Official 49ers Offseason Thread: Time to re-evaluate the draft...

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

I know Rachal is more sensible, but DeSean would have been the more fan friendly pick.

i agree but with so many wr still available it makes sense. maybe they could trade back in the 2nd and draft djax, sweed, kelly or groves. If not the 3rdthey might go with caldwell

Before taking Desean Jackson, I'd like to see what Jason Hill has to bring to the table. We needed a nose tackle and we needed an offensive lineman andthat's what we got. I would consider trading up to get Malcom Kelly because he's not as one dementional as Jackson.

Im a bit surprised they didnt go with Groves right there, now that I think about it. A guy like Carl Nicks might still be there in the third...I can understandon DeSean, being that they can go after The Hawk, Eddie Royal, etc in the 3rd and 4th.

Originally Posted by Dr 715

Before taking Desean Jackson, I'd like to see what Jason Hill has to bring to the table. We needed a nose tackle and we needed an offensive lineman and that's what we got. I would consider trading up to get Malcom Kelly because he's not as one dementional as Jackson.

Exactly what i was thinking

I don't know if you guys have ESPN Insider but I figure I'd share some info...

29. San Francisco 49ers
The pick: Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
What he brings: There are concerns that Balmer is a one-year wonder, and he's a developmental prospect who needs to learn to play with better leverage. Still, he has good size and the frame to get even bigger. He's also athletic for his size so if he bulks up and learns to play with better leverage he should develop into an excellent nose tackle.
How he fits: We think this a great pick based on the 49ers' inability to stop the run. Balmer should strengthen the interior of the defense as a nose tackle and will be an upgrade over Aubrayo Franklin. Balmer has the quickest and most explosive hands in the draft. The key for him will be his ability to learn the proper technique while maintaining his pad level and learning to play in a 3-4 system. He can contribute immediately as a first and second-down player, but doesn't have the ability to help as a pass-rusher.

Nothing in depth about Rachals yet, but I found this:

Intelligence
Must be tactical. Needs to study film, learn tendencies and transfer knowledge to the field. Understand blocking angles and how to use technique in order to overcome physical deficiencies. Be able to pick new assignments up quickly. Versatility can add to value -- be able to fill in at multiple positions along the line.

Best offensive tackle
: Jake Long, Michigan
Best guard: Chilo Rachal, USC
Best in center class: Steven Justice Wake Forest
39. San Francisco 49ers
The pick: Chilo Rachal, G, USC
What he brings: The biggest knock on Rachal is his lack of athletic ability and has problems redirecting in pass protection. He struggles, at times, to reach blockers in the second level and athletically he has some limitations. However, he's quick off the ball, jars defenders with a strong punch and gets in position quickly. He also does a good job holding his ground against bull-rushers.
How he fits: It's obvious the 49ers feel they need to upgrade at guard with the loss of Larry Allen in the offseason. Rachal is a mauler who needs to be in a confined area due to his athletic limitations. However, he has the size and initial quickness to wall off and position while creating inside lanes. He should be able to come in and compete with David Baas at right guard.

i wouldn't mind gettin Groves either.
And now that DeSean's gone, hopefully Hawk in rd4
pimp.gif

edit-nvm, Groves got picked.
grin.gif

Although all the WR's were there when the 49ers picked I think we made the right choice. We need to protect our QB be it Smith or Hill, and with BY retireda DT made tons of sense...

Now round 3 we can go for a WR/DB ?

Why did we draft another Cornerback?? Dont you guys think we would need either another safety or WR before another CB??? Oh well, i guess they are confident inIssac and Bryant enough

Reggie Smith will play safety.

And I'm telling you no 5th rounder is whackkkk. We could probably get a productive WR in the 5th, but whatevs.

Although it isn't sexy, 49ers understand they need pieces to protect the QB first, albeit smith or hill.

For some reason I'm still hoping for Boldin to come to the 49ers.........

time to draft a OT with the 6th round pick and the 7th round pick too
pimp.gif

reggie smith is going to play CB not safety

I like the Reggie Smith pick but it would be hard to think we wont get a WR before this day ends.

Back
Top Bottom