Official 2023 San Francisco Giants Off-Season Thread - Jung Hoo Lee signs with SF 6-years $113 Million

The injury-plagued San Francisco Giants have had “preliminary talks” with the Milwaukee Brewers about a deal for outfielder Ryan Braun, but no trade is imminent, tweets Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

The Giants are believed to be looking for outfield help to replace Hunter Pence, who is expected to be sidelined several months with a hamstring injury.

The Brewers are in rebuilding mode, but any deal involving Braun would require the clubs to clear some significant financial hurdles. The 2011 National League Most Valuable Player is making $20 million this season and a combined $76 million over the next four years.

After a sub-par season in 2015, Braun has restored his market value by hitting .316/.378/.541 with 11 homers in his first 52 games this season.

Earlier Monday, ESPN’s Jim Bowden mentioned the Giants as a prime suitor for Braun. “Don't be surprised if the Giants land Braun at the trade deadline in a blockbuster deal that would be centered on top prospects Tyler Beede and Christian Arroyo. Of course, the Brewers would have to agree to eat significant dollars in the deal that could bring another World Series to San Francisco and two impactful building blocks for the Brewers,” Bowden writes.

Idk how to feel about that. Braun is a big name who's having a better year than last year, and he's a former MVP. But everytime I think of Ryan Braun I think of the guy who failed his PED test after winning the MVP, who then got off the hook due to technicality and instead of owning up to it claimed innocence.

While Braun would be nice, I think its too risky. We'd be paying about $20M/year for his age 33-36 years. He's had alot of injuries. We'd have to give our best prospects, who could have an impact as soon as next year. And he has the steroid cloud over his head.

As far as Duvall, glad to see he's getting consistent playing time. That just wasn't going to happen here, and he didn't force the issue (i.e. Duffy replacing McGehee last year). Definitely helps playing in Great American Small Park and in the NL Central.

^I'd stay away from Braun as well.

Why don't we actually call up one of these pitching prospects and use them? Unless they are truly are buns and Sabean is just using them as fool's gold trade chips.

Yea, Duvall seems like he could just end up being another Adam Dunn.

Yall little pansys with this Braun thing.. Braun is a stud with or without steroids.. i want a championship this year and with an outfielder of span/pagan/Blanco/Mac that just won't cut it .. we haven't had a big name through trade since Beltran

^

Tyler Beede and Kyle Crick are both 23 and still in Double-A.

Cain/Lincecum/MadBum didn't spend that much time in the minors so guess that should be a sign those 2 above aren't that highly regarded (nor as talented you'd think) and will probably just become trade chips soon. |I

Last edited:
He's only 23. Not everybody is going to be a Jimmie Foxx or Mel Ott. The only thing that concerns me is that Chris Stratton was called up and he was drafted a couple of years after Crick.

I bet the Brewers will ask a top pitcher prospect and Christian Arroyo. Too much, IMO.

I'd like to see a big name like Braun come to SF...but the Giants have won three championships without a 'superstar' name.

I bet the Brewers will ask a top pitcher prospect and Christian Arroyo. Too much, IMO.

I'd like to see a big name like Braun come to SF...but the Giants have won three championships without a 'superstar' name.

You're superstars are homegrown, and you have no shortage of them:

Lincecum
Cain
Wilson
Posey

Posey
Cain
Bumgarner

Posey
Bumgarner

They're not scrubs.

You're superstars are homegrown, and you have no shortage of them:

Lincecum
Cain
Wilson
Posey

Posey
Cain
Bumgarner

Posey
Bumgarner

They're not scrubs.
I guess I should have rephrased my statement meaning they didn't buy or trade for established superstars to win those championships? lol

Last edited:
Kyle Crick will not get us anything significant. He's probably not going to pan out. He's been stuck in AA for 3 years now. His walk rate is enormous, and has been since he got drafted in 2011. If he ever does make it up to the Majors, it'll be as a reliever. He's no longer a top prospect for us.

The next 5 or so series look very winnable. One game at a time... Let's get some more separation between us and LA.

^ IMO all the series up until the all-star break look pretty winnable. August could be tough though.

belted 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom