this is the first Capitals team that is actually competing.  Before they may have been a #1 seed, but you expected them to lose.  They look great out there this postseason and it is refreshing to see them actually show some grit and heart.   Dale Hunter has done a great coaching job.  

devils fans, how you you feel about possibly retaining Parise this offseason?

dating back to last year they were saying how the devils needed to remain competitive to convince zach to re-sign. conference finals aint too shabby

Spoiler [+]
[h3]Does Devils' run impact Parise's decision? 
in.gif
[/h3]
May, 10, 2012
May 10

9:49

AM ET

Eliot J. Schechter/Getty ImagesWill this be Zach Parise's last run in New Jersey?

The contrast between the two was stark. First, there was Zach Parise, who had led the New Jersey Devils to a dominating second-round win over the Philadelphia Flyers in five games. When it was all over on Tuesday, the Devils' captain sat comfortably in the visitors dressing room in Philly, smiling while answering questions from reporters about the accomplishment. He was talking mostly about just how much he was enjoying it all.

"It's awesome," Parise said. "It's really fun for everybody. We're having a good time doing it. For everyone, the way things went last year, we're happy to be in the situation we're in. We're enjoying this."

It's probably safe to say that Nashville Predators defenseman Ryan Suter didn't enjoy his give-and-take with the media in Nashville on Wednesday nearly as much. What gave it away? Well, he didn't want to do it in the first place. Once he reconsidered, most cameras were gone, and when he spoke, to his credit, he spoke honestly.

The Tennessean's Josh Cooper noted that Suter was still emotional. Emotional about Monday's early exit for the Predators. Emotional about the decision ahead -- the same decision Parise will face at some point after New Jersey's season ends.

Both are slated to be unrestricted free agents on July 1.

"Wherever I sign, I want to be there for the rest of my career and that affects my family, my wife, my kid [and] if we have more kids," Suter told Cooper. "Everything plays into it."

Suter has consistently said that his decision will hinge on whether he believes that the Predators can consistently contend for a Stanley Cup. It doesn't bode well for his evaluation that this might have been their best team in franchise history and they couldn't get out of the second round.

But what about Parise? Is it that simple? His team has advanced to the Eastern Conference semifinals, where the Devils have proved they have as good a chance as anybody of playing for a Stanley Cup. Had they lost in the first round, most of us would have penciled Parise in for a guaranteed trip to free agency. Does this playoff success change things?

I posed that question to his agent, Newport's Wade Arnott, and even he wasn't sure.

"I don't know," he said. "Does the fact that they're showing well and taking a longer run and becoming more competitive, is it the right fit? I don't know the answer to that."

But it's got to help the cause, right?

"It probably bodes decently for the Devils," Arnott said.

But there are other issues. Sometimes it's not as easy as wins and losses. In Nashville, the Predators have done a good job of erasing all the other concerns from the equation. It's a great place to play hockey with a passionate, growing fan base. There's now stability with an ownership that has been very public in its willingness to spend and backed it up by giving a huge contract Pekka Rinne. Despite the shortcomings this spring, GM David Poile and coach Barry Trotz remain one of the most respected duos in the game. If Poile retires any time soon, the Predators would have arguably the best assistant GM in the game in Paul Fenton ready to take over.

For Suter, it could be as simple as deciding whether that combination of factors is enough to equal a consistent chance at a Stanley Cup for the next decade.

Things aren't quite as clear in New Jersey.

First there are serious concerns about ownership, a group saddled with debt. In February, the New York Post reported that controlling owner Jeff Vanderbeek worked a deal with an investor to pay down overdue debt but may be forced to sell the team in the fall if he can't line up more money. The Post also reported that the NHL has been advancing the Devils millions against future revenue.

Then came the public battle with Newark mayor Cory Booker in which Booker spelled out Vanderbeek's shortcomings in a Newark Star-Ledger column. According to Booker, Vanderbeek hadn't delivered on required annual contributions to Newark's job training and placement efforts. Booker also said that Vanderbeek backed out on a commitment to build a recreation center during a time in which the city has watched two Boys and Girls Clubs close.

Vanderbeek said Booker's comments were politically driven.

"He's trying to undo six years of being this outsider because he may have to get elected mayor again," Vanderbeek told the Star-Ledger.

Either way, it was ugly. But there are even more questions in New Jersey. The Devils' decades-long success has been anchored behind the leadership of Lou Lamoriello. He'll turn 70 in October. How much longer will he want to run things in New Jersey? Who will replace him?

Martin Brodeur is the other Devils anchor, and he's been outstanding this postseason, sitting at 8-3 with a .920 save percentage and 2.05 goals-against average. But is this it for him at age 40? Is there a plan of succession in place?

Chances are Parise's next deal will be anchor him with a team for the next decade -- at least. Whoever signs him will get a chance to sneak one more long-term deal that dances around the salary cap before the new collective bargaining agreement potentially brings in tighter restrictions.

All these issues enter the equation on that decision, and some don't compare favorably to the situations of Parise's potential suitors. The Detroit Red Wings will push hard for Parise, and they have one of the best owners in sports in Mike Ilitch, who is committed to spending whatever it takes to win a Stanley Cup. GM Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock are widely considered the best in the business and are locked in for the foreseeable future.

The Rangers are expected to make a push and have no issues spending money. Parise also got to know coach John Tortorella well from their time together in the Winter Olympics. The Minnesota Wild will be aggressive in their pursuit of Parise and would offer a return home for him along with a young team on the rise anchored by owner Craig Leipold, who is eager to land a star player. It's hard to imagine the Wild being outspent to land Parise.

"It's important to our franchise that we become one of those markets where players want to come to," Leipold told the Star Tribune's Mike Russo in April. "We have to get to that point."

Even a long shot like the Carolina Hurricanes provides more certainty than New Jersey, as Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos Jr. has shown an incredible commitment to growing hockey in Raleigh for years.

To his credit, Parise has put all this aside and focused completely on leading his team as far as it can go. He has four goals and four assists in 12 games, the most postseason games he's played in his career. He also leads all NHL players with 51 shots in the playoffs.

"We really haven't had any discussions with Zach on the business side," Arnott said. "He made it clear to Lou and the Devils that he wanted to focus on hockey. That was prior to the playoffs. Purposefully, we haven't had any discussion, either, internally."

Until that happens, Parise will just enjoy what is turning out to be a special run for the Devils.

"It means a lot for everybody," Parise told reporters after his team eliminated the Flyers. "We're all in this together. We're playing together. We're having fun doing it. So I think everyone is excited to be in the situation we're in."

Everything in that article pretty much sums up why we probably won't resign him, skimmed it this AM. I've always maintained that a deep run would probably at least give the Devils a punchers chance but it's going to be hard to match or for him to turn down Detroit/NYR money. I think him and Suter are both there when the dust settles.

Back
Top Bottom