OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

Ashamed to say I havent peeped the original runs yet
mean.gif
One day ill cop the omnibuses

For now, Roger Stern >>>
Stan's run started off shaky. He set the tone, created all the villains we know, but for me, it didn't start getting good until like issue 50, which is Spider Man No More and I think Kingpins first appearance.

Nah. Gotta read into the context man

Peter Parker is just this loser who becomes an extraordinary paragon of fantastic heroism, and then has to deal with very real teen (and human) issues like romance, sex, self-esteem, anger, guilt, grief, determination, courage, etc

And the beautiful thing is that the dual nature of "Loser Peter" and "Hero Spidey" is completely turned upside down in a very short span of time, as Peter comes out of his shell, starts college, realizes that his intelligence, determination and good-naturedness will automatically have girls throwin the yambz at him if he just shows some got damn confidence and self-acceptance

You got Flash Thompson who the entire time is an *** to Peter but there's always his unwavering support for Spidey and you wonder if he and Peter will ever be friends, you got Betty Brant who dropped out of HS to work for the biggest scumbag known to man (at least early on), you got all the colorful and creative villains who are each worth their own entire movie as the movies have shown (whether the movies themselves are good or bad), etc etc

I will go so far as to say that Spider-Man is the FIRST comic book hero that readers could actually identify with, and easily the GOAT superhero

Last edited:
That's cool and all but I was just speaking on when the actual stories themselves got good.

Last edited:
Nice ronaldcinho ronaldcinho .That Veno line up.
I just picked up around 40 Spawn back issues from various places. So expensive. I'm guessing low print runs during my "break." Especially the late 100s to early 200s

The Case for Better Black Supervillians

Black superheroes have undergone a necessary evolution over the last 50 years. Luke Cage was originally a jive-talking hero-for-hire, but he’s become an altruistic mainstay of the Marvel heroes. Storm leads the X-Men, while Black Panther makes decisions that gravely affect the state of the universe. The growth and variation of black superheroes has brought them out of the shadows.

But we’re still lacking the same sort of evolution and diversification for great black supervillains. Off the top of your head how many can you name? And of those, how many are iconic?

Perhaps the one that’s most likely to come to mind is Black Manta, Aquaman‘s ill-tempered foe, and one of the most prominent black supervillains in comics; but even he may raise a few eyebrows.

Manta-Unmasked
Black Manta (DC Comics)
Black Manta’s helmet and suit offer complete ambiguity. Truth is, as readers we don’t know who’s under the mask; we can only assume. And that’s what most readers did, until Manta’s famous helmet reveal in 1993 confirmed why his name is truly Black Manta. But Manta’s first appearance was in 1967’s Aquaman #35; his black heritage was kept a secret from readers for 26 years! And even after the reveal, he’s rarely seen outside his glossy black latex number.

Marvel’s most familiar black villains include Black Mariah (Mariah Dillard, for those familiar with the Luke Cage Netflix series), the Black Panther villain Man-Ape, and the albino Spider-Man villain Tombstone, all of whom fall into the “thug” or “streetwise” cliches that characterized many of the early black heroes. The X-Men foe Apocalypse is perhaps Marvel’s most notable example of a black supervillain, but like Manta, his blackness is obscured. He’s Egyptian, but his blue skin and armored costume make him appear more alien than human.

While black superheroes have made vast strides to escape these stereotypes, villains are still pigeonholed as mob bosses, gangsters, and heavies, boasting brute strength and fighting acumen rather than wit or intelligence. These characters follow lowbrow henchman archetypes, instead of occupying mastermind roles like Lex Luthor, Magneto, or Loki. The few villains that subvert these stereotypes, like the Marvel villain Doctor Positron, or the animated Young Justice version of Queen Bee, are woefully underused and barely seen.

Dr Positron (Marvel Comics)
Dr Positron (Marvel Comics)
I love villains. They’re beautifully flawed characters. Sometimes they represent extreme versions of worldviews we’re familiar with. For example, Magneto knows the horrors of oppression, and his conviction for the wellbeing of mutantkind is believable and at times admirable. Sometimes they’re appealing because of their wickedness; the Joker is as dangerous as they come, but he’s explosive, memorable, and charismatically sadistic, allowing readers to explore their inner darkness.

The most memorable villains tend to share an ability to inspire, often matched with a desire to reshape the world, whether their goals lie in global conquest, the ascension of their people, or simply creating chaos and havoc. The best villains are leaders, not henchmen; black villains are not given the opportunity to lead.

As black excellence has become a more prominent feature of comic book narratives, it should play a role in creating fantastic, terrifying, yet lovable black villains as well.

There’s an obvious danger here. No-one wants a black villain blundering through a sea of tired tropes and racial ignorance. But there’s an opportunity to include people of color in comics in a way that isn’t being pursued. Many viewers of Superman: The Animated Series read its version of Lex Luthor as black; why isn’t there an actual rich black villainous mastermind who can give Lex Luthor a run for his money? Where are the black villains with the godlike ambitions of Doctor Doom?

Villains shape and inspire the world in their own way. It’s about time our villains reflected the world they want to conquer.

finished the first vol. of batman rebirth...so confused...so disappointed...might check out the superman rebirth.

what about all the other rebirths. any worth grabbing...

finished the first vol. of batman rebirth...so confused...so disappointed...might check out the superman rebirth.

what about all the other rebirths. any worth grabbing...

I've personally enjoyed Flash and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps.

Marvel Comics Says Its Marvel Legacy Run Will Break The Internet

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/04/25/marvel-legacy-breaks-internet/

I am looking forward to this. Sounds like what I was saying in here a few page back. Its a one shot comic where basically Marvel is going back to basic's. Almost like their version of "Rebirth" where they will reestablish their hero's and keep thing's simpler. After the one shot many of the comics will go back to original numbering! Again, something else that I've been saying in here! :D
I'm exicted for it. Let's hope it pays off like the Rebirth One shot!

5813029-3222584-dd_ash_can_r1-8.jpg

33.jpg

Gonna give DC another try with their Dark Matter launch.

Even though a chunk of it is Snyder who I've grown tired of a bit.

It it for Tynion and Abnett though and the great artists across the board.

Over the past few months i've been thinking about doing something similar and getting my single or smaller volumes custom bound into a larger set. This would be especially useful for comics that had never been collected into a trade volume before or that have trades that are now out of print.

Marvel Comics Says Its Marvel Legacy Run Will Break The Internet

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/04/25/marvel-legacy-breaks-internet/

I am looking forward to this. Sounds like what I was saying in here a few page back. Its a one shot comic where basically Marvel is going back to basic's. Almost like their version of "Rebirth" where they will reestablish their hero's and keep thing's simpler. After the one shot many of the comics will go back to original numbering! Again, something else that I've been saying in here!
happy.gif

I'm exicted for it. Let's hope it pays off like the Rebirth One shot!
Interesting. I hope it pays off for Marvel. There is so much going on right now.

Took my daughter to the local comic book shop for FCBD...She ran away from Darth Vader 
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom