Official BBQ thread

There's a place locally that does big catering bags of "restaurant charcoal" - decent quality lump wood.

The only problem with it is the huge variation in size and burn rate. I've been using briquettes recently and really enjoying the consistency.

East Coast folks; WHat do you do once the weather changes?

I was struggling today to keep my fire going in the CHIMNEY. It was like 67.

East Coast folks; WHat do you do once the weather changes?

I was struggling today to keep my fire going in the CHIMNEY. It was like 67.

I'll be honest I use the side burner on my gas grill to get the charcoal going in the chimney.

Was it windy? Might need to try to deflect the wind somehow?

Was wind a factor?

In colder weather your gona need more fire to maintain heat, i usually use a blow torch to light my charcoal in the winter or whenever im too lazy to use a chimney.

The torch gets more charcoal lit at once wich catches everything quicker.

I noticed your usin what looks like kingsford, look into lump charcoal, it burns hotter but slower since its either oak or mesquite.

And in the end, you use less charcoal, and whenever your done wit that burning charcoal, once it goes out you can use ot again unlike regular charcoal.

Last edited:
You dont notice a flavor difference really, but then again ive been using this for years so maybe im usedto it, just the grilling process is something you might have to get used to since it burns hot(figure out your zone) and longer(how much charcoal to use)

I use this texas grocery store brand (heb) it works bad *** and its on sale right now too. 20lb for 12 bucks is good.
https://www.heb.com/product-detail/central-market-mesquite-lump-charcoal/986124

but ive been interested in ordering this from the mid.

http://rockwoodcharcoal.com

From my experience, lump charcoal lights quicker no matter what the weather is, and last longer and is re usable so that alone is good enough for me.

Last edited:
Kingsford Competition/Professional Charcoal. I also use Royal Oak Lump Charcoal. Anyone else use a Briquette holder? The Weber holder is my favorite.

Gonna throw some chicken thighs on the grill tomorrow along with a nice sized sirloin steak.

You folks marinate the chicken for a few hours before grilling or do it right before putting it on the the grill ?

If im smoking whole chicken ill brine em since the breast can dry out but thighs are hard to mess up i love grillin those. Just rub em down and towards the end baste em wit butter just a lil bit over direct to get the skin crispy if its not already.

If im smoking whole chicken ill brine em since the breast can dry out but thighs are hard to mess up i love grillin those. Just rub em down and towards the end baste em wit butter just a lil bit over direct to get the skin crispy if its not already.
you ever do beer can chicken? Thinking about making a couple for enchiladas.

Yeah ive done plenty, my new trick is to get a Malt liquor beer.

Drink a lil bit and then cut the top part off, throw some diced pineapples, diced canned peaches, and if you want, tangerines.

Report back manana and let me know how it goes for you :lol:

Last edited:
Nice . :pimp:

Gonna throw some chicken thighs and a sirloin on the grill in a few .

Last edited:
I got a gas grill at home, one of these days I'm gonna get a charcoal one and a smoker. You guys got me all inspired in here

Spent this afternoon seasoning my new smoker.

Seemed a waste having that fire going and nothing on it. My wife's out with friends so I just threw a little steak on.

View media item 2192058

Gonna throw some chicken thighs on the grill tomorrow along with a nice sized sirloin steak.

You folks marinate the chicken for a few hours before grilling or do it right before putting it on the the grill ?
One day ahead

One thing I HATE to see.

People that put foil on the grill grates. Like come on man

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom