OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

04772d45_spiritsofvengeance.jpeg

Marvel Legacy, you had my curiosity, but now you have my attention. Mother******* Spirits of Vengeance! Blade and (looks like) Johnny in a new team-up?! I'm so out of the loop on Ghost Rider right now. Have no clue what's going on with Johnny or Danny (The OG SOV :pimp: ). Not the biggest fan of Satanna, but I'm cool with it.

86def291_EHE3bbk.gif

Also, what is this? Punisher has the War Machine suit? :wow:

Hey guys I'm just starting to get into comics. I know there's so many different arcs/timelines. Is there any good comics that I should start with? Any recommendations.

For superhero comics from the Big 2, I would start small. Find a character or two you like and check out if they have a current ongoing series. Then look up key stories to read. New or finished indie comics are easy to get into. You don't have to worry about decades of continuity or status quo.

So what is this Marvel Legacy stuff gonna be about? I try to get into the current Marvel comics, but the weird **** and events keep pulling me back.

Okay so I'm interested in Spider-Man/Venom and the infinity war story. Any suggestions on those ones.

Marvel just relaunched Venom with the legacy numbering starting with #150 I think last month. There's a Venomverse event going on or starting soon too.

Marvel also just started a new Spider-Man ongoing called Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man. #1 released this past Wednesday. I haven't been reading it anymore, but there's the flagship Amazing Spider-Man series still going on too.

With old Spider-Man, I would start from the first issue and go nuts until you get into the 300's. The cheapest/easiest way to read it all would be to get a Marvel Unlimited subscription.

A good modern starting point has got to be the JMS run.

Amazon product ASIN 0785138935

Also, you may want to check out Marvel Unlimited. It's an app for $10 a month you get thousands of comics at your disposal.

No worries. If you want physical copies of the original Amazing Spider-Man run, that's going to cost you a small fortune though. :lol: Low grade copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 and ASM #1 cost thousands of dollars. I'm not a big fan of digital either, or a trade person, but I love the Marvel Masterworks and DC Archives where they collect the old Golden and Silver Age runs. They come in slick hardcovers with nicer rigid paper and the dimensions are roughly the same as a modern comic book.

Amazon product ASIN 0785191313
Then there's the oversized omnibusses which have like 3-4x as many issues collected in a single hardcover with giant pages. Imagine trying to read a door. :rofl:

Amazon product ASIN 130290082X

Last edited:
Holy **** nvm then lmao I might just start with more of the modern comics. You think I'll be able to find those newer Spider-Man ones and venom if I walk into a comic shop

You should be straight on Spider-Man. Spider-Man is one of the biggest sellers and it's a #1. Not sure about Venom, but I feel like it'll be easy to get still. After that you'll have to keep up with the Marvel solicitations to know what day each issue comes out every month. (It'll probably say in the back of the issue too.)

Aight I'll see what the guy at the comic book shop suggests too. How do you feel about the DC rebirth. My friend recommended that one to me today.

I've been liking the mystery they've got going on with Rebirth so far. The Batman/Flash crossover The Button was pretty nuts. The Dark Knights: Metal event they've got coming in a couple months sounds hype too.

Hey guys I'm just starting to get into comics. I know there's so many different arcs/timelines. Is there any good comics that I should start with? Any recommendations.
Just in general, that's a lot between Marvel, DC, and then everything else including independent comics (even more if you include manga).

I'll just suggest some of my favs to start you off with:

Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis (just all the volumes, good easy fun reads)
New Avengers vol. 1
Daredevil: Born Again by Frank Miller
Daredevil by Waid & Samnee
Black Panther by Christopher Preist (entire run even the white panther stuff)
Batman: Year One
Bone
Umbrella Academy
All of Amazing Spider-Man
Nextwave: Agents of Hate
The Authority
Transmetropolitan
Stormwatch
The Nightly News
Pax Romana
Transhuman
Fear Agent
The End League
Everything by Alan Moore; specifically Top 10, From Hell, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Promethea, Batman: The Killing Joke

Okay so I'm interested in Spider-Man/Venom and the infinity war story. Any suggestions on those ones.
Okay so for Spider-Man/Venom, read Amazing Spider-Man #252-258, Spectacular Spider-Man: Sin Eater/The Death of Jean DeWolff, Web of Spider-Man vol. 1 (the early stuff mostly deals with Venom like up to #18)

For Infinity War stuff read Thanos Quest, Infinity Gauntlet, Warlock & The Infinity Watch, and Infinity War. All pretty great reads.

So what is this Marvel Legacy stuff gonna be about? I try to get into the current Marvel comics, but the weird **** and events keep pulling me back.
Its just the latest Marvel initative/relaunch.

Instead of new #1s they're bringing back legacy numbering to lure back the completist snobbish (and apparently easily fooled) comic book fan. Also there's a big one shot that'll set the tone for the next year or 2 in Marvel comics.

Not sure at all what you mean by weird **** since you know, comics but Marvel has said their next event won't be until a while or until sales drop which is the main reason why they do so many events.

Last edited:
When does Marvel Legacy launch? That may get me back to buying issues...or I'll just wait and buy the trade lol

All I really know is there's the one-shot, then I think there's a handful of team-up one-shots with the new and old characters who share personas. It looks like the majority of the line is continuing current ongoings. Some books are going back to legacy numbering.

The guys at my shop are just as confused about it too. Maybe they'll have more about Legacy during SDCC. I thought it was going to be an event to bring back old favorites like Bruce Banner, Professor Xavier, Cyclops, Logan, and the Fantastic Four. Hopefully make Thor worthy again, restore Cap to his former glory, send the O5 back to their own timeline, etc.

So this is just a relaunch, and the status quo will remain?
What status quo are you referring to?

There's not gonna be a reboot or anything like that. Marvel's never been that bad quality or sales wise especially when they could just start another comic line.

If you mean individual status quos, well that's always changing regardless.

All I really know is there's the one-shot, then I think there's a handful of team-up one-shots with the new and old characters who share personas. It looks like the majority of the line is continuing current ongoings. Some books are going back to legacy numbering.

The guys at my shop are just as confused about it too. Maybe they'll have more about Legacy during SDCC. I thought it was going to be an event to bring back old favorites like Bruce Banner, Professor Xavier, Cyclops, Logan, and the Fantastic Four. Hopefully make Thor worthy again, restore Cap to his former glory, send the O5 back to their own timeline, etc.
You're mixing together 2 different things.

Marvel Legacy relaunch initative in September. Legacy numbering returns, new titles launched, mostly other comics keep going, a few creative team changes. The crux is the Marvel Legacy one shot which will set the stage for the Marvel universe for the next year or more. One major tease has been Marvel is going to bring back something, someone or some group back.

Marvel's Generations is a contained event of like 10 or 12 one-shots that's has little on details on it so far but is connected to the teased Vanishing Point and possibly the end of Secret Empire. That starts in August. There hasn't been a big tease for this other than the obvious current heroes teaming up with their past counterparts.

I'm cool on it if it's not a relaunch.
It is a relaunch for the most part. Marvel's been doing relaunches every year since like Siege.

If you're confusing relaunch reboot and you want a reboot then yeah, this is not for you.

Marvel isn't a fan of that, most Marvel fans don't want it, and if they wanted to start fresh and new they'd just create a new alternate universe. The last one lasted like 15 or 16 years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom