...Official BLACKBERRY Thread v.updated...

Originally Posted by lurkin2long

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Yeah, I think TMO will eventually get it, but obviously later than AT&T. They are getting that flip style Blackberry though, called the Kick Start. But that joint is so wack to me--clearly aimed at the younger, Sidekick rockin' crowd.
sick.gif

Thats the main reason I never liked tmobile I guess. Kiddie Carrier. Pay they bill at the lil tmo stand in the mall. They got some walk in spots these days ive seen, but most be them little stands with young dudes askin if you got a cell phone already
eyes.gif
. They coverage use to suck but I guess over the years they gotten better but they still slower than sprint, att, verizon........only + I can see is they are a lil cheaper but forget that. it aint worth it. I rather go with the largest telecommunications provider in the world for a cell phone call me bias.

Dang my dude just sh...ng all on my lil service provider. Tmobile gets the job done, i never have a problem with voice quality or coverage. Great costumerservice. I've been with TMO since they were originally Voicestream--9 years and never had a problem. When my phone stopped working there was no problem toget a replacement. Plus your forgetting TMO has the best phone plans. 39.99 for 1000 Mins + free nights and weekends-- think thats a promotion plan but stillthat plan >> any other service provider. Yeah the data network is inferior to others but thats mainly because big service provider giants own more Towers& marketshare. EDGE is good enough for me.. plus Opera Mini gives a great bump in speed, only takes 10-12 secs for a page to load

Originally Posted by BenFranklinAve

Yeah, I think TMO will eventually get it, but obviously later than AT&T. They are getting that flip style Blackberry though, called the Kick Start. But that joint is so wack to me--clearly aimed at the younger, Sidekick rockin' crowd.
sick.gif

Thats the main reason I never liked tmobile I guess. Kiddie Carrier. Pay they bill at the lil tmo stand in the mall. They got some walk in spots these days ive seen, but most be them little stands with young dudes askin if you got a cell phone already
eyes.gif
. They coverage use to suck but I guess over the years they gotten better but they still slower than sprint, att, verizon........only + I can see is they are a lil cheaper but forget that. it aint worth it. I rather go with the largest telecommunications provider in the world for a cell phone call me bias.

Dang my dude just sh...ng all on my lil service provider. Tmobile gets the job done, i never have a problem with voice quality or coverage. Great costumer service. I've been with TMO since they were originally Voicestream--9 years and never had a problem. When my phone stopped working there was no problem to get a replacement. Plus your forgetting TMO has the best phone plans. 39.99 for 1000 Mins + free nights and weekends-- think thats a promotion plan but still that plan >> any other service provider. Yeah the data network is inferior to others but thats mainly because big service provider giants own more Towers & marketshare. EDGE is good enough for me.. plus Opera Mini gives a great bump in speed, only takes 10-12 secs for a page to load
BFA they prolly better in ATL area where you at. I know they price plans is a lil bettter no denyin that. But example.........I know this chickTMO made it so her phone so she could only receive calls but she couldnt make calls. Her phone bill wasnt even due yet. They just always seemed to carry someBS up here even though they cheaper.

sick.gif

eyes.gif

Dang my dude just sh...ng all on my lil service provider. Tmobile gets the job done, i never have a problem with voice quality or coverage. Great costumer service. I've been with TMO since they were originally Voicestream--9 years and never had a problem. When my phone stopped working there was no problem to get a replacement. Plus your forgetting TMO has the best phone plans. 39.99 for 1000 Mins + free nights and weekends-- think thats a promotion plan but still that plan >> any other service provider. Yeah the data network is inferior to others but thats mainly because big service provider giants own more Towers & marketshare. EDGE is good enough for me.. plus Opera Mini gives a great bump in speed, only takes 10-12 secs for a page to load
BFA they prolly better in ATL area where you at. I know they price plans is a lil bettter no denyin that. But example.........I know this chick TMO made it so her phone so she could only receive calls but she couldnt make calls. Her phone bill wasnt even due yet. They just always seemed to carry some BS up here even though they cheaper.

That only happens when you don't pay your bill. You can only receive calls or texts, no outgoing.

Jive talk is a one time fee of 19.99 or 29.99. GO WITH THE 29.99. THat way if your blackberry messes up, you can transfer JIVETALK to your new blackberry. Ifyou pay the 19.99, you are only able to use jivetalk on that one black berry. ANY WORD ON HOW TO WATCH VIDEOS ON THE CURVE??

sick.gif

eyes.gif

BFA they prolly better in ATL area where you at. I know they price plans is a lil bettter no denyin that. But example.........I know this chick TMO made it so her phone so she could only receive calls but she couldnt make calls. Her phone bill wasnt even due yet. They just always seemed to carry some BS up here even though they cheaper.

i mean at the end of the day phone coverage is gonna vary by area...i actually have 2 iphones right now that i could sell b/c my fams got ATT when theydropped and hated the service but loved the phone...

TMO works for me. First off, they're the cheapest out there. I pay $39.99 for 1000 anytime minutes and unlimited nights & weekends. $5 for 400 textmessages. And when I had my Curve, $19.99 for unlimited data usage(email and web). You can't beat that. Period.

And as far as speed goes, I'm not a dude who needs blazing fast internet speeds. I don't sit around all day and surf the net on my phone. As long asthat joint works somewhat fast and is reliable, which it is, I'm good to go. Coverage works for me, too. I don't travel a whole lot, so as long as itworks where I'm at, I'm good.

I've been with them since Voicestream, and have never had any problems whatsoever. And don't forget their customer service is top notch. I can'ttell you how many times they've hooked me up for being a customer for so long.

As far as being a "kiddie carrier", who cares? I mean, personally I could give a %+#+ what the image is. As long as it works for me, I'mstraight. Some of you dudes get too wrapped up in what %+#+ looks like all the time. If you're spending time worrying about kids with Sidekicks and howthat makes you look, you're doing WAY too much.

that coulda been an Iphone issue, Mass coverage cant be too different from CT. i dunno, like i said im bias than a mutha..........

Originally Posted by djaward

Jive talk is a one time fee of 19.99 or 29.99. GO WITH THE 29.99. THat way if your blackberry messes up, you can transfer JIVETALK to your new blackberry. If you pay the 19.99, you are only able to use jivetalk on that one black berry. ANY WORD ON HOW TO WATCH VIDEOS ON THE CURVE??

ha, not true.

i had a chick buy the $20 version and i've had 4 different curves.

i emailed the people ar jivetalk and they gladly transfered my jivetalk to my new pin.
pimp.gif

that coulda been an Iphone issue, Mass coverage cant be too different from CT. i dunno, like i said im bias than a mutha..........

laugh.gif
yea you are...sound like TMO cut you off when you was on hold fora sweepstakes jackpot or something

idk- like i said they been good for me coverage and customer service wise...whatever works tho
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
Hey, at least you're up front about it. It'swhatever though--to each his own. TMO works for me. I also forgot to add the fact that I can rock with the unlocked joints(as you obviously can on AT&T),too. But for me, the deal breaker is the pricing. Personally, coverage with T-Mobile has never been an issue.

As soon as the 9000 touches T-Mo its copped.
I've been waitin for my contract to expire so I can upgrade for cheaper anyway.
I hope the 9000 has a decent introductory price, or I might have to cop from Amazon as usual.
I dont think the price will be that beast, cuz whos really gonna pay a $tack for a phone?
The JesusPhone wasnt even that much.

Im dubbin this phone the BlackBerry Wave, eff wut u say!

I still can't believe the thread everytime I see it. Since I graduated law school every job I've had has made me carry a blackberry. I hate thething....its like a chain to my desk. Yet you guys eat it up like its the best thing ever invented.

I thought I's take a minute to show you guys how far the blackberry has come...showing you pictures of the first one I ever had through the one that Icurrently have.....Blackberry OG's STAND UP!

When I first started working (this thing didn't have phone capability or anything...just work email):

041100a.jpg

Then they got me this when it came out (we all thought it was so wierd to have color):

1010616715.jpg

The I moved to another firm and they got me this one (and I used as my cell phone as well):

24_A.jpg

Then when this came out they got it for me (and I had this one up until about a week ago when I took a nre job):

BlackBerry_8800.jpg

And since I started my new job they got me this one (tahnkfully its much easier to type on than the one above):

41qgdcyk1fl_aa280_.jpg

laugh.gif
yea its alot different when your job provides the berry....then itmeans you have to be in contact ALL the time- but for personal use theres alot of features and thats the praise you see in this thread-

but you just reminded me...i HAD that 1st berry....
eek.gif
we used to abuse thatfeature where you could type something and it would call someone and read the message back right??!!
i think there were one or 2 models in between the ones you posted also...My pops had a cell phone spot so i was always first up on everything that dropped fromthe timeports to that RIM to the 1st big construction worker Nextel bricks
laugh.gif

they def came a long way

The official Niketalk Phone

BlackBerry 9000 Smartphone Review -Part III - OS4.6
Posted In: DeviceReviews | By: Kevin Michaluk| Date: 08 May 2008 |
speech-bubble.gif
28 comments

And I'm back with Part III of the web's first BlackBerry 9000Review. In this installment we will take a closer look at the BlackBerry 9000's version 4.6 operating system. If you haven't already, besure to check out Part I and Part II which provide an overview of the BlackBerry 9000along with my initial reactions and observations. Part II includes a Video Quick Tour of the 9000 and its operating system that is worth checking out.

Read on for Part III of the BlackBerry 9000 Review >>

[ Disclaimer: Changes to the Hardware and upgrades to the Software will likely be made before the BlackBerry 9000is officially released ]

BBOS Preamble

While legions of BlackBerry users are stuck waiting for operating system version 4.5 to become available for upgrade, along comerelease specs for the BlackBerry 9000 and 9100 touting they will be ship with OS4.6! Sooo not fair. But as you read this and look at all of the eyecandy screencaptures, keep in mind many/most of the new features in 4.6 are already coming your way when OS4.5 becomes available. OS4.6 just kicks it up a slight notch andmakes it pretty.

As for the new incremental features in OS4.6 that we haven't yet seen on OS4.5 previews, the big question is will these OS4.6incremental improvements make there way to existing Curve, 88xx and Pearl Users? And while I don't have an answer to this question, my hunch isthat RIM will always try and pack as much OS goodness into every current device model until they reach the limits of a device's hardware capabilities. Callme a BlackBerry fan boy, it's the truth! :smile:

OS4.6 at a Glance

The first thing you notice about the 9000's OS are its good looks. And I'm not just talking simple lipstick applied to thecurrent BlackBerry OS - it's more like she's come home from a trip to the spa with a manicure, pedicure, facial and wax wearing high heels and acocktail dress. SEXY!

Three factors contribute to the 9000's onscreen sex appeal:
  • the new Precision Themes
  • that AMAZING LCD Display
  • revamped Native Apps to match the new look
The unfortunate thing about this is that even if the Precision themes came to the Curve, Pearl and 8800 series, they wouldn't looknearly as good as they do on the 9000's 480 by 320 LCD.

Precision Themes & General Appearances

While I'm sure the 9000 will also ship with a carrier branded theme, the BlackBerry 9000 I'm playing with has three themesinstalled by default - the Precision L, Precision Today and Precision Zen.

A big departure from current theme designs, with the Precision themes when you set a new wallpaper it only changes it on the homescreen. When you click the BlackBerry button from the home screen to go to the application shortcut view, aka Ribbon, the background wallpaper remainsunchanged (in this case stays black). I've been looking for an option to change that background color but haven't it found it yet. I guess thisexplains why there is no Precision Icon theme in 4.6 like there is a Dimension Icon theme in currently available operating system versions.

OS4.6 Precision Themes Will Replace the Current Dimension Themes

The rollover effects on the home screen are a nice touch and are actually different from the rollover effects on the Icon view. If youwant to see these effects in action check out the BlackBerry 9000Quick Tour Video.

While not a visual change, OS4.6 packs a much-welcomed feature improvement to the ribbon - the ability to now delete applicationsdirectly in two clicks. That's a lot less scrolling and clicking than Options > Advanced Options > Applications > Hunt through the list forthe right app > Menu key > Delete. When it comes time to install and remove 3rd party themes from the device, you will also be saved from the tripinto the Applications menu. As long as a theme isn't active, you can delete it straight from the Options > Themes page. Solid changes, butit's almost too bad as the 9000's processor now FLIES through the typically slow task of "Building Application List".

One thing I noted missing from Options > Screen/Keyboard menu is the "Font Smoothing" option. I guessthere's no need as anti-aliased fonts are used everywhere on 4.6 which give the 9000's GUI an ultra-clean look.

OS4.6 Allows You to Delete Applications from the Application Ribbon

The other major visual improvement to 4.6 is the treatment of layers, and more specifically, the use of transparency within thePrecision themes. Open your email, and hit the menu key - as you scroll through options on the pop-up menu, you can still see through to the images behind.These transparent windows are even at work on home screen and icon screen, if for example you pull up Profiles or Connections (note the 2G/3G/2G&3Gselection under Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options).

OS4.6 Precision Themes Will Replace the Current Dimension Themes

Throw in some revamped notification icons at the top, including a new one for 3G (sweet!!) and you now have the foundation of OS4.6 onthe BlackBerry 9000.

OS 4.6.1 NATIVE APPLICATIONS

Before we get to it, I need to provide a disclaimer here. The BlackBerry 9000 I am using for this review is running OS version4.6.0.22 (67). I honestly have no idea how close or far this particular version is from what will ultimately ship on the BlackBerry 9000 when released. Basedon a two days of use, I think this version *should* be close to the final version, but is not quite there just yet. I've encountered a few bugs(nothing too major and I'll make note of them as they pop up), but more critical and of interest to readers is that the web browser on this version of 4.6doesn't do the nifty rendering job that was promised in the BlackBerryDevice Software v4.6 Incremental Features Document that recently surfaced. I take as a sure sign of more refinements to come before the 9000 avecOS4.1 hits consumer hands.

Disclaimer: Version 4.6 Software Will Likely Be Updated Before 9000 Release

The Precision themes found on 4.6 pretty up (if you haven't caught on yet, "pretty" is my favorite word in this wholeReview Series) the Native apps and one of them is completely new, so lets take a look at the new look! I won't cover everysingle app/screenshot here, but don't worry, I'll do up a longer video to accompany Part IV for the CrackBerry geeks among us that want to seeeverything (no complaining to me if the next video is a bit long and boring...you asked for it!).

Communication Apps

Email Application

OS4.6 on the 9000 vs. OS4.2.2 on the 8320

The big thing here is the looks! As I snap these screenshots off the 9000, I have my 8320 Curve also in hand (running OS 4.2.2) and amcrosschecking to see if there's any new/different menu options that I may have not noticed at first glance. And every time I switch back to the Curve, itbecomes a little less enjoyable for me. As much as I LOVE the Curve (and am EXTREMELY happy for all those CDMA customers who are finally getting their hands onone), I just can't help but fall in love for the 9000's slightly bigger, brighter and higher res display. Hopefully the new version of the PlazmicTheme Builder will be released soon, as that will go a long way in dressing up all of the existing devices on the market, as we've seen illustrated by someof the recent themes to hit the net, such as the short-lived Crossbar theme and ourown CrackBerry.com User & Abuser themes (if youhaven't checked these out yet you should - they're FREE and they rock!).

BlackBerry Messenger

Member of Facebook? Check out the BlackBerry PIN Exchange!

I *think* BlackBerry Messenger picked up a new feature - inline spell checking. As you're typing out your messages, anythingspelled incorrectly gets underlined. If you do make a mistake you can either go back and correct it (the fastest way) of if you're not sure you can clickthe menu key when on the underlined word and access suggestions. If not new, it's just something I've never noticed or turned on before and it appearsin 4.6 by default. Heck, the BBOS is so loaded with shortcuts and tricks I'm still discovering new things in OS4.2.2, never mind 4.6.

It's also much easier to add contacts via PIN within 4.6. This functionality will be included in OS4.5, but since we're stillwaiting on that it's worth pointing out. Unlike the current OS where you need to Add a Contact… > Use Once > menu click > Request by PIN,in 4.6 you simply click Add a Contact and can type in a PIN/email address or address book name directly.

Phone App

The Phone Application Gets the Precision Theme Treatments

Not much new within the phone app other than the classy Precision theme stylings. But since we're talking Phone here, it'sworth pointing out again that the 9000's call quality is superb and the speakerphone is MUCH IMPROVED.

Bluetooth

OS4.6 Shows Some Bluetooth Love

The Add Bluetooth utility has undergone some revisions, most notably the ability to now Listen for a device vs. just Searching for one. When connected to aBluetooth headset and a call is inbound, you can also choose how to direct the call - a great feature I could have personally used many times in the past(there have been soo many times when I have answer a call forgetting I was paired and connected to a headset).

Media Apps

There's no doubt the BlackBerry 9000 is the most media-friendly BlackBerry to date. The media apps have all received a slight 4.6 facelift, so let'stake a quick visual walk about. Again, be sure to check out the BlackBerry 9000 Video Overview to see the Music and Movie Player in action.

Music Player

There's Always Room for Improvement

After having used 3rd party music player apps like FlipSide and now MiuTunes, the BlackBerry music player still leaves a little something to be desired. The veryvisual nature of these 3rd party players would do well with the 9000's display, but I guess havinng iPhone-like cover flow on the native music playerisn't happening just yet. In addition to the newish look, improvements include skip/previous buttons, automatic playlist creation, an exclude foldersoption, and headset equalizer settings (most of these coming in 4.5).

Camera & Pictures Library

Eyecandy of the Camera App!

The camera runs very smoothly on the 9000. The flash is still blindingly bright and picture quality is ok. Max resolution is still at 1600 by 1200 pixels.It would be nice to see RIM up the camera to 3.2 mega pixels - I'm pretty sure the 9000's hardware could support it and then some. As for the cameraapp itself, the only thing that caught my eye here was the option for Geotagging photos. Very cool. I know a lot of CrackBerry users out there were hoping foran option to turn off the picture taking / shutter sound, but no dice. However, the photo taking sound is at least slightly quieter on the 9000 whencompared to my 8320 and 8300.

A Quick Look at the Pictures Library

Within the Pictures Library, users can now view all pictures stored on both the device's internal and external memory right from the main PictureLibrary screen. I'm not sure this feature was working quite right for me though as I wasn't getting the same list of files on the main screen asdepicted in the OS4.6 final specs document. When viewing theproperties of an image, you can easily tell if it has been geotagged.

Video Camera & Movies

The most interesting thing to report about the Video Recorder on OS4.6 is that there is NO application shortcut on the ribbon for it! I can't quitedecide if this just an oversight for now and a shortcut will be in place for it come final release or if this has been done to simplify things, since in ourmodern day world of digital cameras, the video recording aspect is almost assumed. Likewise, Video Camera is not an option on the Convenience Key settingslist. Personally I'd prefer to see a dedicated shortcut, as right now four clicks are required to begin recording: Open Camera > Menu > VideoCamera > Record. I'm also finding it easy for myself to get confused - am I in the Camera or the Video Camera?!

Video Camera and Video Player Eyecandy!

While typing this I realized I actually made a mistake in my VideoQuick Tour - when flipping between the camera and video recording I said you can record video in full screen mode. That's actually not thecase - for snapping photos and video playback you can take advantage of full screen view, but video recording still takes place within the smaller window. Mybad. But in retrospect I'll blame the lack of a dedicated shortcut!

The video player itself seems very smooth, even when viewing large movies. With my current device, things often get a bit "glitchy" if I try andscroll to specific points in a long movie. The increased horsepower in the 9000 seems to take care of that. And though I've already made mention of it fivetimes, I'll say it again - between the 9000's LCD and superb speakers, watching videos on a BlackBerry is a much-improved experience.

Ringtones & Voicenotes - These are two other apps that fall into the Media Folder on the BlackBerry. Nothing big to report on here, solet's move on to the two apps that receive the biggest makeover in OS4.6

Handy Applications

Clock

It looks like the biggest app to receive a change in OS4.6 is the native Alarm application, which has now been re-branded to CLOCK! The app is no longer asimple alarm, nor is it only a clock. The new app is now an Alarm, Clock, Stopwatch, Timer and Bedside Companion in One!

When you click into the Clock app, you are greeted by a full screen clock which can be set in any of three styles: Analog, Digital and my favorite, FlipClock. You also have the option to set the Clock to automatically display whenever the 9000 is plugged in for charging, a nice touch for those of us who havetheir BlackBerrys on their computer desk during the day...the BlackBerry now serves double duty.

There is also an option on the main Clock menu to toggle your BlackBerry between Bedside Mode On and Bedside Mode Off. Within the Bedside mode options youhave the ability to Disable the LED and Radio. RIM must have finally realized that nearly everyone (at least all the BB addicts I know) sleep with theirBlackBerry at side and have responded!! The app is smart too - if you have Bedside mode turned on and go to exit the app, it will prompt you to disable Bedsidemode.

The Alarm app itself is still the same old application - a single alarm that can be set to On / Off or Weekdays. It's basic and gets the job done, butis a little too basic for my liking, especially since I've been using BBSmart's new Alarms Pro! application which is featurepacked and I absolutely love.

The Stop Watch is just your basic Start /Stop / Reset, but it looks cool and my favorite - it allows you to Forward Results on to a contact via Email,BlackBerry Messenger, MMS, PIN or SMS. I have a feeling this could easily turn into the next BrickBreaker-like phenomena in the corporate world - colleagueswill be PINing eachother back and forth all day long with all sorts of useless task times: fastest to get to work, run to Starbucks, go to the bathroom, getthe A1L645 forms filed, etc. etc. etc. Just watch - it'll turn into a competitive thing.

The Timer is a simple countdown app (you set the time!) but it's extremely helpful. I'll never over boil my eggs again!!

Calculator

The other Handy App in OS4.6 to get a Extreme Home Makeover is the Calculator. It's still the same old basic calculator underneath, butit has a hot new look!

Next Up

There's still lots left to talk about in OS4.6! Coming in Part IV will be a lonnnng video walk through and we'll check out the items I haven'ttouched on yet: web browser (remember, I don't think the OS I'm running has the final release browser on it - so I'm not in a rush to show it off),other native apps including Slideshow and Word To Go, utilities like the built-in Memory Cleaner and we'll also check out some 3rd party apps to see howthey look/work on OS4.6. Keep it locked to CrackBerry.com!

i just made a ringtone through itunes using the tutorial from the start of this thread.

but i'm having troubles with bluetooth . . i can pair it with my macbook . . but i can't 'connect' . . so i can't send the ringtone i justmade to my phone.

can anyone help me out?

i'm using a 8320 on t-mobile if that matters . .

Originally Posted by ireminisce

i just made a ringtone through itunes using the tutorial from the start of this thread.

but i'm having troubles with bluetooth . . i can pair it with my macbook . . but i can't 'connect' . . so i can't send the ringtone i just made to my phone.

can anyone help me out?

your sig
pimp.gif

but back to your question; if you dont have a mini SD installed, forget about it.

but i'm having troubles with bluetooth . . i can pair it with my macbook . . but i can't 'connect' . . so i can't send the ringtone i just made to my phone.

can anyone help me out?

save your self a headache and go to Mxyertones.com, search for your song, type your phone number in, then it would send a link via text message. Open thelink and there you go. steps are easy.
pimp.gif

So Sprint finally got the Curve and my contract is up at the end of June. I'm feelin' it cuz it doesn't look as hardcore/business as the 8830, IDKI dont want a regular phone anymore.
tongue.gif
are there any big probs w/the Curve? I saw some youtube reviews and they were all positive..

can anyone help me out?

Damn its been a hot min since i been in the thread..i see the BB has grown...yea if you dont have a micro SD card you can forget about it. The only way youcan do it with a mac is by using it as a hard drive..if you want a cheap micro sd card hit up meritline.com you can cop for like 7 bucks shipped..I macringtones on the daily..if yall need holla

Back
Top Bottom