Official 49ers Offseason Thread: Time to re-evaluate the draft...

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

Why did we draft another Cornerback?? Dont you guys think we would need either another safety or WR before another CB??? Oh well, i guess they are confident in Issac and Bryant enough

CBs can just migrate to Safety, no biggie.
unless you're mike rumph or jason webster, that is-- then no secondary position works in your favor..
roll.gif

haven't been writing in thie thread 'cause of NBA playoffs and school, but it looks like a solid draft by the 49ers. needs were addressed. the WRs thisyear will be able to do a serviceable job, i expect-- buying us another year to see what the draft will bring in '09. i think someone mentioned itpreviously, but this year there was no *real* clear-cut stand-out WR. probably just Thomas from Mich State in terms of athletic ability.

oh well. we'll see how the year progresses (or regresses..
laugh.gif
)

hopefully morgan turns out to be decent, and hill gets better as well. while we still don't have a great WR corps, it's still much better than lastyear's and should be very serviceable. no more Butterfinger Jackson drops
smokin.gif

i don't agree with picking a CB either...

Smith seems like a smart pick depth wise, especially if they think Walt Harris doesn't have much left...but I was a little peeved at the fact that theypassed on the Hawk (steal in the 4th btw).

I'm liking the Balmer pick even more today, and Rachal really was the right pick at that point. I had all my Tiger Woods-esque victory gifs ready hoping wewere gonna get DeSean
laugh.gif
Really though, we might as well stack the OL as much as possible with Frank Gore in the backfield.

Originally Posted by Burn916

Smith seems like a smart pick depth wise, especially if they think Walt Harris doesn't have much left...but I was a little peeved at the fact that they passed on the Hawk (steal in the 4th btw).

I'm liking the Balmer pick even more today, and Rachal really was the right pick at that point. I had all my Tiger Woods-esque victory gifs ready hoping we were gonna get DeSean
laugh.gif
Really though, we might as well stack the OL as much as possible with Frank Gore in the backfield.
yea i was mad the niners didn't take either jack or hawk
mad.gif
tired.gif
frown.gif
, when both were on the board. i know some of u guys don't like the raidersbut they had a shot at him too but took another WR, and Hawk was chosen with the next pick to the Titans.

Why???^^^^^ Dixon is overrated and will probably play WR or something, Colt just got EXPOSED the last 2 games and is a system QB......They would have alot oftrouble with Martz`s Scheme

yeah, it's more of a bias/homer picks.
whenever i had a chance to watch both of them play, i'd watch and be like 'wow, they're good'
laugh.gif
. But yeah, you're right Colt did getexposed when it counted. As for dixon, i felt sorry for him when i read the article on yahoo
frown.gif

I wouldn't say Colt got exposed...more that his OL was completely outclassed. Martz really liked him at the Senior Bowl, too. It's not we have aproblem drafting "system" QBs either
eyes.gif

Larry Grant CCSF guy decent pick up right there

Originally Posted by Burn916

It's like not we have a problem drafting "system" QBs either
eyes.gif

roll.gif

true that.

i don't know if this has been brought up yet, but do you all think Smith can hang with the quick read/quick release system that Martz is gonna implement?

(assuming that the O-line will hold up just enough, and the WRs, Gore, Davis will be reliable threats.)

Maybe...he gets one more chance...he's definitely capable but he's gotta not have the footballs slipping out of his hands awkwardly and all that otherstuff.

and he's gotta show that he can play when the pressure is on. There's be so many times where he'd be careless with the ball if the rush was on orthe blitz was coming. He's gotta learn to stay in there and take the hit instead of shying away.

i wouldve been happy with just desean and dennis dixon. im a sucker for pac10 standouts. i'll probably fall in love with larry grant without actually everwatching him play, only because he went to CCSF

Originally Posted by Andrew630

i wouldve been happy with just desean and dennis dixon. im a sucker for pac10 standouts. i'll probably fall in love with larry grant without actually ever watching him play, only because he went to CCSF

You're saying Jackson and Dixon would help us more than picking D-Linemen and O-Linemen?

And if all our picks went to CCSF, this wouldn't be a "crappy" draft?

We should give D.J. Hall an invitation to camp or something, dude was good in college, anyone know what the problem was with him?

I dunno. Also, Grice-Mullen from Hawaii didn't get drafted....he's worth a training camp invite as well.

laugh.gif
@ people saying it was a "crappy" draft, we got some players that are able to contribute now to the team.

I'm sure everyone remembers the heartaches we had because our o-line couldn't block. We needed big bodies, the 49ers got big bodies.

Originally Posted by Dr 715

Originally Posted by Andrew630

i wouldve been happy with just desean and dennis dixon. im a sucker for pac10 standouts. i'll probably fall in love with larry grant without actually ever watching him play, only because he went to CCSF

You're saying Jackson and Dixon would help us more than picking D-Linemen and O-Linemen?

And if all our picks went to CCSF, this wouldn't be a "crappy" draft?

no, im just saying i like the fact we can have bay area natives on our team, its not like they'll get any better or anything. but its just cool.

so it looks like mike nolan wants reggie smith to start alongside clements

what did they do?? Pick 2 guys that both had the same Initial of their first and last name and invite them to camp?? Naaa just joking
smile.gif

We`ll see how this works out

laugh.gif
at offbad correcting my typo with a typo...that's a good question...Smith is a smart guy, and I really do think he has the skills. I just don'tknow if he has "it."

I forgot Larry Grant went to Foothill (sac) for a bit...he's friends with a couple of my cousins who went there...He should be able to make an impact onspecial teams this season. They'll still probably try to sign Spikes.

I give this draft a B. They didn't really excite us too much, but they filled a lot of important holes.

Glad we picked up Cameron Colvin. Bay Area guy. I think he was a top WR coming out of De La Salle.

Hope we go after Grice-Mullen or Bess out of HI, too.

Back
Top Bottom