Official Chicago Bulls Offseason Thread

Here's some speculation from Sam Smith as to why Lucas III and Pargo were signed:

[h2]Bulls add Pargo and Lucas, but why?[/h2]
-- Jannero Pargo and John Lucas III? Huh, or something like that I’ve been asked since the Bulls announced their signings Sunday. Actually, it’s a very clever move if it is what I think it is. I wish I would have thought of it. The Bulls are going to have a very difficult time coming out of this next labor agreement—whenever that is—of improving their roster. Their likely won’t be another mid-level exception as league records show it to be the most egregious of contracts for money versus production. And with the extension for Derrick Rose, the Bulls would be way over whatever cap figure the NBA comes up with having four eight-figure annual players in Rose, Luol Deng, Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah.

So this is what I think the Bulls did. I don’t expect either Lucas or Pargo to play, given C.J. Watson has been adequate as a point guard backup and coach Tom Thibodeau has made it clear in the non-use of Rasual Butler he is going with the guys who got the team to this point. I expect Pargo and Lucas to be inactive the rest of the season, though they are playoff eligible in case of an injury. They agreed to two-year non-guaranteed deals, similar to Keith Bogans’ contract, though for less money. So this is what the Bulls can do after July 1 to get a player. The thinking around the NBA is the new labor deal may force teams to shed some players like we saw in the NHL. The Bulls could build up, effectively, a $5 million form of a trade exception with the non-guaranteed contacts of Bogans, Lucas and Pargo, and if the rules remain similar, perhaps have the 125 percent so-called fudge factor in trades. The Bulls then could absorb a player making $5 million and the team giving him up could then cut the players they get back as the Bulls would likely throw in some incentive, like a draft pick. For about $5 million, you can get a quality starter and it would be just for these pieces. Otherwise, the Bulls would be in no position to add that kind of player. There’s no guarantee, obviously, but it potentially puts the Bulls in position to add a higher level talent than they would have been able to under what everyone expects the new rules to be. Not bad.

pimp.gif

exactly what i was thinking

hey fellas we gotta cheer for the knicks tonight they are playing boston and could do us a huge favor. but i still think first place is going to come down to our meeting with boston in april

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

This is a smart move if that'swhat they really meant. It for..
It probably is, because I think when it was first reported it was done for "future financial flexibility."  At the time it didn't make any sense to me, but after reading this I hope that's what it's for too.

@Mause, agreed I do think that game is going to be crucial for that top seed.  I'll root for the Celtics losing, not the Knicks winning.  It's all in the phrasing...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by therenegade23

Gonna be at the game tonight
pimp.gif
. Benny's bday
pimp.gif

I have a feeling DRose will have a great game, so he alone is worth the price of admission.  Other teams' mascots usually come for Benny's bday...at least they did last year.

Originally Posted by CAto312

pimp.gif
. Benny's bday
pimp.gif

I have a feeling DRose will have a great game, so he alone is worth the price of admission.  Other teams' mascots usually come for Benny's bday...at least they did last year.

yep
gyi0064002337.jpg

Originally Posted by CAto312

pimp.gif
. Benny's bday
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted by illmatic34

Knicks just blew a 14 point lead to the C's. Thanks for the help
indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif
 ...on the bright side, we're well on our way to fitttttty W's for the season 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom