Official Air Max 97 Thread

Y'all may be talking about two different generations of hype lol. Things have certainly changed a lot in the world since we were younger. About the only thing that touched our feet were Nikes for the most part. Sure, I had a Adidas and few other brand shoes (Diadora, Airwalks, Vision Streetwear, Fila, Ellesse, Reebok etc) but it was literally 90%+ Nike. Hell, I probably one of the few kids that had 15+ pairs of shoes throughout the school year in middle school between Jordan's, Cortezes, Air Maxes, Flight 89s etc. How the buzz is generated may be different, but ... Nike has been king of the hill for a while and way before anyone knew what a smart phone, Twitter, Instagram or Facebook was. We had commercials with Mars Blackmon, "Bo Knows," Agassi etc. lol. Hell, I remember having to open a phone book and call Athlete's Foot trying to track Black Cement 3s and 4s. Other times, I had to beg my parents to drive me around town to see what they had in store.
Right, that's what I'm saying. Times have changed, for sure, but not bc undftd somehow created the hype for Nike. That was there way before them. He even said Concords created the hype smh. They'd already moved from Thursday midnight releases to Saturday morning releases at that point bc the midnight crowds were too big. Metallic 5s will always be my favorite sneaker bc my mom went to the midnight release so I could have them for my bday the next day. I was 12 and the only kid in school with them on Friday. 3 of my classes were interrupted by people coming in my class to check them out. Teachers didn't even trip bc they got it. I has the new J's! Hell they checked them out too. Back then you didn't know what they looked like until you saw them. You got in line to buy something at midnight without knowing what it looked like. Concords were literally a decade in on the hype.

The game has changed but that's a product of the internet making reselling an easy come up and social media creating hypebeasts for likes. Undftd didn't create the internet so giving them credit for the current state of the sneaker game is foolish.

Nike's hype machine goes all the way back to the Bo Jackson "Bo Knows days and Jordan commercials days. They've never needed nicknames to "sell to is. Not sure when Undftd was created but N
No offense, but how old are you? There was lines at midnight on Thursday night's I'm the 80s. My mom would go to the midnight release every year the week of the All Star Game to cop the new J's so I'd be the only kid in school with them on Friday. This was 88-90. Saying there was no hype is silly.

And no nicknames? You ever heard of Air Jordan? Bo? Neon Deion?

I have respect for Undftd but you're giving them waaaaaay too much credit. They came around in 2002. Nike was king for 15+ years by that point solely bc of their marketing.

100% correct

i think the dude was referring to hype in a streetwear sense and not mainstream sense

i cringe when i say it bc i agree with you guys but maybe he meant influence on "the culture"

i think the dude was referring to hype in a streetwear sense and not mainstream sense

i cringe when i say it bc i agree with you guys but maybe he meant influence on "the culture"

My point. I was born in 1980 so I totally agree with you dblplay1212 dblplay1212 on Nike being king.

I’m speaking strictly on the current state of sneaker “culture”.

Not us diversified group of old men...but the trendy consumers. That’s where I’m giving undefeated it’s credit because BO KNOWS and lil penny’s doesn’t resonate with them.

A 3 day campout for 97s does.

Reactions: PJS
My point. I was born in 1980 so I totally agree with you dblplay1212 dblplay1212 on Nike being king.

I’m speaking strictly on the current state of sneaker “culture”.

Not us diversified group of old men...but the trendy consumers. That’s where I’m giving undefeated it’s credit because BO KNOWS and lil penny’s doesn’t resonate with them.

A 3 day campout for 97s does.
You're basically saying white hipsters don't wear basketball shoes and runner collabs help get those guys into sneakers. I'll give you that.

We built Undftd, Supreme, etc.

We are the reason they blew up.

now the new generation love it cuz we made it hot
Amen...those brands got hot in the 90s and early 2000s first. **** WuTang really kicked Supreme to the next plateu

We built Undftd, Supreme, etc.

We are the reason they blew up.

now the new generation love it cuz we made it hot

I'm not negating that. I'm just saying UNDFTD helped fuel Los Angeles sneaker buying into what it is now.

ABs sitting big time on EU and not even had a NDC release. I think a lot of people getting sick of 97s over here, will have one last mad rush on the black neons from everyone I think then some calm before Christmas

In other news

End sending out emails

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 1.26.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 1.26.47 AM.png

2nd raffle won! but feeling like I bought a L :emoji_disappointed_relieved::emoji_left_facing_fist:
Yea I felt the same way but after standing in line for 3 months and not getting my pair , I'm happy I won this raffle because resale is around $300+ for the blacks.

Back
Top Bottom