***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

To harp on the Dame Dash subject again, why buy Karmaloop, which is already established, and peaked around 2007-2010? It's kind of ironic, being that he told the Breakfast club trio to start up a station themselves.

Why won't Dame just put in motion a new, organic website from scratch?

It's like when wealthy (black) entertainers buy a restaurant franchise, yet they still are pretty much paying into the pockets of the company chairmen.

You are still working at someone elses expense

To harp on the Dame Dash subject again, why buy Karmaloop, which is already established, and peaked around 2007-2010? It's kind of ironic, being that he told the Breakfast club trio to start up a station themselves.

Why won't Dame just put in motion a new, organic website from scratch?

It's like when wealthy (black) entertainers buy a restaurant franchise, yet they still are pretty much paying into the pockets of the company chairmen.

You are still working at someone elses expense
If he buys the website...who is he working for?

Franchising is not the same as buying a company.

Dame didn't say half of this

He said he doesn't save money, he flips. That's not passing money down. He only mentioned passing businesses down, and what business does he have to pass down?

Half of the videos are him gossiping. Isn't the Jay-Z and informant **** gossip? Much less him talking about Jay-Z and Solange or Beyoncé.

Being a school teacher isn't something you should be proud of? Fireman? So dumping champagne on women, ranting on the radio and having your name in the media constantly for negative reasons is something you should be proud of?
:lol:

Yea it should be something to be proud of if that's really your lifelong goal, however that is FAR from the truth for most people in their professions. (Especially teachers which upsets me beyond belief and is a whole other story)

Many people are doing these jobs but have much larger aspirations in life, and instead of really trying to push for what they aspire they stick to current job due to the security that comes along with it.

Hell in the case of the Breakfast Club he does have a pretty good point. All three are established it's them who garner ratings, it's them who have the relationships with artist, it's them who do the interviews. Instead of being on clear channel they could essentially start their own morning show and possibly see a very similar level of success while getting a huge bump in equity.

At the end of the day i think their are people who are going to look at this message completely different. One being the person who doesn't like being told what to do the other being a person who works better when told what to do.

If he buys the website...who is he working for?

Franchising is not the same as buying a company.

That's my point. If he's so self made and such a boss, why buy a company that was started 10+ years ago. Start his own? Why not do a re-brand of Roc-a-wear?

Last edited:
Yea it should be something to be proud of if that's really your lifelong goal, however that is FAR from the truth for most people in their professions. (Especially teachers which upsets me beyond belief and is a whole other story)

Many people are doing these jobs but have much larger aspirations in life, and instead of really trying to push for what they aspire they stick to current job due to the security that comes along with it.

Hell in the case of the Breakfast Club he does have a pretty good point. All three are established it's them who garner ratings, it's them who have the relationships with artist, it's them who do the interviews. Instead of being on clear channel they could essentially start their own morning show and possibly see a very similar level of success while getting a huge bump in equity.

At the end of the day i think their are people who are going to look at this message completely different. One being the person who doesn't like being told what to do the other being a person who works better when told what to do.

He had no point.

You do realize TBC allows Envy to be known all across the country and be able to do shows globally. And DJ's are self employed. Envy has also had his own businesses and imprint.

TBC helped Charlamagne get gigs on MTV because he was a national personality. He's even tried to develop his own shows.

Yee host on the weekends, because of how known she is. She's done her own stuff, because of being a known personality. She manages and stuff also.

All of them have more than one job and branched out, because they've used their popularity and 9 to 5 to build their brands.

They were the wrong people to say that to. And still Dame is a blatant hypocrite about it. What was Dame doing with Rocafella, Rocawear, Armadale and Pro Keds? Because none of them were his.

Last edited:
That's my point. If he's so self made and such a boss, why buy a company that was started 10+ years ago. Start his own? Why not do a re-brand of Roc-a-wear?
1. You're reaching. I could see if Dame went in there and said "you're not a boss if you buy a company from someone". But he didn't. You're the one reaching for that. If he buys a company...it's his...making him the boss.

2. What was point of the franchising comparison...when owning a franchise isn't the same as owning the company?

2 things....

It's one thing to motivate people to be great. And to be happy with what they are doing. But that's a separate conversation. You can be great within the confines of being employed. You can push for what you aspire to within the confines of a job. And even be happy with what you do.

And do it on a FAR greater scale than people who are their "own boss". I used Lucian Grainge as an example a few pages back. Seemed like Dame was kind of ******** on all of this.

As for the 2nd comment, something similar was said before, and I'm curious, where are they starting their own morning show? On what platform? Is it a podcast? Is it a youtube channel?

Is this something that can be monetized, when you take into account overhead (production costs) etc., the hosts salaries etc. to a level where they do as well if not better than they are now? Do they still get booked for appearances in other markets where the show plays if the show isn't there?

Or is it just on...another radio station?

Are they buying that station? Independently? In a major market where guests will care about doing that morning show for that one station in that one city?

You think the hosts' relationships with the guests outweighs all of those guests wanting to be on 50 Clear Channel stations by being up there? I would say that has as much, if not more, to do with the guests they're able to book.

I'm asking sincerely. Because I don't see that at all. I don't think Kanye West goes up there if not for the platform that the show allows him BECAUSE of Clear Channel and the 50+ stations they put them on.

Last edited:
2 things....

It's one thing to motivate people to be great. And to be happy with what they are doing. But that's a separate conversation. You can be great within the confines of being employed. You can push for what you aspire to within the confines of a job. And even be happy with what you do.

And do it on a FAR greater scale than people who are their "own boss". I used Lucian Grainge as an example a few pages back. Seemed like Dame was kind of ******** on all of this.

:lol: ... ok

By all means, provide me with some perspective on employment vs. ownership Nikekidwonder.

I've been seeing you talk this nonsense for a while now about people you know who own businesses.

And when you put the numbers up, they pale in comparison to people I know that are gainfully employed. It's almost laughable.

You guys are looking at the broad concept of having a "job" vs. "owning" a business.

As if the level of success you have in either isn't a clear factor.

Which is idiotic.

Regardless of whether or not Dame is doing well for himself, you don't think there are people with "jobs" doing better than him that will inevitably pass down more to their children than he will?

Don't be ridiculous.

I've worked at companies. And I've run my own "business". I know people in the same boat who would love to go back to their own jobs (hard to do when you get fired for running your own business on the side though :lol:).

It ain't as easy as some of you seem to think it is.

Last edited:
OK. But you just said syndicated. Which they already are.

And you didn't really answer any of my questions. So where are they going?

Where did Big Boy just go? He left Power 106 for iHeart. Why? Because iHeart can syndicate him. If it's so easy, why couldn't he do it when he was at Power 106, as big as his show was in LA, as much as he had been doing TV etc.?

Why did Angie go from Hot97 to Power105? Because she picked up additional stations overnight. Why didn't that happen when she was at Hot?

Because it's not as easy as you all think. Look at the moves that people that do his every day are making. That will tell you what you need to know.

You really don't think they'll get the same guests on that same station and many more if they replace the Breakfast Club? On air jocks get replaced every day b.

For the most part, it's still business as usual the next day at that station. Not always for the jocks. Unless they make moves that increase, as opposed to decrease, their profile.

Star getting any major interviews right now?

You the same dude that set up a new username to spew nonsense a few pages back?

Last edited:
2 things....

As for the 2nd comment, something similar was said before, and I'm curious, where are they starting their own morning show? On what platform? Is it a podcast? Is it a youtube channel?

Is this something that can be monetized, when you take into account overhead (production costs) etc., the hosts salaries etc. to a level where they do as well if not better than they are now? Do they still get booked for appearances in other markets where the show plays if the show isn't there?

Are they buying that station? Independently? In a major market where guests will care about doing that morning show for that one station in that one city?

You think the hosts' relationships with the guests outweighs all of those guests wanting to be on 50 Clear Channel stations by being up there? I would say that has as much, if not more, to do with the guests they're able to book.

I'm asking sincerely. Because I don't see that at all. I don't think Kanye West goes up there if not for the platform that the show allows him BECAUSE of Clear Channel and the 50+ stations they put them on.

What i bolded is more of the point that i agree with Dame on... the average American can't legitimately push for what they aspire to be working a regular 40 hour a week job. Anybody who's GREAT in any field has to be a master of that craft and fully concentrate on working on it. If your working a job not related to your passion (Which i would say the majority of people do), it kind of negates the chances of you reaching full action on your aspirations.

As Far as the radio goes i don't know the specifics on how The Breakfast Club splits money, their salaries, how artist choose the shows etc etc...

I do know that they have built a very strong brand as the Breakfast Club and as singular brands. If they made a group decision to go to another platform i still believe that they would be able to monetize and promote themselves really well.

At this point they have years upon years of interviews done & recorded for public viewing, they have been making national appearances for years, MTV for years, Revolt everyday, have been in Major national markets... and have established specific brand of interview that people enjoy. If they left clear channel today all the exposure and interviews they've done over the years and their fanbase isnt just going to vanish suddenly.

Now Like i stated everyone may not want to take full boss responsibility or the risk, but if they ever had issues with the company or wanted FULL control of the show i'm not doubting that they could use their notoriety to create a pretty nice amount of money.

By all means, provide me with some perspective on employment vs. ownership Nikekidwonder.

I've been seeing you talk this nonsense for a while now about people you know who own businesses.

And when you put the numbers up, they pale in comparison to people I know that are gainfully employed. It's almost laughable.

You guys are looking at the broad concept of having a "job" vs. "owning" a business.

Which is idiotic.

Regardless of whether or not Dame is doing well for himself, you don't think there are people with "jobs" doing better than him that will inevitably pass down more to their children than he will?

Don't be ridiculous.

My point has been said a thousand times now , no need to repeat it . If you enjoy having a job and that's what you want to do long term then do it .

We don't share the same belief's and that is okay , everyone has their own perspective

Some people want to look for and be given opportunities (jobs) others want to create opportunities for themselves and others

I never had good experiences working at jobs which is one of the main reasons i got out of that game and went into self-employment , i remember how much **** i had to go through because of jobs and i have met other people that have had the same bad experiences. But clearly you enjoy your job and it is working out for you , so we don't share the same perspective and that is fine .

Last edited:

Which is idiotic.

Don't be ridiculous.

I've worked at companies. And I've run my own "business". I know people in the same boat who would love to go back to their own jobs (hard to do when you get fired for running your own business on the side though :lol:).

It ain't as easy as some of you seem to think it is.

Another thing that people seem to be forgetting is that Dame is talking from the perspective of someone who loves the freedom of doing what you want to do however you want whenever you want. That is a HUGE part of his argument.

Based off what Dame describes technically Jay aint a "boss" because he has employers (i would disagree with that), however nobody is going to say that Dame is in a better financial situation than Jay regardless of him being employed by someone else. Catch is Because other people invest in the Jay-Z brand he has to move very cautiously and politically correct on things. he cant just drop an album without consent, he cant make certain appearances or do certain things without having to involve other people in the process to approve it.

To some being in full control of whatever your passion is and not having to deal with people you dont like is worth more than the bigger salarry. On the other hand their are people who don't mind not being in control or would rather have someone else lead while they work. Neither way of thinking is really wrong it's a matter of preference.

Because they obviously dont want to be independent & rather get a check, tbc would be nothing without charlamagne so miss me with that "jocks get replaced everyday", star could easily work at a radio station if he wanted too but he rather be independent & give independent artist a platform to showcase their music

So first the "hosts made TBC great", now the show would be nothing without Charlamagne? You confused as hell son.

Charlamagne is also the reason they CAN'T get guests. When was the last time Drake was up? You can see in the Kanye interview, there was an issue between those 2.

Believe what you like about Star. I guess you're in his head about what he would rather do. Even though he's had multiple radio jobs and been fired from each.

Yea, he's on the sidelines by choice....

2 things....

What i bolded is more of the point that i agree with Dame on... the average American can't legitimately push for what they aspire to be working a regular 40 hour a week job. Anybody who's GREAT in any field has to be a master of that craft and fully concentrate on working on it. If your working a job not related to your passion (Which i would say the majority of people do), it kind of negates the chances of you reaching full action on your aspirations.

And I agree with you on some of that. But again, those are 2 different things.

First off, you're talking about "regular 40 hour a week job" like all jobs are the same. And they're not. TBC do what, a 4 hour show. A couple of hours of show prep. And enjoy what they do.

There are many people who enjoy what they do. Now granted, the majority may not. Now THAT is something you should work your *** off to change. But that's not really the conversation here.

"Owning" your own business if you already lack the drive to change your existing circumstances isn't the overnight remedy for that.

As you said, you need to master your craft. Most people do that....within the confines of a job. Then you can take that knowledge and do your own thing. TBC been on like 5 years. Who's to say they're ready to do their own thing? Dame?

Again, I agree with your point, but if TBC enjoy what they do, and are working a job that IS related to their passion, then that's not really the point here.

As for the 2nd part of what you said, yes, they have a brand. I just think it's far fetched to believe their brand would be as strong without the platform they have.

And I've given a few examples now with Big Boy and Angie as to why that's the case. They left already sucsessful gigs for a reason.

As I said Nikekidwonder, I've been employed, mastered my craft, and have started my own biz. And it's no joke. And it's not for everyone.

And if I were to talk about it, I would do so intelligently. Which Dame did not. And many others have not.

Last edited:
People don't just listen/watch the show for one person.

Don't be ridiculous.

Yes, maybe chicks listen for Yee. Yes, they tune in for the guests. And like I said, they couldn't get a lot of the guests they do without that platform. Could they get some, sure? Same level? Doubtful.

Everything has been laid out for you. If you choose to ignore it, I'm OK with that.

So first the "hosts made TBC great", now the show would be nothing without Charlamagne? You confused as hell son.

Charlamagne is also the reason they CAN'T get guests. When was the last time Drake was up? You can see in the Kanye interview, there was an issue between those 2.

Believe what you like about Star. I guess you're in his head about what he would rather do. Even though he's had multiple radio jobs and been fired from each.

Yea, he's on the sidelines by choice....
And I agree with you on some of that. But again, those are 2 different things.

First off, you're talking about "regular 40 hour a week job" like all jobs are the same. And they're not. TBC do what, a 4 hour show. A couple of hours of show prep. And enjoy what they do.

There are many people who enjoy what they do. Now granted, the majority may not. Now THAT is something you should work your *** off to change. But that's not really the conversation here.

"Owning" your own business if you already lack the drive to change your existing circumstances isn't the overnight remedy for that.

As you said, you need to master your craft. Most people do that....within the confines of a job. Then you can take that knowledge and do your own thing. TBC been on like 5 years. Who's to say they're ready to do their own thing? Dame?

Again, I agree with your point, but if TBC enjoy what they do, and are working a job that IS related to their passion, then that's not really the point here.

As for the 2nd part of what you said, yes, they have a brand. I just think it's far fetched to believe their brand would be as strong without the platform they have.

And I've given a few examples now with Big Boy and Angie as to why that's the case. They left already sucsessful gigs for a reason.

As I said Nikekidwonder, I've been employed, mastered my craft, and have started my own biz. And it's no joke. And it's not for everyone.

And if I were to talk about it, I would do so intelligently. Which Dame did not. And many others have not.

Okay if we agree that the Majority of people are unhappy(an OVERWHELMING majority) with their jobs, why is it such a bad deal to encourage someone to try and create a business of their own & build experience through trial and error with their own money, time, and future at risk.

Im not denying that a person can work at a job and still work on a side business, however the majority of people take that Job and immediately begin to become stagnant on their aspirations.

I already answered that.

It's not a bad idea to do that. If you discuss it intelligently.

If you want to motivate people to change their circumstances if they're unhappy, cool. All for it.

If you're clowning a dude making 6-7 figures a year in a job he enjoys, who goes to work in jeans and a fitted, because he has a "boss", you sound foolish.

I rock with Dame, but a lot of what he said, and how he said it, was all wrong.

And potentially sets a lot of people up for failure as much as it does for success. Which makes it as dangerous as it is positive.

You're having multiple conversations at once. Your last statement is about drive.

If you allow yourself to become "stagnant", that's on you. I would venture to say that starting your own business IS NOT your answer then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom