Official BBQ thread

appreciate it

I got you thanks for the heads up

My neighbors ran a fire pit and it burned down our shared fence. I had my egg in a nest and the wooden sides burned down. I also read horror stories about people's homes burning down because of over night cooks.

20180606_070142.jpg

20180606_171518.jpg
p

We have a Kamado Joe in a wooden table so good to know. Temp got away from me once and shot to 700 when I wanted to sear some steaks. Thing took FOREVER to cool down.

I never planned to leave the grill unattended for an overnight cook. House burned down when I was a kid (electrical fire) so I don't take any chances when fire is involved.

We have a Kamado Joe in a wooden table so good to know. Temp got away from me once and shot to 700 when I wanted to sear some steaks. Thing took FOREVER to cool down.

I never planned to leave the grill unattended for an overnight cook. House burned down when I was a kid (electrical fire) so I don't take any chances when fire is involved.

Waking up to a fire scared me straight on never leaving a cook unattended and not using a wood table. I urge anyone that had a Kamado style grill to get a metal table or use a nest without the wooden tables.

kingkoopa kingkoopa

Stay away from Lighter Fluid.

Stay away from Charcoals that have lighter fluid on them ("Match Light" Style)

Use this to light your coals.

Ball up 2 sheets of NewsPaper and place them underneath the bottom ; place coals in chimney; Light paper; let the coals get hot. (Probably takes like 15-20 mins)

Kingsford Kingsford Heavy Duty Deluxe Charcoal Chimney Starter BBQ Chimney Starter for Charcoal Grill and Barbecues, Compact Easy to Use Chimney Starters and BBQ Grill Tools in the Charcoal & Accessories department at Lowes.com https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kingsford-...dpTv4_EsGUqgkh0A8fEaAgBuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You don’t need newspaper. Grab yourself some fire starters.

Lint from the dryer is also a great chimney starter :lol:

:lol: I need to try that.

You don’t need newspaper. Grab yourself some fire starters.

Yea, I used the wax cubs FIRST but then I saw my neighbor throwing away newspaper all the time so I just starting using that. (Free)

Honestly, the first thing you need to understand is how FIre works.

Remember, the more oxygen that gets to the flame the hotter the temperature.

I would also suggest getting a Digital thermometer. (At SOME point)

The best thing to practice with is Bone-In; Skin On; Chicken Thighs. Hard to mess up.

Start out on the direct side (Top OFF), get the amount of char you want on both side, then you move to the indirect side to cook. (Cover on, Oven)

If you want to add wood chips, you would do it AFTER charring the chicken and you keep your TOp Vents open 1/8th of the way.

I know, a lot of info but you will get better man.

Last edited:
Besides Chunks and Wood Chips. Pellet tubes and boxes are pretty useful tool as well

I need to chill out.

Let me get this heating **** under control.
There’s a lot to learn but once you get the idea it’s pretty easy IMO. It’s also easy to learn from your mistakes you can usually tell what you did wrong

You just gotta get the methods down and use those methods across different recipes

Back
Top Bottom