***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

It wasnt force fed like some new songs but they got a lot of industry support from artists and djs. Im sure it was due to the relationships they have with people. It played a lot and was talked about a lot but nothing like always beeing at the top of your music players search browser because they have a relationship with the conpany.

It wasnt force fed like some new songs but they got a lot of industry support from artists and djs. Im sure it was due to the relationships they have with people. It played a lot and was talked about a lot but nothing like always beeing at the top of your music players search browser because they have a relationship with the conpany.

Exactly

Either way for them to have a song of that magnitude and be completely independent is a huge accomplishment for them.

Cracks me up when people actually believe he's independent. Budden was losing his mind on his podcast that people really believe he's independent.

I don't get the independent gimmick for marketing. How does that attract fans?

Last edited:
You can see how people talk about records being forced. So I guess they feel like everything is real and organic and they're part of the movement.

Plus people love to see the underdog win.

We've had this discussion ad nauseum. From what I know, he is an independent artist by the true definition. I could obviously be wrong.

But he is not tied to a major label. He just happens to have well connected, experienced people behind him. With access to a lot of resources. Including money.

Last edited:
Same thing with Macklemore. He may be independent now, but no way in hell was he independent when Thrift Shop dropped. That annoying *** song took off something serious

You can see how people talk about records being forced. So I guess they feel like everything is real and organic and they're part of the movement.

We've had this discussion ad nauseum. From what I know, he is an independent artist by the true definition. I could obviously be wrong.

But he is not tied to a major label. He just happens to have well connected, experienced people behind him. With access to a lot of resources. Including money.

So technically he's not "independent" if he has people investing in him and those investments require dividends.

Technically, the only truly independent artist who's immensely successful is Tech N9NE. No apple deal or industry push.

Heard Tech N9NE even owns the factories that produces his merch. That's independence.

Btw, what's up Phil, no time no talk. Hope everything is groovy on your end bro. :smokin

But Apple pushed his "mixtape" hard. It was everywhere and advertised as an Apple product. With all those features, he can't be independent. I'm not buying.

We really have. Its like people wanna think "independent" mean you and a few homies doing it by y'all selves :lol:

Every successful independent artist has a "team". The money, resources, connections, etc obviously widely varies tho. Chance has Cara Lewis to make plays behind the scenes.

Tech N9ne had a multimillionaire behind him from the jump. Travis O Guin was already rich, HE was the one that had the bread to put up for Strange Music. Not to take away from Tech, he works hard as ****, but if he didn't Travis there's a good chance he would still be in KC. I heard he was moving sloppy as hell before they linked up in the late 90s.

As far as Macklemore, I don't think he ever signed but he did do some type of partnership with ADA/Warner to distribute Thrift Shop. Just like Rich Homie Quan never signed but Fly and Trinidad James took Type of Way to Def Jam to distribute (and got a FAT *** bag for it too).

Last edited:

So technically he's not "independent" if he has people investing in him and those investments require dividends.

Technically, the only truly independent artist who's immensely successful is Tech N9NE. No apple deal or industry push.

Heard Tech N9NE even owns the factories that produces his merch. That's independence.

Btw, what's up Phil, no time no talk. Hope everything is groovy on your end bro. :smokin

All good here. Hope all good there.

As said above, by industry standards, he's independent. Independent isn't just some dude by himself in his house making music and then selling it hand to hand on the street.

As much as people don't want to believe it, even Macklemore was indie. I knew the guys hired to work Thrift Shop. They got it on the radio because of how well the album sold. Warners promo team was eventually hired to take it all the way though.

Even when you do a deal with ADA, it does not mean a major is touching your product. They are just there for distribution. ADA. RED. Caroline. They distribute. They usually have label services like promo/marketing etc that you can pay for if you want.

But the labels do all the work themselves and decide what they do/don't want to pay for. They are free to also hire others for those same services.

I had actually watched that Sam one as well maybe two nights back and I agree that it's good. Always a fan of Michael Eric Dyson interviews as well:

[Video][/Video]

Just didn't cross my mind to post either of them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom